FishDuck Article

Did the Ohio State Victory Hatch Mario’s “Miami” Plan?

Look, I know you are all rolling-your-eyes at the title, but it is the off-season and a great time to ponder all the “what-ifs,” for fun about the football program we all love. As I look into it and reflect upon it, there seems to be more than just smoke surrounding the time in question. The three major players in ...

Source

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I would tend to believe that Mario had an exit plan all along but I can say that he did leave us in a better place than we were as far as recruiting to Oregon and such. Mario like Slick Willie was a Master Recruiter but not a head coach.  We are truly in a better place without Slick Willie and Mario.  Now we have a Master Recruiter and a Real Head Coach who I believe will lead us to the Promised Land.  Coach Lanning has assembled a very nice coaching staff and I'm excited to see how far we can go this year and in the years to come .  Go DUCKS!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Charles, as always thanks for another great topic to ponder. The whole Taggart, MC experience is difficult to digest, as a fan.

Makes me appreciate the continuity of head coaches we had from Brooks thru MH. We were truly fortunate.

MC was always going to Miami and I would call him a bold face liar to his face, if he said or implied otherwise. His crowning coaching jewel, the win in the shoe, set it all in motion. The Hurricane boosters, with deep pockets, had to have this coach now. So the check books flew open.

But it set in motion the Ducks getting a young, top notch DC as a coach. Let's hope he can become an equally top notch HC.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another great article, Charles.  And thanks for the links.  They are pretty damning and revealing of the process, and probably shared by lots of coaches (and execs) in the world of college sports.

As said above, I think we are now in a better place, coaching and recruiting-wise.  Charles, you were on MC early and often about his terrible game management and (micromanaged) game strategies.  I was late to your table in that regard...hoping MC just COULDN'T be that stubborn with regards to the offense especially.  But nope...he was.  And to me, it was a wasted opportunity to grow young qb's (among others) and to finish strong and with some....zeal and excitement.  But we were stuck with the old USC trope..."3 yards and a cloud of dust".  Gah.

Here is a big toast to Coach Lanning.  May he generate success AND excitement with our beloved Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Who's this Mario guy?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It bothers me that, looking back, in or around mid-November MC seemed to let his interest in Miami distract him in regard to coaching Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't imagine all of them don't keep future options in the back of their minds.  Hopefully Lanning can make a winner here and will look at Oregon as a final stop, not a stepping stone.  The "O" emblazoned on the big trophy multiple times

It would be interesting to know what he was thinking. I believe three things.

# 1 I believe our team peaked for the tOSU game rather than later in the season. To me this along with my other points explains the up and down performance of the team. 

# 2 the season ending injuries to our best players most important CJ Verdel and 2 many game to game injuries led to youth being forced to play to soon with a lack of cohesion being the result.

# 3. The above articles do indicate he had to be thinking about it. And really I don't know how it wouldn't have had an effect on himself and the team with all the added turmoil ( booing and injuries) surrounding it. 

I do believe he was doing what he felt was the best way for us to win, that his players loved to play for him and he's extremely driven. I do wish him the best. He left the Ducks better than what he found it.

Now we have a new coaching staff and future.

Go Ducks Fly High

I believe that all 3 of our backup QBs last year were capable of leading our offense. Perhaps better than AB. Playing tOSU early in the season ultimately sealed the QB rooms fate.

MC’s grind it out offensive style is built around the idea that his OL will wear out the opposing DL by the end of the game (yawn). Not what I would call innovative by any means.

AB fit into the grinder mold. With that style Oregon had one or two games where we had a comfortable lead, therefore nobody was able to let AB sit on the sidelines late in a game….that’s Cow Poo with the schedule we had. 

MC knew he was a prime candidate for the Miami job, and ultimately did enough to take his family back to Florida with a nice healthy raise. 

I am hopeful that the “pistol plunge” for a 2 yard loss has gone with him. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Guest Axel

I have three favorite topics to lampoon in this forum--the Washington Huskies, the USC Trojans, and Mario Cristobal, not necessarily in that order.

I was never fully sold on Cristobal. His competent recruiting could not overcome his incompetent coaching.

I have no problem with him ditching Oregon for Miami. In fact, I couldn’t be more delighted that he is gone. By every indication, the Ducks swapped a DeSoto (in Cristobal) for a Lamborghini (in Dan Lanning.)

My overriding criticism of Cristobal is that when the Ducks needed him most—to secure a spot in the College Football Playoff or to guide his team to the Rose Bowl, he was AWOL.

Oregon suffered two of its most humiliating losses in history at the hands of a beatable Utah team for the simple reason that Cristobal’s focus was 3,270 miles away. As a result of those debacles, Cristobal burned all of his goodwill with many Duck fans. 

I’ll continue to lampoon Cristobal when the opportunities arise. I look forward to watching his plodding, hippo-style offense send Hurricane fans into hydrophobic rage. And I thank everyone for supporting my GoFundMe page for Cristobal, which will pay him to stay east of the Mississippi River.

Fun off-season (there is such a thing these days?) take. 

"The reason why, I can't say. I have to let you go babe and right away!"

The predicate to Mario being gone? So long as he left before he entirely destroyed the brand, the reason 'why' matters not to me. Adios, Mario, don't let the door hit you in your butt on the way out.

On 2/25/2022 at 3:56 PM, Axel said:

I look forward to watching his plodding, hippo-style offense send Hurricane fans into hydrophobic rage.

Naw....that will never happen.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

This theory might help explain Jo Mo's sudden health decline 3 weeks later....