FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: UCLA Takeaways

Alright, this game went about as expected — but there’s a lot to work on, too. Aside from a handful of plays, Oregon had the Bruins on their heels from the snap, and Dillon Gabriel led a nearly-unstoppable offensive attack. There also were avoidable mistakes, and sloppy penalties that put the Ducks in some bad spots. Here are some observations ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Alright, this game went about as expected — but there’s a lot to work on, too. Aside from a handful of plays, Oregon had the Bruins on their heels from the snap…

• Thumbs Up 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Alex, it was great to have your feedback from the Rose Bowl pressbox! I think most Oregon fans are still wrestling with how we feel about it. We are always grateful for a win, but...

Mr. FishDuck

Alex thank you for sharing your observations from the game. I agree with all your points.

Offense:

DG and the Duck Offense played a near flawless first half. The Bruin Defense was kept off balance and the Ducks scored at will. The pick six took some of the bloom off the rose.

In the 2nd half, penalties and dropped passes stopped the offense from building momentum and running up the score.

However, the O line gave up ZERO sacks and blocked very well. This showed me that they are working very hard at gelling and improving.

DEFENSE:

Jordan Burch came to play and set the tone for the defense. Holding UCLA to under 180 total yards gets the D an A plus in my book.

The Bruins never really threatened to score a TD or gain momentum. 2 interceptions were icing on the cake.

My MVP is the defense.

Go Ducks.......

Come home and handle JS and the Spartans.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm afraid that forever & ever, 3rd & long will be exactly where an Oregon opponent will want to be. That situation did get better as the game went along, and I agree with HTBAD that the D was the MVP of the night, allowing only one touchdown, and the other Bruins 6 was assisted by a true slipup between Holden and Gabriel. & Johnson.

Great to hear, Alex that the Ducks are embracing their role as a title contender, vital to get wins on the road.

On 9/29/2024 at 6:08 AM, 30Duck said:

I agree with HTBAD that the D was the MVP of the night, allowing only one touchdown, and the other Bruins 6 was assisted by a true slipup between Holden and Gabriel. & Johnson.

Actually, Oregon's D gave up 0 touchdowns last night. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Actually, Desert Duck, you are absolutely right!

Loved the stiff arm from Jordan James, and want to see more of that. Just another player rising up as the season progresses, along with...

Agree Traeshon is a force and would love to see him given more 50/50 balls, thinking he would win 95% of them. If he is in single coverage, throw him the ball!

Also agree it was a coming out party for Burch and just in time for the meat of the season. Every team is going to have a hard time with JB if he keeps playing like that.

As far as Ferguson, that was a concussion and hope he recovers from that soon. Also don't want to see him get another anytime soon. I hate seeing anyone laying like that on the field for any amount of time.

I also think our offense needs a little more magic from the coaches and execution as the season progresses. I expect to see this as the weapons are there and Gabriel is the real deal. Charles's 40 point expectation isn't too much.

We haven't peaked and I look forward to seeing where that peak will be!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/29/2024 at 8:08 AM, 30Duck said:

I'm afraid that forever & ever, 3rd & long will be exactly where an Oregon opponent will want to be.

It seemed as though UCLA was successfully picking on a certain CB. Wonder if we’ll see some of the other talented CBs on the roster given more playing time. 

On 9/29/2024 at 9:36 AM, Haywarduck said:

As far as Ferguson, that was a concussion and hope he recovers from that soon. Also don't want to see him get another anytime soon.

I would be surprised if Ferguson plays against Michigan State, especially with the short week. 

One really positive improvement I saw was the defense setting the edges as a priority, which was something they really needed to clean up in prior games.

Sure UCLA's run game sucks, but we didn't let them bounce outside at all when they tried, which prevented any big run plays.

UCLA rushed for -1 yard in the first half.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really appreciate the takeaways, because I fell asleep somewhere in the first half, woke up at half time, and went to bed. Fie on late start times. Nice to read the article and get a better idea of what happened.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks played nearly a perfect 1st half and were one throw away from going up 35-3.  The defense played extremely well and I'm glad to see the defensive line finally wreck havoc in the backfield.   

I'm at a loss for what happened in the 2nd half but the Ducks will need to put together a complete game against Ohio State in 2 weeks; otherwise, that game could get ugly.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not talking about blocking improvement needed on the OLine is the best part. Could have gotten   A grade if  they clean up the procedure penalties in red zone.  

Receiving  talent  can step up more, too many dropped passes (including TEs here mainly Herbert).

Besides James, need another RB to be productive.  Noah and Lamar seem pedestrian. Home run threats?

Play calling: still feels Stein is holding back, hopefully intentionally for later like Chip used to do.

DEF: studs.  Reed got picked on, need to see how team adjusts or if injury recovery from others helps soon

I keep asking this: WHAT is going on with Jurrion Dickey? We had been told he’d be good to play in September from the spring game leg injury.  We also heard he was crushing it in camp.  He is crickets now.

Edited by AllOregon
  • Thumbs Up 2

I thought our DUCKS played really well especially considering they were on the road. A defense that just gave up six points and absolutely dominated. Our offense was pretty darn good. Our QB showed us he is human. Perhaps a bit of a let down in the second half might be to the team recognizing that UCLA was providing no threat at all. GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 2

By the way, our narrow win over Boise State may be proving to be a pretty good win at the end of the season. Boise State blasted WSU last night and Austin Jeanty was running wild with 259 yards and four TD's. The Broncos are real.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2024 at 7:00 AM, 30Duck said:

On 9/29/2024 at 7:00 AM, 30Duck said:

Actually, Desert Duck, you are absolutely right!

And you are correct that our D was the game MVP. They did a fabulous job last night!

Edited by Desert Duck