FishDuck Article

From a Former Midwesterner: The Fun B1G Road Games

As a transplanted Iowa Hawkeye, I thought it might be fun to pass along a few thoughts (irreverent ones, perhaps) on some of OBD future opponents from the Midwest and beyond. I was able to pull Mr. FishDuck from his fun with roobet crash game to hear his enthusiasm about our upcoming B1G games, and meeting their fans. Starting with ...

FISHDUCK.COM

As a transplanted Iowa Hawkeye, I thought it might be fun to pass along a few thoughts (irreverent ones, perhaps) on some of OBD...

• Applause 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

2023 Enrollment totals….Grad and undergrad….(useless trivia info)

Oregon.                           26,843

tOSU main campus.        60,540.   

Illinois.                             56,916

Minn.                               54,955

Purdue.                           51,528

Mich.                               51,225

Rutgers.                          50,737

Penn.                              50,028

MSU.                               50,023

Wis                                  48,956

Indiana.                           47,002

Maryland.                        40,792

Neb.                                23,805

Northw.                            23,161

I attended Oregon many moons ago. When possible I enjoy strolling through the campus for the memories, and to see the changes over the years.  

Taking a stroll around campus takes on a new meaning at some of the BIG Ten campuses. Students really have to plan ahead for that class across campus. 

For anyone wanting to see some of these campuses while attending an away game. Bring comfortable shoes.

• Applause 1

Thanks for the fun read, Don.  We now know a bit of what to look for next season.  Will you be attending the Iowa game in IA?  And cheering for the Ducks, I hope.

Ordinarily, my mother was not especially interested in football, except for Iowa games. However, she graduated from the nursing school there, had attended some games as a student, and so she cheered for Iowa during football season.

• Applause 1

It’s true that the Ducks haven’t won Yet in most of those stadiums, however the shu and the big house aren’t on that list. Dixon made Michigan look like Portland State and Anthony Browns group did well at the shu scoring on the same play twice. Slow learners maybe.

Confidence is high for this Duck fan. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Don...this is a great article to get our juices going about visiting B1G teams.  And midwestern people are the best, and thus I believe Oregon fans would have fun going to mutual tailgates.

Note to all: A few of us are planning to go to Penn State in 2025 and hang out with NJDuck, and Pennsylvania Duck and go to the Oregon vs. Penn State Whiteout.  It would be cool to get a group of OBD members and readers to join us!

I plan to visit most of the stadiums of the B1G over the years.  Such a fun article and THANKS to Don!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hi will attending most of the away games the first three years in the B1G.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:08 AM, criticalduck said:

Hi will attending most of the away games the first three years in the B1G.

Have a friend that attended every away game for a year. Kind of a milestone birthday thing…

Unfortunately, his milestone birthday thing was in 2016.

Safe travels.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the 28 years of season tickets we have managed to visit 8 of the Pac 12 venues.  Unfortunately with the demise of the Pac 12  there is no longer a reason to see Standford, Colorado or Tempe. I like to drive and my travel mantra has been " I'll go anyplace for two good reasons". The reasonably compact region of the Pac allowed us to drive to most of the campuses in two days, but being older now is why we never made the bonzi runs to Colorado or Tempe. 

With the expanse of our new conference travel plans will necessitate flying, an added expense for us old retired fans. We have long had the Henry Ford Museum on our bucket list so maybe we can work out a trip to Ann Arbor. There is also a great Hot Rod racing museum in Lincoln that has doubled in size since we were there 25 years ago. In our travels we have visited or passed thru 49 states with only Hawaii left to see. You think I'm pissed about the cancelation of that game. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One of the best things about Big Ten stadiums is their geographic locations due to the stadiums' age, i.e. built close to campus.  With a couple exceptions, like Penn State and Rutgers to name two, the stadiums are on campus or very close.

Depending on the site that can reduce nearby parking but gives gameday an ambience of college atmosphere.  You can walk thru campus, or have food/drink at nearby campus hangouts before or after the game.

In some cases, it can lead to unique tailgating.  For example, at Iowa the original stadium is old enough that neighborhood houses arrived afterwards.  And, those homeowners "rent" their front yards/driveways for tailgating on game days.  Including, for a price, adding a porta-potty in the driveway.  People make season long reservations $$$ to have a spot at a particular street address close to the stadium.  That address makes it easy for friends to find your tailgater.  You can tell them whether there will be available parking, or whether they have to walk to that address.  And, season long reservations means the friends always know where to find you.

This can mean traffic jams after games, but with stadiums much higher capacity than Autzen you should expect that regardless.  Many have shuttles from perimeter parking lots into the stadium area.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

One additional note about B!G games:  The pleasure of watching and listening to traditional large marching bands.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

Thanks David.

The history of "jump around" is a fun read/listen.  ESPN did a story on it.

• Thanks 1

The only stadiums I didn't visit for the Pac12 were Colorado and Utah. If we play them OOC I will go because it'll be early in the season.

• Applause 1

Thank you, Don. A great and fun take.

I have been blessed to watch Michigan take on Notre Dame in the B1G House and was there with my daughter Hillary, a Junior at Colorado at the time for the Kordell Stewart Hail-Mary pass to Michael Westbrook. I was also there to watch Neon Deion play Elvis when FSU visited Michigan with Deion Sanders at CB going against Michigan QB Elvis Grbac. Bobby Bowden's FSU team prevailed.

I have attended a Colorado at Nebraska game. The fans were gracious and the in-stadium experience was fun but do not go out of your way to visit Lincoln. The Cornhuskers won the game.

I have attended for some reason a Michigan State game when Sparty played Purdue. Probably something about a girl?

I was in The Shoe when it was still a horseshoe and had not been enclosed to watch Oregon play the Buckeyes in 1987. The attendance that day, 9/19/87, was 89.882 and not the 100K+ we see today with the enclosed stadium. The Ducks, led by HC Rich Brooks, OC, and future UCLA coach, Bob Toledo, with Bill Musgrave playing QB gave the Buckeyes a battle before, losing 14 to 24. 

I have not been to a game in Madison or Minneapolis but have visited both campuses. In the summer, Madison, with the campus sitting on Lake Mendota. is beyond beautiful. Much of the movie 'Back to School' was filmed on the Wisconsin campus including the scenes by the lake. But in November? The Minnesota campus is adjacent to the Mississippi River but you cannot see the river for the trees. The Wisconsin campus has it all over the Gopher campus in terms of beauty and architecture. But Minneapolis is worth the trip.

I have also been to Evansville and Northwestern for a basketball and not a football game. Another beautiful campus, the most "Ivy League" of the B1G campuses. The NW campus is situated on the Lake Michigan shoreline. 97-year-old Ryan Stadium is being modernized and reduced in seating capacity by 12,000 seats to a total of 35,000. The majority of the money for the rehab is being paid for by descendants of the original Ryan-Stadium family. NW, now the only private school in the current B1G will be joined by USC.

NW, as Don noted, was more physical than a physical Utah team in its bowl win in Las Vegas. I think the NW's 2024 B1G opener at UW (Washington not Wisconsin) on 9/21/24 could be very interesting.

Thanks for the 'Breaking Away' reference. A great sports movie that is far too obscure.

My closest claim to football fame? I was born in Toledo. Ohio in the same hospital as Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer. So, I have that going for me; which is nice.

Thanks again, Don.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Don...this is a great article to get our juices going about visiting B1G teams.  And midwestern people are the best, and thus I believe Oregon fans would have fun going to mutual tailgates.

Note to all: A few of us are planning to go to Penn State in 2025 and hang out with NJDuck, and Pennsylvania Duck and go to the Oregon vs. Penn State Whiteout.  It would be cool to get a group of OBD members and readers to join us!

I plan to visit most of the stadiums of the B1G over the years.  Such a fun article and THANKS to Don!

Please forward the details of The White Out Experience when possible. Sounds great!