Haywarduck

What Is A Coaching Commitment?

A coaching commitment goes both ways. If we sour on Dan or had on Mario then door would swing the other way. It isn't just the coach who can pull the trigger. 

I don't have a problem with coaches leaving Oregon as long as they leave it in better condition than when they came. Chip left Oregon in great shape, although his recommendation of Helfrich didn't work out. Helfrich then left Oregon in a mess. Taggart left Oregon on the edge of chaos. We were fortunate we were able to have backed off from that cliff. Mario leaves Oregon in much better shape than when he took over, kudos to him.

Dan Lanning job is to keep building and make sure the Oregon Football Program continues it's rise up the ladder of football programs. Does he owe us a lifetime commitment, no. I think he owes us at least 3 years, maybe 4. There should be a massive buyout at least until year 4. 

I would say his buyout should grow through year 4. If he has success at Oregon then he becomes more valuable, because we helped him get there. Maybe after 4 years the buyout begins to tail off, he has give us the commitment to build the program. From then on it is more about each being happy with each other. 

If we are real about it then after year 4 we start the discussion about his commitment and an exit strategy. He needs to have an assistant ready to be head coach. Maybe it is naive to think we should plan for Dan to leave, but something should be done to help ensure we don't endure another scenario we have seen repeatedly.

The problem in this whole formula is what if Dan becomes Mark, can't lead the team? I suppose we just owe him the $29ish million 6 year contract. It is a risk we had to take.

The big question is what is the commitment, on both sides? I don't think it has to be what Mario tried to sell us on, or even what Dan seems to indicate. I do think there are commitments, what should they be, how should it be structured?

• Thumbs Up 2

Haywarduck

Great topic. Your brain must never sleep?

In fairness to any AD or Coach, it's important to remember this is a business. In my 40 plus years of experience deciding who to hire is difficult.

Quessing who will succeed is difficult. Even with a previous track record or references.  Usually the deciding difference is how the person sells themselves. 

We often hear AD'S talk about how they were sold on a new coach based upon that new coaches vision and plan. Basically the new coach sold themselves.

So, a large buyout can help protect the school from poachers. But it is a double edge sword when the coach under performs.

It's a roll of the dice or a flip of a coin.

Throw in the boosters with their big dollars and high expectations and the final decision can get clouded.

Let's use Texas A & M and FSU as an example.  They saw the success that Jimbo Fisher had at FSU. The Aggies and their boosters wanted him bad. 10 years $75 million bad....

He got an extension and now gets $9 million per season. Fisher is a above average 34-14 thru 4 seasons. In a division where you can't lose 2 games  I wonder if Aggie fans and boosters are feeling a little let down? Left wanting more.....

After all Jimbo killed it at FSU. The man can coach and recruit. Since his departure the Seminoles have fallen hard. Their AD made at least 1 bad HC hire since Jimbo left.

So was Fishers success because he took over a powerhouse program at FSU? A program in a weak conference. Once Dabo turned Clemson around, FSU could not hold them off.

With Bama, LSU and Auburn on your schedule every year. 9-3 may be the Aggies peak. Jimbo is a top recruiter but can he coach against the top teams in the top division in all of college football?

Because it's a learning curve it may well depend on everyone's expectations.

Repeated 8-4 or 9-3 seasons at Oregon will not meet fans expectations. Not on this forum....

And not with Phil and big dollar boosters........

So coaches will come and go. Either fired by the school or looking for a different pasture.......

The Hurricanes proved that $9 million dollar buyouts mean very little. 

Just my opinion......

Ask yourself, we're you satisfied with the Ducks record the last 4 years? Or did you want more?

Depends on your expectations...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My expectations are the coaches make the players better student athletes.

What I was taken aback by was the discussion about the Utah football program. They started the season with one qb and a scheme designed for him. This didn't work out and they pivoted to design a new scheme for another qb. The switch was done in season and was successful.

