Duck 1972

The Fight Over the Future of College Sports is Here

I came across this article on Google Sports Illustrated/college by Ross Dellinger 1-20-22. It's really goes into what's going on with the issues.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the post. Pretty clear to me that the responsibility in all respects regarding CFB will be handed over to the P5/G5 by the NCAA. But this will not bring parity to CFB. CFB does not want parity. If it did Greg Sankey would be sharing SEC $ with Oregon State. The SEC would not allow Texas under the guise of NIL to pay $50K to every OL guy and would not allow under the same NIL guise, boosters at A+M to pay $70M to buy the No. 1 recruiting class.

The fight over CFB boils down to what conference(s) if any, will get rid of early signing day, place controls on open portal free agency, review and approve NIL deals to assure same are in concert with the intent of the state laws enabling NIL (while hoping for guidance from Congress,) continue to follow APR guidelines or not, and come to agreement on what the Playoff will look like come 2026. The NCAA convention will give more power to the P5 conferences especially. But each P5 conference is its own fiefdom with its own ruler(s) with their own respective goals. This is why I believe a CFB Super League is inevitable. More schools that can afford to play at the highest level of CFB will follow Oklahoma and Texas in a search for more power and more money.

Money will dictate the future of CFB and not a revised NCAA 'constitution.' In at least some cases, I hope that integrity will at least somewhat, rein in the love of money.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

New NCAA Constitution approved today by 80.4% of the membership. As expected. it's up to each division to regulate issues such as NIL, transfer portal, signing dates, eligibility rules, etc. Implied is that once rules and regulations are agreed upon,  enforcement will be left to the 'divisions' and not the NCAA. Much Ado About Nothing? The P5/G5/Notre Dame cannot agree on playoff expansion that would add close to $1B to the bottom line. They are going to agree on all the above noted and other issues?

Hello CFB Super League?

I heard on AM 1080 The Fan today a comment of the one thing the schools don't want is to have is the players being paid as employees. That's why 80% passed this new version of the constitution. They will do anything they can including kicking the can.

Again this might work out because if they have to pay the players as employees it will gut the money for all the other college sports CFB pays for. 

Let's see how it goes. Always hoping for the best.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, Duck 1972 said:

he schools don't want is to have is the players being paid as employees.

And whatever you pay football players as employees...you have to pay the same to Women athletes in all sports.  (The law)

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, this is one of the reasons that I believe CFB rights in the Super League will be assigned to 3rd parties who will own and operate the League and pay the players. The players will not be student-athletes of the assignor university. There will be a player's union, a HS draft and players will sign contracts limiting their right to transfer. In other words, the NFL at college level.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I heard on AM 1080 The Fan today a comment of the one thing the schools don't want is to have is the players being paid as employees. That's why 80% passed this new version of the constitution. They will do anything they can including kicking the can.

Again this might work out because if they have to pay the players as employees it will gut the money for all the other college sports CFB pays for. 

Let's see how it goes. Always hoping for the best.

Of course they don’t want to pay their employees, no employers do.  Yes the scholarships is costed out of the athletic department but is just received in the academic department with the employee often graduating with the debt that the scholarship doesn’t cover.  What employer doesn’t want their customers and employees paying them.  It’s an absolute failure of character in academia that is pervasive in multiple areas not just sports.

OK seriously, Greg Sankey as the co-chair of the "transformation committee" with Julie Cromer, AD at Ohio???  Yeah I'm sure she can keep him reined in (heavy sarcasm).

As if the SEC doesn't already have enough power, WTH!

On 1/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, Pocketchange said:

Of course they don’t want to pay their employees, no employers do.  Yes the scholarships is costed out of the athletic department but is just received in the academic department with the employee often graduating with the debt that the scholarship doesn’t cover.  What employer doesn’t want their customers and employees paying them.  It’s an absolute failure of character in academia that is pervasive in multiple areas not just sports.

Well stated. End athletic scholarships? Drop from P5 football to no football or Ivy League football? Terminate many the varsity sport that is today 'paid for' by football? One problem with the 'pure academic' approach is that for the most part, Pac-12 schools have nowhere close to the endowments of the Ivy League schools. The statement you make regarding an employer wanting employees paying them (I'm sorry but I do not 'get' the 'customer' reference) was the plaintiffs argument against the NCAA in the Alston case. The NCAA lost 9-0; thus, state laws approving NIL have the authority of the Supreme Court behind said laws.

Now, should a group of boosters be able to use NIL legislation in Texas to pay an incoming recruiting class $70M+? That's the rub. 

I'm not certain that I would go so far as to call the current model  a 'failure of character?' I think a number of people in good faith are trying to balance the old model against adequate compensation for the players involved in the 'money-ball' sports.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think this statement is spot on, 'there is going to be a rebirth.' Jon also points out the SEC commissioner is in charge of that rebirth, and he says 'what could go wrong?'

625gc5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/20/2022 at 9:54 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Charles, this is one of the reasons that I believe CFB rights in the Super League will be assigned to 3rd parties who will own and operate the League and pay the players. The players will not be student-athletes of the assignor university. There will be a player's union, a HS draft and players will sign contracts limiting their right to transfer. In other words, the NFL at college level.

And if that becomes the case...it is no longer a team that represents Oregon, and where are we left as fans?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/21/2022 at 12:37 PM, 30Duck said:

Man, how I'd love to sock-it to Livin' Larger Larry.

