Charles Fischer

Angry Beavers? "Mr. FishDuck Got Pranked Pretty Well..."

When you operate two websites over a dozen years, publish over 6,000 articles, and write an occasional incendiary one that sets people off...you will make some enemies. Not intentionally, but you cannot please everyone, and after a few hundred episodes with writers, OBD members or butt-hurt Beaver fans--it is unavoidable.

I had a pretty good prank played on me last week, and even I had to laugh at it.  Someone created a Craigslist ad in the business and furniture section, and announced that I was quitting my Charitable Planning business, and was giving away all my office equipment and furniture!

They listed my office address, my cell phone number and plastered some pictures of furniture (not mine) to make it appear pretty real. The text messages and phone calls began at about 7:00 AM one day, and at first...I had no idea what they were talking about.  Yes, I told them that I was still in business and planned to be for another 15 years or so...

Once I figured it out, I asked each person who contacted me to mark the ad as fake, and after this happened about a ten times--the ad was taken down and the phone calls/texts stopped.  It was only a few hours, and in the process had some nice chats with some Duck fans and told them about my sites.  Everybody was very nice, and completely understanding.

You gotta admit--that was a pretty good prank!

After the first phone call/text, I had to laugh.  Someone went to some trouble to create distress for me--and I actually had fun with it.  I suspect they put more work into creating it, than I had in dealing with it.  One who contacted me was actually in my office building and came up to look at the furniture!  We had a couple of laughs about it, and met someone new as a result.

giphy.gif

Good question!  My first thought was my ex-wife, but I really don't think it is worth her trouble.  (She denies it, and I believe her) It could be a former OBD member I torqued-off because of my adherence to the rules.  We did lose two prominent members in the past two months, and they are both tech-savvy enough to have done it.  They broke the rules, and they left on their own accord....but I don't think it was either of them.

I think it was a Beaver fan, because not only do we have the article linked above, but I have poured gas on the fire in the forum recently.

What is your guess?

I would assume this person thought it would be more than a Nothingburger for me, and my having fun with it probably ticks him off.  You gotta admit....it is a pretty good prank!

Thoughts?

• Wow 1
  • Haha 3
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

My thoughts, I would be annoyed.

The fact that they are indirectly “pranking” your business vs. a personal prank makes it somewhat different.  Letting it slide is probably the right solution once. 

It can take years to establish a solid business reputation, and moments to ruin it. 

Craigslist is just a haven for scammers and criminals, so it had to have been a swamp rat. I’m surprised that anyone took the ad seriously. It only took me about one day of searching for boats a few years ago to figure this out. I’ve never looked at that site since. I’m glad they were quick to remove the ad. 

As a former athlete, I took pranks as the ultimate compliment.

No one bothers to prank the 3rd string goalie.

Congratulations, @Charles Fischer!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 3/6/2024 at 6:09 PM, Drake said:

Letting it slide is probably the right solution once. 

Meh.  I got whacked out over this kind of stuff years ago, but when you have hundreds of episodes....it become water-off-this-Duck.

I have current and former OBD members who would swear that I am a terrible person, or that I am a very kind, decent person.  Both are right, depending upon their actions that brought about my responses to them.

I have had a couple of hundred people personally attack me on the other two major Oregon websites in the past....for just a difference of opinion.  So, I've had a TON of people angry at me before, for just going through life as normal.  (As normal would be for me)

So, I appreciate your thoughts, but considering my past--it would take a LOT to get to me now.  This prank?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Have to say I'm not a fan of pranks, and think that one was pretty stinky. Fortunately, Charles, you are savvy enough to have known just how to handle it and put out the fire. Good for you.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 7:17 PM, Annie said:

Good for you

It is the good people here--like you, that make my world-go-roundLove this community...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am Spartacus.

• Haha 1

If no one dislikes you you're doing something wrong.  

Poor Beaver fans.  They had the most influential President in the PAC12 for a decade, and he didn't have the foresight to protect his school, and enhance his Athletic Department's Brand. Now they suffer for it.

Oregon State has one of the best Engineering Schools in the country.  If he protected his more visible Brand like he maintained the reputation of that school, the PAC12 would be alive and kicking right now.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/7/2024 at 7:37 AM, Mike West said:

If he protected his more visible Brand like he maintained the reputation of that school, the PAC12 would be alive and kicking right now.

But now they whined that Oregon didn't take them along, it's a tradition, Oregon should have been more considerate of the other members...we'll show you--we'll take all the money you earned this year and bowl money the next two years and flip you the bird!

On 3/7/2024 at 7:37 AM, Mike West said:

the PAC12 would be alive and kicking right now.

With the way that the "Big-2" have emerged....it is good that we are with one of those leagues now.  It DID turn out for the best for us, and the worst for them.

Pranking is all they have left...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck