FishDuck Article

The 2024 Ducks Can Learn from 2014’s Struggles

The 2024 Ducks have survived, but have failed to reach their full potential this season. This is in large part due to an offensive line cobbled together, which has killed offensive production. The defense has been forced to play far more snaps than they should in Dan Lanning’s system, which assumes the offense can sustain drives and score points. It ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The 2024 Ducks have survived, but have failed to reach their full potential this season. This is in large part due to an offensive line cobbled...
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article. Lots of similarities between the two teams. Even dropping the ball before crossing the goal line. I remember Byron Marshall did it against SDSU in the opener and then almost did it again in the NC game. The one against SDSU was ruled a touchback while the TD against Ohio State was upheld.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good comparison David.

"They do have one important thing working in their favor right now: time."

As a recent podcast asked, "time to get right, or time to panic"?

I'm in ""concerned" mode.  Every team is an injury or two away from panic.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2024 at 6:09 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Great article. Lots of similarities between the two teams. Even dropping the ball before crossing the goal line. I remember Byron Marshall did it against SDSU in the opener and then almost did it again in the NC game. The one against SDSU was ruled a touchback while the TD against Ohio State was upheld.

I love how Limar had the piece of mind to pick that ball up in the end zone last Saturday. 

Because I saw the touchdown run and I immediately knew that he wasn't holding that ball long enough across the barrier. 

I'm happy it counted as a touchdown and I think it's a great lesson for the team in both a positive and negative way. Positive in that it counted a d a touchdown because Limar picked the ball up and finished the play. 

Negative because for all that work Whittington didn't (or shouldn't) get a touchdown on his stat sheet. 

• Applause 1

Thanks, David. 

In 2024, being B1G and with a 12-team PO with 7 at-large spots, one loss, if not a bad loss, like the Domers just suffered, does not put a team on life support. 

A loss in Corvallis would be a bad loss. You do not want to lose to G5 team and that is what OSU is and will be in the minds of PO Committee members. If it's any solace to date, Idaho State is Portland State East. San Diego State even before the loss to OSU was ranked in the 90s. In college basketball both of the Beavers wins are Quad 4 wins. The Ducks win over Boise, ranked 27 in the latest AP Poll is a Quad 2 win at worst and will probably be a Quad 1 win at season's end. 

The Ducks would have put the same whipping on Idaho State as it gave to Portland State last season. Boise would likely defeat SDS by two or three more TDs than the Beavers. I'm not suggesting that Saturday in Corvallis will be an Easy Day, but the Ducks have by far the superior roster, Boise's QB started for Idaho last season, Gabe was the 1st team All-B12 QB, and will not take OSU for granted.

As you noted, David, get by OSU and what looked to be a too-early Idle Week is coming at the right time to give the transfers more practice time with the holdovers and get dinged OL guys healthy. 

BLAST THE BEAVERS!

Nice article David and pretty much exactly what I remember of that year.

I speculate that had Bedford and Iuli not been injured the OL still would have struggled but not anywhere near as bad as it is right now.  It would have been adequate but suffering from growing pains at the center position...hopefully we see some growth this weekend.

Okay, so Gabriel needs to catch a TD pass from Whittington and all will be right. Thinking about this team being the best Ducks team ever, which is what all the pre-season hype said, doesn't seem likely now. But take care of the Beavs, the Bye comes at the perfect time. Then it's Chip's old team, Jonathan's new team, then Ohio State at Oregon in the Game of the Year!!!!

Better O-line play, a few long balls and the season becomes much brighter. I still think the wide receiver weapons are still the magic sauce we haven't seen laid out on anyone yet, but soon.

Once DG hooks up with a few longer balls all will be good. I have a feeling the beavs may be seeing the backside of our receivers heading to the end zone this weekend! That will be a sight for sore eyes!

Kudos to David for pointing out the 2024 parallels with the 2014 season. While I remember that home loss to the Wildcats well, I had forgotten how much the injury riddled O-line was cobbled together for that game. Once the injuries subsided and cohesiveness formed, the OL played as an effective unit to keep Mariota upright and win games.

As much as I would like to see Bedford return to the lineup this week, getting effective mistake free play from an interior O-line of Harper, Pancho and Strother should be enough to beat the Beavs at the point of attack. 

That's a nice uplifting comparison, David.    So it seems like we are doomed to lose the Civil War, because it's the game before the bye, followed by UCLA?  ☹️

On 9/12/2024 at 10:32 AM, DuckFan93 said:

That's a nice uplifting comparison, David.    So it seems like we are doomed to lose the Civil War, because it's the game before the bye, followed by UCLA?  ☹️

Though there are fun parallels this is still a completely different team. 

The timeline this time around is off by about two weeks. We also have a more talented team from top to bottom than we did in 2014, just need that talent to all come together. I do think our defense is better than it was in 2014 even with those big names and NFL all stars in large part because the scheme we have today is better and the roster is deeper. 

It is also important to remember that Arizona won the Pac-12 South, and was the consensus no. 2 team in the Pac-12, in 2014. They were a quality team that in the rematch with Oregon got blasted. 

I think Boise State is more akin to 2014 Arizona than Oregon State is to 2014 Arizona. That's not to say that Oregon State is going to be a pushover, they'll fight. However, I do feel that our timeline and depth this year is different enough that it may prove to our advantage. For instance it is possible we might see Bedford enter the lineup on Saturday, I think there is a good chance they hold him back and give him two more weeks to heal up, but it's possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Great article David...it's been a decade already? 

Canzano actually provided some humor before picking Oregon to win Saturday by six points...

"The Ducks have been clunky on the field this season but are 2-0. The No. 3 team in the AP Poll won the opener in Week 1 and, then, dropped to No. 7. Then, UO won again in Week 2 and dropped to No. 9. Oregon is maybe three more victories from playing its way out of the AP Top 25."

Oregon Poster, Forum Only.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/12/2024 at 12:30 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Great article David...it's been a decade already? 

Canzano actually provided some humor before picking Oregon to win Saturday by six points...

"The Ducks have been clunky on the field this season but are 2-0. The No. 3 team in the AP Poll won the opener in Week 1 and, then, dropped to No. 7. Then, UO won again in Week 2 and dropped to No. 9. Oregon is maybe three more victories from playing its way out of the AP Top 25."

Oregon Poster, Forum Only.jpg

If we win by double digits we start rolling the other way! 

I think this might be the week we see our real Ducks for the first time this season.