FishDuck Article

Did the CFP Committee Actually Get It RIGHT?

The College Football Playoff Committee loves stirring the pot, don’t they? Tuesday’s initial rankings once again raised more than a few eyebrows across the country. Some of the biggest surprises included Alabama debuting at No. 2, Oregon landing in the top four, and undefeated Cincinnati ranking at No. 6. The Committee made plenty of good calls this time around, but ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

On 11/3/2021 at 3:32 AM, Confused said:

Oklahoma at number 8?

Might have to change your screen name. Spot on. 

Its just hype and marketing until after the conference championships anyway. 

Until there’s a 12-16 team playoff it will always remain a subjective beauty contest to a large extent. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It' s interesting how much 1 game means to a lot of teams. Oregon has the W over tOSU, Cincy, the W over Notre Dame. Oklahoma needed the QB change to beat Texas. Michigan State is 8-0. But its come from behind W over Michigan is its first W over a team with a winning record. If Michigan had held on they'd be an even stronger No.2 with 3 wins, Western Michigan, Wisconsin, and would be, Michigan State.

Alabama starts every season knowing they can lose 1 and not worry about the CFP.

• Thumbs Up 1

They got it right because they didn't start until this week and will adjust through the end of the season. I also think they got it right because Oregon has a strong win on the road. As stated, many of these teams will have a chance to win big, maybe not Cincinnati but the underling saga continues.

Strength of schedule and finishing strong will rule. Even Georgia needs to keep winning big, and can't stumble too bad. I actually love the idea of playing Georgia two games in a row, talk about bright lights on the program!

Oregon is set up pretty well, but needs to realize the opportunity is still an earned opportunity. That gift will only be achieved if they can beat teams which will be gunning for them while they get better. Not a small task, but well within reach, Go Ducks!

5stjs0.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• Thumbs Up 1

Joshua

Well thought out and presented. Thank you....

No matter what the invitational committee presents, there will be dissenters. Fan bases, on the outside looking in will argue their cases.

Just as we would if they put Oregon at #8 or behind tOSU.

Barring the usual upsets that can befall 1 thru 4, IMHO, as long as Oregon and tOSU win out, it will be difficult for anyone to jump them.

tOSU is our buffer. 

Win out Ducks. Ignore the noise. It can be difficult at age 18-19 to understand this. But this is your moment, it is in your hands. It may never come your way again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty impressive article Joshua, considering that you did not even begin working on it until 8:00 PM Eastern!  I have some quibbles here and there, but the committee was consistent about SOS and head-to-head meetings.

I thought we would be No. 6 or No. 7, and I hope the Ducks do something with this gift.

Dye gets blocks_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/3/2021 at 7:58 AM, 30Duck said:

Much like the movie business, the big budget programs get the attention and the big venues. 

The big budget movies aren't always the best. Sometimes there are amazing movies that don't have the big budget.

Rocky was one of the greatest, only 1 million spent, but earned over $150 million and best picture. Can a program create a Rocky type story and outcome in this playoff format?

It seems the powers won't let that happen. Maybe, just maybe, Cincinnati can be that program and knock off Georgia? What a story that would be, much like the rise of Oregon's Football Program, back in the day.  Of course I would love to see Oregon be that program too, and win it all as an underdog this season, both seem improbable, but possible?

5su1f2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Great take Joshua.

But I disagree regarding Cincinnati. I think Cincy at 6 is high.. The Bearcats SOS is 100.  Unlike the AP Poll, no other AAC team is ranked by the Committee. IMO, this season's Notre Dame team should be the lowest ranked 1L team, behind both OK ST and Baylor?

If any team is under ranked, IMO, it's Michigan at 7? I think Michigan has as good a lose as Bama. And Bama's OOC schedule is putrid. Miami is a .500 team in a bad conference. 

I don't have a beef with Bama at 2, but MS ST at 17? I know it was a questionable loss but MS ST did lose to Memphis. If MS ST is not ranked I see no reason why Bama should be ranked ahead of Michigan? Certainly not 5 spots higher than Michigan.

BTW. Based on its OOC play and in conference play, I have no beef with the Ducks being the only ranked Pac-12 team. This is not east coast bias, it is bad west coast play.

But it's all just debate material until after the conference champ games.

Thanks again, good stuff!

