Charles Fischer

Oregon Playoff Rankings Stunner: "Ducks Turned it Around in the Last Two Weeks"

My friends, I cannot remember how long it has been since Our Beloved Ducks were talked about so much on the College Playoff Rankings show! I was blown away to see the Ducks at No. 4, and let's look at their logic and some quotes from the telecast.

Let's start with the most important quote that summarizes it all; after it was revealed that Oregon was No. 4, Kirk Herbstreit stated that, "ultimately, if Oregon wins the rest of their games and wins the Pac-12--they're going to the Playoffs."

He added how the Ducks went through a three week stretch of NOT looking impressive, but in the wins over UCLA and Colorado "they turned their fortunes around the last two weeks."

The telecast torqued me off in the beginning with how many were making the case for the "Eyeball Test" and "full resume" over a head-to-head matchup. ESPN analyst Greg McElroy asserted that, "we shouldn't base things off the eye test," in referring to how people want to put the Buckeyes ahead of Oregon, even though the Ducks won their game earlier in the season.  He went on to say that, "we have to value the head-to-head", and Oregon "has to be ahead of the Buckeyes."

Then Kirk Herbstreit began his campaign of diminishing the Ducks, as he began to kick dirt on Oregon's season and stated, that yes, "Oregon has the win, (over Ohio State) but Oregon also has the most embarrassing loss to a 3-5 Stanford."  He kicked some more with, "It's not just about beating teams, (like Ohio State that he was a QB at) head-to-head, but the entire body of work."

ESPN analyst Joey Galloway chimed in more to support Herbstreit when he referred to Cincinnati barely beating Navy, and Michigan State barely beating Indiana...."one stumble is OK, more than that is a pattern."  In other words--you are losing the eyeball test. It was an oblique reference to the Ducks looking poorly a number of weeks in a row, IMHO.

A Pattern of Honoring Head-to-Head Games in the Rankings

It was clear from the beginning that the committee was going to respect the head-to-head games, as they placed Wisconsin at No. 21 ahead of No. 22 Iowa because of the Badger victory in their game earlier this season. The committee continued this trend by putting Mississippi State at No. 17 ahead of No. 18 Kentucky who they beat. (I did not realize the Pirate was doing so well!) With this respect to the head-to-head matchups...the Dye for Oregon was cast. (Pun intended)

It was also helpful to Oregon that Fresno State was No. 23, helping our resume' for the committee.

Scoring this play_Fox Sports Video.jpg

From CFB Playoff Chairman Gary Barta, AD at Iowa:

"Oregon has some nice wins, they've played some very good football and they've been through a lot of challenges, losing their running back (Verdell) and Thibodeaux, their best player early on.  They beat Ohio State at Ohio State and that was really important to the committee."

ESPN Reporter Heather Dinich explained that the committee had an "emphasis on strength-of-schedule, and while there has been change on that committee--that hasn't changed."

Noah Sewell and Keith Brown_Tom Corno.jpg

(Official Press Release from Oregon Athletics below)

EUGENE, Ore. — Oregon football earned the No. 4 spot in the first College Football Playoff rankings of the 2021 season, which were unveiled Tuesday evening on ESPN.

Off to a 7-1 start overall and 4-1 in conference play, the Ducks are the lone Pac-12 team in the initial CFP top-25 rankings.

One of four schools to play in the inaugural College Football Playoff in 2014, Oregon has now appeared in the CFP poll 21 times. This is the Ducks’ seventh CFP top-five ranking – and first since closing 2014 at No. 2 – and their 12th time in the top 10. Oregon is in the top four of the initial CFP rankings for the first time.

The Ducks scored a season-high 52 points last weekend in a win over Colorado while racking up a season-high 568 yards of total offense. Oregon won its 17th straight game at Autzen Stadium – the third-longest active home win streak in the nation – and its 13th consecutive Pac-12 home game.

Oregon will travel to Seattle this Saturday to take on Washington at 4:44 p.m. PT on ABC.

Oregon’s Resumé at a Glance

» 7-1 overall, 4-1 in Pac-12 play – first place in the Pac-12 North.

» Defeated No. 5 Ohio State on Sept. 11 – first road team to win at Ohio Stadium since 2017.

» Opened the season with a win over No. 23 Fresno State at Autzen Stadium.

» 5-0 at home this season, averaging 39.2 points per game while allowing just 19.2 points per game.

» First in the Pac-12 and No. 23 in the nation with 36.1 points per game.

» Scored 31-plus points in six of eight games.

» Four games of 200-plus rushing yards – 15-1 under Mario Cristobal when rushing for 200 or more.

» No. 11 in the nation in third-down conversion percentage (49.0%).

» Tied for second in the nation with touchdowns on 77.78 percent of red zone opportunities.

» No. 1 in the Pac-12 and tied for ninth in the FBS with a plus-8 turnover margin.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

That was good from Herbie, of course he also was talking about head to head, and should it really matter that Oregon beat Ohio State. Stanford beat Oregon, does that mean Stanford is better than Oregon? No, Herbie it does not, and the Committee didn't think Texas A & M was better than Alabama.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ll take a big helping of crow, lightly seasoned.

I didn’t see that one coming!

• Haha 2

When the Ducks have been in the Final 4 the first week, they have stayed there.

Wow, surprisingly shocked.  Glad, but shocked.  I was hoping Oregon would be ahead of Ohio St., but was thinking they would be at number 5.  So glad they are in the top 4!!  Come on Oregon, win the rest of your games convincingly including Pac12 championship.

I am encouraged with the last two games Oregon has played offensively, especially how the front line has played.  Hoping the defense with getting more players back will play strong through out all 4 quarters the rest of the way.

I have to admit, was surprised where Oklahoma landed.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, Duck in HuskyLand said:

I’ll take a big helping of crow, lightly seasoned.

I didn’t see that one coming!

Me, neither!  Hope we can keep it going……especially without Verdell! Sure hope they avoid their habit of letting the opponent back in the game!

Edited by Duckdude

My friends....I am a muttering mass of protoplasm.  I am still stunned at seeing Oregon at No. 4, and even more at our biggest critic, Herbie admitting that if we win out.....we're in!

I have added more quotes to the original post and the official press release from Oregon who had it up long before the show was over.  I will most likely be placing more quotes in the top post in the next two hours.

Enjoy!

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Gotta have hair on fire from now on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of wish this didn’t happen.

I am real concerned about a let down.

All the rest of our games are trap games.

Its going to be very tough sledding from here on out folks. Don’t let this get your hopes up too high.

Man…..I am a Debbie Downer……. but I really believe this particular team needs outside motivation, and not being included in this top 4 might have been exactly what we needed.

Call me crazy but in my mind the Ducks are an underdog in every one of their remaining games. That needs to be their mindset.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 3

Did you see THAT sports fans!

I'm liking my 12-1 Final 4 call better and better. 

Oregon needs to play on New Year's Eve and not New Year's Day.

Not only for the Ducks but for the entire conference.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, C J said:

I am real concerned about a let down.

I get what you're saying, but I'm going the other way. I believe that being in the 4 with big games coming up, starting at Washington is exactly what the team needs to get fired up. Of course all we can do is panic for the next month. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Upside...

I believe the committee sees Oregon's upside.  

Potential will get you "fired".  So the ultimate question is " will the Ducks start dropping 85 giga ton bombs on the conference and leave a cloud of dust for miles?"

52-29 games from this point gets them in.  45-17 guarantees them a #3.  

I'm stunned.  Truly stunned.  

"Will Batman revert to his old habits and play to the level of his competition?  Or are we witnessing the dawn of a new era?"

Join us this weekend my friends. Same Bat Time(not), same Bat Channel. 

Ducks pass my eye test: I clearly saw them beat Ohio State.

• Haha 2

What was the title of today ponder point?  I expect a toast to the team with your favorite beverages tonight, not too much though were not done!

Oregon Becoming the Team We Expected

5srixh.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/2/2021 at 5:54 PM, Mike West said:

Join us this weekend my friends. Same Bat Time(not), same Bat Channel. 

image.png.dc475d3d14987a526805aa575bfbbe0d.png

• Haha 1

1 game at a time--no jinxing

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, 30Duck said:

but I'm going the other way.

I like it and I will follow if it leads us to the promised land 🙈

My friends, I've added more to the first post, but I will show it here as well for you....

From CFB Playoff Chairman Gary Barta, AD at Iowa:

"Oregon has some nice wins, they've played some very good football and they've been through a lot of challenges, losing their running back (Verdell) and Thibodeaux, their best player early on.  They beat Ohio State at Ohio State and that was really important to the committee."

ESPN Reporter Heather Dinich explained that the committee had an "emphasis on strength-of-schedule, and while there has been change on that committee--that hasn't changed."

DJ Johnson_Tom Corno.jpg

My friends, this is why I've wanted a forum for so long...as we cannot produce articles quite like this in a regular blog with the superb discussion that takes place in a forum like this.  And it allows the "reporter" within me to emerge to overcome the occasional Analyst and Op-Ed writer that I usually operate as.  Wait until later tonight and you see the screenshots I will produce....

This is great fun for yours-truly, and I hope for you too!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, C J said:

I really believe this particular team needs outside motivation

I do not think that there is any more outside motivation than getting into the Playoff.  It could not be more clear to them...."win out and you're in!"

There are two ways to look at this, and one is acknowledging the pressure of every game.  The other is the incredible opportunity in front of them, and "let's go for it and get it!"

We have good, tough opponents in front of us, but none are ranked.  Every conference has tough teams, and the Big-10 and Big-12 have a brutal final four games.  You cannot ask for a better table to be set in front of you...

Let's savor this moment my friends!

Devon Williams_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/2/2021 at 5:54 PM, Mike West said:

"Will Batman revert to his old habits and play to the level of his competition?  Or are we witnessing the dawn of a new era?"

Mike....you are so right, in that you cannot get any more drama, any more entertainment than this.  EVERYBODY in the nation is going to be watching Oregon...."will they stumble?"  The attention back on the program is so much fun, and I do remind everyone of Herbie's words earlier in the season as "college football is better when Oregon is relevant."

Amen my Duck Brothers and Sisters!

Ducks celebrate_Oregon Athletics Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/2/2021 at 9:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I do not think that there is any more outside motivation than getting into the Playoff.  It could not be more clear to them...."win out and you're in!"

There are two ways to look at this, and one is acknowledging the pressure of every game.  The other is the incredible opportunity in front of them, and "let's go for it and get it!"

We have good, tough opponents in front of us, but none are ranked.  Every conference has tough teams, and the Big-10 and Big-12 have a brutal final four games.  You cannot ask for a better table to be set in front of you...

Let's savor this moment my friends!

Devon Williams_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Absolutely. 100% Spot ON! Today what matters is The Final 4. It's not like the Rose Bowl is equivalent to making the Elite 8 in the BBall Tourney; it simply is not.

Plus, Ducks go to the PO + that means another Pac-12 team is in the NY6, playing in the Rose Bowl.. That's $10M for the conference instead of $4M. 

Anyone wanting the Ducks to face easier competition in the Rose Bowl has my respect, but in this day and age of the Final 4, not wanting a Final 4 bid is simply wrong. 

The Final 4 to recruits matters. With the Pac-12 media rights being renegotiated in 2023 before the expiration of the current rights in 2024, it also really matters.

Last time Oregon was in this position? It was a no show at ASU. The Ducks showed up flat and could not come back against a mediocre team.

This is big time CFB and you need, especially considering where the rest of the conference is, to be in the Final 4. And BTW, I do not believe that the Ducks would be embarrassed in the semi-final. 

This is gut check time for Mario, the coaching staff and the team.

The next 5, yes I'm calling the Ducks playing for the title in LV, are all winnable games. There is not a roster the Ducks will face that is its equal.

NO EXCUSES! Kick booty.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/2/2021 at 8:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

This is gut check time for Mario, the coaching staff and the team.

Absolutely, this Saturday Ohio State is at Nebraska, not a "Rival" really, just a team they need to destroy. Does anybody seriously think they won't?

• Thumbs Up 1