Steven A

Canzano's Update

Latest from John.  As you can see from the end of the article, his twitter will be updated.

Canzano: What I know about the Oregon Ducks coaching search coming clear - oregonlive.com

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing this over, Steven A, it does cut through the dense fog we're all in, and gives us a glimpse at the route the Coach search is taking. 

The only thing he knows is Mullens is in cover his ass mode, a smart move. Make people feel like they have been heard, he learned that from someone. I have no doubt he is talking to other boosters, but only answers to one booster.

What we need is to know who PK has working on this, and know what he thinks. Those are the meetings which would be interesting to hear. Mullens is going through the exercise of interviewing, talking to boosters while the real work is being done. Canzano is feeding off what Mullens is doing, less important.

Like with Altman, and when Kilkenny went on the jet to talk to candidates, there is real work being done behind the scenes. My bet is they aren't going to settle, but I am not betting and fully admit I have no clue.

Shameless plug, if you want to put your bet down, go to the contest thread and put down what you think!

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Steven. Reading this, why does Mullens still have a job? A 5 year extension for Helfrich? Followed by hiring 2 G5 coaches with losing records in the G5.

Mario won a consolation bowl game. Big whoop. He missed 2 playoffs with a ridiculous loss at ASU and with the best roster in the conference, barfing on The Farm and being blown out by a Utah team that had never won a conference title.

My take, like Hayward notes above, Mullens is just covering his sorry ass. 

• Like 1

I was listening to a podcast by James Crepea interviewing a Cal local reporter and it came off as he'd be really surprised if Wilcox took the Oregon job.  The gist of it was that he didn't think he'd like the publicity? notoriety? i can't think of the right word of being the HC at Oregon vs Cal and that the only reason he probably took the interview was he was frustrated by the problems COVID had caused for the program.  He also said he has really good support from the boosters at Cal and they usually step up whenever he needs something.

I'd be surprised if Kalani left his alma mater when they're already doing well and poised to jump to the Big 12 in a couple years.

I was at the Rose Bowl at the beginning of last year.  He won that one as well.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Mario won a consolation bowl game

On 12/10/2021 at 9:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

why does Mullens still have a job?

Not a jab at you, JJ, But, with this hire, and the Taggart, and Cristobal hires, PK had to have signed off on them. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, deschutesduck said:

I was listening to a podcast by James Crepea interviewing a Cal local reporter and it came off as he'd be really surprised if Wilcox took the Oregon job.  The gist of it was that he didn't think he'd like the publicity? notoriety? i can't think of the right word of being the HC at Oregon vs Cal and that the only reason he probably took the interview was he was frustrated by the problems COVID had caused for the program.  He also said he has really good support from the boosters at Cal and they usually step up whenever he needs something.

I'd be surprised if Kalani left his alma mater when they're already doing well and poised to jump to the Big 12 in a couple years.

With that news then It's Chip vs ? Thats not a good sign. Chip wouldn't be a disaster (8-4, 9-3) but there's better out there. Why settle for bottom round when you can have Filet Mignon?

On 12/10/2021 at 12:14 PM, AllOregon said:

I was at the Rose Bowl at the beginning of last year.  He won that one as well.

Are you referring to the win over 8-4 UCLA that Oregon almost threw away in the 4th quarter? I agree that was a good but a to be expected, win. With the roster Mario had, to not win a conference that is sending 6 teams bowling, is a failure. The SEC is sending 13 out of 14 team to bowl games. The B12 and the B1G are also sending the vast majority of their teams to bowl games. 

No reason the Ducks should not have won this conference in 2021. No reason the team should have retrogressed after the Ohio State game. Injuries? Every team in CFB suffers injuries, including Stanford and Utah.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 11:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks Steven. Reading this, why does Mullens still have a job? A 5 year extension for Helfrich? Followed by hiring 2 G5 coaches with losing records in the G5.

Mario won a consolation bowl game. Big whoop. He missed 2 playoffs with a ridiculous loss at ASU and with the best roster in the conference, barfing on The Farm and being blown out by a Utah team that had never won a conference title.

My take, like Hayward notes above, Mullens is just covering his sorry ass. 

Don't forget how incredibly high Chip was on Helfrich.  He viewed him as a "can't miss" and pushed extremely hard on his behalf.  I don't have heartburn over that decision by Mullens.  Taggert, on the other hand, was a big reach.  Swing and miss.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:20 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Are you referring to the win over 8-4 UCLA that Oregon almost threw away in the 4th quarter? I agree that was a good but a to be expected, win.

No, the Rose Bowl win January of 2020. How soon we forget Mario and Rob got us another one recently.  My point was Mario won more than just the consolation bowl game that was mentioned.

Guest Axel
On 12/10/2021 at 8:46 AM, Steven A said:

Latest from John.  As you can see from the end of the article, his twitter will be updated.

Canzano: What I know about the Oregon Ducks coaching search coming clear - oregonlive.com

Thanks, Steven A. As Canzano says in his article, the Ducks aren't known for making splashy head-coaching hires. I believe that's one more reason why Chip Kelly is the odds-on favorite for the job. I expect Oregon to make a conservative hire, and Kelly is a known commodity, the most successful coach in Ducks history. Can he repeat that success? I think Phil Knight believes that he can, and Knight's blessing is absolutely critical for whomever is chosen to succeed Mario Cristobal.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:24 AM, AllOregon said:

No, the Rose Bowl win January of 2020. How soon we forget Mario and Rob got us another one recently.  My point was Mario won more than just the consolation bowl game that was mentioned.

Huh? Oregon in 2020 lost the Fiesta Bowl to Iowa State. Mario at Oregon won the Rose Bowl on 1 occasion.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:20 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

With that news then It's Chip vs ? Thats not a good sign. Chip wouldn't be a disaster (8-4, 9-3) but there's better out there. Why settle for bottom round when you can have Filet Mignon?

