NJDuck

Canzano: Overheard at the Pac-12's Las Vegas Cocktail Party...

Thoughts on the Pac-12 Football Media Day.  I must say, this is very sad and pathetic.

edfd9df1-c187-4272-813f-bb84b4be4de6_571

Reminds me of the Three Dog Night Song which I will label it as the Pac-2 theme song:

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

Two can be as bad as one

It's the loneliest number since the number one

No is the saddest experience you'll ever know

Yes, it's the saddest experience you'll ever know

'Cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

One is the oneliest number, whoa-oh, worse than two

It's just no good anymore since you went away

Now I spend my time just making rhymes of yesterday

One is the loneliest number

One is the the loneliest number

One is the loneliest number

One is the the loneliest number

It's just no good anymore since went away

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Thoughts on the Pac-12 Football Media Day

• Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Said Ryan Leaf: “You’ve kept the Pac-12 brand and they’re going to come scrambling back.”

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

The PAC TWho???

Every clown act lessens the brand…no one will want to come back.

Posted (edited)

What if you had a party and ...

At least the acoustics were good. 😂

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1

I read the Big 12 are negotiating with Clemson and Florida St.

How does that make you feel, Pac (1)2?

Rebuilding the Pac will result in it becoming a G5 conference. Even with NIL they won't be able to compete. 

Not trying to be cruel, but having NFL bust Ryan Leaf be a headliner seems rather ironically appropriate. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There isn't enough content for a media day... 

A media morning maybe. 

But all the attention is not on the potential of the programs and hyping up the upcoming season but instead on whether they'll be even remotely relevant in the next few months... Let alone years. 

If the Beavs and Cougs want to survive they'll need to have one make the playoff this year and look like they can compete once there. 

Only then they may get a shot at joining a conference. 

John just can't help himself.   I get his ' I love the little guy' message but enough.  

Out of one side of his mouth he blames the schools for their lack of marketing and branding, then he wants us all to feel sorry for them because they got left behind. 

Hey John, we see what you are doing there.  It's pretty straight forward, I need Bray and Dickert to come on my radio show so I have to patronize them in a way gives new meaning to obsequiousness and then I need to look like I am not showing any bias so periodically I will criticize them.  

• Mic drop 1

On 7/11/2024 at 5:00 PM, DanLduck said:

Rebuilding the Pac will result in it becoming a G5 conference. Even with NIL they won't be able to compete. 

Not trying to be cruel, but having NFL bust Ryan Leaf be a headliner seems rather ironically appropriate. 

Also trying not to be cruel, but choosing Ryan Leaf shows how clueless this ragtag bunch is. The very same week that the B12 media days, in the same hotel I believe, gets sidelined by a star player getting a DUI and his coach reaction being to state he himself has probably driven drunk “1,000’s of times”, the PIG2 decides that having a multi-substance addict who spent time in jail was just the right symbol to celebrate and give the impression of drinking with college students at a cocktail party.

Contrast this with the very well done MWC media days, also in Vegas

Solid effort PIG2.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1

Thompson said he viewed the events of last August as “an assault on the West Coast.” He added: “College football needs us to succeed.”

R

Really? Seems like it's been fine without these two doing anything.

— Teresa Gould, the commissioner, was solid talking about her vision and the complicated path that stands before the Pac-12. There was no news here. Just Gould, saying that she’s into the fight.

Well you're trying I guess. Better than Larry or George. But Bob the tomato and Larry the cucumber would do better than those two.

— Gould was asked whether the Pac-12 had locked in broadcast teams for the games that will be carried on The CW. I’m told they’re close to finalizing the broadcast teams but Gould said: “We’re not there yet.” It sounded to me like she wanted the network to make that announcement.

So nothing's changed.

— The Pac-12 is an easy target for jokes. There are only two schools left. They’ve been squeezed out of the ‘Power 4’ by no fault of their own. Gould’s strongest remarks came when she pointed out that Oregon State and Washington State had never in their history competed at anything but the highest levels of college athletics and still belong there.

Ummm, when have they competed? Existed and sucked. Not what I'd call competing. They don't belong in a P4 league. Nobody saw them as a commodity. Not even the desperate ACC, or Truck Stop Big Twelve. Yeah that's what Beavis and Coogler fans were calling it last year when there were rumors of the Big Twelve poaching schools from the PAC 12.

“Why is

that even a question?” she said.

Because you have two teams and call yourself a conference. Plus this is "media day". The day the media asks questions.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I see leafs already drying up and falling from trees 

After the PAC imploded I still wished them well. I thought Cal and Furd should have stuck around. Then bringing in SD St and SMU would have been a no brainer. After that, go get Tulane and maybe Boise St and Fresno St and you have a legit conference that can maybe hold on to P5 status.

But what’s happened instead is just a joke.Cal and Furd moving to the ACC for peanuts is just ridiculous and looks like the panic move that it was.

Since blowing bringing in Texas and OU, every decision the PAC has made has been a disaster. OSU and WSU should just join the Mountain West where they belong and be done with this circus.

• Applause 2

On 7/13/2024 at 9:08 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

After the PAC imploded I still wished them well. I thought Cal and Furd should have stuck around. Then bringing in SD St and SMU would have been a no brainer. After that, go get Tulane and maybe Boise St and Fresno St and you have a legit conference that can maybe hold on to P5 status.

But what’s happened instead is just a joke.Cal and Furd moving to the ACC for peanuts is just ridiculous and looks like the panic move that it was.

The Bay Area schools have always been academic snobs and likely killed PAC-12 expansion options because they didn’t want to associate with certain universities. 

I was really hoping that Cal and Stanford would be invited to join the B1G. They certainly have the academics and are competitive in other sports. Then the B1G would have the entire West Coast from Seattle to Los Angeles and could have created pods for scheduling purposes.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/11/2024 at 8:00 PM, DanLduck said:

The rumor also includes Notre Dame and Miami. Crazy, right? Adding Clemson and FSU will not happen without the existing 16 B12 members agreeing to take a financial haircut. Teams in the ACC could do the same so why move? Notre Dame, to the B12? Come On Man. ND will go to one of the Power 2 or it will go nowhere. 

Had the Pac-12 hired the B12 commish and not another Larry, the Pac-12 would perhaps still 'be open for business.'

Kliavkoff fiddled while Yormack went to work.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/13/2024 at 11:20 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Kliavkoff fiddled while Yormack went to work.

I honestly feel that the PAC hands out a brandy snifter, smoking jacket and monopoly man monocle to their new commissioners and say “ This is how we do things here.”

There is just no other explanation as to how two commissioners could be so unbelievably out of touch with where college sports were heading and what it takes to remain competitive.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 7/13/2024 at 11:40 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I honestly feel that the PAC hands out a brandy snifter, smoking jacket and monopoly man monocle to their new commissioners and say “ This is how we do things here.”

There is just no other explanation as to how two commissioners could be so unbelievably out of touch with where college sports were heading and what it takes to remain competitive.

They believed they were on equal footing as the Big Ten. Kind of like brothers in arms. The two oldest conferences with similar academic beliefs. What they failed to see was the way the Big Ten did everything the smart way from their conference network, to making deals that kept them in the same moneymaking park as the SEC.

I do believe the Big Ten would've preferred the PAC to still exist. But when USC came to them asking for a lifeline, they knew the goose was in the oven. Even still, the reason Oregon and Washington weren't invited the first go around was a last stitch effort to see if George could save the league. Plus they got arguably the best current brand (Oregon) at a major steal. Half of what they got UCLA for.

Did the Big Ten strike the death blow? I'd say the PAC fell on their own proverbial sword by being blind to the fact the Big Ten evolved to fight the SEC. The Big 12 has evolved with far less tools at their disposal.

Thank you, Sammy, for an objective media take on an embarrassing so-called "Pac-12" media day.

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

Now, with just Oregon State and Washington State remaining, the Pac-12 is clinging on to anything they can in hopes of staying afloat.

• Thanks 1

"Saddest Party Ever"  C'mon....you have to admit...that is FUNNY!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Funny how Ashley Adamson jumped to the B1G broadcasting before Yogi! She is a forever Foug but apparently "foever" isn't...I do think she makes for se?y TV though! Welcome to the B1G show Ashley...