Charles Fischer

Oregon is No. 11 Seed: Plays At Pittsburg on Thursday vs. South Carolina

Add your thoughts at the bottom of the thread!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any guesses on our seed?  I'm guessing and hoping for a No. 12, since you have so many upsets of No. 12 vs. No. 5 that occur over the years.  Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I’ve always been a fan of the eleven seed. 6 vs 11 isn’t that scary. 3 vs 11 isn’t bad either and you don’t face a one seed until the elite 8.

I hope they can get a tad better on their 3 ball. 😬 But as long as they create turnovers they have a chance to get to the Elite 8 and beyond.

Lunardi, early Sunday morning (late Saturday night)

11-seed – Oregon vs Tex Tech in Spokane – Midwest Regional

10-seed – Colorado vs 10-seed TCU in Play-in game, winner then vs Utah St in Indianapolis – South Regional

Colorado one of the last four in.

Me...there are four "play-in games" which include the last four in, but that's two games.  So, there has to be two more games matching "higher seeds."  Looking back at prior tournaments those four games include the four 16 seeds and often four of the 11 seeds or 12 seeds.  That is why Lunardi's post about his 10-seeds Colorado/TCU was interesting.

Thus, whatever the Ducks' seed, 10, 11, 12, the primary hope is they are not assigned to a play in game which would mean fewer days of rest before the first game, and would likely be paired with a game somewhere other than Pacific Time Zone.  Better to have a 12 non-play-in, than a 12 play-in.

How to watch Selection Sunday, learn Oregon Ducks' NCAA Tournament matchup

So who can Oregon prepare to play in the first round of the NCAA Tournament? That is something that will be decided on the infamous Selection Sunday. While many teams on the bubble are awaiting their fate, looking to find out if they made the tournament field or not, the Ducks have the luxury of just waiting to see who they will play.

Here is everything you need to know about when and how to watch Selection Sunday:

Date: Sunday, March 17 | Time: 3 p.m. PT, 6 p.m. ET

TV: CBS

The NCAA Tournament will officially begin on Tuesday, with the “First Four” games being played on Tuesday and Wednesday. The first round will then begin on Thursday, and the second round on Saturday. Here is a full schedule for the tournament:

March 19-20: First Four

March 21-22: First round

March 23-24: Second round

March 28-29: Sweet 16

March 30-31: Elite Eight

April 6: Final Four at State Farm Stadium in Phoenix

April 8: Final Four at State Farm Stadium in Phoenix

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

It certainly didn’t feel like Selection Sunday was going to be much of an event for the Oregon Ducks, but as we’ve learned many times in the past, Dana Altman can work some magic in the…

MEN'S BRACKETOLOGY: 2024 NCAA TOURNAMENT

2024 NCAA Tournament projections: NC State, Oregon in; St. John's, Seton Hall left out

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Oregon (Pac-12) and NC State (ACC) each secured a bid, leaving St. John's and Seton Hall on the outside of Mike DeCourcy's latest NCAA Tournament projections.

On 3/17/2024 at 3:26 PM, HDuck said:

Lunardi, early Sunday morning (late Saturday night)

11-seed – Oregon vs Tex Tech in Spokane – Midwest Regional

10-seed – Colorado vs 10-seed TCU in Play-in game, winner then vs Utah St in Indianapolis – South Regional

Colorado one of the last four in.

Me...there are four "play-in games" which include the last four in, but that's two games.  So, there has to be two more games matching "higher seeds."  Looking back at prior tournaments those four games include the four 16 seeds and often four of the 11 seeds or 12 seeds.  That is why Lunardi's post about his 10-seeds Colorado/TCU was interesting.

Thus, whatever the Ducks' seed, 10, 11, 12, the primary hope is they are not assigned to a play in game which would mean fewer days of rest before the first game, and would likely be paired with a game somewhere other than Pacific Time Zone.  Better to have a 12 non-play-in, than a 12 play-in.

So, the Ducks play Texas Tech in Spokane instead of hosting the Red Raiders in Eugene? 

Oregon is 2-0 vs the B12 in the last 2 games so ...  It would be nice to play in Spokane and not in hither and yon. 

A high water mark of 10? A low water mark of 11? 

And I was going to skip the Bracket Show? Not now, no how. 

On 3/17/2024 at 4:31 PM, NJDuck said:

MEN'S BRACKETOLOGY: 2024 NCAA TOURNAMENT

Bracketology or Proctology?

Guys get paid for THIS? It's no worse than 100 or so 'experts' predicting the NFL draft and never showing up post-draft for an accounting. 

This one has the Ducks playing what was once upon a time, new PAC member San Diego State. 

Thank goodness Puddles caught the last B1G plane out.

So, Oregon plays South Carolina in Pittsburgh in the Midwest Regionals, but neither team nor the city is in the Midwest?

• Whew! 1

Good a bracket as we could have hoped for!

Wow they play South Carolina. I don't know anything about their men's team. I know their women's bb is very good, That is where we lost PouPou. I don't know if the men's bb or football have ever played South Carolina. Anyone know anything about them?

What is great about this bracket is that Oregon gets a crack at Creighton in the second round if all goes well. I love to see Altman coach against his old team.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The ducks can shoot threes. When they played Wash. state in Pullman they had 14 3's. Normally Cousinard, Rigsby and Shelshad can do well with threes. Evans also has made threes. I like how they are playing much better on their defense. Altman was going on about that all season. They are also utilizing Dante better. If they can beat Arizona then they have a good chance with most teams. Colorado was also playing really hard against them. I like how they put on the surge at the end of both games.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cousinard transferred from SC if I remember right

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Couisnard was at S. Carolina 2019-2022.

The first/second round games are at various locations which have nothing to do with the geography.  West Region includes opening games in Charlotte and Memphis.

WSU gets screwed with a bit.  They will be in Omaha to face lower seed Drake from Des Moines, Iowa (130 miles).  Then, if win, likely face Iowa State from a short distance (170 miles).

At least WSU is playing for its money.   Each team in the Tournament automatically qualifies their conference for $2 million.  That's $ 8 million that WSU and Beavis will split before a ball is even bounced.  Then, any of the four Pac teams winning creates another $2 million for Beavis to split with WSU.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Yikes! 1

On 3/17/2024 at 4:08 PM, HDuck said:

Pac teams winning creates another $2 million for Beavis to split with WSU.

Pac teams winning creates another $2 million for Beavis to STEAL with WSU.

Changed that for you.....

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/17/2024 at 3:39 PM, Signoramous said:

What is great about this bracket is that Oregon gets a crack at Creighton in the second round if all goes well. I love to see Altman coach against his old team.

I found this extremely interesting as well. Also, Tennessee coach potentially facing his old Texas employer. It says that once the teams are in, it seems that creating drama, or at least interest, is the next paramount criteria. Merit be damned.

On 3/17/2024 at 4:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Pac teams winning creates another $2 million for Beavis to STEAL with WSU.

Changed that for you.....

Stealing if they get it all, which I don’t know if that’s set in stone. That homer judge did warn them they could find themselves back in court.

Even if they do keep it all, it’s unearned breadcrumbs spread over time that will not make them solvent. Assuming all 4 pac team don’t make the elite 8 or something crazy. A minor accounting victory doesn’t make them any less pathetic.

<1%

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

And, by the way, the women's tournament also pays "units."   In recent years they have been worth around $340K.  Six or seven Pac teams in which hands some more money to OSU and WSU, and the deeper run they make, the more money sent to Corvallis and Pullman.

It's like a former spouse taking alimony and throwing your golf clubs in the river...

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Women's tournament announcement today 5:00 pm on ESPN.

On 3/17/2024 at 4:29 PM, HDuck said:

Women's tournament announcement today 5:00 pm on ESPN.

Too bad that doesn't matter to us at OBD......(Sigh!)

• Thumbs Up 1

First line has Oregon a 1.5 pt dog to USC (not those spoiled children). Imagine if they play the same level of defense, feed Dante inside and hit just three more 3pt shots than they did against Colorado. Filling in my bracket for a Duck win

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

OREGON vs USC! USC East. 

South Carolina played well above its SEC preseason ranking of 12. The surprise team of the SEC. USC(e) had a bad SEC tourney game vs Auburn, losing 86 to 55. 

I think with Dante El Fuego this is a good 1st round matchup for the Ducks. Unfortunately in Pittsburgh and not Spokane. 

Win this one and most likely the next game will be played against Creighton. A matchup of birds.

Coaching the Bluejays from 1994 to 2010, Dana went 327-176. With the Ducks, 300+ wins. 

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is some excellent analysis on the game by ESPN. 🤪

I predict that Will Richardson will not score in this game. 

IMG_8406.png

• Wow 1
  • Haha 4

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that the Ducks will shoot better from the 3 than the 12% they hit last night. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any Will Richardson contribution will be from the cheap seats...

Edited by woundedknees

On 3/17/2024 at 5:44 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Here is some excellent analysis on the game by ESPN. 🤪

I predict that Will Richardson will not score in this game. 

IMG_8406.png

Actually my Duck-Buddies...this again PROVES how remote we are to them.  The time zone difference is very real, as they do not watch us or even know the basics about us.  Football, Basketball, or any sport...we are in a foreign land to them.  

This is why I believe our fan base and audience will increase by at least 50% due to our move to the B1G.

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon March Madness schedule: When do the Ducks play next?

The next Oregon game will be played against the South Carolina Gamecocks on March 21.

Ducks' March Madness schedule: How to watch Oregon vs. South Carolina

Date: March 21

TV: CBS

Streaming: Fubo TV

AUTZENZOO.COM

The Ducks are going dancing. So, when does Oregon’s campaign for another national championship start?

Oregon excited for the dance but not satisfied to just make the field of 68

Oregon says they are ready to embrace the challenge of keeping their season alive in the NCAA Tournament.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon says they are ready to embrace the challenge of keeping their season alive in the NCAA Tournament.

How to buy NCAA men's tournament tickets for 2024 Pittsburgh regional

The best time of the year is finally here. With the release of the 2024 NCAA Tournament bracket, March Madness has officially begun.

This year, March Madness comes to Pittsburgh as the PPG Paints Arena is set to host a weekend of matchups that will eventually send two teams to the Sweet 16.

No. 3 Creighton kicks off the action on Thursday when they take on No. 14 Akron at 1:40 p.m. EDT.

That game will be immediately followed by No. 6 South Carolina battling No. 11 Oregon.

SHOPCreighton vs. Akron & South Carolina vs. Oregon tickets

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Want to watch March Madness live in Pittsburgh this weekend? Tickets are still available for as little as $54.

March Madness Bracket Breakdown

At the 56:06 mark they discuss Oregon vs South Carolina in the Midwest Region

Wow.  What a run this Oregon team had to qualify for "The Dance".  It was truly a fun and entertaining three game run.  Something I hoped for but did not truly expect to happen.

A season of often frustrating basketball and the inconsistencies we all observed throughout the season did not temper this teams' Will and Desire to win.  May have not always been pretty and some of the losses were downright inexcusable (Cali an the road, Colo at home).  But a team that has the belief and the tenacity to continue to fight through their own self-inflicted wounds to get to where they are now is nothing to take lightly.

What I saw on Saturday night bodes well for a fairly deep run in the tourney.  The "intangibles" regarding the emotion and comaradity that was showing after the win; especially watching the entire team approaching the announcers table, celebrating as a team, before trainers and coaches peeled the larger group off to allow Dante, Cousnard, and Shelstad the mic for the post game, was significant on a "team" perspective.

I do believe that this team now "believes" in both themselves and their ability to compete with anybody.  The first round game against a defensive minded, up and coming, gamecock team should help further their belief in themselves.  This could very well be a Cousnard career game, game, being that it is his old team.  Win that one and most likely a matchup with Dana's previous charge against Creighton, whom by the way was one of the few teams to actually beat, handily, a tourney favorite UConn during the regular season.

Not going to be easy (but tourney games shouldn't be "easy").  I am fully expecting some icecold periods of play, as has happened most games all season.  But also will see cohesive play, tough defense, rebounding by several different players, and a few plays of absolute brilliance from Dante, Shelstad, Cousnard, etc.  As long as the cold periods are minimal and they play, consistently, to their abilities, this could very well be a second weekend "dark horse" team to contend with.

Not finished filling out my bracket yet, but I do have Quackers Basketball "penciled" into the Elite Eight.  With both Tennessee and Texas sitting on our side of the bracket, plus a probable Purdue (do not have them filled in that far, yet) in the Elite Eight; I'm fighting amongst myself regarding logic and facts vs. "fandom" logic and facts on if I think it is realistic to move them beyond that.

If anything has taught the March Madness fanbase.  It's that "madness" will always ensue...especially in the first 2-3 rounds of the tourney.  Will an eleven seed seemingly coming out a nowhere be one of the major contributors to the "madness" this year?

I think so.  🦆🏀🔥👍.

GO DUCKS "TOURNEY" BASKETBALL

South Carolina is a tough draw. That team surprised a lot of folks this year in SEC play. It took them a few upsets early/mid season to even crack the top 20. But after a couple conference upsets they could no longer be ignored.

Also, their style of play may "wear down" the short-handed Ducks roster over 40 minutes. I'm not confident about OBD's chances here.

Hate to be Donny Downer but I've been following the Gamecocks this year after those upsets and wondering why they were still not ranked...until they were. And though they did lose a few games down the stretch and got blown out by Auburn in the SEC tournament, they are a good, solid team.

I hope I'm wrong, of course.... 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1

On 3/17/2024 at 7:26 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Stealing if they get it all, which I don’t know if that’s set in stone. That homer judge did warn them they could find themselves back in court.

Even if they do keep it all, it’s unearned breadcrumbs spread over time that will not make them solvent. Assuming all 4 pac team don’t make the elite 8 or something crazy. A minor accounting victory doesn’t make them any less pathetic.

