Jon Joseph

Fox Announces 2024 Friday Night CFB Broadcasts

Fox has announced that it will broadcast nine B1G CFB games on Friday night. The Ducks are scheduled to play two Friday games on Fox.

WWW.SPORTSBUSINESSJOURNAL.COM

Fox is set to announce a season-long slate of Friday night games dubbed “Fox College Football Friday” that includes nine Big Ten matchups and a pair of Big 12 games.

The game vs Michigan State scheduled to be played on Saturday 10/5 will instead be broadcast on Friday 10/4 at 6 PM Pacific. This will give Oregon one more day of rest before Ohio State visits Autzen.

The game scheduled for 10/19 at Pudue will be played on Friday 10/18 at 5 PM Pacific instead. This means a short week for Oregon the week after the Ohio State game and Oregon's first visit to the Eastern time zone.

Additional Oregon games will likely be broadcast on CBS and NBC/Peacock on Friday night. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Oh no! 1

5e0fbf0e3c35a.jpg

LOS ANGELES — FOX Sports announced on Wednesday that the Oregon football team's games at home vs. Michigan State and on the road at Purdue in the upcoming 2024 season have both been moved to Friday nights.

The Ducks will host Michigan State in Autzen Stadium on Friday, Oct. 4, at 6 p.m. PT, and will travel to Purdue for a 5 p.m. PT game on Friday, Oct. 18. Both games will be broadcast on FOX.

Oregon's game against Michigan State will be its Big Ten Conference home opener, after kicking off league play at UCLA on Sept. 28. The Ducks will open their season with back-to-back home games against Idaho (Aug. 31) and Boise State (Sept. 7) before playing a rivalry game at Oregon State (Sept. 14) to close out nonconference play.

2024 Oregon Football Schedule
Aug. 31 – Idaho
Sept. 7 – Boise State
Sept. 14 – at Oregon State
Sept. 28 – at UCLA*
Oct. 4 (Fri.) – Michigan State*
Oct. 12 – Ohio State*
Oct. 18 (Fri.) – at Purdue*
Oct. 26 – Illinois*
Nov. 2 – at Michigan*
Nov. 9 – Maryland*
Nov. 16 – at Wisconsin*
Nov. 30 – Washington*

Home games at Autzen Stadium in bold
*Denotes Big Ten Conference game

• Applause 1

Not a huge fan of a short week for the players, but I am happy for the extra day of rest/preparation before the Ohio State game. 

And Friday night on Fox will get quite a few eyeballs so that cant hurt our brand either. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Extra day to recover before tOSU and UI…short week for MSU and Purdue. I think washes out favorably overall, slightly. 😆 

• Applause 1

I LOVE this, as the curiosity about Oregon will be high before the Ohio State game, and we should have a lot of eyeballs watching.

If we beat Ohio State, then the interest and eyeballs will be even more.

What a great way to build our audience immediately!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ok....two night games confirmed.  Sooooo....Smooth 12 y/o 'sippin" Bourbon, libation of choice it shall be!  

Go Ducks!  *hic* 🥴

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

Some more broadcast news. ESPN is sublicensing select playoff games to TNT.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Turner was the first cable network to broadcast college football in 1982

This news 'excites' Bill Hancock. I guess Billy Boy is easily excited.😍

Edited by Jon Joseph

Yeah I figured this was coming.  I'm not a big fan of night games, Friday games even less so (although I didn't mind the Civil War games the Friday after Thanksgiving).

Many of us who travel for home games are forced to take time off work for a Friday game.  I don't mind so much because I'm retired but the wifey is still working (bless her heart) so she won't be thrilled about this.

That said, I agree it's a great showcase for the Ducks, but as usual it's a bit of a hardship for travelling fans. 

Ultimately I'm just hoping for fewer night games period.

• Thumbs Up 1

SC only has to play one Friday night game.

College Football Fans Not Happy With 2024 Friday Night Schedule

oregon-stadium-at-night.webp

https://thespun.com/college-football/college-football-fans-not-happy-with-2024-friday-night-schedule

While it's great to get all those eyes on Oregon on a Fri night, that Purdue game just took on a whole new twist.

A short week, on the road, after tOSU...

It reads trap game all over it.

Oh well. That's why DL is trying so hard to be 4 deep at every position. It's a long season. Bring 'em on!

• Thumbs Up 1

No respect for former PAC teams from Fox -- including our Ducks.  Friday night is for HS football.  These are bottom tier games.  Notice tOSU, Michigan, Penn St. and Wisconsin have no Friday night games.  I'm really not happy about that Purdue game -- it makes preparation different and more difficult.  Definitely a trap game now.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/22/2024 at 7:51 PM, Cacker Guy said:

No respect for former PAC teams from Fox -- including our Ducks.  Friday night is for HS football.  These are bottom tier games.  Notice tOSU, Michigan, Penn St. and Wisconsin have no Friday night games.  I'm really not happy about that Purdue game -- it makes preparation different and more difficult.  Definitely a trap game now.

