David Marsh

Who Even Wants the Husky Job?

First off we got a clear indication with Saban retiring of a couple things. 

1. Oregon is in the upper tier of desirable jobs because Lanning did not leave. 

2. Washington is not in that top tier but the are probably in a tier just below that upper tier. The Huskies are a good program but seem to be where Oregon has been for a long time, a nice place to coach until something better comes up.

There will be those who want the Washington job. However there are are few things that make this job a tough sell RIGHT NOW.

1. Recruiting classes have signed and the winter portal is wrapping up. Sure there will be some new additions to the portal from the playoff teams but that's not a whole lot and they'll be competing with every other team out there. Building the roster up right now isn't going to be easy. 

2. The cupboard is bare. Washington road a team of vets to the title game many in their 5th or 6th years. Some of those who are not out of eligibility are already entering the transfer portal. 

Which points back to point no. 1 where replacing this talent via the portal or traditional recruiting will be very difficult. The spring portal will open but that portal time is never as good as the winter portal. The Huskies are entering a big rebuild. 

3. Why would a power 5 head coach leave their current school where they are set up for the next season to go to Washington? Jedd Fisch's name comes up as a potential new HC at Washington, I doubt he looks at that job as anything more than leverage for his current contract. 

Arizona offers just as much access right now the playoff if not more than Washington for Fisch because Zona stands a very good chance of winning the Big 12. Washington meanwhile will need a roster rebuild and is probably looking at atleast 3+ losses next year. 

Even if a power conference head coach were to leave their school for the Huskies they couldn't bring their roster with them yet because the portal window is closed. They'll have to wait till spring. 

The time of year this has happened is perhaps the most painful. The coaching carousel is winding down and the Huskies are only now hopping on. 

4. Coordinators/non head coaches and Group of five coaches are the only targets for the Huskies. Group of five coaches might look at the Husky job as worth it. It's a personal rebuild. Only those who see this job as worth it right now will jump at it. 

Everyone else may just stay out for a year because a power coaching job will open up next year regardless and at a time they could actually make changes because the early signing period and portal are both in play. 

Most coaches are settled for next season.

5. With all previously stated let's add one more problem for the Husky's new head coach. Hiring assistants will also be rough. The best parts of the Husky staff are expected to head to Bama which means whoever takes the job might have to settle on the rest of the staff as they search to cobble together a staff.

This is probably the easiest problem to solve potentially because getting assistant coaches to move around is probably easier because there aren't many rules about it. But trying to pry assistants away from places where they're at to join a rebuild this late in the season will probably be harder than normal. 

So who actually wants this job? No big names that's for sure... But as frick fans we get to kick back and watch the chaos. 

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Arizona is a fiscal dumpster fire, I’m guessing Fisch will jump by Tuesday 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, David Marsh said:

2. Washington is not in that top tier but the are probably in a tier just below that upper tier. The Huskies are a good program but seem to be where Oregon has been for a long time, a nice place to coach until something better comes up.

There will be those who want the Washington job. However there are are few things that make this job a tough sell RIGHT NOW.

1. Recruiting classes have signed and the winter portal is wrapping up. Sure there will be some new additions to the portal from the playoff teams but that's not a whole lot and they'll be competing with every other team out there. Building the roster up right now isn't going to be easy. 

2. The cupboard is bare. Washington road a team of vets to the title game many in their 5th or 6th years. Some of those who are not out of eligibility are already entering the transfer portal. 

Which points back to point no. 1 where replacing this talent via the portal or traditional recruiting will be very difficult. The spring portal will open but that portal time is never as good as the winter portal. The Huskies are entering a big rebuild. 

3. Why would a power 5 head coach leave their current school where they are set up for the next season to go to Washington? Jedd Fisch's name comes up as a potential new HC at Washington, I doubt he looks at that job as anything more than leverage for his current contract. 

Arizona offers just as much access right now the playoff if not more than Washington for Fisch because Zona stands a very good chance of winning the Big 12. Washington meanwhile will need a roster rebuild and is probably looking at atleast 3+ losses next year. 

Even if a power conference head coach were to leave their school for the Huskies they couldn't bring their roster with them yet because the portal window is closed. They'll have to wait till spring. 

The time of year this has happened is perhaps the most painful. The coaching carousel is winding down and the Huskies are only now hopping on. 

4. Coordinators/non head coaches and Group of five coaches are the only targets for the Huskies. Group of five coaches might look at the Husky job as worth it. It's a personal rebuild. Only those who see this job as worth it right now will jump at it. 

Everyone else may just stay out for a year because a power coaching job will open up next year regardless and at a time they could actually make changes because the early signing period and portal are both in play. 

Most coaches are settled for next season.

5. With all previously stated let's add one more problem for the Husky's new head coach. Hiring assistants will also be rough. The best parts of the Husky staff are expected to head to Bama which means whoever takes the job might have to settle on the rest of the staff as they search to cobble together a staff.

This is probably the easiest problem to solve potentially because getting assistant coaches to move around is probably easier because there aren't many rules about it. But trying to pry assistants away from places where they're at to join a rebuild this late in the season will probably be harder than normal. 

So who actually wants this job? No big names that's for sure... But as frick fans we get to kick back and 

If I were a Husky, I'd suggest maybe dusting off Rick Neuweasel.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:22 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Arizona is a fiscal dumpster fire, I’m guessing Fisch will jump by Tuesday 

Washington isn't any better in that regard. Husky athletics is kinda underwater as well. 

On 1/13/2024 at 12:23 PM, Desert Duck said:

Perhaps sign him to a one year contract while prepping for something more long term? That could be a decent plan. 

Their next season isn't going to be good regardless. 

Arizona discovered a $250m mistake recently, major dumpster. They ideally need a coach that can bring a young QB along…totally would have been wanting Fisch if DL had left.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/13/2024 at 1:24 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Arizona discovered a $250m mistake recently, major dumpster

Fisch is a strong possibility that I hadn't thought about. The Arizona athletic programs are in a world of financial hurt, and it is not going to get better anytime soon.

"Arizona’s athletic department was given a $55 million loan during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic that hasn’t been paid back..."

WWW.FOX10PHOENIX.COM

The University of Arizona will not cut any sports as it tries to...

And

TUCSON, Ariz. - University of Arizona President Robert Robbins says in order for the school to get its finances back in order, employees will be laid off.

The Southern Arizona-based public university is grappling with a $240 million miscalculation of its predicted cash on hand, and Robbins told the university's Faculty Senate that there will be employee layoffs in the Athletics Office.

On 1/13/2024 at 12:32 PM, Desert Duck said:

Fisch is a strong possibility that I hadn't thought about. The Arizona athletic programs are in a world of financial hurt, and it is not going to get better anytime soon.

"Arizona’s athletic department was given a $55 million loan during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic that hasn’t been paid back..."

WWW.FOX10PHOENIX.COM

The University of Arizona will not cut any sports as it tries to...

But here's the follow up to that... It means that Fisch will probably not be around at Zona for the long term, but he can go a LONG way in upping his stock if he sticks around for one more year and gets to the playoff. 

He's set to do it... And he was planning on being there for at least another year already. So why bolt at this moment? He'll have opportunities next season regardless. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:38 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

TUCSON, Ariz. - University of Arizona President Robert Robbins says in order for the school to get its finances back in order, employees will be laid off.

But they won't touch football or men's basketball. Those two make them money. 

Edited by David Marsh

Chance to double salary and go to the B1G seem like compelling reasons.

I’m sure they won’t touch football in an overt manner, but salary wise would they be able to (politically and fiscally) double their coaches salary? Keep assistant coaches?

This is the way for them I think

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

'Even if a power conference head coach were to leave their school for the Huskies they couldn't bring their roster with them yet because the portal window is closed. They'll have to wait till spring.' 

I thought the ability to enter the portal opened up once a coach leaves a program. Husky players are entering the portal now due to DeBoer leaving for Alabama. This would make the Husky job more attractive to a current power 5 coach vs not being able to bring players from their old team.

Seems like there are two answer to this question based on history.

Either somebody who is going to begin another round of 12 losses to the Ducks, or lead the dawgs to another run at the title only to come up short and then leave.

My bet another series of coaches who will lose another 12 straight to the Ducks. 

Unknown.jpeg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1

If I'm Fisch, I stay at Zona, win the B12 then take the next good BIG or SEC job that opens up. I'd rather be the next Florida coach than put out the kennel fire up north.

On 1/13/2024 at 12:18 PM, David Marsh said:

I hate the Huskies as much as anyone but I believe the difference between what happened at each school this week had more to do with the coaches at each school than one school being a destination and the other a steeping stone.

Oregon is a destination school for Coach Lanning because he chose to make it his destination school. Lanning is building a program that can win a national title because of his recruiting ability and the support he receives from his family and the University of Oregon. A different coach might still see Oregon as a stepping stone. Just like DeBoer saw UW as a stepping stone. Fortunately OBD hired the right person this time. Thank you Coach Lanning for making Oregon your destination school.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, JB89 said:

'Even if a power conference head coach were to leave their school for the Huskies they couldn't bring their roster with them yet because the portal window is closed. They'll have to wait till spring.' 

I thought the ability to enter the portal opened up once a coach leaves a program. Husky players are entering the portal now due to DeBoer leaving for Alabama. This would make the Husky job more attractive to a current power 5 coach vs not being able to bring players from their old team.

I know there is a 30 day window for CFP teams to allow players to enter after the playoff games..that's the window that many Huskies and Bama players are currently taking advantage of.

I know there other rules on place for players when there are coaching changes. One of which is a bonus official visit to get to know the new coach. 

If a mid-tier coach like Deboer can lead the Huskies to the finals of the NC in his second year, who’s to say the new coach can’t pull off a rebuild in 2-3 years?  KD hit gold with the portal (Penix, D Johnson).  Success via the portal will be a key factor in revitalizing the dawg pound.  Salvaging what’s left of the current recruits is key, among them is QB Jackson Kollock (class of ‘25), a late bloomer destined to be a 5* by end of next season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:23 PM, Desert Duck said:

Nah, the Weasel looks too old and brittle. I doubt he'd survive trying to dance on the turf, again.

If I were the Huskies AD (that's hard to imagine) I would put Grubb (or someone else) as Interim or on a one-year contract and then find the guy. If they took some old successful retired coach, paid him a ton of money, and made him be part of finding the next coach, they could actually get a solid coach, and there would be greater satisfaction in smashing the Huskies year after year than if they were crippled. I mean... not that that wouldn't be satisfying... but it's even better if the Huskies think of themselves as good and then we crush them.

On 1/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, JB89 said:

Oregon is a destination school for Coach Lanning because he chose to make it his destination school. Lanning is building a program that can win a national title because of his recruiting ability and the support he receives from his family and the University of Oregon. A different coach might still see Oregon as a stepping stone. Just like DeBoer saw UW as a stepping stone. Fortunately OBD hired the right person this time. Thank you Coach Lanning for making Oregon your destination school.

True, Lanning has opted to make Oregon a destination school. 

But resource wise Oregon has just as many resources as the big schools out there ... The Bama's, TAMU, Texas, OSU, USC and such.

Maybe not quite as much and we certainly don't sit in a recruiting hotbed like them. But in terms of facilities and branding and NIL.. Absolutely there with the blue bloods.

Can't say the same about Washington. 

Great comments and thoights on this thread.. ..

The huskies should make a big time, top 10 pay check offer to CP. Start at the Top, then work down. Costs nothing but fuel in the jet to go see him.

Get his thoughts at least. Maybe a short gig to bridge the gap.  Pete is high class and quality. At the very least, name a current assistant, with Pete as a consultant.

As for Arizona, Fisch has no pressure on him. At uw, CP and Deboer set a high bar of expectations.

Depending on the big 12 conference  revenue split, Arizona can cut into that deficit with a CFP game. They say 20-30 million for first round games. Quarterfinals $30-40 million. 

The expanded playoffs will be a cash cow. Why climb over Michigan, tOSU, PSU and Oregon to get an invite. No such powerhouse teams in the little big 12.

Stay home, leverage a pay raise with CFP appearance bonuses.   Recruit Texas, Florida and Cali from Tuscon.

Build your own legend. 

Most likely he will move to armpit that Seattle has become.

Best of luck to all.

The Ducks, DL, this year got a lot out of very good players, doing more with more.  On the other hand ask Riley, Jimbo, MarinoO, and a few others how easy that is, they did less with more. 

Looks to me we might end up with as good or better roster than 2023 and Dan is not done yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:48 PM, Just Ducky said:

Looks to me we might end up with as good or better roster than 2023 and Dan is not done yet.

Better roster! 

I think our blue chip ratio may be around 70% next season. And that's with some of those blue chippers developing over the past couple of years. 

Think of all those freshman and sophomores who played snaps are starting to come into their own. 

Think of Florence who was solid last year getting even better! 

Yep! This is actually the reason why I think they let Grubb go to Bama, and even pass on Pete Carroll if he was interested.

Fisch would bring his coaches, his starters and finish off the roster in the spring with more portal transfers. It would be like Riley's first year at USC.

Yes it will be harder to win in the B1G than B12, doubling his salary would ease the pain.

• Thumbs Up 1

My understanding is that once a coach leaves...the players on the departing team have 30 days to enter the portal and transfer.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/13/2024 at 1:44 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

As for Arizona, Fisch has no pressure on him. At uw, CP and Deboer set a high bar of expectations.

Oooh.  Good point, as any coach that comes to Washington has to put up with crazy, deluded expectations of that fan base.  They love him in Tucson...why leave?

Husky Fans Now...

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Do you know what it is called....

When your expectation of things to come don't meet the realization of the actual end result

Or

When your entitlement visions dont match reality?

That would ve called a husky or trojan fan......

I guess the sky actually fell at Montlake! What a great week....

Go Ducks!

• Applause 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:29 PM, David Marsh said:

I know there is a 30 day window for CFP teams to allow players to enter after the playoff games..that's the window that many Huskies and Bama players are currently taking advantage of.

I know there other rules on place for players when there are coaching changes. One of which is a bonus official visit to get to know the new coach. 

David, I am enjoying the discussion. Thanks for your original post and your other responses. I found some information that the NCAA added a 30 day window for transfers starting when a coach leaves a program. See links below.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligibility/transfers/D1_TransferRulesQuickTipsCoaches.pdf

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/alabama-football-nick-saban-retirement-transfer-portal-player-rules

On 1/13/2024 at 4:35 PM, JB89 said:

David, I am enjoying the discussion. Thanks for your original post and your other responses. I found some information that the NCAA added a 30 day window for transfers starting when a coach leaves a program. See links below.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligibility/transfers/D1_TransferRulesQuickTipsCoaches.pdf

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/alabama-football-nick-saban-retirement-transfer-portal-player-rules

That helps thanks. Hard to keep track of all the rules these days. 

So theoretically Fisch could take the UW job and take a bunch of his players with him if they wanted. 

But to me Fisch staying out at Zona is just as likely because he has his entire roster that he built and probably a better shot af the playoff next year. 

Then leverage that into another coaching gig in the power 2 if he wanted next year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If I was Fisch, I would wait for the Florida job to open up next year.  Easier recruiting territory.

On 1/13/2024 at 1:16 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

If I'm Fisch, I stay at Zona, win the B12 then take the next good BIG or SEC job that opens up. I'd rather be the next Florida coach than put out the kennel fire up north.

This is exactly what I see him doing.  He is a Florida guy and that job could very well open next year.

On 1/13/2024 at 5:15 PM, crazyjeff said:

If I was Fisch, I would wait for the Florida job to open up next year.  Easier recruiting territory.

And if he makes the playoff with Zona he'll be in a fantastic spot to land it. 

Mr. FishDuck