David Marsh

This Intentional Penalty is Next Level Coaching

Interesting enough, with all the Ohio State complaining, there actually was already in the rules a way for Ohio State to have gotten the 5 yards and not lost the 4-5 seconds.

All they had to do was either call a timeout or let the play clock run down to zero.

VII. 3/5 @ B-35. Team B has 12 players in the formation, and no Team B player is attempting to leave the field. The ball is ready for play, both teams are in formation and the snap is imminent.

Quarterback A12, late in the play clock, is struggling to read the defense and (a) calls timeout; or (b) the play clock expires.

RULING: When the deep officials count 12 Team B players, both teams are in formation, no Team B player is attempting to leave the field and the snap is imminent, (a) the crew will offer Team A their time out back and penalize Team B for a substitution foul. Team A 1/10 @ B-30 (b) no foul for delay of game, penalize Team B for a substitution foul. Team A

1/10 @ B-30.

In the more extreme case of a team having no timeouts and not enough time left in the game to allow the play clock to expire, I think the only remedy would be for a savvy QB to quickly count the extra defender and spike the ball, which would be pretty difficult.

So, maybe the existing rules don't cover all situations; but, at least for the Oregon/Ohio State game, tOSU with a timeout, actually apparently had an already in the rules counter.

Edited by AnotherOD

Also in this discussion, it has been mentioned that Lanning's concept goes back at least 30 years in the NFL.

MONKEYWITHAGUNBLOG.COM

RIP, Buddy Ryan, inventor of the "Polish Goal Line" Defense.  Supposedly this play...

Edited by AnotherOD

On 10/16/2024 at 6:12 AM, AnotherOD said:

Interesting enough, with all the Ohio State complaining, there actually was already in the rules a way for Ohio State to have gotten the 5 yards and not lost the 4-5 seconds.

All they had to do was either call a timeout or let the play clock run down to zero.

VII. 3/5 @ B-35. Team B has 12 players in the formation, and no Team B player is attempting to leave the field. The ball is ready for play, both teams are in formation and the snap is imminent.

Quarterback A12, late in the play clock, is struggling to read the defense and (a) calls timeout; or (b) the play clock expires.

RULING: When the deep officials count 12 Team B players, both teams are in formation, no Team B player is attempting to leave the field and the snap is imminent, (a) the crew will offer Team A their time out back and penalize Team B for a substitution foul. Team A 1/10 @ B-30 (b) no foul for delay of game, penalize Team B for a substitution foul. Team A

1/10 @ B-30.

In the more extreme case of a team having no timeouts and not enough time left in the game to allow the play clock to expire, I think the only remedy would be for a savvy QB to quickly count the extra defender and spike the ball, which would be pretty difficult.

So, maybe the existing rules don't cover all situations; but, at least for the Oregon/Ohio State game, tOSU with a timeout, actually apparently had an already in the rules counter.

Absolutely and it took some guts on Lanning to make his play call. 

The thing is that he probably won't be using that particular strategy for some time. The circumstances to make it worth while are rather rare and beyond that everyone is going to keep a close eye on him. 

Gotta Absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Lanning said himself that this particular scenario in college football is an extremely rare situation.  The fact that DL and company not only "knew" of this, but in fact had prepared for this contingency IS a "stroke of genius".  Remember this.  If Ryan Day or tOSU QB had recognized the twelfth man they could have used that to Their advantage.  But, in the heat and pressure of the moment, they did not.

But all that aside.  The media exposure and coverage of this single play, college rules committee "discussions" and potential mid-season rules changes, problems of having two similar, but with significant differences, rules between the NFL and NFL-lite, and the message to recruits/transfers that the staff you're joining under, leaves NO stone unturned in being knowledgeable and competitive at ALL facets of the game; is giving more to Oregon Football than just simply scoring the win against tOSU.

None of this would be happening today without that single, unconventional call, that actually succeeded as intended.  (Wonder what the narrative would be if it had played out....differently?)

Point being.  Dan Lanning Is not only "entrenching" himself in the hearts and minds of Duck fans.  He is becoming an "icon" of the new NFL-lite landscape and masterfully positioning the Oregon Football program for some longterm, consistent, competitive success.

I no longer have ANY Doubts that this Coach and his staff WILL be the ones who bring Oregon Football it's very first, and probably more, National Championship.

But for now.  One game at a time.  Implode the Boilermakers!

Go Ducks!

• Great post! 1

It seems cooler heads are prevailing on the osu boards as some are saying it was within the rules and had it been reversed, they would be singing the praises of Day.

How is it different in Lanning’s intentional use of a penalty to take time off the click vs Chip using a hurry up offense to stop a review that may have changed a possession?

As we know, both are legal.  Is one more or less ethical than the other?

Or, how about the receiver who claims to have made that diving catch when they know the ball hit the ground, but they try and hide that from the refs?

Mark Ingram: “I’ve played a lot of football, like 12 years in the league, three years in college, I played for some great Hall of Fame coaches. And we worked situation after situation after situation. You have a period of situations. Every day after practice, you work on a situation. [I don’t] think that we ever worked that situation. For Dan Lanning to be able to intentionally have that situation ready and his players prepared for it, that’s chess and not checkers.”

Urban Meyer, still wowed by Lanning’s preparation and risk taking this past weekend, made a declaration.

“If that’s true, then for 38 years of my career, I’ve been playing checkers. I’ve never done that. I never even — I’ll be honest, that’s never even crossed my mind.”

Meyer later added: “They are playing chess, because that is a hell of a staff.”

Ron Stone then chimed in: “They might be playing a game that hasn’t even been invented yet.”

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

TM.    New T-shirt logo. "

Dan Lanning Football....   It's CHESS not Checkers

How About, YES! How often has a crafty coaching move changed a rule in mid-season?

AUTZENZOO.COM

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning had a few sneaky play calls during the Ducks' matchup against Ohio State. Is he the best college coach right now?

I cannot recall an in-season rule change EVER in CFB.

Lanning is now living rent free in Beavis, fuskie SUC, Bucknuts and now NCAA's heads.

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2024 at 12:04 PM, MicroBurst61 said:

Gotta Absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Lanning said himself that this particular scenario in college football is an extremely rare situation.  The fact that DL and company not only "knew" of this, but in fact had prepared for this contingency IS a "stroke of genius".  Remember this.  If Ryan Day or tOSU QB had recognized the twelfth man they could have used that to Their advantage.  But, in the heat and pressure of the moment, they did not.

The thing is Ryan Day did recognize the 12th man, but all he did was tell the refs that there was a 12th man on the field. Had he known the rules better he could've called timeout or had his QB run the play clock down to 0. Then, he would've gotten five yards with no time off the play clock.

• Thanks 1