30Duck

I Love This

Apparently Carson Palmer was on the "Dan Patrick Show" the other day, and since there is nothing else to talk about with former Trojans than the Coach search, Palmer threw out some names, and Mike Tomlin, head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, was one of them.

image.jpeg.d3d4ed515343ec7892d7b47d55e86e0e.jpeg

Tomlin is one of the most successful coaches in the NFL. Super Bowl win, the Steelers have never finished below.500%. So, when a reporter asked him about his interest in the USC job, not only did he say there was no chance he'd leave the NFL to take a college job. He was insulted. 

"is any body asking Sean Payton or Andy Reid this question?" Of course not. It may have been just because Palmer threw his name out there, but this is what I love about this.

USC is desperate. They blew off Orgeron, ( No School is going to hire a untested coach as a Head Coach because the players want him), Kiffin, Sarkisian, Helton, it hasn't gone well at USC, 

This hire is huge. Helton had a winning record, won a Rose Bowl, but he basically spent his entire tenure on the hot seat, Why would Fickell leave Cincinnati, Franklin, Penn State for USC?

USC's fan base are frontrunners. When Carroll was on his run, the Coliseum was the place to be, SnoopDogg was there. But, if USC isn't playing for the "Natty" the Coliseum is dreary. The AD knows that the fan's won't take to a Up and Comer as the new Coach. SC needs a name, But they aren't interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tomlin was actually insulted that anyone would believe that he'd take a college job.

USC is flat out bad on both LOS. The 5* DL guy SC recruited has de-committed and signed with Georgia. 

SC is a big time rebuild and with tougher admission requirements than when McKay and Robinson were there. And an administration that may not share the same fervor for football as when McKay + Robinson were there?

How many Pac-12 powers-that-be today care about the conference being competitive in CFB? And if they do care do they have the money to spend to compete at the top level of P5 CFB? There will be more Mel Tucker situations.

[IMO, CFB is headed to 4 -16 team conferences and also IMO, the Pac-12 just missed the boat in failing to move to 16 teams.]

Why would any coach leave the financially secure B1G and SEC for a Pac-12 job? Who knows what kind of new media deal GK will pull off but it will not come close to the money received by B1G and SEC teams.  

Mario at $4.4M and J Smith at $2.4M, less than what the AZ coach is being paid, are prime candidates to be poached by schools with better financial resources? Smith is the lowest paid HC in the conference and Mario is behind Shaw, Kelly and Whittingham. 

My guess? SC ends up with a G5 coach or a former NFL coach?

Every programs coaching hires are important. Every fan bases support for their coach is important. 

SC doesn't have an AD who knows how to hire a coach who can win in LA. The question will be does he fall into a great hire, because the lists and prospects aren't good.

The other aspect is the AD and fanbase have made the job a very unattractive place to coach. Who in their right mind would leave a good, appreciated job to sit on a seat, which is already hot? They are going to have to hire somebody who wants to rebuild their reputation, end of story. That coach is then going to have to do a complete rebuild of the many aspects needed for a successful program, good luck with that one.

This all adds up to a bonus for the Oregon program. I think, sooner rather than later, the top prospects are going to see through the glare coming off the program, and see it is coming off mirrors, a simple smoke and mirror show. It could be argued that is already happening.

Oregon is The Program on the west coast, we win, still have a allure which hopefully we preserve, and build on as Cristobal's tenure continues to grow. The AD and fanbase need to keep fostering this growth, while understanding the process.

• Thumbs Up 2

I sure hope all the turmoil and put downs of MC will not help him leave us. I know that if I put my heart and soul into something and get very little respect and appreciation for my hard work it sure didn't make me want to stay where I was working, no matter how much money I got paid. 

This is the first time we have had enough depth to with-stand all the key injuries and still keep winning. That alone is the main reason everyone should get down on their knees and be so thankful and pray he doesn't leave.

His recruiting is so top notch I doubt we will ever be in a better position than we are now. 

Goo Ducks

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:13 AM, 30Duck said:

Did Drake enter the transfer portal ;)!

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:45 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I sure hope all the turmoil and put downs of MC will not help him leave us.

I’m guessing that MC has no time or interest to troll the message boards, even FD 😏

While I’m sure MC and the coaching staff are not isolated from idle chatter, they all seem pretty focused on the program, and I’ll bet he gets 100x in praise for whatever “we” dish out his way. Certainly there is critique, second-guessing of play calling, (a first time ? booing), and rumor-making comments about open coaching slots, but all-in-all (in my view) he is respected and supported, and his environment reinforces it.

Who gets to go through life without “life”?

• Thumbs Up 1

As one Duck-Buddy told me the other day...."let me get this right....he can throw a tantrum at the officials for an extended period on Saturday, but the fans who pay his salary cannot let their displeasure with his decisions be known?"

We are not supposed to go to the "booing" topic anymore...but the irony is striking.

Mario Cristobal_247 Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/27/2021 at 1:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

As one Duck-Buddy told me the other day...."let me get this right....he can throw a tantrum at the officials for an extended period on Saturday, but the fans who pay his salary cannot let their displeasure with his decisions be known?"

We are not supposed to go to the "booing" topic anymore...but the irony is striking.

Mario Cristobal_247 Video.jpg

It tells me he heard the booing. That is an admission of sorts. He can take it, but wants to protect players. 

I do think saying something right away, he wants to nip this in the bud. Also, you and I know how important confidence is in sport for optimum execution. Perhaps the boos shake up AB, and we don't need that.

Many great posts on this topic in the thread. Just a few thoughts....

I agree with Durango Jim that MC probably doesn't check the social media boards. Probably cares nothing for these comments. 

I agree with DanLDuck he wants to protect the players. MC truly cares about his players, their families and he sells family to his recruits.

When MC, his staff and players win their 3rd PAC 12 Championship in December 2021, he will care about his salary. The AD and money boosters best consider moving him to $7 million plus. Why? Because other schools who want top 10 recruiting classes and championships will pay that and more.

Just guessing that SC may come calling for JS at our little brother rival. Boy he is under paid...he won't be undervalued.  Results matter!