Smith72

Ducks - Portal Winners Or Victims?

In my opinion the Ducks are winners.

WWW.SI.COM

How are the Oregon Ducks and Oregon coach Dan Lanning best using the transfer portal? The transfer portal: it seems like everyday in the...

They will continue to be winners because of the evaluation our coaches do to get transfers who fit the culture Dan Lanning is building.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Winners. 

We lost very very few players we actually want to keep. 

Sure some leave and get significantly better away from Oregon but here they wouldn't be starters. There are only a couple exceptions. 

Smitty, thanks so much for this timely post. 

"Playing roulette." Are you spinning the wheel more with a recruit who has not played against college competition or by bringing in a player who has played college ball? 

Anthony Brown? Who on the roster would have started over Anthony? Anthony went on to the NFL. If Anthony wasn't all that in college; well, under Mario, Justin Herbert didn't light it up in college.

FSU. Like the NFL, some portal-free agents will be instant upgrades to a roster, while others will not.  Mike Norvell pushed all of the right transfer buttons in 2023. In 2024, Norvell, after losing a ton of talent to the NFL, brought in a QB, DJU, who had mixed results at Clemson and Oregon State, and three D-lineman who were supposed to light it up. DJU has played like DJU. The DL guys have not worked well together. This equals 0-3 for a team ranked in the top 10 in the preseason.

Dan Lanning will have to deal with a lot of turnover next season. I trust Dan and his assistants to coach up the quality recruits he has brought to Eugene and bring in portal players who will blend in and help the cause.

As Charles has noted, the Bamas of the world deal with laudatory preseason press every season.  Oregon was preseason touted as much as any team in the country this off-season. I believe Dan and the other coaches, and the players will be better prepared to deal with what one of Dan's mentors, Nick Saban, called 'rat poison'.  

Roster management in college football today is much more difficult than in the NFL where collective bargaining allows for a salary cap and free-agent regulation. Until college football has NFL-like 'guard rails' it will take a savvy blend of recruiting and portal picking to build a championship roster. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The writer had a deadline, and not topic, thus she tried to create something that was not there.  If you look at our starters on defense....where would we be without the portal?

And with the views from behind the Oregon offense--how Gabriel was throwing to small windows with quite the zip....where would we be without him?  Oh yeah...all three WRs who are killing it right now, (Tez, Holden & Stewart) are transfers, as we watch this offense explode through the season.

Gabriel in Corvallis_Forum Only.jpg

Lanning has absolutely killed-it in the portal beyond what

I could have imagined.  The writer is being silly...

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

The portal is a recruiting tool. Some coaches are better at using it than others. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hilarious.

Some schools are definitely more in the victim spectrum, definitely not OBD.

What seems to be becoming clear though, transfers that still have 2-3 years left are ideal, but you don’t say no to a one year guy if they’re really good and a fit.

We transfer in guys like the NFL picks up draft picks. You evaluate their college play and decide if they are going to be a good fit in the positions you need.

The NFL trades for players and drafts college kids. College football is just doing what the NFL has done for a long time.

Some kids are deciding to transfer rather than go into the NFL. That is the key, find players who still want to develop their craft and go to college. Nix could have gone pro, decided to give it another year at his transfer location.

Much like in the NFL some picks are busts, some turn into GOAT.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I agree that a program cannot build a sustainable program through the transfer portal alone, it is an invaluable tool to plug holes in a roster for a program to have the opportunity to compete for a birth in the playoffs every season.

Top programs will continue to rely primarily on high school recruiting, developing talent and retaining players. However, there will be holes in a roster for a multitude of reasons - high school players not developing as expected, unexpected transfers to other programs, career or season ending injuries, etc. A coach would be irresponsible to his team, if he did not try to address those gaps by bringing in the best possible players to compete.

