Joe F

Some Advice Please... Wife Wants to Offer a B&B for the Ohio State Game

We live in the Portland metro.

I wondered if:

1. it's a good idea? 
  2. Possible? 
  3. Legal?  

We have plenty of room for a couple to give them a private double bedroom, private bath and a good breakfast before starting them off to Eugene on game day.  We could also arrange for another night and breakfast before they jet back to Columbus if they prefer.

Have any of you ever done anything like this?  I would love some informed opinions and experiences from those who have been there.  It sounds like it could be fun.

What do you all think?

Seems like it is more hassle than return....beginning with this post?  IMHO anyway...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

You do not want a Suckeye on your premises.  They are without question the most hateful fan base I’ve ever been around.  

• Haha 1

Unless you’re charging an extremely high amount, not worth it. 

On 4/18/2024 at 8:51 PM, Drake said:

Unless you’re charging an extremely high amount, not worth it. 

What would an extremely high amount be?  That would be one of our questions/  What would be a fair rate?  We aren't interested charging more then a fair rate, but we have no idea what that might be.

We just thought it might be an interesting interaction with some Ohio State fans to stay at our place.  We aren't looking to gouge them, but charge a fair rate and have the interaction with them.

Do a web search for B&B pricing for Portland-it’s all there with a few clicks.

Mr. FishDuck

I would connect with your insurance agent before opening up your home. You will want higher liability coverage than most home policies provide. 

Maybe post your question on Nextdoor.com 

You'll probably get a lot of responses, information, advice there.

Good luck!

• Applause 1

Take their money. It´s probably green. Most B&Bs are fairly expensive... out of my price range anyway. If they are spending thousands of dollars just to watch one game, might as well get your share.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Difference perspective...Are you in it for the money or experience?  I am far from rich (tier 2 PERs) and I would think about doing it for the experience and

maybe not even charge them.  You would have to do some research, maybe contact OSU about the offer and they might set you up with some good

people.  It's only a couple days and you might meet some great people who would reciprocate.  You also might want to create a  liability contract  with them

to protect yourself.  I know many people will think this is stupid, the lawyers in the group will tell you about all the potential issues.  Just my 2 cents...

I built a 550 sq. ft. cottage for AirBnB purposes in 2011 out of an old tool/wood shed that connected to my double garage. But I live in Eugene. I suppose that some Ohio State fans might take a whole week off and stay for a few days in Portland or the coast, but those are not the type of people that are going to use just a bedroom.

At any rate, it's super easy to sign up for AirBnB or VRBO. I don't even think you are allowed to actually give people the breakfast part of a bed and breakfast. In almost every case the goal of guests is to never see the host! It's 2024, nobody wants that. They want a door with a keycode, and they want to come and go when they want.

Anyway, if you're going to take the time to do a quick rental, then I'd suggest just renting out your whole house for 5 days or a week and then stay with friends or in-laws while the people are there. You could charge about $600-800 (or more depending on where you live and what your house is like) a night for that. Otherwise it's not worth it. Just getting money for one bedroom for a one-off thing isn't worth it. You'll have to buy them their own shampoos and soaps, and then you'll have to offer them new sheets, most likely. Etc, etc.

Edited by 2002duck
  • Great post! 2