FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: Who Was Your Favorite Duck of 2023?

The 2023 season of Oregon Ducks football was a fantastic one, to say the least. Bo Nix led one of Oregon’s most efficient offenses of all time, Troy Franklin became one of Oregon’s best receivers ever, and countless other superstars stepped up all over the field. Regardless of only finishing in the Fiesta Bowl, this was a season to remember, and there’s ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The 2023 season of Oregon Ducks football was a fantastic one, to say the least. Bo Nix led one of Oregon’s most efficient offenses of all time…
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Defense, Evan Williams some great highlights, but the effort with that mitt was relentless. 

Offense, Bo Nix, his maturity and guidance on the field was priceless.

Most excited about is Holden. He had moments where he was unstoppable.

My favorite Duck, Dan Lanning! He is Duck Football.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Very good question and I would have answered differently during the course of the season.

Overall leadership, hands down, would have to go to Bo Nix.  Loved watching him command and operate the offense and was a wonderful thing to behold.

However my favorite overall player(s) this season would have been a darn near dead heat between Bucky (Bruiser) Irving, especially the first half of the season, and Troy (Touchdown) Franklin.  

Both of these players displayed "football smarts" and outstanding athletic ability.  Bucky does NOT "go down" and in fact seems to relish who and how hard he will hit any potential tacklers at the end of each run.  Troy can out cut, out maneuver, out run any pass defender on the fly and has an uncanny ability to win most 50/50 balls.  His length and speed will be of advantage at the next level.

The fact that these two outstanding players were somewhat..overlooked...in all of the end of season rankings/awards only means that some NFL team is going to pickup a diamond in the rough and I can almost guarantee we will be hearing these two names mentioned, regularly, during NFL games next year.

Guess we will follow through the "How are our Pro Ducks doing" thread.  Go Quackers!

• Thumbs Up 1

I said it at the beginning of the season so I'll say it again...JPJ for my money.  Led what many believed might be a suspicious unit this year to one of the best in the country.

As far as defense goes, that's a tough one since most everyone improved and played hard.  Can I say, I look forward to the future potential of Matayo (don't ask me to spell his last name), Purchase, and Tuioti(yes I cheated this time)!  Those dudes motors are racing at all times.  I look forward to seeing how they are used the next couple years!!

For me, Tez Johnson. From everything this kid has been through, to being the all time leader in receptions in his first year with OBD, this kid has something special. 

Honorable mentions:

Bucky & Jordan - for keeping that rock moving on the ground. 

Bo (of course) - well, for obvious reasons.

T-Ferg & Lil' Herbert - for their outstanding contributions along the line. 

JPJ - again, for obvious reasons. 

The entire Defense - for being so vastly improved in this regimes second year. 

And lastly, the rest of the 2023 transfer players - for having such a positive impact on the team.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2024 at 9:45 AM, Krsmqn said:

For me, Tez Johnson. From everything this kid has been through, to being the all time leader in receptions in his first year with OBD, this kid has something special. 

Honorable mentions:

Bucky & Jordan - for keeping that rock moving on the ground. 

Bo (of course) - well, for obvious reasons.

T-Ferg & Lil' Herbert - for their outstanding contributions along the line. 

JPJ - again, for obvious reasons. 

The entire Defense - for being so vastly improved in this regimes second year. 

And lastly, the rest of the 2023 transfer players - for having such a positive impact on the team.

Could not agree more about the defense.   Dan knew when he took the job rebuilding the defense was priority 1.  He continues to address it via the portal and recruiting.  

They were so much better coached than under the previous regime.

For me, it was Troy Franklin. 

Dude's a monster!

• Thumbs Up 1

First half... Bucky Irving, he was a beast early in the season but seemed to drop off a bit as the season wore on. 

Second half... Troy Franklin, he just couldn't be stopped it felt like. 

Bo Nix. Leadership, loyalty, and the fact that he's acknowledged how wonderful everything about his Oregon tenure has been, basically life-enhancing. Thanks for being the man, Bo. 

Most fun: Bucky n Tez

Most valuable: Bo/JPJ

• Thumbs Up 1

I love watching players emerge, or improve and get their confidence.  Seeing Bassa answer the call at inside linebacker, and watching Tez explode in the last half of the season was great fun for me.

Oregon Football: Brandon Dorlus, Jeffrey Bassa shine in Ducks' win

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Bucky.  After Whittington went down for the season early, Bucky delivered.  Also, caught 56 passes and was consistent catching rather than dropping them.

I could comment on 10 or more guys, but I interpreted Charles challenge as to pick just one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tez.

T-Ferg! Seemed like every one of his plays came at an opportunistic moment.

If it is only one, then Bo.

Not only what he did on the field, his ambassadorship for the program AND that he came back. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

This is hard for me. I would say Tez and Troy but I also have to say Bucky and Bo as well. The D was a heck of a lot more improved from last year too. GO DUCKS!!!!!!

AND!!!! lets not forget that our O would not be as effective without our O Line.

• Thumbs Up 1