30Duck

Pay to Play in the Bowl Games?

Is this what it's come too? Could the Alamo Bowl have offered enough to KT to get him to play?

• Thumbs Up 1

And down the rabbit hole we go. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see how they could, he'll probably go in the top 5 of the draft which means he'll be getting a 4 year $30+ million contract.  You drop a few spots due to a serious injury you're not fully recovered from on draft day and you'll lose millions.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the 2% that have a chance to make The League, all games create the chance of injuries.

And as deshutesduck said, drop a few spots.............and you'll lose millions.

For just a small few the next step is their career. Though a short career, at best, getting that 2nd contract is the prize.

Hopefully someone in the room gives them sound advice. Protect the opportunity.

After all it's money that drives these non essential bowl games. TV money, sponsor money, people staying at hotels, eating at restaurants. Spending the money......

The players get trinkets, gifts and a free travel experiences. Yet they are the entertainment! Paying them seems right, to some degree.

Don't know what or how much....

Log Haulin posted

"And down the rabbit hole we go"

Do we really want to go there?

I agree with the above that even a 5 figure NIL for the bowl game would not get KT or any other potential top pick out of bed.

Oh, and that rabbit hole, we have been looking up ever since the BCS was formed.  Emmert took us so deep that we can't even see daylight above.

What is the ROI for the folks paying the freight? How many more eyeballs tune into the Alamo Bowl because KT decides to play for pay? KT is about to make millions of dollars. I do not see the financial incentive for the highest quality players and for the investor.

CFB desperately needs an expanded playoff with the bowls not necessarily relevant in the process. CFB is 'half-pregnant.' It is at the top levels, P5 at least, a professional sport continuing to pretend it is an amateur sport. And it also needs a demarcation, regardless of conference,  between the schools willing and able to pay to compete at the highest level and those that will not or simply cannot compete at the highest levels.

Why should  the soon to be millionaires play in any bowl game that simply does not matter. Why play in an exhibition game. 5 years from now people will recall the Playoff Champion, but the winner of the Peach Bowl when it it is not a semi-final site?

This patient needs surgery, not a crutch.

Josh Pate on Late Kick Live did a whole thing about fixing bowl season and part of his proposal was to pay players. 

I personally don't agree with it all but I do think that it is at the very least worth a watch and a listen. 

More than anything else I think the best way to get plays to opt into bowl games isn't just money but really highlighting any NFL scouts at the game. This may not influence some decisions like KT's because everyone knows what he can do already...

But there are a lot of players who are opting out now because they are in that limbo zone of will or won't they be drafted and the risk of injury may push them over into the not drafted... But maybe the risk is worth it if is is possible to elevate one's draft stock enough to get into the drafted category.

I think the biggest problem that the bowls have is that the games just don't really matter. Look at how many players come out of nowhere and become house hold names in just a few games/ weeks during March Madness. In that environment, you get to see who is just sleep walking while accumulating stats and who are the real team leaders that push their teams to victory.

I think it's in everybody's best interest to have a Sweet Sixteen playoff tournament that show cases what players can do when it really matters. A couple more NIT levels of playoffs would also help showcase the talents of many more players not on elite teams. It just seems like this would benefit everybody from players to Universities, media, bowl venues and the NFL. I don't see why this hasn't already been done yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/29/2021 at 12:47 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think it's in everybody's best interest to have a Sweet Sixteen playoff tournament that show cases what players can do when it really matters. A couple more NIT levels of playoffs would also help showcase the talents of many more players not on elite teams. It just seems like this would benefit everybody from players to Universities, media, bowl venues and the NFL. I don't see why this hasn't already been done yesterday.

This makes so much sense. Unfortunately the ESECPN is actively against anything that would benefit everybody and the NCAA is feckless. 

Seeing how much money that CBS makes on March Madness, you would think they would be all over a 16 or 32 team format.

The money grabbers at all the networks would want to bid on a real National Championship.

The model is already built at the FCS level. So the excuse of getting finals done or too many games is gone.

Continuity and momentum will not be lost with 3 to 4 week layoffs.

You build it the money grabbers will come.........

However,  first round picks may opt out to protect from injury. Transfer portal will be weekly as teams lose and end their season.

Can you imagine the TV fan interest? Conference Champs get the home field for first 2 rounds.

Wouldn't want to play the Utes on their home field in mid December.

Oh well, cost nothing to dream. Even foolish dreams.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, 30Duck said:

feckless

I love that word...so rarely used and so accurate in reference to the NCAA.

Another rarely used word that I love...."belay."  

(Bear with me, as we are all weird in our own way!)

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/29/2021 at 12:47 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think the biggest problem that the bowls have is that the games just don't really matter. Look at how many players come out of nowhere and become house hold names in just a few games/ weeks during March Madness. In that environment, you get to see who is just sleep walking while accumulating stats and who are the real team leaders that push their teams to victory.

1st Round: 16 OK at 1 Alabama; 14 Oregon at 3 Georgia. This would be the norm and the not the exception if bowl games had not co-opted the NCAA managing the 'big boy'  post season. Of course, the NCAA does conduct lower division playoffs with 16+ member schools participating. 

A 16 team CFB playoff would rain money down on the P5 and mean more money for the G5. And the games other than just the 3 meaningful Playoff games, would 'just mean more' for the teams and the players. There would be upsets all the way through the semi-finals.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1