kirklandduck

Watching Other FBS Games This Week: Thoughts?

Watching Colorado/NDSU right now. Buffs struggling hard (down 20-17 in the 3rd).

Cam Rising is showing his old form,  4 TDs so far for Utah.

• Wow 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:27 PM, kirklandduck said:

Cam Rising is showing his old form,  4 TDs so far for Utah.

Make that 5 TDs in just 15 pass attempts. It's only the 2nd quarter so far.

Colorado squeaks out a win against NDSU, Hunter is pretty amazing, it does help when he's able to throw his defender to the floor without a call, commentators openly taking about him manhandling his defender but of course not calling out that it's offensive PI since of course you have to hype up Colorado.  

They'll lose to Nebraska and Colorado St. I think, O-line isn't improved by much, defense while a little better is still below average.

• Thumbs Up 1

Minnesota leading a snooze fest over North Carolina 14-13 going into the 4th.

North Dakota State ends up on the five yard line on the final play? If the Bison had one more play…they could have beat the ‘Buffs?

Whew!

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/29/2024 at 8:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

North Dakota State ends up on the five yard line on the final play? If the Bison had one more play…they could have beat the ‘Buffs?

Whew!

Ohhhh, wow, I turned it to the Minnesota-NC game after the Buffs got a first down with about a 1:40 or so left.  They reeeealllly squeaked one out it sounds like!

On 8/29/2024 at 9:29 PM, spartan2785 said:

Ohhhh, wow, I turned it to the Minnesota-NC game after the Buffs got a first down with about a 1:40 or so left.  They reeeealllly squeaked one out it sounds like!

I saw the same struggles against Colorado State last season, Colorado has improved minimally, if at all. Teams like Utah are going to boat race them.

Minnesota fit the classic B1G profile...a strong, great-pursuing defense, with a very unskilled offense.  Receivers who were slow, and could not get open, with limited passing skills by the QB. NC won 19-17.

North Carolina Tar Heels win at Minnesota Gophers 17-19 - The Daily Gopher

Mr. FishDuck

While I was very impressed with Hunter and Sanders QB, I was very unimpressed with the team.  Kinda worried for the health of Hunter this season.  He is an outstanding player, maybe the best player in the Nation, but it’s going to be extremely tough to play that many snaps all season.  I would hate to see this type of play hurt his career, it would be a terrible shame.  

NC State didn’t look great either.  Maybe some of that is bc it’s the first game?

Edited by SoGaDawg

On 8/29/2024 at 10:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Whew!

So, back to the thread earlier this week, “they just ran out of time”? 

• Haha 1

I watched Western Carolina take it to NC State for a couple of quarters before running out of steam. The ACC is going to be in rough shape this season if Mario doesn’t beat the Gators tomorrow. He may be their only hope of a decent team. We all know Clemson will get steamrolled tomorrow.

On 8/30/2024 at 5:55 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

We all know Clemson will get steamrolled tomorrow.

But Clemson could still be good. 

Many of these teams could still be good but maybe not national championship good. 

For Clemson they'll need to show they can compete even if they get beat. Losing to Georgia in game one isn't a death sentence. Especially not in the era of a 12 team playoff. 

On 8/30/2024 at 2:41 PM, David Marsh said:

But Clemson could still be good. 

Many of these teams could still be good but maybe not national championship good. 

For Clemson they'll need to show they can compete even if they get beat. Losing to Georgia in game one isn't a death sentence. Especially not in the era of a 12 team playoff. 

I have a feeling this will be a 3+ TD win for Kirby. In fact, I would be surprised if Clemson scores 14 points. I really like Dabo, but he loves to tout his past record. Just ask Tyler from Spartanburg. CFB is a “What have you done for me lately” business and Kirby is constantly improving. You don’t see him turn his nose up at the transfer portal like Dabo does.

If anybody is wondering who Tyler from Spartanburg is, he’s a dude who called into Dabo’s radio show and criticized his 4-4 record last year after week 8. Dabo went on to chastise him for being part of the problem because he expected too much from the future instead of appreciating the past. 

Tyler from Spartanburg is also a cult hero because Clemson rattled off 5 straight wins after his criticism.

