Charles Fischer

Surprised at the Oregon QB Room?

I was very impressed with Austin Novosad, and not because the other QBs were not great--they were, and this is the deepest QB room in decades.  But Novosad showed great poise, and could throw the bullet slant accurately or the back-shoulder easier-to-catch throw to help the WR.

Pretty impressed with all of them, but surprised by the development of Novosad.  He could be a very good one in the future...

Spring Game 1.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

It felt like any of the four QBs could win a BIG game. The QB room looks as solid as it's been since... maybe ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know next to nothing about Novosad.  He looked good throwing the ball and moving in the pocket.  My only concern when I looked at him vs. Gabriel vs. Moore is that he has a very slight frame.

I don't want to sell the kid short because he may be tough as nails but we are going into a conference with some big dudes.  His durability would be a concern for me until he bulks up.

Again, I don't know much about him and my impression is only what my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Novosad has really stepped up his game and what an arm, haven't seen that velocity around in a few years.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Austin made a very loud statement that the development/talent gap between him and Dante is not as big as some have thought. He might pull even with Moore by the beginning of next season and provide a very entertaining competition for QB1.

It's just a spring game as we all know (Jeff Lockie went 12 for 12 once).

So many things had to be discounted. Pocket presence by all QBs was bad, and efficiency was bad, but lots of potential explanations for that.

All can throw a good ball at least. It seems clear that per the order of taking the field it DJ Moore is past Novasad already on the depth chart, despite this difference of experience in this offense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would definitely give the nod to Moore over Novasad for backup QB, simply because he is more mobile. Both have excellent arms.

The job is Gabriel’s. He’s got big game experience, can make all the throws, and the guy can really run. He’s not a big guy, only 5-11 or so, but his size clearly hasn’t hampered him much thus far.

Austin is in Eugene because of the OC, I expect him to be given a great chance to compete and get some of that NIL money.

A championship team needs to have a deep qb room. It would seem this is especially true with the new playoff format. 

In this new day and age of multi game playoff college luck will still play a role. Depth may be the secret ingredient champions are most noted for going forward.

Nice to see Oregon again having both depth and growing or qb organically, with Novosad competing well!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/28/2024 at 2:55 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I know next to nothing about Novosad.  He looked good throwing the ball and moving in the pocket.  My only concern when I looked at him vs. Gabriel vs. Moore is that he has a very slight frame.

I don't want to sell the kid short because he may be tough as nails but we are going into a conference with some big dudes.  His durability would be a concern for me until he bulks up.

Again, I don't know much about him and my impression is only what my opinion

Actually Novosad added physical weight and muscle during the off season.  His height is 6-3 and weighs around 201/202 pounds, up from 179 pounds.

Donte Moore:  6-3, 210 pounds

Dillan Gabriel: 5-11, 204 pounds

Luke Moga: 6-2, 200 pounds

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/28/2024 at 8:13 AM, Solar said:

It's just a spring game as we all know (Jeff Lockie went 12 for 12 once).

So many things had to be discounted. Pocket presence by all QBs was bad, and efficiency was bad, but lots of potential explanations for that.

All can throw a good ball at least. It seems clear that per the order of taking the field it DJ Moore is past Novasad already on the depth chart, despite this difference of experience in this offense.

Solar,

I "hate you" but love you.  I came away impressed overall.  But I also thought the QBs struggled early because they held onto the ball "too long". 

Not sure that's a long term deal, and I can only speculate they were pining to get those deep shots completed. 

They all adjusted.  But in the two tight games they'll play this year, those "mistakes" may cost the team the game (Ohio State and Michigan both looked very good on defense).   

think we keep Novosad if we get him the right NIL deal.  He's definitely a keeper, and it behooves Oregon to keep him off another roster.

On another note-I think OC Stein is going to be hard to keep.  Not sure he wants to be a HC, but he's another Chip Kelly.  Yes, he's that good. 

• Applause 1

On 4/28/2024 at 11:08 AM, Mike West said:

Solar,

I "hate you" but love you.  I came away impressed overall.  But I also thought the QBs struggled early because they held onto the ball "too long". 

Not sure that's a long term deal, and I can only speculate they were pining to get those deep shots completed. 

They all adjusted.  But in the two tight games they'll play this year, those "mistakes" may cost the team the game (Ohio State and Michigan both looked very good on defense).   

think we keep Novosad if we get him the right NIL deal.  He's definitely a keeper, and it behooves Oregon to keep him off another roster.

On another note-I think OC Stein is going to be hard to keep.  Not sure he wants to be a HC, but he's another Chip Kelly.  Yes, he's that good. 

