30Duck

Joey Harrington: "Chip's Teams Were Boring!"

Yep, Joey Billboard, Captain Comeback  said that a while back on "Talkin' Ducks", which can now be seen every Tuesday at 5:00 om the CW.  Is that the most ridiculous thing you ever heard? Or does Joey have a point, about so many points?

image.jpeg.6aa8a7a37cbb023239f6dba697112759.jpeg

Imagine you're reading a book, the first 200 pages have you riveted, the characters are exciting, the dialogue pops off the page, you can't put it down! Then the Whodunnit is solved, but there's still 200 pages left, which are filled with  passages of pedestrian prose. 

What would you think of that book?

Marijuana is legal in Oregon? Right?

I remember years and years ago the beav fans were all hot to believe that they were going to beat the Ducks in the CW game. The Ducks won 44-0 or something like that. The next day I talked to my mother, who said, "That must have been a boring game." I said, "Not for Ducks fans!"

Sure, fans of the losing team, or casual viewers who have no stake in the game might think blowout games are boring, but the fans of the winning teams do not. 🙂

Ill take a blowout any day and 2 times on Sundays especially when its the Huskies.

• Thumbs Up 2

I LOVE blow-out games!  I love the scoring, I love wondering how we're going to score next and I love watching the reserves.  I LOVE winning big...

That style took us to TWO "Nattys, and doesn't suck.

Pharoah Brown_CS_FP.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

When I watch a game that is a blow out and it doesn't include the Ducks, it is boring.

Talking about books, you are quoting an author of the thriller, not the killer.

Joey loves the genre he comes from and authored so many times. He comes from the underdog, comeback, thrilling game where the outcome is in doubt throughout. I totally get he wants to see a reflection of himself, his understanding of what the Oregon Football Program stands for.

I struggle with the same emotions when I watch the current Ducks. They aren't the comeback kids, the underdogs, nor are they the killers of the Kelly days. They are, well, we are still trying to figure out what they are.

I like the underdogs of Joey's day, really relate to this. I also enjoyed the Kelly days, and the explosive plays. I also learned to relate to that kind of football, was maybe a little skeptical of an assistant becoming the coach. After the Boise State game many were wondering.

What I am now trying to appreciate is just what the Oregon Football Program is becoming under Cristobal. He doesn't want to be any of the previous coaches, but what is he creating? All I know is in the end, I will learn to love it, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

Great analysis, Hayward Duck, I'm sure that Joey had his own style in mind, he certainly wasn't downplaying the success of Kelly's teams, Oregon has a lot of styles to choose from, Brooks, Belloti, Kelly, now Cristobal have all created an identity, Cristobal's is still formulating, unique to them.

And we've loved them all. 

• Like 1

Kudos to Hayward Duck. It helps to remember, you can only be the new kid on the block once. OBD snuck up on the national scene with Rich and Mike, and then took it by storm with Chip.

As anyone knows, getting to the top the first time is easier than staying there. That rush of original enthusiasm gives way to the complex challenges of building a tradition. But the foundation is still rooted in that original enthusiasm which has never been afraid of risking change if it will make our Ducks better.

There’s been more times than I care to count when I didn’t know where we were headed. But it didn’t matter. All that mattered was knowing I’m a Duck.

I remember Oregon fans being petrified when the Ducks were forced to play an unheralded QB named Graziani against USC, when Danny O'neil was forced to sit out the game with a flesh eating virus on his throwing hand...

Seems to me that game turned satisfyingly well, as did the rest of the season.

Great thoughts. I feel the same way. Although we see that Chip had lightning in a bottle and it didn't go on even for him.