FishDuck Article

The Ducks Are Halfway There

For two quarters on Saturday, the Ducks played like the team fans knew they could be. There was rhythm, flow, and the wide receivers were heavily involved in the offense. Meanwhile, the defense was stuffing the vaunted UCLA rushing attack. The Ducks outscored the Bruins 27-3 during the second and third quarters, which brought on flashbacks of their monumental, early-season ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

What I saw was a very good running team, the Ducks need to understand they are a run first team. We have Dye and others who can carry the load.

If the Ducks run the ball 60% of the time and have AB throw short passes 40% of the time we just might win out. We can beat all the teams with this scenario and the team performing to their potential.

The problem I see is Cristobal now thinking AB can make all the throws. We are going to see even more interceptions if AB throws more, and throws passes he isn't good at. 

This season hinges on the Ducks realizing their strengths and weaknesses. I think our Achilles Heal, going forward, will be the interception. AB had 4 last Saturday when he tried to light it up, 2 were called back.

They may be halfway there but they need to realize what got them there and how to get the rest of the way, on the ground! If AB is our guy, then we have to realize his limitations, if not, we will be disappointed.

5rvd0j.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The coaches need to game plan the opposition, both offense and defense, based upon game film, not go in with a mind set for percentages.

I think we all agree, AB isn't a deep threat.  But what if he starts throwing 50/50 balls to our taller receivers and they deliver.  Do we keep that in the games?  Might as well since you do want the appearance that you will/can go deep.

Unfortunately, the coming game against Colorado could be a pyrite game.

With a 4 score spread, this needs to be accomplished midway through the 3rd quarter.  However, that could cause an interesting situation, Ty Thompson in the game and looking like a 5* QB.  Then, if AB struggles in the future, the chants may return.

The Ducks need to make sure they play Ohio St each week and not the competition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Darren for the good article! Great point on Moorhead calling plays.  

"Call me crazy, but it would seem reading formations in order to make more informed play-calling would be more of an advantage..."

Almost all OC's I've seen call plays from above.  There are less distractions up there than the sidelines.  Communication from his spotters is quicker!  The next play is chosen and communicated clearly and faster.

I can agree with those who prefer to be on the sideline -  so much energy is felt from the players.  However, I believe calm consistent smart play calling is achieved up in the box.

A 50/50 ball to our taller receivers is a great idea. The problem is the ball has to be thrown in a way both guys have a 50/50 chance of catching the ball.

Against Stanford the DB, or was it a linebacker knew exactly what AB was going to throw and almost caught two interceptions. I have been surprised no other defense has been able to read the limited number of passes AB is able to throw. The pass to the sideline is AB's pass and a very exposed throw on its way across the field.

A longer ball to our taller receiver has to be where our guy is. I don't think we can count on AB to make that precise of a pass down the field.

What I am trying to do is live with AB as our qb the rest of the season. He has his limitations, one turnover against Cal and two against UCLA.

I don't think AB can be counted on to win games like many of our previous qb's could. We need him to manage the game, hand the ball off, make the passes he is good at, and limit his mistakes, opportunities to make mistakes.

I thought UCLA was AB's chance to show us he could pass. I just hope the game didn't make him and the coaches cocky he can now make any throw on the field, he can't, and if he does we will see even more interceptions and the games outcome at even more risk.

• Thumbs Up 2

"We need him to manage the game, hand the ball off, make the passes he is good at, and limit his mistakes, opportunities to make mistakes."

Amen

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/26/2021 at 8:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

A 50/50 ball to our taller receivers is a great idea. The problem is the ball has to be thrown in a way both guys have a 50/50 chance of catching the ball.

Watching AB throw "deep" passes I saw him throw 10 feet above and 5 yards deeper than his receivers. He just doesn't have the touch, feel to make those passes. It's like he has depth perception issues or is nearsighted. 

• Thumbs Up 2

He is like someone learning to drive who made it home a couple times and now a few around him seem to think he can take the sports car out, with a manual stick, and hit the highway. We need to keep him with an automatic transmission and just cruising around the neighborhood he knows well.

I am not saying AB necessarily wants to go full bore with passing, but the coaches need to guide him and control his opportunities. We don't need to see him doing something the risk reward isn't heavily in our favor.

5rvzez.jpg

On 10/26/2021 at 9:58 AM, Haywarduck said:

What I saw was a very good running team, the Ducks need to understand they are a run first team. We have Dye and others who can carry the load.

If the Ducks run the ball 60% of the time and have AB throw short passes 40% of the time we just might win out. We can beat all the teams with this scenario and the team performing to their potential.

The problem I see is Cristobal now thinking AB can make all the throws. We are going to see even more interceptions if AB throws more, and throws passes he isn't good at. 

This season hinges on the Ducks realizing their strengths and weaknesses. I think our Achilles Heal, going forward, will be the interception. AB had 4 last Saturday when he tried to light it up, 2 were called back.

They may be halfway there but they need to realize what got them there and how to get the rest of the way, on the ground! If AB is our guy, then we have to realize his limitations, if not, we will be disappointed.

5rvd0j.jpg

Terrible play calling late in the game game a game manager QB the chance to lose the game. Throwing those 2 passes made ZERO sense when you ar up 2 TDs late in the game on the road with a QB who is marginal at best.

• Thumbs Up 4

My fear is those around him and maybe AB thinks he is an NFL talent, and needs to show he can throw the long ball. 

I definitely don't know it all and he could surprise us all. I just don't want the surprise I am expecting to come to fruition. That won't be good for Brown, or the Green and Yellow.

Anyone who saw Richard Pryor can put their own tagline on this shot. He, I think, expresses the look on Oregon fans faces when decisions are made which can best be called questionable.

5rw1ld.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Cheers to you, Darren for a fine piece of writing, have the Ducks seen the light? Or will Bon Jovi  still carry the day?

I hope that was a "Statement " game, a powerful rebuke to Corso for his betrayal in front of a national audience. There wasn't one utterance from Fowler or Herbie of the Ducks being "overrated". not even during those misbegotten quarters.

Next week the Ducks are being served "Buffs On A Platter" should be a very tasty meal, a pleasant afternoon setting with all their Ducks loving fans cheering them on as they devour their prey. Let's see AB at the top of his game, brimming with confidence, Never Say Dye will be right next to him. and Williams, Redd, Johnson And Pittman, will be running free.

For those brief moments when the Buffs have the ball. KT and the gang will make them want to give it back, or they might take it away themselves, either way, will do, particularly if some nice sacks are included. We all hope the best for Coach Moorhead, from whatever vantage point he chooses.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:32 AM, Steven A said:

The coaches need to game plan the opposition, both offense and defense, based upon game film, not go in with a mind set for percentages.

I think we all agree, AB isn't a deep threat.  But what if he starts throwing 50/50 balls to our taller receivers and they deliver.  Do we keep that in the games?  Might as well since you do want the appearance that you will/can go deep.

Unfortunately, the coming game against Colorado could be a pyrite game.

With a 4 score spread, this needs to be accomplished midway through the 3rd quarter.  However, that could cause an interesting situation, Ty Thompson in the game and looking like a 5* QB.  Then, if AB struggles in the future, the chants may return.

The Ducks need to make sure they play Ohio St each week and not the competition.

True. I think if the Ducks are in command late, instead of putting in Thompson, they should keep AB in and work on some areas. 

On 10/26/2021 at 6:58 AM, Haywarduck said:

5rvd0j.jpg

Yup, and this is a great opportunity this Saturday to fine tune the areas that the Ducks excel at. 

Woah, we're half way there

Woah, livin' on a prayer

Catch my pass, we'll make it I swear

Woah, livin' on a prayer

Anthony Brown

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 7:59 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Darren for the good article! Great point on Moorhead calling plays.  

"Call me crazy, but it would seem reading formations in order to make more informed play-calling would be more of an advantage..."

Almost all OC's I've seen call plays from above.  There are less distractions up there than the sidelines.  Communication from his spotters is quicker!  The next play is chosen and communicated clearly and faster.

I can agree with those who prefer to be on the sideline -  so much energy is felt from the players.  However, I believe calm consistent smart play calling is achieved up in the box.

I think he just needs to do whatever helps him call his best game, and that may well be up in the box!

On 10/26/2021 at 8:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

Against Stanford the DB, or was it a linebacker knew exactly what AB was going to throw and almost caught two interceptions. I have been surprised no other defense has been able to read the limited number of passes AB is able to throw. The pass to the sideline is AB's pass and a very exposed throw on its way across the field.

A longer ball to our taller receiver has to be where our guy is. I don't think we can count on AB to make that precise of a pass down the field.

What I am trying to do is live with AB as our qb the rest of the season. He has his limitations, one turnover against Cal and two against UCLA.