On 11/3/2021 at 6:32 AM, Confused said:

I don’t think so.  Oklahoma at number 8?   They should be 4.   Oregon 5  Cincinnati 6  OHio State 7 

As Joshua noted, OK has no wins over a team with better than a .500 record. No top 25 wins. And plenty of close escapes against bad teams including Kansas.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

As Joshua noted, OK has no wins over a team with better than a .500 record. No top 25 wins. And plenty of close escapes against bad teams including Kansas.

My bad. OK does have a W over 5-3 Kansas State a team that beat up Stanford in the first game of the season.

Committee gave itself some flexibility to add tOSU or Cincinnati. Oregon is in a very precarious spot, and really needs 1) the SEC to produce a 2-loss team, Georgia or Alabama; 2) MSU to go undefeated; 3) tOSU to be no worse than a 2-loss team. 

If tOSU wins the rest of the way, and the SEC has two 1-loss teams, MSU and the Ducks are out, OSU and Cincinnati are in.

I could be wrong.

With a lot of potential B1G and Little-12 chaos potentially on the horizon, it may work itself out.  That said, Oregon's 4 remaining opponents will really bring it, and bring it hard.  We better play like we did in Columbus, every week.  May have to beat Utah twice, once in SLC and once in Vegas...we do, we deserve to be in.

I believe the problem with the PAC Jon is as u stated earlier.$$$ spent by our Universities and a couple of other issues. When we play ooc games our team's seem to do well when we play at home in our time not EST, that the only recruiting numbers are based in California for all the teams on the West Coast and even the rest of the country.

Look at 3 of the top QBs at tOSU, OU and Clemson. All out of California. J T Tamalou  the #1 player out of Washington going to tOSU etc. 

I don't believe this can be changed. Football is a religion in the Mid West and South. Just to many obstacles for the West Coast.

WHAT A COACHING STAFF!

Georgia 1, Bama 2, MI ST 3, Oregon 4.

In 2015, Georgia HC Smart, MI ST HC Tucker and Oregon HC Cristobal were all on Saban's staff at Bama! 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 4

Go figure huh

I know nobody likes computers for rankings, but the AAC is ranked #11 in Jeff Sagarin conference rankings.  Houston and SMU are good teams, but overall the AAC is not on the level of a P5 conference.  Even as poor as the ACC and Pac 12 are playing, the conferences on the whole are much stronger.  Top 6 teams from each conference.  I would have placed Cincy at #4, but moved them out as their SOS got worse and worse.

Only Arizona and Colorado have a ranking over 100.  ACC only Duke is over 100.   AAC has 4 teams over 100 and Tulsa at #97.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Pac 12 ACC AAC
Oregon #15 Wake #16 Cincinnati #6
Utah #22 Clemson #18 SMU #39
ASU #34 Pitt #20 Houston #41
UCLA #40 NC ST. #25 UCF #56
UW #45 Miami #37 Memphis #85
OSU #49 Virginia #44

East Carolina #88

• Thumbs Up 1

Great stuff--thanks!

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/3/2021 at 1:42 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I believe the problem with the PAC Jon is as u stated earlier.$$$ spent by our Universities and a couple of other issues. When we play ooc games our team's seem to do well when we play at home in our time not EST, that the only recruiting numbers are based in California for all the teams on the West Coast and even the rest of the country.

Look at 3 of the top QBs at tOSU, OU and Clemson. All out of California. J T Tamalou  the #1 player out of Washington going to tOSU etc. 

I don't believe this can be changed. Football is a religion in the Mid West and South. Just to many obstacles for the West Coast.

Great points. Except his season the Pac-12 is 0-4 vs BYU (will probably be 0-5 after BYU plays USC) has 2Ls vs FCS schools and a bad record vs the Mountain West. 

Good call on the talent going west to east. Why? Because the BCS and the so-called Playoff made CFB far more of a national rather than regional sport and lifted the SEC to new heights. while crippling the Pac-12.  Success breeds success. The SEC year after year sends more guys on to the NFL than any other conference. And, of course, the SEC gets at least 1 team in the PO year after year.

Also the SEC and the B1G through Delaney's tenure, have had great leadership. Delaney came up with the idea of a network dedicated to a single conference's athletics and convinced FOX to pay for it!

The SEC's Roy Kramer was the guy who came up with divisions and sold the BCS to the other P5 conferences.

The Pac-12? Would you have put the Rose Bowl on the same level as the Peach Bowl in return for trinkets? Would you start a network without a media partner and without adequate distribution contracts in place?

Lots of reasons the Pac-12 is lagging behind but many of the injuries have been self-inflicted.

IMO the conference should have expanded its geographic reach when the B12 imploded. It's not too late to do so but time is running out and viable expansion candidates are disappearing.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:46 PM, Jon Joseph said:

WHAT A COACHING STAFF!

Georgia 1, Bama 2, MI ST 3, Oregon 4.

In 2015, Georgia HC Smart, MI ST HC Tucker and Oregon HC Cristobal were all on Saban's staff at Bama! 

Also on this staff - Lane Kiffin and Louisiana's Bill Napier.

On 11/3/2021 at 6:32 AM, Confused said:

I don’t think so.  Oklahoma at number 8?   They should be 4.   Oregon 5  Cincinnati 6  OHio State 7 

Interesting. I assume you're valuing the undefeated record a bunch?

On 11/3/2021 at 9:57 AM, 30Duck said:

It' s interesting how much 1 game means to a lot of teams. Oregon has the W over tOSU, Cincy, the W over Notre Dame. Oklahoma needed the QB change to beat Texas. Michigan State is 8-0. But its come from behind W over Michigan is its first W over a team with a winning record. If Michigan had held on they'd be an even stronger No.2 with 3 wins, Western Michigan, Wisconsin, and would be, Michigan State.

Alabama starts every season knowing they can lose 1 and not worry about the CFP.

Yeah, there's really only a handful of noteworthy opponents a team will play all year, so those big games hold a lot of weight.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

They got it right because they didn't start until this week and will adjust through the end of the season. I also think they got it right because Oregon has a strong win on the road. As stated, many of these teams will have a chance to win big, maybe not Cincinnati but the underling saga continues.

Strength of schedule and finishing strong will rule. Even Georgia needs to keep winning big, and can't stumble too bad. I actually love the idea of playing Georgia two games in a row, talk about bright lights on the program!

Oregon is set up pretty well, but needs to realize the opportunity is still an earned opportunity. That gift will only be achieved if they can beat teams which will be gunning for them while they get better. Not a small task, but well within reach, Go Ducks!

5stjs0.jpg

Great point, Hayward. It's definitely smart to wait until late in the season to start ranking teams, I have to give those involved with the playoff credit for that.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:58 AM, 30Duck said:

Maybe I'm naïve, but I actually think the committee generally does a decent job. I do understand the conspiracy theories, though, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there is some validity to them.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:07 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Joshua

Well thought out and presented. Thank you....

No matter what the invitational committee presents, there will be dissenters. Fan bases, on the outside looking in will argue their cases.

Just as we would if they put Oregon at #8 or behind tOSU.

Barring the usual upsets that can befall 1 thru 4, IMHO, as long as Oregon and tOSU win out, it will be difficult for anyone to jump them.

tOSU is our buffer. 

Win out Ducks. Ignore the noise. It can be difficult at age 18-19 to understand this. But this is your moment, it is in your hands. It may never come your way again.

I agree; I think some believe Ohio State can jump us with big wins down the road, but I think the committee definitely set the precedent that head-to-head basically trumps all with the placement of Mississippi State and Wisconsin. Oregon's safe as long as they keep winning.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:47 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Pretty impressive article Joshua, considering that you did not even begin working on it until 8:00 PM Eastern!  I have some quibbles here and there, but the committee was consistent about SOS and head-to-head meetings.

I thought we would be No. 6 or No. 7, and I hope the Ducks do something with this gift.

Dye gets blocks_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Thanks, Charles. Most of the time was spent cutting words to keep it at a readable length ...I hope you'll excuse it for being a long one! 

On 11/3/2021 at 12:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take Joshua.

But I disagree regarding Cincinnati. I think Cincy at 6 is high.. The Bearcats SOS is 100.  Unlike the AP Poll, no other AAC team is ranked by the Committee. IMO, this season's Notre Dame team should be the lowest ranked 1L team, behind both OK ST and Baylor?

