Charles Fischer

Stunning Recruiting Info Has Me Shaking My Head Again...

On another site, they reported a list of the ten recruits visiting this weekend and it blew me away.  High 4-Star and 5-Star players deciding between the biggest programs, and Oregon is right in there.

Next weekend is a list nearly double, and between the two weekends...one pundit said, "that is a future list of All-Americans being recruited." For Oregon to be so strong in the mix has me again shaking my head at our good fortune with Dan Lanning.

There is not a single 3-Star visiting over the next two weeks, although I do love the project guys that we develop.  The point is--the quality on the Oregon campus is so much higher than when even Cristobal was recruiting, and he was pretty darn good. Whew!

We gotta count our Blessings...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

What a great time to be a Duck!

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

The Oregon football program will host nine of the nation's  best 2025 recruits for official visits this weekend.

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon football program will host nine of the nation's best 2025 recruits for official visits this weekend. The visits will get underway on June 14.

I heard that the 2025 class may be smaller than previous years because of how the roster is right now. Can anyone confirm?

On 6/15/2024 at 4:24 PM, kirklandduck said:

I heard that the 2025 class may be smaller than previous years because of how the roster is right now. Can anyone confirm?

I read that as well.  Between the big high school classes, and in particular, the portal classes--not as much room.

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/15/2024 at 4:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I read that as well.  Between the big high school classes, and in particular, the portal classes--not as much room.

That probably helps explain the seeming hyperfocus on high end blue chips only. DL and the staff are swinging for the fences and I love it.

Isn’t this impossible to know? Have to think there will be some portal churn of 4 star guys that leave because of playing time. Could be 5, could be 25.

On 6/15/2024 at 4:24 PM, kirklandduck said:

What is a small class anymore? I'd guess a class of at least 24-25.

A look at a post spring two-deep shows 23 seniors (Holden, Johnson, Harper, Bedford, Cornelius, Ferguson, Gabriel, Burch, Caldwell, Harmon, Bassa, Jacobs, Muhammad, Alexander, Tysheem J., Brandon J., Savage, Manning, Reed, Ware-Hudson, Herbert, Strother, Silva) plus Soelle (unless he is on a NIL deal) and Boettcher (who has to be on football scholarship if he returns and is still listed post spring on the GoDucks roster). In addition, one spot that just has to be considered uncertain due to legal concerns.

There have to be at least 3 more guys who, with expected big seasons, could test the NFL waters in Conerly, Stewart, and James.

Given the huge number of seniors expected to start this fall, one might expect the Duck staff to be working the portal pretty heavily for 2025 (and possibly holding extra spots open); but, that isn't necessarily required as transfers in can always be balanced with transfers out.

I guess one could suggest among the young guys, there isn't a ton the staff isn't going to try and hang onto; but, I'd probably argue it is equally hard to say no and stop at 18 or 19 recruits when there are 5-6 more blue-chippers ready to sign (a good problem to have for sure).

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I truly believe that Lanning is very close to that hallowed ground that Saban and Carroll were in.......he is not recruiting......he is selecting. 

Once you enter this ground you don't rebuild, you reload. 

All that is left is to win a NC. 

Once he does that he'll be able to have 5 star folks at backup positions across the board.

He is close....very close. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Oregon has done well. They have positioned themselves near the top of college football in the minds of highschool recruits and portal transfers.

The leadership at UO and Nike have been brilliant at maneuvering in this rapidly changing landscape driven by money and power.

There are so many layers to the college game outside of fall saturdays. Oregon has played this game as well as any other program in the country.

From NIL to conference realignment to portal transfers, Oregon is at the top of the game. Now they just need it to translate on the field.

With the massive changes in the game there will be a ton of losers and a few winners. Looks like Oregon is in the winners bracket.

With the culling of the herd and Oregon leaderships ability to see around corners of an ever changing landscape, Oregon will continue to attract a high level of blue chip talent.

In the end, there will be only two conferences elite talent will be looking to. Oregon, so it seems, is perceived as one of the elites of the Big 2 in the minds of recruits.

Oregon is in position to become the elite program of the west. That is a huge advantage over Trojan and Fusky. It appears soon Oregon will be on equal footing as UGA, tOSU, Bama, Mich...

So these visits and increasing commitments of elite talent, to me, isn't surprising. I said it months ago, Lanning and the Ducks will simply reload every year.

Soon, instead of me saying at the end of seasons "we are losing this guy or that", I will be saying "ok... who's next".

And that's pretty cool!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Coach Lanning and staff certainly have their recruiting plan in place and are working that plan fulltime.

The high level of recruits for 2025 and beyond is off the charts for this old Duck fan.  Love it!

Now we need to beat the huskies. 3 losses in a row is just frustrating. Must be corrected.

Then we need to win the BIG Conference games against UM, tOSU and Whisky. 11-1? 10-2?

Can the staff rise to the occasion in the biggest of games? 

DL and staff are 21-5 because they haven't won the really big games on the schedule. Other than Georgia, which was a blow out loss, 4-3 point losses kept OBD's out of the playoffs.

The 2024 squad has too much talent to not go 11-1 or 11-2. Both losses to tOSU.....

Go Ducks......

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/16/2024 at 11:58 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Must be corrected.

I think it has.  3 x 3 point losses due to a generational QB, NFL receivers, great OLine and great secondary vs our great QB, 1 NFL receiver, a great Oline, decent secondary, injured QB for 1 loss and questionable decisions for another and injuries (part of the game) for the 3rd.