Identifying talent through the portal is less risky than high school recruiting, IMHO, because the players are older/more mature and you have tape and seen how they perform against college level competition. Yes, you have to do your due diligence to make sure that the players are a good culture fit and can play in your system but you also have to do this for high school players and I have complete faith in Coach Lanning and staff to do this work. While Oregon has had success with transfer QBs, given how complicated it is to learn a new playbook, Oregon appears to be trying to develop the position long term in-house with Dante Moore's transfer (he'll have 3 years to play at Oregon, if I'm not mistaken) and high school QB recruits.  

Another positive that the author doesn't mention is the benefit to the transfer players. It's great that players like Noah Whittington and Tez Johnson are able to transfer from smaller programs and show that they have the ability to succeed at the highest levels of college football, or players like Bo Nix, Dante Moore and Traeshon Holden to get an opportunity for a fresh start.

P.S. - Florida State is struggling because they have DJU as their QB. Anyone who knows anything about football and have seen him play over the past few years could have seen this coming.  I bet Clemson is laughing their butts off...

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

And the benefit to the players who get to start elsewhere instead of playing sporadically.  Examples are those in the thread about the four who transferred from Oregon to UCLA and now are starting. They would not be at Oregon, so it benefits the players transferring down, as well as transferring up.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/19/2024 at 8:24 AM, Jon Joseph said:

DJU has played like DJU

More like DJJuco.

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2024 at 12:20 PM, OregonDucks said:

While I agree that a program cannot build a sustainable program through the transfer portal alone, it is an invaluable tool to plug holes in a roster for a program to have the opportunity to compete for a birth in the playoffs every season.

Top programs will continue to rely primarily on high school recruiting, developing talent and retaining players. However, there will be holes in a roster for a multitude of reasons - high school players not developing as expected, unexpected transfers to other programs, career or season ending injuries, etc. A coach would be irresponsible to his team, if he did not try to address those gaps by bringing in the best possible players to compete.

Identifying talent through the portal is less risky than high school recruiting, IMHO, because the players are older/more mature and you have tape and seen how they perform against college level competition. Yes, you have to do your due diligence to make sure that the players are a good culture fit and can play in your system but you also have to do this for high school players and I have complete faith in Coach Lanning and staff to do this work. While Oregon has had success with transfer QBs, given how complicated it is to learn a new playbook, Oregon appears to be trying to develop the position long term in-house with Dante Moore's transfer (he'll have 3 years to play at Oregon, if I'm not mistaken) and high school QB recruits.  

Another positive that the author doesn't mention is the benefit to the transfer players. It's great that players like Noah Whittington and Tez Johnson are able to transfer from smaller programs and show that they have the ability to succeed at the highest levels of college football, or players like Bo Nix, Dante Moore and Traeshon Holden to get an opportunity for a fresh start.

P.S. - Florida State is struggling because they have DJU as their QB. Anyone who knows anything about football and have seen him play over the past few years could have seen this coming.  I bet Clemson is laughing their butts off...

Dante will be NFL-eligible after the 2025 season. I'm torn. In a way, I hope he plays well enough in 2025 to earn a 1st round-draft grade. But if he does. He Gone!

• Applause 1

On 9/19/2024 at 2:15 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Dante will be NFL-eligible after the 2025 season. I'm torn. In a way, I hope he plays well enough in 2025 to earn a 1st round-draft grade. But if he does. He Gone!

Maybe but we've seen a lot of QBs with extremely high draft stock come back for their senior seasons and NIL helps even more now.

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Applause 1

On 9/19/2024 at 12:15 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Dante will be NFL-eligible after the 2025 season. I'm torn. In a way, I hope he plays well enough in 2025 to earn a 1st round-draft grade. But if he does. He Gone

I don't think that's a bad deal.  If he plays to his potential, and scouts believe he will eventually start in the NFL, that means his performance will be top shelf.

In addition,  the talent behind him ( talk about great depth) will get to play that much sooner.  We have massive QB talent right now.  Best to develop DM to NFL caliber this year, so he performs next year.  It's clear Stein gets the most out of his QBs.  

And if Stein stays...whew.  

I hope DL is scouring for OC talent just in case 

• Applause 1