FishDuck Article

It’s Time for a Real Spring Game

The Spring Game is just a glorified scrimmage. It’s something all fans know, but we still get excited about the prospect of seeing new Oregon players show off their potential. It also gives fans something to talk about after a long and uneventful February. National Signing day is over, which is even less eventful now with the early signing period ...

Spring-Game-2014-Kevin-Cline-300x300-cro
FISHDUCK.COM

The Spring Game is just a glorified scrimmage. It's something all fans know, but we still get excited about the prospect of seeing new Oregon players show off...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks David. Not a bad idea. Depending on the quality of the FCS opponent. Playing Immaculate Word last spring would not have been a piece of cake. Heck, Stony Brook in the regular season wasn't a piece of cake.

I disagree a bit with the premise that The Citadel for instance, is going to drop football if it doesn't get a check from Alabama the penultimate weekend of the regular season. You hear this from SEC fans who want to justify playing a 3rd or even a 4th cupcake team in a given season. As we all know the SEC always puts 'the other fella first,' right?

There are hundreds of schools playing D3 and NAIA CFB that never get a nickel from playing a 'big boy' opponent.

I don't think the coaching staff would want the pressure, no matter how minimal, of having to win a 'real' game. I also think the staff can learn more by watching tape of Oregon players going against other Oregon players, rather than going against a physically overwhelmed opponent. 

Lots of guys would likely get the chance to play against an FCS opponent, but 11 on O and 11 D would have to 'officially' start. With the transfer portal in play I think most coaching staffs want the competition for starting positions to go into the fall. 

With the emphasis Coach Lanning has placed on spring game attendance and the marketing of this year's spring game it will be very interesting to see how many fans show up in Autzen?

At UGA, the stadium sells out for the spring game. True for many SEC teams and also for Clemson. The Ducks spring attendance has been pretty darn good; excellent compared to the rest of the conference.

Thanks again. Fun idea to ponder.

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe we shouldn't play a game with the thoughts Jon posted unless the coaches bought in and believe it would be a benefit.

Does anyone play a real spring game? Not that the NCAA could stop a caterpillar from crossing the street, but there might be rules about real games. I know some teams have traveled during spring practice.

Michigan has gone to Europe a couple times. Maybe Oregon could travel to Samoa and ensure any athlete worthy of a D1 scholarship will want to go to school in Eugene. At least they could go to Diamond Lake and have a fishing derby! 

I get it the spring game could be a bigger event for the fans. Spring practices could also be a bigger bonding experience for the players.  Maybe Lannings planning could include another event in the future? What would a bonding experience look like to you?

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

The way college football is headed I can see some of the nfl prospects opting out of a game like this for risk of injury. Bowl games are a good example of disinterest because of this very reason.

New coaches have had little time to work with the players and the offenses would struggle mightily against defenses. Some players aren’t even with the teams yet.

We’d all love to see some football but the negatives are too many and would the money be better than bowl games that nobody is watching anyway. 

A Sunny laid back Saturday at Autzen is a welcome day for most fans and the coaches and a great day for the kids to have a low stress environment to show some stuff to the fans and coaches.

Can’t wait.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

There are lots of variables that can be negotiated along the way. Like... how long should the starters play? Lots of the time the second half just has a running clock, would that be something that is negotiated in the creation of these potential games? Would the quarters be shorter? 

Not every FCS program needs the money the same way, I know programs like Portland State really need the cash but a program like North Dakota has some better funding. It would be unlikely that many programs would want to schedule a game against the likes of North Dakota who would probably be seen as too risky of a loss. 

I would also like to say these games would be optional... some programs don't even have a spring game because they just want another practice. But it would be nice to have an actual game played at the end of Spring. Granted, there are other problems like how much game prep can actually happen as most teams are just doing an install of their systems. 

On 3/29/2022 at 11:43 AM, David Marsh said:

There are lots of variables that can be negotiated along the way. Like... how long should the starters play? Lots of the time the second half just has a running clock, would that be something that is negotiated in the creation of these potential games? Would the quarters be shorter? 

Not every FCS program needs the money the same way, I know programs like Portland State really need the cash but a program like North Dakota has some better funding. It would be unlikely that many programs would want to schedule a game against the likes of North Dakota who would probably be seen as too risky of a loss. 

I would also like to say these games would be optional... some programs don't even have a spring game because they just want another practice. But it would be nice to have an actual game played at the end of Spring. Granted, there are other problems like how much game prep can actually happen as most teams are just doing an install of their systems. 

Arizona has North Dakota State on its schedule in 2022 - GULP!

Interesting idea, David. I like it.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:43 AM, David Marsh said:

Great points. I would love it if Oregon opened every regular season with a game versus Portland State in Autzen. Fans will be fired up to attend the opening game no matter the opponent and I believe it would be better to have a game in hand before playing Auburn, Georgia, etc.

If Oregon was to adopt your idea, IMO Portland State would be a perfect spring game opponent. Portland State would bring fans to the game; a game versus Southern Utah, not so much.

Nice thought, but no thank you.

Too much risk of injury for meaningless game. Spring is already so limited as to time spent with coaches, learning the offense or defense, learning to play as a team.

How would paying a team to play us, make $$ for the program?

The canned food drive is also an important part of community relations.

I do like it when it's team 1 against team 2 and not offense vs defense. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:22 AM, DanLduck said:

Nice thought, but no thank you.

Too much risk of injury for meaningless game. Spring is already so limited as to time spent with coaches, learning the offense or defense, learning to play as a team.

How would paying a team to play us, make $$ for the program?

The canned food drive is also an important part of community relations.

I do like it when it's team 1 against team 2 and not offense vs defense. 

In making the contract it could really be done in such a way to ensure less player exposure. 

Such as... First team can only play in the first half... Second team can play in the first half and 3rd quarter. 

Or running clock in the second half ... they can do a lot as to reduce the amount of time the starters are on the field. There could also be set rules for quarterbacks to wear non contact jerseys to keep quarterbacks from getting hit. 

As for making this a part of community relations... if there is a ticket price (even just a small one) send some of the proceeds to the food banks. In truth they tend to like cash anyways so they can buy the products they want in bulk rather than a mish-mash of cans. They won't turn down canned food. 

I also think that in Oregon's case that a team like Portland State would also be more regionally beneficial and community building than grabbing a team from outside of the PNW. And just playing a game that will create fan excitement and create interest for larger networks to carry a spring game would bring a good chunk of revenue. Right now the Spring Game really doesn't bring in much but it about giving back to the fans... but making it an actual game (or something that is closer to a real game) would make it into a revenue creator. 

• Like 1

I was in Missoula last week and seeing the Montana Grizzly stuff everywhere...brought joy to my heart thinking how they went to Seattle and beat the perple pooch mutts last year

• Thumbs Up 1

I would disagree with playing another school for the Spring game.

My opinion is that teaching time in the Spring is more important than seeing a "live" or real game.  The threat of significant injuries in an insignificant game is too much of a risk!

We had many injuries last season.  Those athletes will need a good healthy Spring without the risk of further injury.

This year we will be installing a new offense.and defense.  The learning curve for the athletes will be a challenge.  Adding game prep for an opponent would make it even more difficult!

• Thumbs Up 1

With a new coaching staff everyone is excited to see what they are getting on both sides of the ball. I am anxious to see this unfold as well. However, I can’t really say that a game against someone that you can beat by 50 points is a big learning experience.

I have season tickets, but drive down from Portland. In a few years, after the coaching staff is settled in, I can’t really see myself getting that excited about battling traffic for a few hours to watch a game with a known outcome. I give some of my tickets away for those types of games during the season. 

What I want to know is how they match up against much better opponents. In my opinion, the team’s second string is a much better match up to watch, and more players get an opportunity to show their stuff. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

The Spring Game is just a glorified scrimmage. It’s something all fans know, but we still get excited about the prospect of seeing new Oregon players show off their potential. It also gives fans something to talk about after a long and uneventful February. National Signing day is over, which is even less eventful now with the early signing period ...

Spring-Game-2014-Kevin-Cline-300x300-cro
FISHDUCK.COM

The Spring Game is just a glorified scrimmage. It's something all fans know, but we still get excited about the prospect of seeing new Oregon players show off...

Good ideas Dave and yes I would be thrilled to see our new staff in action because in the long run I feel these young coaches are not just good their all hard working Men. My only issue with the spring game is I certainly do not want to see " STAR " players getting carted off the field or limping off the field. Honestly I'd prefer to see Justin Flowe play a 14 game season is you know what I mean.

Besides with this crazy pay for play going on I just don't see CF succeeding very much longer. They have officially ruined this Game with paying players as if they deserve more free stuff besides a free education with a chance to play in the NFL. Honestly I'm just about done with all College sports.

Let's enjoy Oregon Sports for the next three years, as NIL/Portal will not impact things for the Ducks in that time, and see how it shakes out.  I am staying glued to this team as there will no impact in the near term, IMHO.

Mr. FishDuck