Charles Fischer

Team Fast Facts about Oregon's Victory over Washington State

I am pretty impressed with how Cristobal does so well at Autzen, (21-1!) and now this is becoming "a thing."  Thoughts?

Team Notes After WSU_Oregon Athletics.jpg

Cristobal vs WSU 2021_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Not to discredit these great #s but it could well be 22-0 without the end game blip vs Stanford. The Ducks have 1 of the longest home winning streaks in the country.

Now, if we just had New Mexico St at home next Saturday instead of having to trip to the 4th cross over game at Utah. This 9 game regular season schedule has to go.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/14/2021 at 7:29 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Not to discredit these great #s but it could well be 22-0 without the end game blip vs Stanford. The Ducks have 1 of the longest home winning streaks in the country.

Ironically, that game is a signature of Cristobal teams.  Until they bury teams (and I mean dig the hole, drop the body in, and fill it back up), this team will not only miss the playoffs, but lose in the playoffs.

They're giving themselves plenty of chances to completely dominate inferior opponents.  Time to learn how champions truly win. 

I think dominating at home is just one of the legs on a stool of becoming an elite program.

You have to be able to win big games, check, Cristobal won at the shoe, and Rose Bowl. He can get a team ready for big games, against elite teams, which bodes well for the playoffs, if we make it. 

A program also has to dominate at home. Teams need to know you can't come into their house and expect anything other than a loss. This is part of the intimidation factor, critical to an elite program.

The final leg is being able to beat any team you are expected to beat. This coming weekend gives us another chance to build on this aspect of becoming an elite program. So far we don't quite have this edge. I look forward to this team making that step, after a stumble at the farm.

I think this is a tough goal and road to complete this type of program focus. The last step will let every team in the Pac-12 know Oregon is the alpha program. This weeks game, away, against a good team gives the 2021 team a chance to yell it loud. 'We are the dominant program' and watch out going forward! That will be the final leg which will allow this program to go where it is bound to be, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 8:46 AM, Mike West said:

Ironically, that game is a signature of Cristobal teams.  Until they bury teams (and I mean dig the hole, drop the body in, and fill it back up),

I agree that this Oregon team hasn't done this regularly... But I would say they are getting better at it. 

If they called the Brown touchdown correctly and not as a fumble... Which by the sound of it was due to a lack of cameras because if ESPN... They Oregon really would have buried WSU better. However, the past few games have ended with Oregon with multi score victories. 

Getting better... But still a ways to go. Just hoping they beat Utah and OSU by multiple scores. 

WSU game was never in contention. Even tied at half Ducks were in complete control of that game. Never once felt as if they weren't.  MC and the Ducks know how to win games. The win at the Shoe confirms it.

Dominating is not always shown in the final score.  I'd say Oregon dominated tOSU, UW and WSU.  I know while watching tOSU, I was only slightly nervous we would lose in the 2nd half, since we hadn't yet made it a pattern of winning by 1 score.

UW had 166 yards and 7 first downs for the whole game.  The Ducks had 427 and 22.  If AB doesn't throw the INT, the Ducks are up 10-2 at half, instead of 10-9.

Against WSU Oregon dominated every quarter except the 2nd quarter.  Turnovers are part of the game, but Oregon's fumble in the 1st half was huge for WSU.  The AB TD was absolutely not a fumble at the goal line.  I sit right at that goal line and it was pretty clear where AB was with the ball.  The video replay looked pretty clear to me as well.

38-24 score might not have shown it was a dominating performance, but the Ducks dominated WSU.  I'd always prefer to win by 17+, but we all know MC's MO isn't to do that.

A surprising stat to me.  The Ducks are #10 in the nation in rushing offense.  They are averaging 227.7 on offense and only giving up 119.9 on defense.  No need to see their D giving up 248 yards of passing.  They are better than tOSU, they are giving up 261.  Michigan State is last in FBS giving up 329.0.