Desert Duck

What is YOUR Mario Cristobal Philosophy?

I texted the following to my adult sons earlier today:

"So... #19 Miami plays @ unranked Florida today at 12:30 (on ABC).

Guys - I'm having a bit of a personal dilemma as I'm wondering if the following makes me a very small and/or spiteful person: I 100% root for Mario & Miami to lose every game he coaches.

His team winning or losing has absolutely no impact whatsoever on my life. But I just find such joy every time he loses. His losing is only made better when he makes decisions that directly cause his team to lose. 

Thus, the dilemma and the question: Is this wrong?

This may be an abstruse philosophical question for the ages 😉 . Or, perhaps, I am just simply a spiteful man. 

Regardless, GO DUCKS!"

• Haha 1

As a follow up, since the PIG2 don’t wish their former players well, I find myself wanting to see Martinez and Ward light it up. Not to mention, if Florida stinks it up, UW might lose their coach again. 

The petty wars are tough in this one.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Not really a fan of Cristobal. However, I want to see Miami lose for different reasons. John Ruiz , Miami’s biggest booster and NIL king, the company he runs lost over $200 million last year, and will probably go out of business.

Just want to see the team and coach he bought lose. 

There should be more to winning than just money. 

Btw…that could be a drop in a bucket to what Phil Knight may have lost over the last few years based on Nike’s precipitous drop share price. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2024 at 12:58 PM, Drake said:

Not really a fan of Cristobal. However, I want to see Miami lose for different reasons. John Ruiz , Miami’s biggest booster and NIL king, the company he runs lost over $200 million last year, and will probably go out of business.

Just want to see the team and coach he bought lose. 

There should be more to winning than just money. 

Btw…that could be a drop in a bucket to what Phil Knight may have lost over the last few years based on Nike’s precipitous drop share price. 

I'm sure Nike as a business is more bullet proof than whatever Ruiz is in.

I want to see the streak of former Oregon coaches getting fired in their next  job continue. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/31/2024 at 12:47 PM, Desert Duck said:

Or, perhaps, I am just simply a spiteful man. 

A man after my own heart!

My thoughts about the Hurricanes?

Miami Love.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

It is nice to see what we all thought was going to happen, happen. Do I take great joy in it, no because Mario is a pretty good guy, just in over his head. I take great joy in Miami losing, not so much MariØ.

Washington, USC and every coach they ever have, yes, much shadenfreude, actually never enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want Cristobal to win today. 

Because that starts to open the door to Florida considering a new head coach..and hopefully that's Jedd Fisch which makes Washington sad. 

Otherwise I'm happy Cristobal left Oregon because it was a nice pay day for the Ducks and we got San Freaking Lanning. We came out big in that arrangement. 

So today I'm rooting for Husky tears... Even if it's the long game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok... This was just reported from the sideline during the game. 

Mario Cristobal said they need to "eliminate the stupid stuff... Substitutions problems and burning timeouts" 

That's less a players problem a really a coaching problem! Some things just don't change. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/31/2024 at 2:37 PM, David Marsh said:

I want Cristobal to win today. 

Because that starts to open the door to Florida considering a new head coach...and hopefully that's Jedd Fisch which makes Washington sad. 

OK...now THIS makes the result as "good-or-good."  Florida wins and Mario loses-good. Miami wins and Florida loses...and perhaps changes coaches? Good!

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/31/2024 at 3:41 PM, David Marsh said:

Mario Cristobal said they need to "eliminate the stupid stuff... Substitutions problems and burning timeouts" 

That's less a players problem a really a coaching problem! Some things just don't change. 

This is what made me start to dislike him. He blames everyone else, and then after all that, then says, “That’s on me as head coach.” (see the Least Favorite Cliche topic, LOL)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/31/2024 at 1:47 PM, Desert Duck said:

I texted the following to my adult sons earlier today:

"So... #19 Miami plays @ unranked Florida today at 12:30 (on ABC).

Guys - I'm having a bit of a personal dilemma as I'm wondering if the following makes me a very small and/or spiteful person: I 100% root for Mario & Miami to lose every game he coaches.