I would also add that it seemed like the QBs were overly aware they’d be considered sacked if touched, especially in the first half…this definitely made them push.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Totally agree Charles.

Novasad was the best qb by far on sat.

Moga shows he's got chops too. And Dante has the physical tools.

We are indeed deep.

And Akili Smith Jr. is arriving next year!

I know it's just a spring game but was disappointed with Gabriel. His long balls weren't even close, and if Tez hadn't been making terrific catches, his completions would have been even more down.

These are just my untrained observations and thoughts. The thing is, Austin is the only qb who was here last year, the others just got here in Jan.

Maybe it's no surprise he looked the most comfortable with receivers routes and offensive timing.

He certainly provides confidence in that qb room.

In a pinch...I think we could win games with Novosad.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I can only take so much away from a scrimmage. Who was Gabriel facing on D? Were they more motivated on D in the first half? Were other QBs facing 4th stringers on D that don’t know the offensive playbook as well?

The depth was impressive, but I still came away thinking the pecking order remains exactly as it started, but as fans do, some back up will immediately become “the guy we should be starting”. A large percentage of fans were still calling to start what’s his face over Bo going into season 2 with Bo.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose one of the 4 before the portal closes here. Almost certainly not keeping all of the remaining 3 by 2025.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 4/28/2024 at 11:26 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I can only take so much away from a scrimmage. Who was Gabriel facing on D? Were they more motivated on D in the first half? Were other QBs facing 4th stringers on D that don’t know the offensive playbook as well?

The depth was impressive, but I still came away thinking the pecking order remains exactly as it started, but as fans do, some back up will immediately become “the guy we should be starting”. A large percentage of fans were still calling to start what’s his face over Bo going into season 2 with Bo.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose one of the 4 before the portal closes here. Almost certainly not keeping all of the remaining 3 by 2025.

You know,

Bama won two Nattys because they kept their top two QBs back to back years.  This team is potential dynasty material if Lanning and Stein are "Mac Daddy" recruiters.  

It's going to take two QBs to win a Natty here.  Our QB has to be a major factor in our running game.  I just don't see keeping the elite defenses honest without featuring the QB as another running threat. 

We're 4 deep. And I'm not concerned about DG.  They guy is a playmaker.  Proved that in Dallas LY.  Moore will have to step up to keep Novosad at bay.  That's a positive.  

I'm just a hack, but my strategy would be make the defenses handle all five skill positions. Run the damn QB.

• Yikes! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

If you win without running the QB much, I’d prefer that, and lower the offensive risk profile.

We have quarterbacks and receivers that can beat other teams by simply being patient in the pocket. Let’s win that way!

We averaged over 340 yards passing last year, with only three interceptions, and that shouts to a very efficient (Will) Stein offense.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Fun scrimmage but with split squads how do you truly judge anything including the terrific D line play against two make-shift O lines?

The best news. Over 40,000 in attendance; hats off to the OBD fans. No one was seriously injured. All of the dinged players are expected back for fall (summer) practice. A good time was had by all including the fans who stayed for a postgame concert. Another classy Ducks move. 

Moga? My goodness, he is FAST! He almost beat Cobbins to the end zone. At first, I wondered which of the DBs had this kind of speed before realizing that the guy closest to Cobbins was Moga. 

A lot of fun and it was great to see every player who dressed get reps. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 12:45 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Fun scrimmage but with split squads how do you truly judge anything including the terrific D line play against two make-shift O lines?

The best news. Over 40,000 in attendance; hats off to the OBD fans. No one was seriously injured. All of the dinged players are expected back for fall (summer) practice. A good time was had by all including the fans who stayed for a postgame concert. Another classy Ducks move. 

Moga? My goodness, he is FAST! He almost beat Cobbins to the end zone. At first, I wondered which of the DBs had this kind of speed before realizing that the guy closest to Cobbins was Moga. 

A lot of fun and it was great to see every player who dressed get reps. 

Right on, impossible to fully judge line play on both sides. We have a lot of dudes, a lot. Was fun to watch them in some action, and I’m certain Beavis will be even more angry than last week after reading the Oregonian article that clearly contrasts the differences in spring game atmospheres.

Has Beavis become Uncle Scooge McDuck?  Reality setting in goes something like; We won, we won! Looks at us! The administration has more money than they deserve! Oh wait, why do we suck? 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Plus I don't think the coaches were allowing the QBs to run really at all to minimize risk of injury.  That hamstrings a guy like Dillon Gabriel, also he and Dante are still new and don't have chemistry with the receivers yet.