<1%

The Pac-10 caved. The underachieving bloodsuckers, no football playoff $, no NY6 football game $, 1 CBB appearance by OSU, and WSU this season, get all of the NCAA tourney dough split down the middle. The Pac-10 should have filed in state court outside of Washington, won a judgment, and kicked the matter into federal court. Instead, it was bend over, and thank you, Sir, may I have another. Exacerbated by giving up a P4 home game to play a G5 team in Corvallis; a game that may or may not be broadcast. Stupid and GUTLESS.

On to happier things.

South Carolina men's CBB team was the surprise of the SEC in 2023/24. Picked to be a conference bottom dweller, USC(e) went 26-7 overall, and 13-5 in the SEC.

South Carolina finished with a NET ranking of 51. 6-5 vs. Quad 1, 5-0 vs. Q2, 6-2 vs. Q3, and 8-0 vs, Q4.

OREGON finished with a NET ranking of 59. 4-6 Q1, 5-4 Q2, 8-1 Q3, 6-0 Q4.

The SEC was a far deeper and better conference than the Pac-12. These Gamecocks are game-tested and will likely have better attendance than Oregon. Gamecocks fans fill up the home stadium for men's and women's CBB games and also sell out all home football games, seating capacity of 77,559.

538 miles from Columbia, SC to Pittsburgh; 2 six packs and a nonstop drive for college students.

It's 2,581 miles from Eugene to Pittsburgh. Beyond the Student-Beer-Quotient. You have to buy and drink more beer than will allow you to complete the drive. 

GO DUCKS - Pluck the Gamecocks!

• Oh no! 1

Saturdays Down South's Connor O'Gara has Oregon defeating USC(e) in the 1st-round.

Dana, make it so.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Which SEC team will be the last one standing this March?

• Thumbs Up 1

SB Nation is not a Tournament Happy Camper.

WWW.SBNATION.COM

No one can make sense of a bizarre 2024 men’s NCAA tournament bracket.

I think this is a matchup right up our alley. High scoring teams that shoot the 3 well is what I fear the most. Great bracket for us.

USC went 1-1 against common opponent Georgia btw.

Having 8 players is fine this time of year, except when playing 3 games in 3 days.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

How Oregon tweaked its defense to help the Ducks punch their NCAA Tournament ticket

The Oregon Ducks have changed their defense and its paying off.

247SPORTS.COM

On 3/18/2024 at 1:34 PM, NJDuck said:

How Oregon tweaked its defense to help the Ducks punch their NCAA Tournament ticket

247SPORTS.COM

The defense absolutely won the game against Colorado, forcing 13 TO's and picking up 9 Steals. They just smothered the Buffs.

And to have won by 7 while only shooting 12% from the 3, further underscores the exceptional defensive output. 

On 3/18/2024 at 10:50 AM, Jon Joseph said:

It's 2,581 miles from Eugene to Pittsburgh.

Plus three times zones.

If I was a betting man, I'd have to go with SC. 

However, I had Oregon getting bounced in the first round of the PAC 12 championship too.

Regardless, GO DUCKS!

• Applause 1

The No. 11 seed Oregon in the Midwest Regions faces the No. 6 seed Gamecocks

EUGENE, Ore. — Oregon men's basketball received the No. 11 seed in the Midwest Region of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday and will play the No. 6 seeded South Carolina Gamecocks on Thursday in Pittsburgh, Penn.

The reigning Pac-12 Tournament champions will travel to Pittsburgh on Tuesday morning, in preparation for the 4 p.m. ET gametime on Thursday in PPG Paints Arena. Oregon is back in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2019 after winning three games in three days to take home the last Pac-12 Tournament title.

"It never gets old," Oregon head coach Dana Altman said. "It does leave an empty feeling when you're not involved. The guys were excited. They were real excited last night."

This is the first meeting between the programs. South Carolina finished 26-7 on the season and 13-5 in league play, good enough for second in the SEC. Oregon senior guard Jermaine Couisnard played the first four seasons of his career at South Carolina, appearing in 73 games (46 starts) for the Gamecocks.

"It's a good opportunity for us," Couisnard said. "I know a couple of those guys over there, a couple of the strength coaches, trainers. It's going to be a fun game."

The opening round game will be broadcast on TNT and the winner will play the winner of the Creighton versus Akron game on Saturday.

Gameday: No. 11 Oregon will square off in the Round of 64 against No. 16 South Carolina on Mar 21, 2024

Game broadcast on TNT

Mar 21, 2024

1:00 PM PT, 4:00 PM ET

Pittsburgh, PA

You can listen on:

THEVARSITYNETWORK.COM