PittDuck

It's Official: Akron Hires Moorhead....Jo No Mo.

Our OC left for Zip? This says it all about our offense.

The question is who will take the spot of somebody who left our program for zip.  I just hope Moorhead had a heart to heart with Mario about why he left, and the potential to win, how to win at Oregon.

I also hope the next OC makes Cristobal promise he can run the offense the way he wants, or he's not coming. This could be the moment we need or a continued slide for our much loved offense.

• Thumbs Up 1

After getting out physicality'd twice badly by UT I wonder if MC will dig in even harder on his "Lets get physical" culture? If so what does that

mean for the next OC hire? Or is it all moot anyways cause MC may be leaving. So much to ponder. 

Boy...what a hot mess Oregon has turned into!  The swing in a two week span from being No. 3 in the Playoff Rankings to this?  Whew!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/4/2021 at 11:03 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Boy...what a hot mess Oregon has turned into!  The swing in a two week span from being No. 3 in the Playoff Rankings to this?  Whew!

Pretty disappointing.

• Like 1

Wonder if Oregon could get Andy Ludwig to come back here as the new O.C. (and head coach in waiting if M.C. leaves)?   I like his style of mixing it up; shotgun, under center, run centric but knows how to spread the ball around, seems to know how to groom quarterbacks and... physicality.  

Utah beat Oregon at it's own game (at least what I hear preached about Oregon's football identity)... run game, physicality, etc.    And with theoretically lesser talent if you put a lot of stock in recruiting rankings.   This to me says something about the coaching.

I have a ton of respect for KW and the entire Utah football staff.   They know how to coach and prepare their kids; how to identify kids that fit their schemes and how to adjust their schemes to their players strengths and weaknesses... they don't give a c*#p about their opponent, they know what they can do. then do/execute it.   

KW is hardnosed, doesn't say much (to the outside world), works hard, and is respectful (maybe in a crumudgeonly way at times).   I remember how he was when Pharoah Brown got really badly injured down there a few years ago, his concern and respect for Pharoah was heartfelt.   There seemed to be respect between the programs then.

I like Mario, I hope he stays and grows as a coach (but then I felt the same way about Helfrich, so what do I know).   I think stability at the head coaching position is important for any program.  It took KW awhile at Utah to get them to the Rose Bowl, but his teams were always tough contenders.

If Mario leaves because of his Mom's ailing health, I can understand that.  I have similar concerns about my own Mom.   But, I also suspect his Mom is probably a tough woman that would tell him... finish what you started.

Interesting times for sure.   Oregon has talent and resources.   But Eugene isn't Miami and Mom's count for a lot...  And outside of family, there are tax implications when you get paid as much as college head coaches do these days (there's a reason rich people retire to Florida).

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Thoughts on poaching Bill Musgrave?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, nw777b said:

I've always loved Bill Musgrave. Damn collarbone. 

If a top tier HC is worth 7.5 mil+, what's a top tier OC worth now?

On 12/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, nw777b said:

I love Bill Musgrave, he's a Duck hero/legend as a player.  He's bounced around a ton as a coach though and just got hooked up with Justin Wilcox at Cal (one or two years now I think).   Personally, I'd like to see a little more stability.  If he was a young upcoming buck with a ton of juice I wouldn't be as concerned.

And I have to wonder how MC would feel having an Oregon icon on his staff, that has coached in the NFL... would he feel intimidated?   It's a different kind of pressure.

And he couldn't get his nephew to Oregon, Luke is a Beaver... so, I have to question his recruiting chops (okay, just kidding sort of). 😉

Overall I think he's a solid coach.  Just not sure how the dynamic would be in the coaches room with him and MC and I don't know anything about his recruiting capabilities.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, nw777b said:

If a top tier HC is worth 7.5 mil+, what's a top tier OC worth now?

That is a great question!!   My guess would be, it depends on who the head coach is that the OC would be working under.

If the head coach let's the OC actually run the offense and call the offensive plays, I'd say the OC would be worth quite a bit subject to scoring/winning.   If the head coach stifles the ability of the OC to call and run his designed offense, then I think not much.

But, yeah great question.  In todays game a great OC should command a pretty substantial sum I would think.

Then again, maybe all coaches should be paid based on production (i.e. winning, scoring points, defensive stops, etc.).

Edited by Skibum
  • Thumbs Up 1

Musgrave has roughly a dozen employers since 1997, his career path is promotion then demotion and nobody has thought he is HC material.  Not sure if any of his NFL stops resulted exceptional results and the offense at Cal is pedestrian.  He was great as a Duck QB but hasn't shown anything to make me want him on staff.  We need an upgrade.

• Thumbs Up 3

He sure made his going out party a blast.  I really wish him well, something.  But I get being close to home, family is important.  Well, somewhere there is a bottle of Vodka, with my straw in it, so Thanks for the memories Jo, best wishes as you transition to your next stop.  Once a Duck. . . . now a Zip, best wishes.

I am curious what personnel control he had. Was it him or mario that was so resistant to trying out another option under center?