Oregon on the other hand seemed to try and stuff a scheme down the throat of players not necessarily ideal for the personnel. We didn't have the big bruising back and didn't pass enough to allow for an effective running game against good teams. We were lucky we had a qb who proved to be resilient, tough, and up to the running expectations.

I don't expect so much as far as outcomes, wins, but I do expect progress, and good decisions. I am not sure our program is aligned with just seeing progress, they probably are now focused merely on wins. 

You're right about expectations, but what are those expectation focused on. Are we another program which can't accept a few hard fought losses, and the learning curve we undoubtedly will see? Times are a changing, expectations too.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really like that you expect progress and good decisions to be made..

The talent on the field deserves just that.. They made a great decision to come to Oregon.

ADAPT to the talent you brought it. What a novel idea. 

• Thumbs Up 1

During his introduction speech Lanning talked about how happy he was to be here at Oregon, that it was his dream job, that it was the premiere job in the nation. In a vacuum, Oregon has it all. No.1 facilities, a devoted fanbase, a generous donor, and an administration that wants to win.

Lanning saw all this when he left his coveted position as DC at Georgia. So far, as detailed in topics here, he's come out of the gate full speed. He's already shown an ability to communicate with current players and recruits.

We'll see what he does in game situations. The 2022 season is a tough one, it would be hard for me to call it 10-2 or bust with a seasoned coach in charge, let alone with so much new as this Oregon team will have. But I will be shocked if I see a team, that even when it wins, is boring. I'm not getting that from Lanning at all.

It might have just been me, but Helfrich always looked uncomfortable in the chair he sat in for post- game interviews. I expect that Lanning will look like it was made for him. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/2/2022 at 6:31 AM, Haywarduck said:

A coaching commitment goes both ways. If we sour on Dan or had on Mario then door would swing the other way. It isn't just the coach who can pull the trigger. 

I don't have a problem with coaches leaving Oregon as long as they leave it in better condition than when they came. Chip left Oregon in great shape, although his recommendation of Helfrich didn't work out. Helfrich then left Oregon in a mess. Taggart left Oregon on the edge of chaos. We were fortunate we were able to have backed off from that cliff. Mario leaves Oregon in much better shape than when he took over, kudos to him.

Dan Lanning job is to keep building and make sure the Oregon Football Program continues it's rise up the ladder of football programs. Does he owe us a lifetime commitment, no. I think he owes us at least 3 years, maybe 4. There should be a massive buyout at least until year 4. 

I would say his buyout should grow through year 4. If he has success at Oregon then he becomes more valuable, because we helped him get there. Maybe after 4 years the buyout begins to tail off, he has give us the commitment to build the program. From then on it is more about each being happy with each other. 

If we are real about it then after year 4 we start the discussion about his commitment and an exit strategy. He needs to have an assistant ready to be head coach. Maybe it is naive to think we should plan for Dan to leave, but something should be done to help ensure we don't endure another scenario we have seen repeatedly.

The problem in this whole formula is what if Dan becomes Mark, can't lead the team? I suppose we just owe him the $29ish million 6 year contract. It is a risk we had to take.

The big question is what is the commitment, on both sides? I don't think it has to be what Mario tried to sell us on, or even what Dan seems to indicate. I do think there are commitments, what should they be, how should it be structured?

I mean in reality H this should be a great job for anyone. You don't have to look very far from the recourses now at Oregon as in ridiculous so why leave is my point. The only thing I would love to see is a more seating capacity or build up Autzan to accommodate up to 70 thousand. Or build a brand new state of the art stadium with maybe the prospects of sharing it with a NFL franchise some day. The state of Oregon refuses to come into the 20th century in just about everything and I hate it. Phil has the money to build it many times over so I wish he would. Just my thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2022 at 8:55 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

The only thing I would love to see is a more seating capacity or build up Autzan to accommodate up to 70 thousand. Or build a brand new state of the art stadium with maybe the prospects of sharing it with a NFL franchise some day

Sometime in the distant past now there was actual thought of putting a dome on Autzen. But since, "it never rains in Autzen Stadium" that idea was scuttled. Attendance was increased but, I don't see the NFL coming to Oregon, where yes, 70,000 seats would be expected to be filled for games 8 times a week, in addition to the Ducks and Beavers games?