No clue, but I kinda think it might wind up being a hire outside of those 3.  I also can't wrap my head around paying a $9 million buyout to UCLA to get chip before Jan 15th when it drops to zero... but on the other hand recruits and players would be freaking out if we didn't have a head coach for another month. 🤷‍♂️

No one could foresee dream school job openings when hiring the last to HC's. IMO it was bad luck on Oregons part. How do you protect

against that? Where's Chip want to go next? NFL was a bust. Does he think he can regain some of the magic if he comes back or is it the

money? He's doesn't need more money. Maybe he felt he left with unfinished business. I think thats a good reason for him personally to

come back. But who's knows

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Huh? Oregon in 2020 lost the Fiesta Bowl to Iowa State. Mario at Oregon one the Rose Bowl on 1 occasion.

The Rose Bowl win was January 2020, that is a fact.  And the point was Mario did more than just “win a consolation bowl game, big whoop.”  Just saying to include all facts.

• Like 1

Even though WT left for his "Dream School", I doubt he would have been any more successful here... 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/10/2021 at 9:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Huh? Oregon in 2020 lost the Fiesta Bowl to Iowa State. Mario at Oregon one the Rose Bowl on 1 occasion.

Oregon played Iowa State in Jan 2021 and lost, Jan 2020 was Rose Bowl Win against Wisconsin.  Mario been squeaking by for four years.  Good luck to him at Miami.  Now lets get us some Offense and Defense!

• Thumbs Up 2

While I predicted Chip when this whole shooting match began, the more I hear and read, the more I think he's going to stay put at UCLA. Coaching hires are a great chance for wily coaches to up their deal with their current employer, and Chip is nothing if not wily; plus Sexton, his agent, is about as wily as they come.

Chip knows what living in Eugene is like, and life for a man with means in Southern California is pretty sweet. Head coach at the University of Oregon is life in a fish bowl; head coach at UCLA, not so much. He has struggled to get UCLA where he wants them, and 8 wins and counting tells me he is making good and steady progress. While some of the UCLA faithful are dissatisfied, there is nothing like another place courting your guy to make you truly appreciate what you have.

I think Chip loved his time here, and has a true appreciation for Oregon's facilities and resources, but I think his final word to Mullens will be thanks, but no thanks. 

While rumor has it that Oregon is willing to pay their next coach a king's ransom, money isn't going to buy anyone on the wish list. I am almost certain Mario wouldn't have left for any other program than Miami. Most of the great coaches have spent years, and a fair amount of blood, sweat, and tears to build their programs. They love where they live and they love their players and their staffs; and they know that money can't buy you that kind of love.

Edited by latracey

Ok lets go with  Harsin! Young talented ,and poetic justice we win the Natty with the coach from the school that snatched the trophy away from us ! We take the title and Auburn’s head coach,! How sweet,,,,takes some of the sting out of that 36 yd. Missed FG !

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 10:38 AM, latracey said:

While I predicted Chip when this whole shooting match began, the more I hear and read, the more I think he's going to stay put at UCLA. Coaching hires are a great chance for wily coaches to up their deal with their current employer, and Chip is nothing if not wily; plus Sexton, his agent, is about as wily as they come.

Chip knows what living in Eugene is like, and life for a man with means in Southern California is pretty sweet. Head coach at the University of Oregon is life in a fish bowl; head coach at UCLA, not so much. He has struggled to get UCLA where he wants them, and 8 wins and counting tells me he is making good and steady progress.

I think Chip loved his time here, and has a true appreciation for Oregon's facilities and resources, but I think his final word to Mullens will be thanks, but no thanks. 

WHO AND HOW MANY COMMITTED PLAYERS WILL DE-COMMIT IF THE CHIPSTER IS RE-HIRED ?

In overstating the obvious here, whoever does their homework and best articulates a practical yet aspirational vision with some fire in their belly usually gets an offer. Knowing nothing else and admittedly nostalgic for a Chip redux, this seems to lean Wilcox imo.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:20 AM, Trudat75 said:

In overstating the obvious here, whoever does their homework and best articulates a practical yet aspirational vision with some fire in their belly usually gets an offer. Knowing nothing else and admittedly nostalgic for a Chip redux, this seems to lean Wilcox imo.

The belly winner would be Chip, but the only fire might be indigestion. Wilcox may have some fire, and maybe some aspirational vision as an Oregon alumni. Hard one to predict, time will tell.

I think this class is busted.  I can not blame them, the coaches that recruited them, for the most part, are gone or going.  And it is NOT like they know how they maybe used, until a HC is hired and coaching positions filled.  Hopefully, we do not suffer major transfer exodus.  Student athletes should know that Oregon will bring in the best position coaches possible.  I still believe in Feld and hope the Oregon, Nike connection is strong in him.

I am surprised that Joe Salave'a, was not mentioned as being considered for interim coach, considering his time here and titles/Associate HC, Co-Coordinator positions.  And with so many staff finding other positions, so soon.  Something does NOT smell right.  Cristobal, was supposed to be a sudden job switch but everyone and their brothers coach, got new gigs????  Makes you wonder why everyone is fleeing a 10-3 team, I get Mario but. . .  Too good to be true?

My sources (the voices in my head) are confirming that I have no idea who is going to be hired. You can book it!

• Haha 1

For what ever my opinion is worth.   

MC is to blame. After 4 years the Oregon culture was his. HIS....

It appears he was mentally threatened by his staff. 

Does anyone see where MC put Oregon first. He pit the blood, sweat and tears in. But not for Oregon.   

But for Mario. All his work paid off for MC. He's wearing Hurricane gear.