Charles Fischer

Poncho Perfect? No Bad Snaps…

I’m going to check it when I go back through the game later, but I do not recall a single bad snap by Poncho, and considering how well we ran the ball, it was impressive.  I did not notice any glaring deficiencies from our freshman replacement at center.

Anybody else notice anything?

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Nice catch, Charles.  Bodes well for next year to have Poncho at the critical Center of the O-line.

• Thanks 1

I saw a few low snaps... But not dreadfully low. Just that Nix had to bend down a bit to grab them. Those were in the first quarter. By the second quarter I didn't notice anything with the snaps. 

So maybe not perfect but darn close. 

None of the low snaps were ever in any danger but they could have been directly into Nix's hands rather than making him go get them. 

But that's a vertical problem and not horizontal which is far worse in terms of snaps.

We were due after the Doug Brenner situation in 2015.

• Whew! 1
  • Like 1

He may have missed a few blocking adjustment calls when Bo was pushed out of the pocket a bit early, but not much else. Huge piece of next year’s puzzle sliding into place.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 total penalties in the game...I noticed that

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

He was my primary concern for the offense heading into the game. Going from the nation’s best center to a freshman is a big step back but he did pretty well considering the circumstances. Good effort to build on going into next season when he faces much tougher teams.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Did anyone touch Nix?

• Like 1

What were the post game awards?

Bo - Offensive MVP

Bassa - Defensive MVP

On 1/1/2024 at 3:19 PM, JDuck said:

2 total penalties in the game

💯

I was going to point this out too.

Did we really clean things up or did we just have non-pac-12 refs?

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Here is an article from the Postgame thread regarding Poncho's perfermance...

Oregon OL Iapani Laloulu on first career start in Fiesta Bowl: 'I've been practicing for this moment'

247SPORTS.COM

In his first career start, Iapani Laloulu was outstanding in the Ducks Fiesta Bowl victory.

• Thumbs Up 2

""He did amazing," said Jackson Powers-Johnson postgame. "Not just as a freshman but as a center. He did an amazing job leading his group. Great snaps, great everything. I'm really proud of him... I just told him that it's his time and he's on his way to greatness. And this is the night to start it off, and he did great."

(Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early)

Thanks so much to Pennsylvania Duck for posting that article above and ALL that she and NJDuck give us every day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

We were due after the Doug Brenner situation in 2015.

Actually that one is pretty interesting. 

Apparently there was a discussion within the coaching staff about playing Jake Hansen, who would be the starting center for the next four years, but Hansen at that time still had his redshirt. 

Helfrich and the coaching staff were not willing to burn his redshirt for about a half a game's worth of play. 

The redshirt rules have changed a lot since then. Now players can play four regular season games and the bowl game without burning the redshirt. 

That doesn't defend the defensive collapse that game but I do agree with the decision to preserve a redshirt in a non playoff bowl game. 

Fantastic job by Poncho!  Played like an experienced senior.

Kudos for Coach A'LIQUE TERRY for coaching an awesome offensive line this year!  Amazing job by our young coach!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:19 PM, David Marsh said:

Apparently there was a discussion within the coaching staff about playing Jake Hansen, who would be the starting center for the next four years, but Hansen at that time still had his redshirt. 

Helfrich and the coaching staff were not willing to burn his redshirt for about a half a game's worth of play. 

The redshirt rules have changed a lot since then. Now players can play four regular season games and the bowl game without burning the redshirt. 

That doesn't defend the defensive collapse that game but I do agree with the decision to preserve a redshirt in a non playoff bowl game. 

Especially since he would start the 2019 season and anchor the team to a Pac 12 championship and Rose Bowl win.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2024 at 2:35 PM, David Marsh said:

I saw a few low snaps... But not dreadfully low. 

Nothing like the debacle that Alabama had with two snaps in the dirt in a row. Pancho had a really good game and it's exciting to think how he will improve once the job is his in 2024. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/1/2024 at 6:19 PM, David Marsh said:

That's actually really interesting, I hadn't noticed they made that rule change for bowl games with regards to redshirting.  

I would imagine had Helfrich went with Hansen, the outcome would've been different.  Jeff Lockie wasn't uber talented but I think he had enough to crawl over the finish line if he weren't struggling to grab low/bad snaps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Couple that were low and I remember Bo reaching outside right ear but he did a great job in my mind.

Important thing is he didn’t cost any yardage that I can remember.  

• Go Ducks! 1