I don't think AB can be counted on to win games like many of our previous qb's could. We need him to manage the game, hand the ball off, make the passes he is good at, and limit his mistakes, opportunities to make mistakes.

I thought UCLA was AB's chance to show us he could pass. I just hope the game didn't make him and the coaches cocky he can now make any throw on the field, he can't, and if he does we will see even more interceptions and the games outcome at even more risk.

Certainly not win games with his arm, though his feet have worked well late in games. As you point out his main limitation is throwing the ball downfield, is this something they could improve upon? Could Moorhead scheme something up to help this out? Teams should be looking for those sidline passes, perhaps the Ducks can use that to their advantage by pump faking to the outside then hit something over the middle... but of course it all comes down to AB's accuracy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:15 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Terrible play calling late in the game game a game manager QB the chance to lose the game. Throwing those 2 passes made ZERO sense when you ar up 2 TDs late in the game on the road with a QB who is marginal at best.

I'm not quite sure they were at a point where they could go all run, they still needed some first downs. They were just awful decisions by AB. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:54 AM, 30Duck said:

Cheers to you, Darren for a fine piece of writing, have the Ducks seen the light? Or will Bon Jovi  still carry the day?

I hope that was a "Statement " game, a powerful rebuke to Corso for his betrayal in front of a national audience. There wasn't one utterance from Fowler or Herbie of the Ducks being "overrated". not even during those misbegotten quarters.

Next week the Ducks are being served "Buffs On A Platter" should be a very tasty meal, a pleasant afternoon setting with all their Ducks loving fans cheering them on as they devour their prey. Let's see AB at the top of his game, brimming with confidence, Never Say Dye will be right next to him. and Williams, Redd, Johnson And Pittman, will be running free.

For those brief moments when the Buffs have the ball. KT and the gang will make them want to give it back, or they might take it away themselves, either way, will do, particularly if some nice sacks are included. We all hope the best for Coach Moorhead, from whatever vantage point he chooses.

Would be nice if the Ducks can build some confidence throwing the ball downfiled in this game, for sure. 

On 10/26/2021 at 1:17 PM, Darren Perkins said:

I'm not quite sure they were at a point where they could go all run, they still needed some first downs. They were just awful decisions by AB. 

Ok, so call sideline passes that worked all day long. Not a throw over the middle and a wing and a prayer throw by a guy with a scatter-shot arm into the end zone. I stand by what I said, these were 2 terrible calls.

Great article and great responses. Regarding consistency, I’d only add that the gap lapse between TOSU and UCLA was affected by major injuries to both offense and defense, and the adjustments made in both rhythm and timing those required. Getting returning starters back plus game tested replacements is helping to turn that corner.  AB’s passing is certainly a problem, but he’s not a one trick pony.

We’re productive and not predictable when he mixes his sideline routes with Dye coming out of the backfield. And you just have to hold your breath and let him go deep once in a while to keep them honest. We criticize him for good reason, but we are hard on him. Justin Herbert is tough act to follow.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:54 PM, 30Duck said:

Yep, we're living on a prayer, no doubt.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:03 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Great article and great responses. Regarding consistency, I’d only add that the gap lapse between TOSU and UCLA was affected by major injuries to both offense and defense, and the adjustments made in both rhythm and timing those required. Getting returning starters back plus game tested replacements is helping to turn that corner.  AB’s passing is certainly a problem, but he’s not a one trick pony.

We’re productive and not predictable when he mixes his sideline routes with Dye coming out of the backfield. And you just have to hold your breath and let him go deep once in a while to keep them honest. We criticize him for good reason, but we are hard on him. Justin Herbert is tough act to follow.

Getting healthy is key, such as having Thibs back healthy. 

On 10/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Yep, we're living on a prayer, no doubt.

This week the Ducks change that to, "Life Could Be A Dream"

LOVE IT!

How about Bad, Bad, Anthony Brown. 

Baddest Man in the whole damn town. 

Meaner than Buffs, Cougars, Utes + Beavs,

Chomps down on Dawgs as he so please.

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Would be nice if the Ducks can build some confidence throwing the ball downfiled in this game, for sure. 

Yes, with Ty throwing the ball, not AB. He just does not have the arm for the deep ball. Accept it, and have AB stay to screens, hash marks, mid sideline and edge passes. We have shown we can make good yards after gain. Couple that with him and the RB’s on the ground and we should still be able to move the ball freely if we execute.