Charles Fischer

Oregon Has a New SPEED Coach for Football...

I was watching the video of Traeshon Holden, (thank you NJDuck!) and he mentioned how his speed and explosiveness has improved with "the new speed coach." Huh? Now there is stuff announced all the time that I only half read, or notice.  Apparently this hire occurred in late December, and if it is helping our receivers and DBs get even faster?  Fantastic!  

GODUCKS.COM

The Oregon athletic department announced the hiring of Kyle Bolton as the new director of speed and performance for the Oregon football program on Dec. 27, 2...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Well, Charles, in a few years you will need to get used to missing things.  Even when you don’t miss them, after a couple of days it’s the same as if you had missed it!

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

On 4/7/2024 at 6:59 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Even when you don’t miss them, after a couple of days it’s the same as if you had missed it!

OK....Mike...like below--that was funny!

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

Just curious--how does one coach speed?

On 4/7/2024 at 7:56 PM, Annie said:

You are welcome to Google-search it and let us know, as obviously there must be skills that they can learn.

Mr. FishDuck

Speed training has been more common in soccer.   A lot of it has to do with body posture.   Does the training have impact?   Think about two evenly matched players - one a wide receiver and one a DB - what if the WR's speed training allows him to have a shoulder in front of the DB as an incoming pass arrives?  Or, zig zag speed training to quickly change direction?  A lot of it is improving on natural speed with agility speed.  Though, posture such as leaning forward rather than running upright can improve "speed."  As can higher knee action.  Arm action can improve speed.  How much of the surface of the foot touches can change speed.  Aerobic training.  Muscle relaxation.  Repeating drills enough that it becomes more natural.

I presume body posture can also impact the speed with which a linebacker pursues?   Can a ball carrier hit a hole faster based on width of steps?   And, so on.  A lot of this stuff is in very short time increments, but like the micro-speed to get shoulder position vs a DB, it can be impactful.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/7/2024 at 9:02 PM, HDuck said:

Speed training has been more common in soccer.   A lot of it has to do with body posture.   Does the training have impact?   Think about two evenly matched players - one a wide receiver and one a DB - what if the WR's speed training allows him to have a shoulder in front of the DB as an incoming pass arrives?  Or, zig zag speed training to quickly change direction?  A lot of it is improving on natural speed with agility speed.  Though, posture such as leaning forward rather than running upright can improve "speed."  As can higher knee action.  Arm action can improve speed.  How much of the surface of the foot touches can change speed.  Aerobic training.  Muscle relaxation.  Repeating drills enough that it becomes more natural.

I presume body posture can also impact the speed with which a linebacker pursues?   Can a ball carrier hit a hole faster based on width of steps?   And, so on.  A lot of this stuff is in very short time increments, but like the micro-speed to get shoulder position vs a DB, it can be impactful.

Speed training wouldn't help the vast majority of humans have any noticable difference in speed. It's really about doing every little thing right to get some incremental gains that only help against athletes who have similar raw ability. 

"It's really about doing every little thing right to get some incremental gains that only help against athletes who have similar raw ability. "

That's it in a nutshell.  Incremental gain for incremental advantage.  From understanding, training and repetition.

•  
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 8:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You are welcome to Google-search it and let us know, as obviously there must be skills that they can learn.

Couldn't find much, but there's this, thought it seems aimed at the athlete and not a coach:

Here are 5 useful methods to improve running speed, whatever your level:
  1. Interval training. Interval training is a popular method used by runners to improve speed. ...
  2. Add sprints into your long runs. ...
  3. Choose lightweight running shoes and gear. ...
  4. Skipping rope workouts. ...
  5. Build your strength.

One reason I asked, was because at one time, long ago, I read that speed couldn't really be coached. Don't remember who said that, though.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 10:56 PM, Annie said:

Make sure the guys run downhill. Kidding! Heck of a question? An OBD kinesiologist will perhaps give us an answer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2024 at 11:44 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Make sure the guys run downhill. Kidding! Heck of a question? An OBD kinesiologist will perhaps give us an answer. 

Or friend Annie will give us the answer. 😍👍

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:59 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Well, Charles, in a few years you will need to get used to missing things.  Even when you don’t miss them, after a couple of days it’s the same as if you had missed it!

Mike, I resemble your remark. At least I think I do. What was the second thing? 

• Haha 3

The science of speed comes down to a coach with a stop watch and an athlete trying to run fast. The coach notices a faster time and then he yells at the athlete to do whatever he did to run faster again .

The other method, is the one I have been pounding the table for, recruit speed! Thankfully Lanning seems to have listened, :-)!

Unknown.jpeg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I hear Altman has hired a height coach.

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/8/2024 at 8:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

The other method, is the one I have been pounding the table for, recruit speed! Thankfully Lanning seems to have listened, :-)!

That's what I remember coaches saying way back when. They'd say they could coach this, that, and the other, but not speed, so they recruited for speed.

Oh geez.  

Of course you cannot change your base speed, as either you are fast or not...but you can improve your first step quickness and acceleration with better running technique and emphasis.  What do you think WRs and DBs are doing prior to the NFL Combines?  You can lower your 40 yard dash time, from typical to above average, for example. 

How do I know?  Because as a offensive lineman in the summer of 1973....I did specific sprint and weight workouts to improve my speed in order to help make downfield blocks in the upcoming season.  It worked, even back then.  Was it dramatic?  No, as I went from slow, to not-as-slow...and that was enough to get me in position on a number runs that created explosion plays and helped us win.

And that was in 1973?  So yeah...I imagine they have ways to coach them up a little faster 50 years later.

THERAPYPARTNERSGROUP.COM

The two fastest teams in the NFL last season were the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs. They also happened to be the top two teams in the NFL, meeting each other in the...

RAYMERSTRENGTH.COM

Looking for ways to help your athletes to improve their speed? Learn some beginner rules of thumb and 10 drills that take little-to-no equipment.

My apologies for my 'tude, but at times...it feels like people want someone else to do all the work for them, and frankly--my plate is full.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think it is a common misconception by those that don't care for track and field that it is simply a genetics competition, and there isn't much you can do to make yourself better.

I was was already full grown my senior year of high school having done track for 4 years I never made the state meet in my jumping event at the 1-2A levels.

But I walked on in college and ended up finishing 2nd in the Northwest region in NAIA nearly qualifying for the national meet my senior year. I wasn't a late bloomer but I trained at an Olympic level in college, to maximize the potential of my genes.

That is why track is still a sport, and people don't just do one meet and retire saying I guess that's how good I'll ever be.

Athletic ability is not a fixed value, strength endurance and speed can all be improved through hard and appropriate training just like any skill can be.

So the speed coach working with strength and conditioning can absolutely impact a teams athletic ability on the field.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/7/2024 at 7:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

OK....Mike...like below--that was funny!

giphy.gif

Now that's defensive back training in the "bump and run"!

Edited by woundedknees
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Don’t know if it’s still a thing, but at one time, speed training in track focused on what was termed the ‘fast twitch’ muscle group. Bowerman sometimes used a pick-up truck on the Hayward cinder track and, sitting on the back with a high jump bar in his hands, slowly take his runners around while moving the bar up and down with the runners expected to keep their knees at whatever level it was at. No idea if it worked.

Agree speed can be coached, but straight away speed is just one element of many needed to be an effective receiver. There is some great videos about what it takes, and often straight away speed isn't the most important.

Here is a video where our new coach breaks it down, for those interested. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1