Haywarduck

If Mario Does Leave, What Should The Fans Do?

The more I think about this the more I think we should have a campaign to get Wilcox hired. Mullens has already showed he can be swayed by the players, they got Mario hired. How about us fans making the case for an Oregon native, Duck Football Alumni as the next coach at Oregon, if Mario leaves?

Oregon has a rich history of producing coaches. From John McKay, John Robinson and even Madden were Oregon Ducks. The problem is none of these guys ended up coaching at Oregon. It is time to see the beauty of what Oregon produces and creates. 

We produce talent and create winners. Time to take one of our own and make him and us a winner longterm. We should no longer chase after the next shiny thing.

I know if Mario leaves I will be writing my two cents to Mullens, even if it is only worth two cents!

5wqi9p.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Is this what we want to continue to be? Chip from the northeast leaves for the better job, Slick leaves for his dream job, Mario is undecided about going home. It is time to stop this merry go round.

5wqiv4.jpg

If he leaves I dont believe the sky will fall.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Wilcox would be a c- hire.  He’s done nothing at cal.

if he’s our coach get ready for a lot of top 30 recruiting classes (   Instead of top 10) and 7-5 or 8-4 seasons. 

Joe Brady or Petersen should be the priority.

going with a Wilcox because he’s an Oregon guy would be a huge mistake. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2021 at 2:40 PM, Southwest Duck said:

if he’s our coach get ready for a lot of top 30 recruiting classes (   Instead of top 10) and 7-5 or 8-4 seasons. 

Joe Brady or Peterson should be the priority.

going with a wilcox because he’s an Oregon guy would be a huge mistake. 

Brady would only use Oregon as a stepping stone/rehabilitation job before moving on.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 12/5/2021 at 11:40 AM, Southwest Duck said:

Joe Brady or Peterson should be the priority.

going with a wilcox because he’s an Oregon guy would be a huge mistake. 

I think getting back on the hiring the next great coach merry go round just leads to a gutted program. Do we want that?

I like everything Mario has said, but he hasn't delivered on what he has said. He didn't just add power football to our offense. In my experience people from Oregon say what they mean. I think Wilcox will say what he means and that would be refreshing. I don't want to go through another roller coaster ride with the same end result. We know what happens when the roller coaster ride ends.

5wqkgk.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Wilcox coaching at Cal and Wilcox coaching at Oregon are two very different things.

Do you think Cristobal would have been able to do anything at Cal either? No, Cal doesn't give a rip about football (or any sports for that matter) so saying Wilcox hasn't done anything at Cal doesn't mean anything.

Many of us fans (including me) are sick of out of staters getting home sick. Time to 'bring it all back home' as one of my favorite albums goes.

Wilcox for head coach

Musgraves or Helfrich for OC

Oregonians coaching the Ducks........a dream come true from my perspective.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't get the "hire Chris Petersen" line of thinking.  He spurned Oregon once because UW was the job he wanted and was willing to wait.  Two years ago he stepped down because coaching lost its allure.  He still works at Washington and I'm certain he was asked if we wanted to return to coaching during their recent search.  He could have written his own ticket.

Why would he come to Oregon?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, McDuck said:

I don't get the "hire Chris Petersen" line of thinking.  He spurned Oregon once because UW was the job he wanted and was willing to wait.  Two years ago he stepped down because coaching lost its allure.  He still works at Washington and I'm certain he was asked if we wanted to return to coaching during their recent search.  He could have written his own ticket.

8 million bucks? 

On 12/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, McDuck said:

I don't get the "hire Chris Peterson" line of thinking.  He spurned Oregon once because UW was the job he wanted and was willing to wait.  Two years ago he stepped down because coaching lost its allure.  He still works at Washington and I'm certain he was asked if we wanted to return to coaching during their recent search.  He could have written his own ticket.

I agree. He is tainted from working with the mutts. Damaged goods. 

"Bringing it all back home" should be our new motto.

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:47 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think getting back on the hiring the next great coach merry go round just leads to a gutted program. Do we want that?

I like everything Mario has said, but he hasn't delivered on what he has said. He didn't just add power football to our offense. In my experience people from Oregon say what they mean. I think Wilcox will say what he means and that would be refreshing. I don't want to go through another roller coaster ride with the same end result. We know what happens when the roller coaster ride ends.

5wqkgk.jpg

We should hire the best coach possible, period.

not the best coach that we think will stay forever 

this line of thinking will hold this program back.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:40 AM, Southwest Duck said:

Joe Brady or Petersen should be the priority.

going with a Wilcox because he’s an Oregon guy would be a huge mistake. 

On 12/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, C J said:

Cal doesn't give a rip about football (or any sports for that matter) so saying Wilcox hasn't done anything at Cal doesn't mean anything.

@Southwest Duck  is en flic in my opinion w/r/t the Wilcox assessment.  My (100% empathetic) belief is this is a lot of sentimentality overriding dispassionate assessment. 

Peterson is fried and I would caution people getting any serious attachment to that notion.  To his credit he knows it and isn't setting up some school to hire him only to have him churn out in 2-3 years.  

As to @C J comment...ouch! 🙂  I mean, yeah, we're bad but I think unless we resurrect the corpse of Phoebe Hearst, we (oddly) just don't have the crazy wealth to compete.  Also, we are more constrained by academics than other highly rated public universities.  Not sure why but I think this gives support to the 'rip' sentiment.

