30Duck

Is Cristobal the Best Coach in the Pac-12?

I definitely agree. Check it out. I believe you will to. But doubt it, rest of league hates us

NO

• Thumbs Up 1

Smith or Dickert should be coach of the year,

On 11/28/2021 at 4:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Cristobal or Whittingham, winner on Friday should be COY. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 4:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

On 11/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, 30Duck said:

Cristobal or Whittingham, winner on Friday should be COY. 

Cristobal and Whittingham have been building something for a few years, Smith also.

I agree with JJ that it should be Smith or Dickert. While Smith has been building for 4 years, from where he started 4 years ago, the rise has been meteoric. What Dickert did without a head coach and FOUR other assistant coaches is nothing short of amazing.

The level of amazing elevates both Smith and Dickert over the other too.  IMHO, which, of course, isn't worth anything in the final analysis. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest KingT

If he beats Utah, it's a lock. If not, Whittingham gets it.

Cristobal has done the best job recruiting players and coaches.  He had the best away win of the season, but also had a couple head scratchers on the road.

Coaches Smith, Dickert, and Whittingham may have have done more with less than Cristobal.  But Cristobal dealt with the most injuries to starters.

Dickert was not fully responsible for the recruiting part, ended the Apple Cup losing streak, and won a full time job.  He is the clubhouse leader in my book.

On 11/28/2021 at 4:21 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I agree with JJ that it should be Smith or Dickert.

It's a great debate, as it should be, But, while Dickert did a great job, at WSU, if he had beaten Cristobal and Oregon, and won the North, I'd say give it to him. Likewise, Smith has done a great job rebuilding OSU, but 7-5, 1-5 on the road, gets you an extension at Oregon State, not COY, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Best recruiter. School still out on coaching, I look for him to get better at that but he is not the best coach yet.

The modern head coach is a lot more than the guy on the sidelines on Saturdays. He’s the head of a substantial organization, with lots of money, lots of moving pieces, and a reputation on the line. Recruiting is a huge part of that program, and is part of evaluating the abilities of a coach. 

Edited by jrw

I would go with Dickert, he inherited quite a mess. 

Regardless of who they decide is coach of the year there is one person who is coaching better than anyone else in the Pac 12 and that is Jonathan Smith. He is doing more with less than anybody.....and it's not even close. 

A few of the games the Beavers won this year were practically due to decisions that Smith made relative to clock management as well as play calling.

Conference Championship Game winner takes it. 

It's not close folks

Smith has lived by the transfer portal and 7-5 is NOT worthy. Come on man 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, shawnski said:

Smith has lived by the transfer portal and 7-5 is NOT worthy. Come on man

Using the transfer portal is one of the things that makes Smith genius. OSU could not recruit blue chips out of HS and so he went to the portal aggressively and pulled in former blue chips that were already coached up a bit by good programs. He did this when others didn't really utilize the portal much. Smith is now getting serious looks from blue chips out of HS. If the progression continues, OSU recruiting will be at a the level that the Snake took Oregon to... which was the best ever that Oregon had. 

On 11/29/2021 at 10:36 AM, Jon Sousa said:

OSU recruiting will be at a the level that the Snake took Oregon to... which was the best ever that Oregon had. 

I am in agreement with his continued improvement in recruiting, but for OSU to recruit as well as the best Oregon has ever done?  I am not buying that statement, and we will just cheerfully disagree on that one.

But Smith has my respect...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am in agreement with his continued improvement in recruiting, but for OSU to recruit as well as the best Oregon has ever done?  I am not buying that statement, and we will just cheerfully disagree on that one.

I did not say that OSU will recruit as well as the best Oregon has ever done. I said, "OSU recruiting will be at a the level that the Snake took Oregon to... which was the best ever that Oregon had."   When the Snake came to Oregon and had his first recruiting class all the chatter on FishDuck was that he proved that Oregon CAN be recruited too. When he left, MC took it to another level and has been improving every year.

What I said was that OSU recruiting will be (future tense-at some time in the future) at the level that the Snake took Oregon to... which was the best ever that Oregon had (past tense - at the time that the Snake was here). I did not say that OSU will ever recruit as well as Oregon is now.

I don't see any disagreement here as I did not say that OSU will at any time "recruit as well as the best Oregon has ever done."   So, let's not agree to "cheerfully disagree" on anything here. How about if we just cheerfully agree that the recruiting trajectory of Jonathan Smith looks very bright as you do in the first part of your sentence above before you misquoted me in the second half of the same sentence?

Edited by Jon Sousa
  • Thumbs Up 1

The one thing we know for sure is the bottom of the list.

12. The Dawgs

5w2qmh.gif

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2021 at 7:23 AM, Jon Sousa said:

I did not say that OSU will recruit as well as the best Oregon has ever done. I said, "OSU recruiting will be at a the level that the Snake took Oregon to... which was the best ever that Oregon had."   When the Snake came to Oregon and had his first recruiting class all the chatter on FishDuck was that he proved that Oregon CAN be recruited too. When he left, MC took it to another level and has been improving every year.

What I said was that OSU recruiting will be (future tense-at some time in the future) at the level that the Snake took Oregon to... which was the best ever that Oregon had (past tense - at the time that the Snake was here). I did not say that OSU will ever recruit as well as Oregon is now.

I don't see any disagreement here as I did not say that OSU will at any time "recruit as well as the best Oregon has ever done."   So, let's not agree to "cheerfully disagree" on anything here. How about if we just cheerfully agree that the recruiting trajectory of Jonathan Smith looks very bright as you do in the first part of your sentence above before you misquoted me in the second half of the same sentence?

Sorry, I just don't see it. Smith has had ONE winning season and bottom of the barrel recruiting. Going 5-4 in a terrible Pac-12? History tells us it just isn't going to happen. 2000 was a LONG time ago.

I respect what Dickert did during a tumultuous time at WSU, and Smith looks to have the Beavers headed in the right direction. Dickert was formally hired at WSU, and Smith was given an extension, to keep it moving up at OSU. So congratulations to both of them.

But COY for this year? If Dickert and the Cougars had beaten Cristobal and Oregon and won the North, he'd have a great case for COY, but that didn't happen. Smith went 7-5, 1 and 5 on the road. Those are not numbers that say COY. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The more I think about COY should be given to the PAC champ.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2021 at 12:16 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

The more I think about COY should be given to the PAC champ.

Sound thinking but formulaic? I think COY should be more subtle? Who did the best with the least? Who finished higher than expected? IMO< OR to date has finished up to expectation with 2Ls; Utah had 2 bad OOC Ls. 

On 11/30/2021 at 10:00 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Sound thinking but formulaic?

I agree that giving it to the Conference Champ lacks nuance, but should it be a disqualification? Good job JS for exceeding expectations at OS.