Ewe dubs cupboard is quite bare, our's NOT AT ALL.

I see another great streak coming.

Looking forward to my 90th birthday when we pull ahead in the series 64 - 63 after 16 straight.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 6/16/2024 at 11:58 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Must be corrected.

Nothing more to correct.

Again...the difference between our starting corners of Jahil Florence and Kyree Jackson over the subs of Twikze Bridges and Donte Manning was signficant in the Washington games of 2023.  Yet we did NOT have our starting corners in the second half of the first Washington game, and the ENTIRE second game.

We lost by only three points each time to a very skilled passing team?  Our starters are worth more than three points in a big-time passing game....who knows how many plays Jackson alone would have prevented?

Have healthy corners and we are fine.  And this year....we have a boatload of corners, and the starters are even better(Muhammad and Alexander)

The Super-Fast Kam Alexander...

UTSA corner Kam Alexander rises to FBS challenge with Roadrunners

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I was surprised how many UW players were drafted last year. I thought that Oregon had the more talented roster, given our recruiting rankings over the past couple of years, but the NFL scouts and front offices believed differently.  

Oregon lost by 3 points 2x to the more talented team last year - on the road and at a neutral site. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/16/2024 at 1:30 PM, OregonDucks said:

but the NFL scouts and front offices believed differently.  

I think comparing draft eligible and those that decided to remain might be the difference.

On 6/16/2024 at 1:03 PM, Charles Fischer said:

ENTIRE second game.

We lost by only three points each time to a very skilled passing team?  Our starters are worth more than three points in a big-time passing game....

Also lost Burch in the first series of the second game. 

Burch was playing his best by this part of the season. 

He was probably worth 3 points right there as well. Especially in disrupting the run game.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/16/2024 at 2:58 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Other than Georgia, which was a blow out loss, 4-3 point losses kept OBD's out of the playoffs.

HappyToBeADuck, 

I am not happy to throw a glass of cold water on your comment, but the Ducks lost to the Beavs by four points (38-34); that was a very tough game to watch and from which to walk away. I kept asking myself how can two excellent coordinator-type defensive-minded coaches both miss how the Beavs are catching up and not make changes in their alignment? 

So the Ducks have 3 x 3 point losses (all to the Huskies), 1 x 4 point loss (Beavs), and one x 46 point loss (Dogs). Nothing personal against FSU, but when they lost to Georgia 63-3 in the Orange Bowl last year, it was as if that 49-3 loss had been expunged from the national record. FSU was 13-0 for their season up to that game, and then the Bulldogs happened to them. Yes, they had almost 20 players that chose to step away from the team - that's a leadership and cohesion issue. When the Ducks play Idaho at the end of August, we may have that same type of problem but with a different slant; we will have the talent, but will all the Ducks be a coherent and cohesive Team, intent on winning every game and on internally helping each other become the best players they can be this year. We'll see.

DL and his staff created a very good cohesive team this past year. Let's see if they can do it three times in a row. My money is on DL and our team.

Best regards, VR, and Go Ducks!

KCDuck1

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2024 at 3:50 PM, KCDuck1 said:

the Ducks lost to the Beavs by four points (38-34); that was a very tough game to watch and from which to walk away. I kept asking myself how can two excellent coordinator-type defensive-minded coaches both miss how the Beavs are catching up and not make changes in their alignment? 

I have pondered that, and concluded that we were too small and deficient in 2022 on defense, and the coaches couldn't make a change without taking a chance of it getting even worse.  They know a lot more football than I, and more important--know the personnel, while I am not at practice every day as they are.

The players we will have on defense this year is like night-and-day difference.  Remember--after the Eastern Washington game in 2022, the coaches realized that we had to play a very safe, conservative and simple defense that year.  Last year in 2023 we saw a TON more blitzes, and I believe we will see even more this year.

Coaches get seem to get smarter when the talent is better...

Boettcher Sack_Screenshot from Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/16/2024 at 4:14 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I have pondered that, and concluded that we were too small and deficient in 2022 on defense, and the coaches couldn't make a change without taking a chance of it getting even worse.  They know a lot more football than I, and more important--know the personnel, while I am not at practice every day as they are.

I also felt that Lanning didn't want to come in and blow up the roster and the team. He wanted to build trust with the existing team and not come in and blow it all apart. 

He did a lot of recruiting the team he inherited. Remember Seven McGee and Sean Dollars. Both wanted to bail and transfer and they entered the portal only to return to the team. 

Yeah neither would amount to much at Oregon and both would transfer the following year. But there is something to be said he wanted to evaluate and build with the team he had which wasn't a bad team but it was far from the team he needed. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 3:49 PM, David Marsh said:

Also lost Burch in the first series of the second game. 

Burch was playing his best by this part of the season. 

He was probably worth 3 points right there as well. Especially in disrupting the run game.

The no confidence field goal kicking was a major factor in those games as well and that has been addressed.

Oregon Football Recruiting: 5-Star Offensive Tackle Jackson Cantwell Blown Away by Visit

The Oregon Ducks made a great first impression on one of the top players in the 2026 class.

WWW.SI.COM

The Oregon Ducks are on their way to making a big impression on the 2025 recruiting cycle. However, they are also making their mark on the 2026 class as well.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck