Joe F

Is Miami TOO MUCH for Mario Cristobal?

Interesting comments here.

Some more enlightened thoughts about Mario's lack of "in game" skill set

I watched this horror movie for years.

The monster kept coming back year after year with lots of young high school victims in hand before folks who must have watched the game in Columbus, and that's it, put a net filled with money over the monster's head and dragged him back to Swamp Land.  

Now they figure it out? Thank goodness.

Some fun belly laughs in that interview, if you have the time to watch it all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the statement / question.

Paraphrasing...

"Is this management stuff going to impact in a negative way Cristobal's development as an in-game coach?"

The short answer is... No.

Because Cristobal isn't going to change! Most of his in-game problems aren't anything new and if he actually focused on his in-game management he would have fixed these problems years ago.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And as to the question about what are the peaks and vallys for Mario Cristobal.

I brought this up a few years ago.

FISHDUCK.COM

Mario Cristobal will be Oregon’s head coach in 2022. The only way this doesn’t happen is if he opts to leave for another program, which is highly unlikely.

He creates so much hope in the off season by recruiting well and changing up his coaching staff that he just gives out Hope-ium. It's super addictive and I know I was suckered in multiple times over the Cristobal era. The offense was bad under Arroyo but he just brought in an offensive guru in Moorehead so it has to be better the next season... it was better but not up to the standard of the talent.

Well... maybe Cristobal needed his guys... he recruited well and so many of them just under-preformed under Cristobal. Tyler Shough wasn't going to be the next Mariota or Herbert but he could have been so much more for Oregon.

Glad we have Lanning now.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Recognizing you have a problem is the first step in fixing it. After watching Mario at Oregon and now at Miami, I'm not so sure he sees any problem with in-game decision making. 

Recruiting at a high level and expecting to have a top-notch football team is like buying a 1967 Stratocaster and expecting to play like Jimi Hendrix... It's not going to happen. Having great tools helps but ya still have to know what to do with them. 

I'm glad we have Dan.  He's a new head coach and makes some mistakes because of that but OBD seem to be good a self-scouting and correcting things.

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Miami fans have certainly picked up on what we know about Mario.  On their forums, they're super excited about his recruiting chops and the talent he brings, but they whine continuously about what a lousy game coach he is.  He's blamed for losing several games from bonehead in game decisions.  It's fun to read their posts, especially during the season.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mario's fatal flaw has always been his inability to constructively process constructive criticism. He preaches tough love. He can dish it out, but can't take it himself.

In addition to his lack of change over the years in coaching approach, he also doesn't have an inner circle (He admitted when he left he doesn't have one which made the decision to leave Oregon for Miami tougher).

Those things are proof he just can't see any way that is not his way and anyone that doesn't see it his way will be pushed away. 

It brings up a saying I have. "If someone really wanted to change, then they would already have done it." Mario is the ultimate example.

• Applause 1

On 2/18/2024 at 8:25 AM, Duxster said:

Recognizing you have a problem is the first step in fixing it. After watching Mario at Oregon and now at Miami, I'm not so sure he sees any problem with in-game decision making. 

Recruiting at a high level and expecting to have a top-notch football team is like buying a 1967 Stratocaster and expecting to play like Jimi Hendrix... It's not going to happen. Having great tools helps but ya still have to know what to do with them. 

I'm glad we have Dan.  He's a new head coach and makes some mistakes because of that but OBD seem to be good a self-scouting and correcting things.

That Hendrix reference is epic!😉👍

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/18/2024 at 3:57 PM, Solar said:

In addition to his lack of change over the years in coaching approach, he also doesn't have an inner circle

Alex Mirabal is probably the only one in his inner circle. 

Can't think of anyone else who has been that consistent around him. 

I was one who sharply criticized some of his in-game decisions (not always publicly) the first year I started following Duck football more closely. Some were dreadful to be sure. He doesn't seem to learn from mistakes but I'm thinking maybe it is time for us to FINALLY put this guy in the rear-view mirror.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/18/2024 at 10:22 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I was one who sharply criticized some of his in-game decisions (not always publicly) the first year I started following Duck football more closely. Some were dreadful to be sure. He doesn't seem to learn from mistakes but I'm thinking maybe it is time for us to FINALLY put this guy in the rear-view mirror.

Good call. Worked out better in every way and it’s not like he left after 10 months. 

• Applause 1