MaiTaiDuck

I love your forward thinking. The state of Oregon has not shown any interest in being part of the solution to bring big time sports to the state. 

Getting an NFL franchise would prove to be difficult, even with a state of the art facility.

One reason, just like San Antonio, Portland will never be forgiven for being founding members of the World Football League in the 70's. NFL owners don't forget or forgive.

Another is because the NFL cash cow,  the Networks, want and need more eyeballs. For decades the Networks were shown by fans that they would watch the nearest team.  Before Seattle, people in Spokane watched the Raiders, Chargers, Rams and 49ers.

When the Seahawks arrived the network found out that Medford fans wanted the Niners, Raiders and Chargers games. Medford gets those games to this day.

The NFL and the Networks consider Eugene and Portland the Seattle market. Ratings back that up..

As too adding seats at Autzen......

I know during the Chip/ Helfrich 6 year run their was a long waiting list for season tickets. Demand was thru the roof. My son had 4 season tickets. He sold his 4 Natty tickets for enough money to pay for 4 more seasons of tickets.

4-8 and 7-6 seasons killed that. Along with some less than exciting games the last 4 years. He has trouble giving those tickets away.

I would love to see more seats and luxury boxes. The additional revenue could be needed. Go to an 8 game conference schedule and the Ducks would always have 7 or 8 home games. Money in the bank.

The question would be is the demand high enough?

Probably would be if the play was exciting and if we annually made the CFP.

• Thumbs Up 3

Loving all the POV's in this thread, lot's to ponder for sure. I for one don't blame MC for leaving. nor do I look ill on any person moving on, player or coach. But, since we are talking coaches, the tenure of the coach is directly Reflecting on the AD. The AD has a responsibility to identify the right person for the job. Character, discipline, knowledge of the game, application along with results is mandatory. Money along with destination is a factor as well.

Let me clear with my opinion. Coaches do Not, and we should Not, expect exclusive devotion to any said school beyond what fits for both Coach and AD.  We have a responsibility to give it our all when we are hired. Be the best you can be. We should expect no less from the Coach. But, if any or all the metrics don't change, then you have the right to ponder options. Loyalty goes both ways. And, it's a business. No one is coming to Oregon because of pure loyalty, except the kids who are "paying" to come here.

If you are getting paid, then your loyalty is clear. It's to yourself and your family. This isn't a cynical outlook, it's simply a reality. Every single player wants to win, not lose. Every Coach goes to work trying to win every single game, not just most of them. And, every team should aspire to greatness! A National Championship should be every team members dream. If it's not, then why are you playing? My view of loyalty is not a losing season.

As a fan I want a winning season. If the Coach takes us to an 8-4 season, are we loyal? How about a 10-2 season? Are we still loyal? If we are being honest with ourselves, our loyalty is in segments. Loyal to the school. Loyal to the team. Loyal to the Coach and players. We can be loyal to the team but expect greatness from the players and Coaches. If not, then they are hurting the team with their contributions. Replacing them becomes necessary.

This is loyalty to the team, and be extension loyalty to ourselves. We demand a winning program. So, if the Coach wishes to stay or go, he has that right according to what he's loyal to the most, himself and his family. We should not expect any more than we expect from ourselves. 

• Like 1

The AD, Rob Mullens now, has a responsibility to keep his hand on the pulse and manage continuity of the coaches in the football program.

As football is the revenue-driver of UO sports, then his attention on football coaches must be high and constant.

Rob Mullens has been caught short a few times. The environment of football coaches and their contracts has changed. RM needs to get ahead of the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am most happy Mario is gone. He cane close to destroying the Oregon brand and his players were far too often not ready to play ball. He had the 12th best roster in the country and rarely had the team play close to this level. He had a losing record coming in and is 2 games over .500 going out. Recruiting champ and coaching clown.