His team winning or losing has absolutely no impact whatsoever on my life. But I just find such joy every time he loses. His losing is only made better when he makes decisions that directly cause his team to lose. 

Thus, the dilemma and the question: Is this wrong?

This may be an abstruse philosophical question for the ages 😉 . Or, perhaps, I am just simply a spiteful man. 

Regardless, GO DUCKS!"

My philosophy is:

- Never spell his name with “o”s: Mari Cristbal

- Always root against him and his team

- Watch every MC post game press conference after an unthinkable loss and smile at his perma-scowl and his short, petty responses

- Erase the word “physicality” from the dictionary since Mari Cristbal has rendered it meaningless.

- Take a shower every time MC calls a time out before the first play of the 1st or 3rd quarter; it’s so wrong it makes me feel dirty.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Watching the U v Fla game, there appears to be a new savior in Miami and his name is Cam Ward. He might very well be able to overcome the coaching deficits and get his team into the playoffs, particularly given the weaknesses exposed at Clemson and FSU.

On another note, tOSU and the Chipster's offense underwhelmed until the 3rd qtr. The O-line took it's sweet time putting things together. The defense does look good. Really looking forward to Autzen on Oct 12th. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/31/2024 at 2:41 PM, David Marsh said:

I will never-ever forget the first play that he called as Oregon's head coach.

San Antonio Bowl, and BEFORE the game had even started, dude calls a time out. 

Both of my sons turned to me and in unison grunted, "Uh-Oh."

Truer grunting had never been spoken. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 3

There are certain programs that are universally loathed, not because of a single player or coach or booster. But when you see that logo it brings out a feeling across the globe.

The "U" is one of those brands. It's so simple but when you see it you know some blowhard isn't too far away with their goofy yell and hand signal. Luckily Miami has sucked for two decades, but rest assured the moment they become relevant again you'll understand Mario is only part of the reason you dislike them.

I remember the 2001 season where Oregon went on a tear but got disrespected by everyone. Apparently the Ducks wouldn't be able to handle the Canes or Huskers no matter what.

On 8/31/2024 at 4:21 PM, Duckley Palace said:

I remember the 2001 season where Oregon went on a tear but got disrespected by everyone. Apparently the Ducks wouldn't be able to handle the Canes or Huskers no matter what.

Yeah... we got so screwed on that. While Nebraska went on to be a pathetic joke in that game and got throttled.

My Cristobal philosophy is he is a well meaning guy for the most part, and was part of turning us around, so I don't want to get too mad at him, but his Achilles heel is he is stubborn as a mule. The fact he has no inner circle to confide in is by choice and because of that, all he'll ever do is sniff success from time to time.

At the end of the day he is home in Miami and irrelevant to us.

On 8/31/2024 at 4:31 PM, Desert Duck said:

Yeah... we got so screwed on that. While Nebraska went on to be a pathetic joke in that game and got throttled.

We lost by seven to Stanford but won out and actually won a pretty decent Pac-10. Then went on and beat Colorado soundly. The same Colorado that pounded Nebraska and beat Texas just prior to the bowl game.

Maybe Miami was too good , but it sucks that we didn't even get a chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont get how yall hated Cristobal..wanted him gone and he leaves, annnnd everyone is mad that he left? 

Lol.. make it make sense

"Prevent Offense" was not in effect against Florida, who might not be very good, but Miami looked sharp and are most likely the best of the ACC. I can't work up a real hate for Mario, though it's believed indifference is actually a more severe feeling.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/1/2024 at 2:53 PM, Lrod said:

I dont get how yall hated Cristobal..wanted him gone and he leaves, annnnd everyone is mad that he left? 

Lol.. make it make sense

I'm just a very small and spiteful man. 

Hopefully, I can one day do better. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 6:31 PM, Desert Duck said:

I'm just a very small and spiteful man. 

Hopefully, I can one day do better. 

Well, I just tell them up-front...."I Never Said I Was Noble."

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck