30Duck

OU's QB Spencer Rattler Enters Transfer Portal

Great catch 30Duck!

Mr. FishDuck

Will QB Caleb Williams follow Riley to SC?

I'd love to have Spencer Rattler on the roster. He has played in and won big games. The guys in Oregon's QB room could not beat out Brown. Rattler would have started over Brown.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Jackson Dart and Kedon Slovis have both looked good at times at USC. USC has not had a QB problem... offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, runningback, and parts of the secondary... yes. 

If Williams leaves to go to USC he loses his starting job and would have to compete with some pretty good talent. Better to stay at Oklahoma and get some of the NIL money. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I'd love to have Spencer Rattler on the roster. He has played in and won big games. The guys in Oregon's QB room could not beat out Brown. Rattler would have started over Brown.

I think he will and will be the best QB that SC has had in years, Leinart, Sanchez, Barkley, none of them are as good as Williams.

And Rattler isn't as good as Williams, but would be the best QB at Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, David Marsh said:

Jackson Dart and Kedon Slovis have both looked good at times at USC. USC has not had a QB problem... offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, runningback, and parts of the secondary... yes. 

If Williams leaves to go to USC he loses his starting job and would have to compete with some pretty good talent. Better to stay at Oklahoma and get some of the NIL money. 

Williams is a generational type talent. He transfers to SC and Dart is headed elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

My guess is he’ll go to Ole Miss or ASU unless they (ASU) get hit with sanctions. Ole Miss makes the most sense for him, though. Their starter is leaving and he’ll have Kiffin as his personal QB guru. That is, unless Kiffin leaves for a better job. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

I read today that it is expected that as many as 500 football players will be entering the transfer by next Monday. WOW !! That is a lot of unhappy campers. It's a great opportunity for lesser programs who wouldn't get a look see from the top high school recruits to fill out their rosters with talent in the second go round.

Given that it wasn't working out for him at Oregon, Pittman really was wise to hit the portal early and beat the crowd. Things will be a lot more difficult to sort out with 500 + players all vying for attention.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:17 PM, latracey said:

I read today that it is expected that as many as 500 football players will be entering the transfer by next Monday. WOW !! That is a lot of unhappy campers. It's a great opportunity for lesser programs who wouldn't get a look see from the top high school recruits to fill out their rosters with talent in the second go round.

Some are unhappy others I am sure are just looking for opportunities for more playing time. The sad thing is that many will lose their scholarships and not find a new home. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If Rattler is willing to come to Oregon I'm totally fine with it. As long as the conversation that is had with him is that the position is an open battle. Let iron sharpen iron. There will clearly be attrition at the position with Ty, Butters, Ashford, and Tanner Bailey all on the roster next year; but whoever rises out of that slugfest will be an absolute force to be reckoned with.

No shock there. 

If Williams stays with Oklahoma, Rattler for sure is gone. But if Williams joins Riley at USC, Rattler may very well opt back in.

Mario hasn't used the portal much. can't see him use it for a QB. There is one name I just saw that interested me.

4* QB Jack Miller out of tOSU. Would be a sophomore. If our coaches don't feel our current crop of QBs are sufficient, what about him?

On 11/29/2021 at 12:45 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Williams is a generational type talent. He transfers to SC and Dart is headed elsewhere.

Absolutely. The kid is amazing.

On 11/29/2021 at 5:40 PM, Duck 1972 said:

If our coaches don't feel our current crop of QBs are sufficient, what about him?

I think the coaches NEED to show they can produce a talented quarterback. MC inherited Herbert from Helfrich, played Shough who then flamed out and transferred and grabbed Brown from the transfer portal. Fans lost faith in Helfrich when he dipped into the transfer market and grabbed Dakota Prukop rather than prove he had a starting quarterback he recruited. Adams was necessary because there wans't a quality QB after Mariota left and Prukop continued that narrative, even though Herbert would prove otherwise but it was too late. Also the defense was dreadful... another story for another time.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Miller would be different by coming from tOSU as a sophomore, wouldn't he?

Well this isn't exactly surprising...

On 11/29/2021 at 7:05 PM, David Marsh said:

I think the coaches NEED to show they can produce a talented quarterback. MC inherited Herbert from Helfrich, played Shough who then flamed out and transferred and grabbed Brown from the transfer portal. Fans lost faith in Helfrich when he dipped into the transfer market and grabbed Dakota Prukop rather than prove he had a starting quarterback he recruited. Adams was necessary because there wans't a quality QB after Mariota left and Prukop continued that narrative, even though Herbert would prove otherwise but it was too late. Also the defense was dreadful... another story for another time.  

Helfrich was in a tough spot.  It's difficult to recruit high quality QBs when they know they would ride the bench for however long Mariota would be there.  As I recall, Oregon had multiple blue chip QBs transfer out as that was precisely the case...that basically led to a situation of needing to recruit precisely the right QB during Mariota's last year that had a high probability of panning out....not exactly easy.

• Thumbs Up 1