Haywarduck

Is Oregon A Quarterback Spoiled Program?

If you look at our qb history we have been blessed. If you look at our recent history we have been amazingly lucky!

Before Mario came we went through a Heisman qb, who was a 3* recruit. We then brought in a grad transfer who almost had better stats than Mr. Heisman. We then brought in an after thought 3* recruit Mario road to some great seasons. This guy became the NFL Rookie of the Year. 

Now under Mario, the recruiting magician, we have had success at recruiting, but less on the field with qb's. AB has been a let down, but has led the team to a 10 win season. This creates the question, are we just qb spoiled?

Should we even expect a Vernon Adams type qb to come in and run the program? Is it too much to expect what we have had before Mario, to happen again? Was it just Mario, or were we just lucky before, and our luck has run out?

I may be wrong but I think that every starting QB the Ducks had from Chris Miller in '84 to Dennis Dixon 2008 was at least drafted by the NFL. I've always considered the UO a QB school.

"A man makes his own luck". So no... the Ducks weren't lucky. They created the environment to have very good QB play. Just as they have at RB.

The Blue bloods aren't entitled to getting the greatest players or the greatest play out of players. Oregon will break the glass ceiling soon. We as fans, the alumni, the athletic department, players and coaches should expect no less.

On 12/26/2021 at 5:14 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I may be wrong but I think that every starting QB the Ducks had from Chris Miller in '84 to Dennis Dixon 2008 was at least drafted by the NFL. I've always considered the UO a QB school.

Agree, but we haven't had a Heisman winner, then a NFL Rookie of The Year, virtually back to back. We have had good college qb's who have been drafted. 

Now we seem to have maybe CFL talent, and what seems to be qb's struggling to get him off the field. Also we have never seen the recruiting talent, star rating, on the bench like these last few years, but they pale in comparison to our 3* days. 

I will also agree one makes their luck. Maybe our qb's have viewed themselves already lucky by getting recruited by Mario?

Something just seems wrong about our qb's and maybe even how we view our recent qb. A qb who leads a team to a 10 win record and he is a pariah. Most programs would love to have a qb lead them to 10 wins. Actually we would have in the past, maybe 20 years ago, I suppose.

We expect NFL talent at qb, at least 10 wins, and a good bowl game, the new Ducks. In the past we wanted a scrappy qb, a winning record, and any bowl game, times are changing.

It does depend upon how you view it, as high expectations at elite programs are the norm.  Calling continued success "spoiled" sounds strange to those accustomed to usual success.

We have had OBD members in the past tell others that Oregon fans are "spoiled" from the Chip Kelly years.  It was meant as a pejorative, and actually an example of "Throwing Group-Shade" upon those who disagreed with the low-scoring, ball-control offense of Cristobal.  I think it is "Okay" to expect good quarterbacking when we have watched so much good coaching identify high-upside quarterbacks, and then develop them into NFL Draft picks.

Raised expectations based upon delusion is silly, but raised expectations founded upon so many years of proven performance is not spoiled, but reasonable IMHO.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

AB’s passing abilities limited him to mainly a short yardage passing attack. He just was not a big threat to hit a receiver in stride beyond 5 to 6 yards. He could never bury a lesser team. We probably got the most from him and his abilities. 

Oregon is not QB spoiled. To have success simply requires good QB play. Therefore, we have had good QB ‘s.

We will have an NFL talented QB again. Don’t know when, but we will all know when we see him play. It’s usually obvious. 

Remember watching Herbert’s first start against UW at Autzen? We got pummeled, but it was obvious that we had found our starting QB. 

I raised the issue because I think it is the only way we can continue to win. It is the way we won before, and it will be the way we win going forward.

The reliance on the transfer portal may part of the way to the future, but a sustainable future needs to be the recruitment and development of an elite throwing qb. 

We should watch for this under Lanning and it will be a guide to how well the program is built and the sustainability of the program. 

Helfrich was fired and deep dissatisfaction was brewing under Cristobal in large part because of the lack of qb development.

I agree with most, we aren't so much spoiled, we just know that is the only way to get to the elite level. One of Lanning's critical jobs is to foster the development of in house qb's. If this happens his job is secure, and our program is restored. 

Qb development is another extremely important area Lanning will be judged over the coming years. The Bo Nix move is the right move, although only temporary, to ensure this happens, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you don’t have an adequate QB, it’s only natural to desire a better one.  I don’t get this whole line of questioning.  A QB is supposed to have certain skills.  If he doesn’t, you should look for a replacement.  End of story.

I think the Ducks have been pretty lucky with the QB room.  Not all of the multiple year starters were drafted, but every 2+ year starter was at the very least a good college QB.  I don't remember Pete Nelson in 1988 or Ryan Perry-Smith in 1996.  I was away in college in 1996, so that could be why I don't remember him.  I came back in 1997 to finish my last 2 years at U of O.

1984 Chris Miller     2003 Kellen Clemens  
1985 Chris Miller     2004 Kellen Clemens  
1986 Chris Miller 1st, 13th   2005 Kellen Clemens 2nd, 49th
1987 Bill Musgrave     2006 Dennis Dixon  
1988 Pete Nelson     2007 Dennis Dixon 5th, 156th
1989 Bill Musgrave     2008 Jeremiah Masoli  
1990 Bill Musgrave 4th, 106th   2009 Jeremiah Masoli Not Drafted
1991 Danny O'Neil     2010 Darron Thomas  
1992 Danny O'Neil     2011 Darron Thomas Not Drafted
1993 Danny O'Neil     2012 Marcus Mariota  
1994 Danny O'Neil Not Drafted   2013 Marcus Mariota  
1995 Tony Graziani 7th, 204th   2014 Marcus Mariota 1st, 2nd
1996 Ryan Perry-Smith Not Drafted   2015 Vernon Adams Not Drafted
1997 Akili Smith     2016 Justin Herbert  
1998 Akili Smith 1st, 3rd   2017 Justin Herbert  
1999 AJ Feeley 5th, 155th   2018 Justin Herbert  
2000 Joey Harrington     2019 Justin Herbert 1st, 6th
2001 Joey Harrington 1st, 3rd   2020 Tyler Shough  
2002 Jason Fife Not Drafted   2021 Anthony Brown  

On 12/27/2021 at 9:50 AM, Haywarduck said:

I raised the issue because I think it is the only way we can continue to win. It is the way we won before, and it will be the way we win going forward.

The reliance on the transfer portal may part of the way to the future, but a sustainable future needs to be the recruitment and development of an elite throwing qb. 

We should watch for this under Lanning and it will be a guide to how well the program is built and the sustainability of the program. 

Helfrich was fired and deep dissatisfaction was brewing under Cristobal in large part because of the lack of qb development.

I agree with most, we aren't so much spoiled, we just know that is the only way to get to the elite level. One of Lanning's critical jobs is to foster the development of in house qb's. If this happens his job is secure, and our program is restored. 

Qb development is another extremely important area Lanning will be judged over the coming years. The Bo Nix move is the right move, although only temporary, to ensure this happens, IMHO.

We'll see if Michigan cracks the mold with McNamara, from Reno, at QB starting against Georgia? For the most part, you do not win the playoff with a QB who is isn't going to at least get a long look from the NFL. If Stetson and not Bennett starts for UGA, Georgia is in a similar position to Michigan.

Interesting that in 2021 only 1 starting QB, Bama's Young, looks to be an NFL losk.

I'm surprised that O'Neil wasn't drafted, neat that Graziani was. Matt Cassel hardly played his 4 years at USC, but was picked in the 7th RD. by New England in 2005, and went on to have a 14 year career in the NFL.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:36 AM, Jon Joseph said:

For the most part, you do not win the playoff with a QB who is isn't going to at least get a long look from the NFL

That's right. Alabama being the exception to the rule with McCarron and McElvoy. Saban learned and now he has QB's like Tagovaiola and Heisman winner, Bryce Young. Clemson won with Watson & Lawrence. 

On 12/27/2021 at 9:44 AM, 30Duck said:

That's right. Alabama being the exception to the rule with McCarron and McElvoy. Saban learned and now he has QB's like Tagovaiola and Heisman winner, Bryce Young. Clemson won with Watson & Lawrence. 

Alabama went from focusing on the RB, Derick Henry, had Kamara transfer, to joining the qb focused club. It is no longer good enough to have a great RB, you need somebody who can throw it.

Mario's focus on a running qb isn't a sustainable plan. He looks to still be focused on this plan with the qb he recruited and the way he talks. Mario never moved from the bama of old.

We need to see the Ducks go back to recruiting and developing NFL worthy qb's. I look forward to this progression to the mean. The recent mean would be a huge improvement.