• Thumbs Up 1

Watching a bit of Wisconsin and Western Michigan. It's 21-14 with 8 minutes left in the 4th. Jeezy Pete's so far I'm not impressed with any B10 offense I've seen this week.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wanted The Tree to beat TCU -close but no cigar. Both teams need better defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope nobody took Aiden Chiles’ advice and picked the over for MSU/FAU.

After the Gophers kicker booted the game vs UNC on Thursday, the B1G needs Penn State to come through today in Morgantown.

J. Smith and Sparty overcame a horrendous coaching decision and the Badgers finally took down W. Michigan. These would have been embarrassing losses. 

The 1st B1G vs SEC game is SC vs LSU. Which bad defense has improved from 2023? Was Miller Moss's Holiday performance an outlier? Will LSU QB Nussmeier be able to come close to Heisman winner Daniels's 2023 performance? Is there a Tiger WR or two who can replace the talent that matriculated to the League? 

Michigan will be a home underdog to Texas. Ditto Wisconsin vs Bama. The B1G needs to win one of these three games; these games are remembered in December. 

MASH the Potato Pickers!

On 8/31/2024 at 11:38 AM, Jon Joseph said:

After the Gophers kicker booted the game vs UNC on Thursday, the B1G needs Penn State to come through today in Morgantown.

It feels strange to be rooting for B1G schools in OOC games. 

[I still will not root for those mutts up north, no matter what…]

• Thumbs Up 1

Clemson is looking good against Georgia through one quarter. 

I don't think it will last but this might be the best Clemson team in years. 

On 8/31/2024 at 6:06 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I wanted The Tree to beat TCU -close but no cigar. Both teams need better defense.

Wish Stanford and Cal were added to the B1G to form a West Coast Pod. Maybe they will be, if ND decides to join, and they are willing to depart with Cal…

On 8/31/2024 at 9:43 AM, OregonDucks said:

It feels strange to be rooting for B1G schools in OOC games. 

[I still will not root for those mutts up north, no matter what…]

I agree... 

I don't feel like I know the new conference yet. And I probably won't feel like I know it for a season or two. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My biggest take so far is the B1G is still mostly caveman football. Wisconsin is supposed to be some trap game? Only if it’s a blizzard and our 2 deep on offense have the flu.

Oh, and CU will be lucky to win 4 games.

On 8/31/2024 at 12:09 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Wisconsin is supposed to be some trap game? Only if it’s a blizzard and our 2 deep on offense have the flu.

Road games in college football are tough especially later in the season.

”Fear no one, respect everyone.”

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2024 at 10:13 AM, OregonDucks said:

Road games in college football are tough especially later in the season.

”Fear no one, respect everyone.”

No doubt, good thing I’m not a player!

I think Wisconsin is going to struggle this year. They brought in an air raid guy they still aren’t designed for, and a questionable transfer QB that couldn’t cut it in the ACC. They’re in conflict with their nature, big mistake IMO.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

The Georgia-Clemson game is boring. Some will say that it’s elite defenses and that may be true.

However, I prefer a mix of good offense and defense. The Oregon-Washington games last year were the perfect example (even if Oregon came out on the wrong side) - elite QB play w/ some key stops on D.  

Edited by OregonDucks

Wisconsin added a $5.5 million field heating system at Camp Randall in the off season.  Said it wasn't necessarily for November games, but rather in the event they host Playoff games in December.

WWW.JSONLINE.COM

With an eye toward December football in the years ahead, the Wisconsin football program has begun installing a heated field surface.

On 8/31/2024 at 10:43 AM, OregonDucks said:

The Georgia-Clemson game is boring. Some will say that it’s elite defenses and that may be true.

However, I prefer a mix of good offense and defense. The Oregon-Washington games last year were the perfect example (even if Oregon came out on the wrong side) - elite QB play and some key stops on D.  

If anything it's making Georgia look mortal. 

Clemson's offense hasn't been good but we'll see just how good in the coming weeks. 

It's taken a long time for Georgia to break through this game. It's going to be an interesting year. 

Apparently, Georgia is missing their top two running backs. Given that, I think they look as lethal as ever

Dabo is officially on the “Hot Seat”.

Kirby's defense is impressive as usual.

On 8/30/2024 at 1:42 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I have a feeling this will be a 3+ TD win for Kirby. In fact, I would be surprised if Clemson scores 14 points.

Wow... great call on this one. 

I think Georgia might be decent this year 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

At least Dan got 6 points against UGA as a rookie head coach.

On 8/31/2024 at 11:28 AM, CountryProf said:

Apparently, Georgia is missing their top two running backs. Given that, I think they look as lethal as ever

As you point out, they still look lethal. And even with their top 2 RBs out, their rushing game still looks amazing. 165 yards - Avg 6.3 per carry - 7 guys getting a touch. 

I'm not sure Geogia has 2nd & 3rd string players. I think they just have "other studs."

Edited by Desert Duck

On 8/31/2024 at 3:17 PM, Desert Duck said:

Wow... great call on this one. 

I think Georgia might be decent this year 😉

This prediction had more to do with Dabo than UGA. The Dawgs will always be good because Kirby is willing to consistently improve. Dabo refuses to embrace the portal, so he’s going to get left behind. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2024 at 1:28 PM, CountryProf said:

I turned the game off in the first half but the final score indicates an impressive victory against a talented team. Georgia should be ranked #1 until someone knocks them off.  Respect.

• Thanks 1

It looks like it’s up to Mario to save the ACC. VT lost to Vandy.

Watching the Miami game out of morbid curiosity. At least Cam McCormack scored the opening TD, I'll always root for him.

I find seeing Quinn Ewers in a soda commercial very disconcerting. 

If I was an OU fan, while I like the final score last night, I'd be a bit concerned about only converting 1-12 third downs.

Against a real team that doesn't turnover the ball 6 times, it will be interesting to see how they do.

Who's that coming down the track? It's a mean machine in red and black that blew out Dabo without its best running back!

UGA looked AWESOME!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/31/2024 at 1:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Who's that coming down the track? It's a mean machine in red and black that blew out Dabo without its best running back!

UGA looked AWESOME!

Today, Georgia momentarily gave me PTSD flashbacks to a 49-3 day not that long ago. 

• Oh no! 1

Boise State in a dog fight right now with Georgia Southern…

• Yikes! 1

Hurricane Warning! Oh no, MariO.

Judd Fisch to Florida?

On 8/31/2024 at 4:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Hurricane Warning! Oh no, MariO.

Judd Fisch to Florida?

Mari0 will find a way to mess it up again some time this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Penn State looked really good as did Tennessee.

Wisconsin is poorly coached, and just not a great team. And I don't buy that it's just the first game, something is off.

Clemson hasn't scored a touchdown against Georgia in 30 tries, and they finally threw in the towel in the second half.

The eye test says the gap between the top 10 teams and 11-20 teams is wider than ever thanks to NIL. I thought that expanding the playoffs might help level the playing field in the top 20, but NIL cash is way more important than sticking with a team to have a special season. It is what it is.

USuC’s defense is showing improvement. Their offense is what you would expect. Braden Swinson from LSU is a former Duck. He isn’t doing too bad other than his lack of tackling skills.

On 9/1/2024 at 7:02 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

USuC’s defense is showing improvement. Their offense is what you would expect. Braden Swinson from LSU is a former Duck. He isn’t doing too bad other than his lack of tackling skills.

USC just beat LSU we just beat Idaho. The Ducks have a way to go to be just good.

On 8/31/2024 at 6:01 PM, Solar said:

Penn State looked really good as did Tennessee.

Wisconsin is poorly coached, and just not a great team. And I don't buy that it's just the first game, something is off.

Clemson hasn't scored a touchdown against Georgia in 30 tries, and they finally threw in the towel in the second half.

The eye test says the gap between the top 10 teams and 11-20 teams is wider than ever thanks to NIL. I thought that expanding the playoffs might help level the playing field in the top 20, but NIL cash is way more important than sticking with a team to have a special season. It is what it is.

Does anyone ever watch Josh Pate?  I'm interested in what people think of his views.  Thought he was on point about the overall scene.

I recommend checking him out.