If any team is under ranked, IMO, it's Michigan at 7? I think Michigan has as good a lose as Bama. And Bama's OOC schedule is putrid. Miami is a .500 team in a bad conference. 

I don't have a beef with Bama at 2, but MS ST at 17? I know it was a questionable loss but MS ST did lose to Memphis. If MS ST is not ranked I see no reason why Bama should be ranked ahead of Michigan? Certainly not 5 spots higher than Michigan.

BTW. Based on its OOC play and in conference play, I have no beef with the Ducks being the only ranked Pac-12 team. This is not east coast bias, it is bad west coast play.

But it's all just debate material until after the conference champ games.

Thanks again, good stuff!

I don't think you're alone thinking Cincy is too high, Jon. It seems like a lot of other people share that perspective, so I might be the odd one out. I just think that how Cincinnati has handled its schedule, for the most part, has been very impressive. They get grief for beating Tulane by 28+ points when Oklahoma beat them by 5...

On 11/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, Duck in HuskyLand said:

Committee gave itself some flexibility to add tOSU or Cincinnati. Oregon is in a very precarious spot, and really needs 1) the SEC to produce a 2-loss team, Georgia or Alabama; 2) MSU to go undefeated; 3) tOSU to be no worse than a 2-loss team. 

If tOSU wins the rest of the way, and the SEC has two 1-loss teams, MSU and the Ducks are out, OSU and Cincinnati are in.

I could be wrong.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I think Cincinnati is pretty clearly out unless Oregon loses. Oregon could get left out if the SEC gets two teams in, though.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:26 PM, JDuck said:

With a lot of potential B1G and Little-12 chaos potentially on the horizon, it may work itself out.  That said, Oregon's 4 remaining opponents will really bring it, and bring it hard.  We better play like we did in Columbus, every week.  May have to beat Utah twice, once in SLC and once in Vegas...we do, we deserve to be in.

Absolutely. The game against Wazzu scares me like no other.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:56 PM, Tandaian said:

I know nobody likes computers for rankings, but the AAC is ranked #11 in Jeff Sagarin conference rankings.  Houston and SMU are good teams, but overall the AAC is not on the level of a P5 conference.  Even as poor as the ACC and Pac 12 are playing, the conferences on the whole are much stronger.  Top 6 teams from each conference.  I would have placed Cincy at #4, but moved them out as their SOS got worse and worse.

Only Arizona and Colorado have a ranking over 100.  ACC only Duke is over 100.   AAC has 4 teams over 100 and Tulsa at #97.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Pac 12 ACC AAC
Oregon #15 Wake #16 Cincinnati #6
Utah #22 Clemson #18 SMU #39
ASU #34 Pitt #20 Houston #41
UCLA #40 NC ST. #25 UCF #56
UW #45 Miami #37 Memphis #85
OSU #49 Virginia #44

East Carolina #88

This is a great point, and it definitely debunks my claim that the AAC is on the level of the Pac-12 or ACC. Great research and information. 

On 11/3/2021 at 7:09 PM, Joshua Whitted said:

Absolutely. The game against Wazzu scares me like no other.

Funny, that's the one, stupid 730 pm kickoff...WSU...makes me the most nervous too

On 11/3/2021 at 10:07 PM, Joshua Whitted said:

I don't think you're alone thinking Cincy is too high, Jon. It seems like a lot of other people share that perspective, so I might be the odd one out. I just think that how Cincinnati has handled its schedule, for the most part, has been very impressive. They get grief for beating Tulane by 28+ points when Oklahoma beat them by 5...

Thanks Joshua. Good point on Tulsa but I think OK is being punished by the CT at 8 for desultory play vs Tulsa, Kansas and others? 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:40 AM, Confused said:

I think an undefeated record in a better conference is more deserving than a team who lost to a crappy Stanford team 

I agree. But the AAC according to any number of algorithms is not a stronger conference than the Pac-12. 5 of the 8 teams CIN has defeated to date have losing records.

On 11/4/2021 at 1:18 PM, Confused said:

My apologies Jon, I was referring to Oklahoma.  Cincinnati has no business even being in playoff conversation.   USC went toe to toe with Notre Dame-at Notre Dame,  so Cincinnati’s only decent win isn’t really that great 

Sorry for the misread on my part. I agree with you 100% regarding OK. A 13-0 Sooners team is in.