That said, rowing and rugby are hugely supported sports.  Cal and UW are bitter rivals in crew and both programs are always in the mix for a national title.  That isn't moving the hype needle but we do care about some sports... 

Edited by CalBear95

On 12/5/2021 at 12:20 PM, CalBear95 said:

but we do care about some sports...

That's cool and I respect that, but we are talking about coaching football here. 

Like I said, I know Justin Wilcox (and his brother Josh) personally.......or at least I used to since I played high school sports against them in the old Sky Em League for 3 seasons in the early 90's. So yeah I am biased about getting some local blood in the mix. Of course we saw how that went with Helfrich I suppose......but he suffered from the peter principle to a degree I have never seen. 

I feel like Glen Close sitting in her dark room turning the bed stand light on and off...  At the same time listening to Mat Kearney's Chip Don't Go.. from 9 years ago. This is insane.  

@C J I was joshing about Cal's broader commitment to sports.  It's almost as if the administration takes a perverse level of pride in their apathy.  Nobody is ever going to confuse us with a powerhouse on sports that capture the attention of most of the population.  So no worries.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wilcox would be a disaster...he's 25-28 at Cal.  If Oregon hires him, that's a wrap for competing for a NC any time in the near future.  Oregon would basically by signaling that its no longer trying to compete at that level and is content being a team with a cute mascot and a lot of gumption in the PNW. 

Just because someone grew up in the area doesn't mean they have any ability to move Oregon football forward.  I have never understood this notion that the ultimate dream is to return to where you grew up as the ultimate accomplishment.  I realize life is complicated and everyone has their own story, goals and ambitions but to me that would be a total failure.  

All that said, I am 100% onboard with MC returning home because if Oregon gets the right coach with the roster they have (MC is not the right coach), they will roll the Pac-12 the next couple years and could win a natty.

• Thumbs Up 2

REJOICE?!

Hire Oregon Men - Wilcox, Musgrave, Sirmon.

On 12/5/2021 at 3:37 PM, DCDuckfan said:

Wilcox would be a disaster...he's 25-28 at Cal.  If Oregon hires him, that's a wrap for competing for a NC any time in the near future.  Oregon would basically by signaling that its no longer trying to compete at that level and is content being a team with a cute mascot and a lot of gumption in the PNW. 

Just because someone grew up in the area doesn't mean they have any ability to move Oregon football forward.  I have never understood this notion that the ultimate dream is to return to where you grew up as the ultimate accomplishment.  I realize life is complicated and everyone has their own story, goals and ambitions but to me that would be a total failure.  

All that said, I am 100% onboard with MC returning home because if Oregon gets the right coach with the roster they have (MC is not the right coach), they will roll the Pac-12 the next couple years and could win a natty.

Man had zero support at CAL. Man is LOYAL to Oregon. Man has competed and defeated Oregon. Bring in another outsider and you will see the same. As soon as the guy gets bona fides he is off to greener pastures.

His record at CAL is not that far off from Mario's 62-60 record. He had zero recruiting support, budget and administrative support at CAL.

He would be far from a Disaster. A disaster is having far better rosters than opponents and losing to them or allowing them to stick around in the 4th Q.

He did not 'grow up in the area,' he balled out for Oregon. As did Sirmon and Musgrave.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:37 PM, DCDuckfan said:

Wilcox would be a disaster...he's 25-28 at Cal.

It's apples and oranges.

Coaching at Oregon with the resources he would have versus coaching at Cal is just not a fair comparison.

If we can get a great offensive mind to team up with him (Wilcox is a defensive minded guy) and you add in the kind of talent we have right now (Sewell and Flowe aren't going anywhere...I think) then Wilcox will really surprise you all with his knowledge of the x's and o's.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:44 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Man has competed and defeated Oregon

That logic also suggests Oregon should go hard after David Shaw who's only skills seem to be beating Oregon and embarrassing the P12 on the national stage.

It also brings Grinch into play.  

Point is, some teams play others better than others.  Yes, Cal hasn't provided all the support Wilcox could use but his QBs are always terrible.  And as we've seen, that really hobbles an offense and in turn wastes a defense.

Who knows?  I just think the Ducks would be hiring below the reality of the quality of their program.

• Thumbs Up 1

he balled out for Oregon. As did Sirmon and Musgrave.

The Oregon Triumvirate

3 ducks in a row - License, download or print for £14.88 | Photos | Picfair

Man had zero support at CAL. Man is LOYAL to Oregon. Man has competed and defeated Oregon. Bring in another outsider and you will see the same. As soon as the guy gets bona fides he is off to greener pastures.

His record at CAL is not that far off from Mario's 62-60 record. He had zero recruiting support, budget and administrative support at CAL.

He would be far from a Disaster. A disaster is having far better rosters than opponents and losing to them or allowing them to stick around in the 4th Q.

He did not 'grow up in the area,' he balled out for Oregon. As did Sirmon and Musgrave.

I never thought I would get a chance to correct Jon, but Justin and his brother Josh played for the Ducks and Junction City H.S.. Their dad Dave was a Duck and NFL Hall of Famer.