Charles Fischer

Locklyn is NOT Happy With Dan Lanning...

Now keep in mind...that Coach Lanning always says we will improve the position when a coach leaves.  I think there is a TON behind the scenes that we do not know about, and it is Lanning's call to make.

Too bad Mullens gave away 30 million...so now we cannot match tOSU's offer, or buyout Kelly Graves?  (You might want to click on the Twitter/X post to see all that was written by Coach Lock)

Mr. FishDuck

Locklyn was quoting Martin Luther King Jr. to a white coach?  Huh, do you really want to go there Lock?  (See full quote by clicking on the Twitter/X post above)  Maybe it was not meant that way...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

For those of us that refuse to join the Social Media Generation (other than OBD, natch), will someone kindly post the comment or summarize it? Thx.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Applause 1

Overreaction to a 'generic' quote from Dan. Kind of like what Ryan Day said when O'Brien left before Chip came on board as the new OC. 

There are exits and then there are John Wilkes Booth exits. Sic Semper Oregon!

On 4/5/2024 at 3:48 PM, Mudslide said:

For those of us that refuse to join the Social Media Generation, will someone kindly post the comment or summarize it? Thx.

Hit the Reply button. I'm giving TECH advice. Who knew?

I am also a denier of Twitter, X, TikTok, In-Your-Face-Book, et al.

I take George Orwell's warning about Nu-Speak to heart. And I absolutely believe that what I may be doing from time to time is BORING and no one else's business. 

R U dare? 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/5/2024 at 12:48 PM, Mudslide said:

For those of us that refuse to join the Social Media Generation (other than OBD, natch), will someone kindly post the comment or summarize it? Thx.

Locklyn.jpg

I have a Twitter account and never post...but it allows me to open and read all these interesting tweets we see every day.  Do it...

Mr. FishDuck

Definitely a strange response when Locklyn should know as well as anyone that DL has always preached a culture of improvement in every aspect.  Superficially it looks like Lock's taking it as an insult since he's the best RB coach and can't possibly be improved on 🤷‍♂️

Ultimately there are going to be details that will never see the light of day.  But he did accept and sign the contract extension which gave him a raise and so it seems the intent was there to stay at Oregon originally.

• Thumbs Up 3

Softball coach Mike White was happy until he wasn't.  The Texas money offer brought out the unhappiness.  Just say'in....

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Sometimes you aren't sure there is cancer until you get a closer look. I think we are getting a closer look. 

I was often worried about our program going from long shot to a favorite just outside elite. Some people and programs don't do well in this transition. 

I would say Oregon has done a better job of hitting the next level than Coach Lock. Glad we we able to help him get to this point, hope he can move to the next level more gracefully going forward.

This might be one of the problems Day has in his coaching group. I know he has at least once guy who got too big and well thought of for his abilities. He may have hired one more.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/5/2024 at 1:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Locklyn.jpg

I have a Twitter account and never post...but it allows me to open and read all these interesting tweets we see every day.  Do it...

Thanks, Charles.  His comment does seem a little passive aggressive.

On 4/5/2024 at 12:55 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Hit the Reply button. I'm giving TECH advice. Who knew?

I am also a denier of Twitter, X, TikTok, In-Your-Face-Book, et al.

I take George Orwell's warning about Nu-Speak to heart. And I absolutely believe that what I may be doing from time to time is BORING and no one else's business. 

R U dare? 

You may be doublethinking it, Jon.

Oh wait.  Maybe that's just me.  😉 

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2024 at 12:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Overreaction to a 'generic' quote from Dan. Kind of like what Ryan Day said when O'Brien left before Chip came on board as the new OC. 

There are exits and then there are John Wilkes Booth exits. Sic Semper Oregon!

There have been some whispers that Locklyn entertained conversations from both USC and Tennessee.  The fact that he listened may have rubbed Dan the wrong way.  As Hayward and Kirkland said it plausible there is some there there.  We will likely never know All the details and that's okay.

Dan has always said he is very supportive of his staff taking the next steps in their career.  He always preaches 1% better and I'm sure he applies that to when he has to replace a staff member.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/5/2024 at 6:19 PM, Augduck said:

Dan has always said he is very supportive of his staff taking the next steps in their career.  He always preaches 1% better and I'm sure he applies that to when he has to replace a staff member.

As someone else mentioned, this is a lateral move for Coach Lock. Yes, he’ll make more money but the Ryan Day is on the hot seat.  

I thank coach for what he did at Oregon but finding a good RB coach should not prove too difficult. I wouldn’t have broken the bank to retain him.

• Thumbs Up 2

Was Dan supposed to cry, curl up in a ball and talk about what a big loss this was? Locklyn did what was best for him. More money with the same amount of resources talent wise. Dan has to do what's best for his program.

If you aren't looking to get better, you'll find somebody else around you will.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Who pulled "don't call me Carlos", out of W. Kentucky and put him on the big stage?

I'm surprised coach "lock" would throw shade at DL.

I've heard coach Lanning say those exact words after other coaching changes, "a change is a chance to improve".

And it looks like he did.

It's also interesting the new coach got an additional assistant coach title as well. Could be to justify pay increase or could be an effort to keep coach Samples in the fold for at least a few years.

Also interesting, we lost a couple RB's to the portal soon after CL was hired, thus his softbatch cookie comment.

I see tOSU has just lost a RB.

Seems to be a pattern.

Can't wait to see them in Autzen.

Sco Ducks!!

• Applause 1

Success can expose hidden insecurity, and if one is not ready to handle it, those bright lights can blind one with self doubt.

When someone is responding publicly to your action, it’s always best to step back, take a deep breath, and evaluate the reply in terms of who the intended audience really is. Lanning’s reply to Locklyn’s action seems pretty clear to be moving past the situation, and addressing any interested parties as to how he deals with adversity: let it go, and keep the ship sailing on a positive course.

There may well be hidden issues we’re not privy to, and one of those could be the simple mistake of taking something personal that never was intended that way.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The guy left for $300K+. A huge pay bump while working in a city that has a cost of living 25% lower than that of Eugene.

He was leaving even if Danno called him Vince, Knute, or Saint Nick.  

"You can call me Ray JJ. Or, you can call me RJJ Jr., but you doesn't hasta call me Johnson."

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Coach Lock, Where's the beef? Really? Don't let that "money" cancer eat you alive personally or professionally. Most of us thought you were better than that, and

now we know you are not. May I suggest you get that petty resentment out of your professional soul before you display any more to others in the East. 

VR,

KCDuck1

• Thumbs Up 1

I might have a different take. The walk on coach might have had a slighted view of a post from DL that is coach speak. DL was probably just coaching up the fans. Don't worry, we got this, '1% better'. I'm having a hard time believing Coach Lanning would take an administrative move, inside his coaching house, public over X. 

Also, Coach Locklyn leaving for a lateral move isnt necessarily sour grapes. He may never want to be a head coach. Getting every dollar while your brand is hot makes the most sense. In other words, its never exactly what we all think it might be. The truth is usually difficult to find, if ever.

Coach Lock making the news again and not in a good way. Sounds like something in his brain just snapped.

https://footballscoop.com/news/veteran-rbs-coach-responds-to-carlos-locklyns-comments-who-exactly-is-he-talking-about-curtis-luper-missouri

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1

Some coaches live for drama, some don’t.

Kirklandduck, Thank you for posting the FootballScoop.com article discussing Coach Luper (U of Missouri RBs coach) and his remarks and thoughts WRT Coach Lock's rather frivolous comments that college football RBs coaches have the worst job among all the football coaches, or words to that effect. Coach Luper's comments could be summarized as, How would Locklyn know? He has only coached RBs for three years; but, maybe he has it wired. BTW, Coach Luper was voted RBs Coach of the Year for 2023 by previous winners.

Coach Luper added the following, "

"If you look at the National Football League in terms of the devaluing of that position [RBs], it became abundantly clear it was devalued and is devalued. It has become a quarterback league. How many will make it to their second contract? Not many. It was a running back league, it's not anymore. The game has changed. But because the game has changed, the running back is asked to do more," Luper said. "There's a lot more asked of the position, and so there's a lot more asked of the running back coaches. There's a lot more to it than when they turned around and pitched him the football.

"Offenses are more complex, more multiple. Defenses are, too," Luper continued. "Back in the day it was toss left, toss right. Iso. Now there's checks at the line of scrimmage -- pass to run, run to pass, five man protection to six, six man protection to five. My running back was on the field every down last year, regardless of the formation. More is asked of the position. They need to know blitzes, blitz keys, coverages; defenses are playing man on one side, zone on the other. My guys stay on the field for three downs, and most do. We still have to get first downs, touchdowns, and protect the football. You have to have smart players and coach them up."

This fall, Missouri's Cody Schrader, a Division II transfer, led the SEC in rushing while also becoming the first player in conference history to amass 200 rushing yards and 100 receiving yards in the same game. 

"Most of the men I mentioned are not playing with 5-star running backs. It's really obvious to see how many yards a running back has," Luper said. "It's really obvious to see that Ollie Gordon at Oklahoma State led the nation in yards. You have to look closer to see how well coached they were. They don't fumble, they don't give up sacks. They're aware." 

This fall will be Luper's 30th in coaching. He's coached running backs continuously since 2002, with stops at New Mexico, Oklahoma State, Auburn, TCU, and now Missouri. Prior winners selected him as the FootballScoop Running Backs Coach of the Year in 2023

"Maybe (Locklyn) has it all figured out in three years," Luper quipped." -- Coach Luper

I suggest to OBD that Coach Lock has a lot to learn, still. How about his successor? Perhaps the Ducks DID hire an upgrade. We'll know soon.

Thanks and VR,

KCDuck1

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2