I like the Lanning hire and I like the coaching staff Lanning is putting together. CFB is a big business, Lanning gets a $9 to 10 M offer down the road from a Big/SEC teams he's gone. That's business.

Today 2 teams in the Pac-12 are spending the money needed to compete at the highest level of CFB: USC and Oregon, with Utah close behind. The rest don't care and/or don't have the money.

If this hire does not work out then Mullens most certainly has to be shown the door.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:44 AM, Notalot said:

RM needs to get ahead of the game.

Let's hope he is.

In regard to coaching commitments, eventually very few leave on their own terms.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 11:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

If this hire does not work out then Mullens most certainly has to be shown the door.

I'm going to disagree on this one.

I think he has done a good job all around.  As you know, there are a lot of sports that he is in charge of and although football is the cash cow, he seems to have hit home runs in some of his other hires.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/2/2022 at 9:46 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

MaiTaiDuck

Another is because the NFL cash cow,  the Networks, want and need more eyeballs. For decades the Networks were shown by fans that they would watch the nearest team.  Before Seattle, people in Spokane watched the Raiders, Chargers, Rams and 49ers.

When the Seahawks arrived the network found out that Medford fans wanted the Niners, Raiders and Chargers games. Medford gets those games to this day.

And now I bet there's a huge audience in Portland who'd rather see Justin Herbert and the Chargers play instead of the stinking Seahawks. I know I do.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2022 at 2:04 PM, Steven A said:

Let's hope he is.

In regard to coaching commitments, eventually very few leave on their own terms.

Yes, let's hope so. Hope springs eternal.

History has seen Rob caught with his pants down around his ankles and it's not been a pretty sight.

On 1/2/2022 at 11:07 AM, toketeeman said:

And now I bet there's a huge audience in Portland who'd rather see Justin Herbert and the Chargers play instead of the stinking Seahawks. I know I do.

It would sure be nice to have those options without having to pay for the package.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2022 at 11:13 AM, Notalot said:

Yes, let's hope so. Hope springs eternal.

History has seen Rob caught with his pants down around his ankles and it's not been a pretty sight.

I think Mullens biggest mistakes have been Helfrich's contract and the whole slick deal, with his contract too. There should have been a bigger buyout with slick.  Mario made sure there was on with his contract. 

Mullens is an accountant, not a Human Resources expert. The accounting errors were his biggest mistakes and I hope he gets Lanning's contract correct. I hope he doesn't just follow the herd and leads on this one.

Lanning contract should make sure Oregon is compensated even more as his contract extends. He isn't worth as much this year as he would be in 4 year with success. Be innovative and demanding Oregon is protected, longterm.

I actually doubt he had too much to do with the Lanning hiring other than the contract, the financial side of it. There are smarter minds on this subject and also people who care greatly about the outcome.

Going back to those who just following the herd, it could be much like Oregon did with their marijuana laws. We just followed what Washington did, you could only buy 1 pound a day. It was an absurd amount, but the safe way was just to do what others had done, don't blame me. Fortunately this was questioned and changed.

I hope Mullens questions the buyout process and realizes if a coach says he wants to stay then incentivize his staying, and punish the leaving at the same rate. The salary goes up, so does the buyout. I would also like to see other ways we can assure the Oregon Football Program is protected from Lanning leaving us at an inopportune time. Maybe make the buyout double before the recruiting period is over, something, just earn you paycheck Mullens.

We need commitment with better, smarter accountability.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:43 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Haywarduck

Great topic. Your brain must never sleep?

In fairness to any AD or Coach, it's important to remember this is a business. In my 40 plus years of experience deciding who to hire is difficult.

Quessing who will succeed is difficult. Even with a previous track record or references.  Usually the deciding difference is how the person sells themselves. 

