30Duck

Kayvon Goes No.5 to the New York Giants

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Top 10 streak for the Ducks continues: 3 years in a row.  Herbert was No.6 in 2020, Sewell, No.7 in 2021, now Thibodeaux goes No.5 in 2022. First from the Pac-12 so far in 2022. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Doesn't that make it 3 years in a row where Oregon produces a top 10 NFL draft pick? 

Herbert, Sewell and Thibodeux. 

I suppose that in itself is an achievement of Cristobal's. It will help his recruiting at Maimi and all these top draft picks will continue to elevate the Oregon program that he left. I suppose I can live with that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome for KT!!!!

Great! So glad he avoided career killing teams like Detroit and NY Jets! Go Kayvon!

Since the 2013 NFL Draft, Alabama and Oregon have both had 3 top 5 picks: 

Alabama: Cooper, 2015, Williams, 2019, Tagovvailoa, 2020.

Oregon: Jordan, 2013, Mariota, 2019, Thibodeaux, 2022.

The Falcons took WR, Drake London from USC for Marcus to throw to, and the Chargers took OG, Zion Johnson from Boston College. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Thibodeaux Goes No. 5 Overall To Giants

LAS VEGAS — Defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux was selected by the New York Giants with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft on Thursday night, giving the Oregon football program a top-10 selection for the third year in a row.

Oregon is one of three schools to have a top-10 pick in each of the last three NFL Drafts, along with Alabama and LSU.

Thibodeaux is Oregon’s first top-five selection since Marcus Mariota went No. 2 overall in 2015, and he joins Dion Jordan (No. 3, 2013) as the only UO defensive players to be taken in the top five. Overall, Thibodeaux is the seventh top-five pick in program history.

The fourth Duck ever to be named a unanimous all-American, Thibodeaux is Oregon’s 10th all-time top-10 pick and 20th first-round selection. He is the seventh top-10 draftee since 2000 and sixth since 2013, and he becomes the eighth defensive player to be selected in the first round.

A Los Angeles native, Thibodeaux becomes the ninth Duck to be drafted by the Giants. He will join former UO offensive lineman Shane Lemieux on New York’s roster.

Thibodeaux Goes No. 5 Overall to Giants

“I knew, I manifested it,” Thibodeaux said after the selection. “We had great talks. They FaceTimed me on the plane and they were excited to talk to me, and I knew it was time.

“It was just a blessing … Just to be a part of a family – an organization like this – it’s ridiculous.”

Thibodeaux enjoyed a dominant three-year career with the Ducks, tying for seventh in program history with 19.0 career sacks in 31 games. He made 34.5 career tackles for loss, and he is the first Oregon player ever to lead the team in both sacks and TFLs in three straight seasons.

A finalist for the Chuck Bednarik Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy in 2021, Thibodeaux became the first UO defensive player ever to earn unanimous all-America status while also receiving first-team all-Pac-12 honors for the second year in a row. Thibodeaux led Oregon with seven sacks and 12.0 tackles for loss in his final season despite missing multiple games due to injury.

One of the highest-regarded recruits in program history, Thibodeaux burst onto the scene as a freshman in 2019 and was named the Pac-12 Defensive Freshman of the Year. He set a program freshman record with nine sacks, and dominated in the conference title game with a Pac-12 Championship Game record 2.5 sacks and a blocked punt.

Thibodeaux will join a Giants organization that went 4-13 in 2021 and is entering its first season under new head coach Brian Daboll and general manager Joe Schoen.

Oregon All-Time First Round Picks
2022 – DE Kayvon Thibodeaux, No. 5 (New York Giants)

2021 – OT Penei Sewell, No. 7 (Detroit Lions)
2020 – QB Justin Herbert, No. 6 (Los Angeles Chargers)
2016 – DE DeForest Buckner, No. 7 (San Francisco 49ers)
2015 – QB Marcus Mariota, No. 2 (Tennessee Titans)
2015 – DT Arik Armstead, No. 15 (San Francisco 49ers)
2013 – OLB Dion Jordan, No. 3 (Miami Dolphins)
2013 – OG Kyle Long, No. 20 (Chicago Bears)
2008 – RB Jonathan Stewart, No. 13 (Carolina Panthers)
2006 – DT Haloti Ngata, No. 12 (Baltimore Ravens)
2002 – QB Joey Harrington, No. 3 (Detroit Lions)
1999 – QB Akili Smith, No. 3 (Cincinnati Bengals)
1996 – DB Alex Molden, No. 11 (New Orleans Saints)
1987 – QB Chris Miller, No. 13 (Atlanta Falcons)
1976 – DB Mario Clark, No. 18 (Buffalo Bills)
1975 – TE Russ Francis, No. 16 (New England Patriots)
1972 – WR Ahmad Rashad, No. 4 (St. Louis Cardinals)
1972 – OT Tim Drougas, No. 22 (Baltimore Colts)
1968 – DB Jim Smith, No. 12 (Washington)
1955 – QB George Shaw, No. 1 (Baltimore Colts)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Bobby Moore is still my favorite. Had a very good nfl career.

• Like 1

My biggest disappointment Akili Smith.

Speaking of 1st round picks, five of  national champion Georgia's defensive players went in the first round.  First time ever, I believe. Kudos to Lanning! 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/28/2022 at 9:09 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

five of  national champion Georgia's defensive players went in the first round.

Six, if you count #26, Jermaine Johnson who transferred from Georgia last year because he couldn't start to FSU.

Big shout out of congrats to Kayvon whose play I admired very much.

• Applause 1

Giants are my pro team, ever since the early 80s and I could turn on the TV properly! 

I am stoked!!!!!!!!!!! ❤️ 

I chuckled at this paragraph from a NY Times analyst's recap of Day 1.

Thibodeaux was a consensus All-America selection in 2021 and one of the top defenders in the nation for three years. The N.F.L.’s gossipmongers took an unexplained dislike to him this off-season, however, causing him to tumble below Walker and Hutchinson on the draft board. Justin Herbert, now a Pro Bowl quarterback for the Los Angeles Chargers, faced similar vague whispers when leaving Oregon in 2020. It’s worth noting that N.F.L. scouting departments are still full of men who think that anyone who chooses to play in the Pacific Northwest over Alabama or Texas must be a filthy hippie.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

That picture above kind of exemplifies the vibe that Thibbs gave the Fanbase. I was thinking of adding the caption, “Humility is my biggest asset!” But it was not part of the press release, and is sour grapes on my part.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

Congrats to him.

I've always thought he gave great effort and was a great citizen for oregon. 

Heck, he blocked a punt in the Rose Bowl!

I think the move to the big Apple will serve him well and will challenge him in a positive way.

Go Ducks 

On 4/29/2022 at 7:06 AM, Quackanadian said:

Giants are my pro team, ever since the early 80s and I could turn on the TV properly! 

I am stoked!!!!!!!!!!! ❤️ 

Great day 1. KT at 5 and the best OT in the draft, Evan Neal from Bama, at 7. 

Now, the Giants need to find a quality QB. This is probably not the season to do so? I note that QB Jones' contract was not extended.

• Thumbs Up 1