If you want the money you have to pay the dues. It was understood by all 4 Pac newbies that the Left Coast was likely to be saddled with several+ Friday night games and late kickoffs on Saturday.  For example, the Rutgers at SC game kicks off at 11 PM Eastern. 

Cannot alter geography. This is true of the NFL as well as college football.

However, no matter when the games are played they will be watched and reported pre and post-game by a viable conference network, Fox, CBS, and NBC. Michigan State is a 'look ahead' beware game and at Purdue is a trap game. Perhaps purposely balanced out to give Oregon a leg up in one case, and the opposite in the other case. 

It could be far worse, Oregon could be playing B12 conference games on Friday nights and being covered as a 'minor league' team behind the SEC on ESPN and behind the B1G on Fox. 

I do understand and share your pain. But cheer up, living on the Right Coast means that many the sporting event starts far too late. 

NJ Duck et al. This is just the Fox schedule. Expect more Friday night and late games when CBS and NBC/Peacock announce their broadcast schedules. 

On 5/22/2024 at 8:35 PM, Jon Joseph said:

NJ Duck et al. This is just the Fox schedule. Expect more Friday night and late games when CBS and NBC/Peacock announce their broadcast schedules.

🥹 I know sniff sniff!  😭...sad but true.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it’s fine. If we can’t beat Purdue on a short week then we’re going 7-5. They have a short week too…and they’re Purdue.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

On 5/22/2024 at 9:18 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I think it’s fine. If we can’t beat Purdue on a short week then we’re going 7-5. They have a short week too…and they’re Purdue.

It could be a lot worse, as we could have a short week prior to playing at Wisconsin!

Or at MICHIGAN.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I'm fine with this... 

But when fall rolls around I'll have a 2 year old and a 6 month old at home... Let's just say having night games at least means my girls are in bed. My eldest isn't took keen on me watching anything but Bluey... 

Granted Bluey is pretty good. 

But it isn't Duck Football. So for me a night game means I get to watch in mostly peace. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

The B1G is expected to have 16 Friday night games.   The Fox schedule announced today was 9 of them.

Theoretically, those 9 are each "the fourth best game of the B1G weekend."

The B1G Network and FS1 will also make an announcement regarding the other 7.

There will likely be two games Friday after Thanksgiving.  Iowa vs Nebraska has become "traditional."   In 2023 that game was 9:00 am PT, in 2022 it was 1:00 pm PT and my guess is it will stay a "day game" and not be part of Friday night.  

• Applause 1

SP+ has Oregon ranked No. 3, 2nd in the B1G behind No. 2 Ohio State.  Purdue is ranked 72nd, and 15th in the B1G.

As Charles notes above, Michigan State on Friday before the Ohio State game and Purdue on a short week is a good trade-off. 

Friday night games on Fox, CBS, and NBC are likely to draw B1G viewing audiences. The B1G Friday night games will likely open the coverage on Fox's Big Noon preview show and also be covered by ESPN's College Gameday.

On 5/22/2024 at 5:35 PM, Jon Joseph said:

We might get a 1 or 2 night games but I highly doubt we will get more Friday games, I don't think the B1G will want that at all.  I'm fine with this, I'm sure we're in store for one more night game at home, but to me this is just the trade off for getting into the B1G.  Give it a couple years and some success and it will begin to get better.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/22/2024 at 4:07 PM, NJDuck said:

SC only has to play one Friday night game.

I love that SC is still getting preferential treatment...Here's to the leaky condoms...

• Thumbs Up 1

Then I guess we better pummel the Buckeyes so we can rest out studs to get ready for Purwhoo? 

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2024 at 11:06 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm fine with this... 

But when fall rolls around I'll have a 2 year old and a 6 month old at home... Let's just say having night games at least means my girls are in bed. My eldest isn't took keen on me watching anything but Bluey... 

Granted Bluey is pretty good. 

But it isn't Duck Football. So for me a night game means I get to watch in mostly peace. 

I have a 9 year old daughter and she still watches Bluey.  I don't say anything because I secretly like it.  The Dad is pretty solid in that show, especially in the "neighbors" episode.  Both my wife and daughter say all the time that he is exactly like me.  I might push for NIL Bluey money.

I also like night games because I get to watch with no interruptions.   

Edited by GeotechDuck

giphy.gif

Omigosh!  I just had a flashback to all the shows I

had to watch so many years ago when my daughter was small.

Do I want to watch them again?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/23/2024 at 9:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

Omigosh!  I just had a flashback to all the shows I

had to watch so many years ago when my daughter was small.

Do I want to watch them again?

giphy.gif

I put up with a bunch of things that she likes right now because that's the way life is...

but Bluey is an adult cartoon dressed up as a kids show. It's quite good.

giphy.gif

Edited by David Marsh
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had SpongeBob on in the background once while my daughter was watching, as I was reading the paper.  Then I heard him say something that was advanced vocabulary, along with a punchline kids would never understand.  They were keeping us parents amused as well!

My favorite SpongeBob scene...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck