Charles Fischer

USC Gamecock Fans Pretty Confident...

From one of their boards...

"I will tell you this, I have watched a decent amount of Pac 12 basketball the last few weeks. The conference does not compare to the SEC. It's really not close. This Oregon team went 12-8 in conference. That would equate to below .500 in the SEC IMO."

"Do I think this is a bad matchup for us? No, I don't. I think we are the better team and will prevail on Thursday. 78-68 Gamecocks."

"I watched some of their gam against Colorado on YouTube and your impressions match what my impressions were based on a short watch. The Dante kid is good on offense and defense but the announcer said he has had problems with turnovers. Cousinard is decent but no superstar. Their freshman PG is decent but small and will have a tough time with our defense. If BJ can bring Dante out of the paint to guard him CMB could have a field day. I expect to win."

"As a side note Oregon court is horrendous for watching a basketball game. The graphics are very annoying."

"Their center is not Broome. Let's put it that way. No outside game, back to the basket type of center. Can rebound. We are overhyping their center. He's not Edey."

"Agree, more like a Josh Gray with a good jump hook. Looks a little clumsy with the ball but just doesn't seem to miss very many shots. A decent rim protector but nothing like some of the guys in the SEC."

"Apart from the time zone, I try to avoid watching Oregon basketball. Looking at their court for a sustained period gives me vertigo."

600x200

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Gamecock fans are cocky, who knew? 'We are the SEC and you are not!'

But about that stadium floor ...

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:22 AM, Charles Fischer said:

“As a side note Oregon court is horrendous for watching a basketball game. The graphics are very annoying."

“Apart from the time zone, I try to avoid watching Oregon basketball. Looking at their court for a sustained period gives me vertigo."

I hate to agree with opposing fans, but…

Amen, Brothas!

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone agrees about the court!  GET RID OF THAT ABOMINATION!  I don't care if it was designed by Tinker Hatfield, it's ugly and not even innovative!

Getting back to the game, some of their observations aren't that untrue.   Dante can turn the ball over under pressure, Couisnard is a decent player but no means a star, Shelsted is a small guard who can be bullied some if he can't get space, and our conference has been a bit of joke for the last few years, while the SEC has become much better.  

I think it's a toss up game, but if I was USC I would be confident as well, they've had a great season for their program, they're on the rise, they're playing a team that has been inconsistent in the extreme, and hasn't shot well at all.  

Edited by spartan2785
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The 9 biggest storylines for Oregon Ducks going into March Madness

In what looked to be a third-straight season destined for a berth in the NIT, Dana Altman and the Oregon Ducks have utilized a magical run through the Pac-12 Tournament and landed their first bid in the NCAA Tournament since 2021. They now have a chance to continue that run, starting with their first-round game against the South Carolina Gamecocks on Thursday afternoon in the 6 vs. 11 matchup in the Midwest Regional. 

There are several things to watch over the coming days and a lot to learn about the Gamecocks, which was one of the top teams in the SEC this past year. More importantly for Duck fans, though, there are many things to keep an eye on on the Oregon side of the scorer’s table, from player health to potential matchups down the line. 

Here are our most intriguing storylines as the Ducks get set for their NCAA Tournament run.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at some of the biggest storylines and major factors for the Oregon Ducks heading into the NCAA Tournament.

11-seed Ducks are being highlighted as potential bracket buster in March Madness

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The 11-seeded Oregon Ducks are being highlighted as a potential bracket buster in the NCAA Tournament this year.

Since 2018 (2020 was cancelled)

Pac-12

16 teams invited

8 to the Sweet 16 (50%)

3 to the Elite 8 (18.75%)

1 to the Final 4 (6.25%)

SEC

32 teams invited

12 to the Sweet 16 (37.5%)

4 to the Elite 8 (12.5%)

1 to the Final 4 (3.125%)

With more invites, the SEC has certainly been better at losing than the Pac. 

• Haha 2

Who’s really betting against Altman in a first round tourney game??  

Smart money is on Oregon. 

Usually when a team is hyped as a bracket buster they get beat in the first round. It’s the sleepers you have to worry about.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:12 PM, The Grateful Duck said:

Pac-12

16 teams invited

8 to the Sweet 16 (50%)

1 to the Final 4 (6.25%)

SEC

32 teams invited

4 to the Elite 8 (12.5%)

Both of these Final Four teams went down in heartbreaking fashion. Auburn got hosed by the refs against UVA and UCLA lost on a half-court buzzer beater.

IMG_0099.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention the previous PAC appearance, Oregon, losing in the semi, a year or so earlier, in egregious fashion

No one should be overly confident this year. Three #1 seeds had a loss in March.

There are like 50 teams with 8-12 losses, nobody knows anything.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 3/20/2024 at 7:34 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

No one should be overly confident this year. Three #1 seeds had a loss in March.

There are like 50 teams with 8-12 losses, nobody knows anything.

Jabba...I believe it was YOU who coined the name "Pig-2" and want to give proper attribution credit.  So perfect...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

SEC continues its stellar March Madness trend: losing. 0 - 2.

Oh, and the PAC? 3 - 0!

• Applause 1

On 3/20/2024 at 8:26 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

I hate to agree with opposing fans, but…

Amen, Brothas!

Yep... that thing, while creative, has gotta go.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:12 PM, The Grateful Duck said:

Pac-12

16 teams invited

8 to the Sweet 16 (50%)

1 to the Final 4 (6.25%)

SEC

32 teams invited

4 to the Elite 8 (12.5%)

Facts and data can just be so darn inconvenient sometimes. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Who's buying the drinks? A busted Bulldog from Starkevagas or a plucked Gamecock?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/20/2024 at 8:37 AM, spartan2785 said:

Everyone agrees about the court!  GET RID OF THAT ABOMINATION!  I don't care if it was designed by Tinker Hatfield, it's ugly and not even innovative!

Getting back to the game, some of their observations aren't that untrue.   Dante can turn the ball over under pressure, Couisnard is a decent player but no means a star, Shelsted is a small guard who can be bullied some if he can't get space, and our conference has been a bit of joke for the last few years, while the SEC has become much better.  

I think it's a toss up game, but if I was USC I would be confident as well, they've had a great season for their program, they're on the rise, they're playing a team that has been inconsistent in the extreme, and hasn't shot well at all.  

The floor is definitely innovative. But the bummer is that, while creative, it looks like crapola on TV. In person, it's not quite as bad. 

But I feel like we're kind of the basketball equivalent of Boise State's vomit blue Smurf-Turf. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:28 PM, woundedknees said:

Not to mention the previous PAC appearance, Oregon, losing in the semi, a year or so earlier, in egregious fashion

They just decided not to block out on the final two free throw attempts. The Heels big men manhandled them in the paint. That was a huge disappointment.

• Like 1

From the South Carolina forum...

“Cousinard is decent but no superstar.”

Famous last words…

• Haha 3

On 3/21/2024 at 3:26 PM, The Grateful Duck said:

SEC continues its stellar March Madness trend: losing. 0 - 2.

Oh, and the PAC? 3 - 0!

Oh wait, wait, isn't it now SEC 0-3. 3rd seed Kentucky sent home by 14 seed Oakland. Joining Miss St and So. Carolina. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2024 at 8:17 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Cousinard is decent but no superstar.

Famous last words…

I did not write that.  I copied the quote from the South Carolina 247 Sports Message Board.  It was from one of them.  (We need to give proper attribution credit in our business, Dr. Hilarius)

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Whether or not Cousinard is a superstar or not,  he sure gave a superstar performance.

And he is stilling playing in the 2nd round of the tournament.

Long ways to go and Creighton will not be looking past the Ducks.

Go Ducks.......

I wonder what the the fans on that SC board are saying right about now 😀

On 3/21/2024 at 3:38 PM, Desert Duck said:

The floor is definitely innovative. But the bummer is that, while creative, it looks like crapola on TV. In person, it's not quite as bad. 

But I feel like we're kind of the basketball equivalent of Boise State's vomit blue Smurf-Turf. 

You could say it was innovative at the time I guess, but now a lot of courts are out there that are similar in their design, you are also right it isn't as bad in person, it's still ugly when compared to other courts that are either minimalist or a bit jazzy.

• Thumbs Up 1

SC fans experiencing Mad Marchness, about now...