We often hear AD'S talk about how they were sold on a new coach based upon that new coaches vision and plan. Basically the new coach sold themselves.

So, a large buyout can help protect the school from poachers. But it is a double edge sword when the coach under performs.

It's a roll of the dice or a flip of a coin.

Throw in the boosters with their big dollars and high expectations and the final decision can get clouded.

Let's use Texas A & M and FSU as an example.  They saw the success that Jimbo Fisher had at FSU. The Aggies and their boosters wanted him bad. 10 years $75 million bad....

He got an extension and now gets $9 million per season. Fisher is a above average 34-14 thru 4 seasons. In a division where you can't lose 2 games  I wonder if Aggie fans and boosters are feeling a little let down? Left wanting more.....

After all Jimbo killed it at FSU. The man can coach and recruit. Since his departure the Seminoles have fallen hard. Their AD made at least 1 bad HC hire since Jimbo left.

So was Fishers success because he took over a powerhouse program at FSU? A program in a weak conference. Once Dabo turned Clemson around, FSU could not hold them off.

With Bama, LSU and Auburn on your schedule every year. 9-3 may be the Aggies peak. Jimbo is a top recruiter but can he coach against the top teams in the top division in all of college football?

Because it's a learning curve it may well depend on everyone's expectations.

Repeated 8-4 or 9-3 seasons at Oregon will not meet fans expectations. Not on this forum....

And not with Phil and big dollar boosters........

So coaches will come and go. Either fired by the school or looking for a different pasture.......

The Hurricanes proved that $9 million dollar buyouts mean very little. 

Just my opinion......

Ask yourself, we're you satisfied with the Ducks record the last 4 years? Or did you want more?

Depends on your expectations...

You could say A@M is as loaded as both BAMA and Georgia. What's going on at A@M to not be getting results with the product? You can also say the same things at Oregon though they may not be full of 4 and 5 stars and may never be but the results were a huge let down with the talent that far out weighed Utah's by a mile. Prime example is SC every year  like clock work all those sports media people that really had or have no clue about the sport most the time and just because they like sports and went to four years of journalism does not make a knowledgeable football analyst. They picked SC because they were always so loaded yet the product on the field failed. Why? Many reasons you could say.

Far from it and that's what were mostly bomb barded with now is all these ideas just like a guy who was supposed to be a football intelligent at the NFL level when he said anybody basically who takes Hebert should or would be fired. I mean that in itself was a bold statement. So what would make this guy say such an absurd thing? Well I guess most of could be to Mario not remotely knowing what he had and Arroyo along with Mario coast him that first pick in the draft. Hey I whole heartedly believe this is the case because he clearly only knows OL. 

Then you could also make a case that maybe he's not the best OL Coach out there because if you watch the Stanford and Utah games his O Line got punched in the mouth and one of his boring favorite lines he seemed to love. It got real old. Back to the A@M and I've heard and I don't know if this is true but someone said they pay all their O Lineman 50 grand. Well if it's allowed and I was Phil Knight I'd pay all my O Lineman 75 grand and he can afford that chump change all day long. Remember he's a Billionaire quite a few times over.

I've said it and this is the truth Oregon is a Business their football program and Phil is the business partner with the backing to make this all work and whether  he does this or not we will see soon enough. I'm thinking and this is just my opinion he's not in enough to make this all go towards what we've missed I'd say about at least 4 times and that's a NATTY. Nothing more nothing less. Its that proverbial saying S--- or get off the pot! He has no desire to buy the Blazers so the Ducks are obviously his baby and he needs to make baby feel a whole lot better.

Honestly I wish Shough would have stayed and played instead of Brown, but I did expect way more than what happened at the end. The thing is your team should be playing their best at season's end not losing 3 out of 4 to end what should have been a whole lot different. So this was clearly on Mario's inability to stay out of his own head and let the coach's you hired do their jobs and be willing to cut tie's with the one's who don't and this shouldn't be to hard because the one's that win all the time are the same coach's that don't have Mario issue's.