Had to read that article 3 times to wrap my head around all the complexity of issues. Ever have a bully on the play ground settle an issue? It often ended bloody...... In 7th and 8th grade we had a big athletic bully backed by twin brothers, Twins were 1 year younger. For almost 2 years, no one stood up to them. They picked on everyone and recess was dreaded. Occasionally somebody would challenge them. It did not end well. The collective group would not stand up to them.

One day, the bully was picking on, name calling and embarrassing a very sweet, shy girl. All of us, except the bully had been together since kindergarten or 1st grade. We were all friends. Bully showed up in 7th grade and had no friends. As tears rolled down her cheeks, I foolishly told the bully to stop. I told everyone to stop picking on her. She was a friend and I wanted this to stop! Immediately, the bully stepped into me and I did not even reach his shoulders. Was about to get the beating of my life. Just after the first blow landed on most of my face, to my surprise, 3 of my friends attacked the bully. As the twins moved into the frey, they were met by the rest of the 8th grade class. It was over quickly. The play ground changed because the group stood up to the bully.

Will the group stand up to the bully (Sankey and SEC)? Not a chance this will happen! It's going to be bloody and the bully will have his way.........

That article makes it clear that change is going to happen. Their are pros and cons but the bully holds all the cards. From all my 43 years in business I assure you that the PAC'S decision to not merge with with BIG12 will be detrimental in this process. One conference, 20 schools with a common cause to negotiate their collective interests. No amount of West Coast academic ignorance is going to stop this bully.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

A college draft! Maybe The dogs up north are gearing up for the number one pick because they might not win a game next year. 

Good thinking 🤔 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, 30Duck said:

Seldom have I looked at the sc roster and not wondered, what if, quite a few had become Ducks. I have actually felt sorry for many of the players for their decisions to become trojans. 

If Hufanga had come to Eugene instead of going to Compton, it may have had a huge impact on our defense. Instead he didn't really develop and became part of a losing program. He did become an all-conference player in his last season, but all conference was singular award. The program didn't become all conference. The award was given for the raw talent he came to the program with.

The trojans may again put together all conference talent, but can Riley harness that talent? I kind of hope he does until he meets Oregon and learns what a team of players can do as the season progresses. As they all come together to play like the Ducks of old and win, while the trojans, again, just sparkle as individuals, pound their chests, and wonder after it all is over, what if.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:42 AM, Haywarduck said:

Seldom have I looked at the sc roster and not wondered, what if, quite a few had become Ducks. I have actually felt sorry for many of the players for their decisions to become trojans. 

If Hufanga had come to Eugene instead of going to Compton, it may have had a huge impact on our defense. Instead he didn't really develop and became part of a losing program. He did become an all-conference player in his last season, but all conference was singular award. The program didn't become all conference. The award was given for the raw talent he came to the program with.

The trojans may again put together all conference talent, but can Riley harness that talent? I kind of hope he does until he meets Oregon and learns what a team of players can do as the season progresses. As they all come together to play like the Ducks of old and win, while the trojans, again, just sparkle as individuals, pound their chests, and wonder after it all is over, what if.

He was an under-coached out-of-control player. A less crazy version of Burflict. Hats off to Huf for the personal foul that helped the Ducks win the 2020 title.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, 30Duck said:

I doubt if it's all conference talent.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:17 PM, Haywarduck said:

I do think this statement is spot on, 'there is going to be a rebirth.' Jon also points out the SEC commissioner is in charge of that rebirth, and he says 'what could go wrong?'

625gc5.jpg

I don't 'get' the Transformation Committee from the get-go. Ohio University and the SEC are not on the same page talent-wise and finance-wise. The P5 at least in CFB should be stand alone and MAC and G5 schools IMO should not have a vote on how the P5 governs itself. 

This is a chance for the P5 to break away and manage its own affairs. Hard enough to do with 5 P5 commissioners. I for one do not want to see the G5 and the Notre Dame AD at the same table.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:24 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I don't 'get' the Transformation Committee from the get-go. The P5 at least in CFB should be stand alone and MAC and G5 schools IMO should not have a vote on how the P5 governs itself. 

This is a chance for the P5 to break away and manage its own affairs. Hard enough to do with 5 P5 commissioners. I for one do not want to see the G5 and the Notre Dame AD at the same table.

I would let ND in because of tradition and the largest fan base in CFB. Agreed the others should be out of D1 but problem is that their one of the selling point for "March Madness" and all kinds of commitment and contracs. I believe that's the reason for the mixed people on the Committee.

On 1/22/2022 at 6:09 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I would let ND in because of tradition and the largest fan base in CFB. Agreed the others should be out of D1 but problem is that their one of the selling point for "March Madness" and all kinds of commitment and contracs. I believe that's the reason for the mixed people on the Committee.

I'd let the Irish in if it joined the ACC as a football member. If ND joined the ACC, ACC could re-write its media deal and would likely agree to an expanded playoff before 2026.

Agreed but the ACC needs them more than they need the league. Isn't there any way they can stay independent? 

On 1/22/2022 at 8:18 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Agreed but the ACC needs them more than they need the league. Isn't there any way they can stay independent? 

The 12 playoff the ND AD helped craft would have helped ND stay independent. ND could never get 1 of the top 4 seeds and a 1st round bye, but with 6 conference champs in leaving 6 AL spots ND would have been in most years and hosting a 1st round game. I think much of the playoff hold up is due to Sankey being on the committee when he was poaching OK and TX and independent ND setting up a sweet deal to assure continued independence.

As GK has noted, the 12 team field idea never should have been released before being examined by and discussed with the B1G, ACC + Pac-12.

• Like 1