FishDuck Article

How Oregon Football Will EXPLODE Offensively in 2022

A new offense that will emerge? Alex always has a fun read...

Snag_26a2b80c-300x300-cropped.png?p=1950
FISHDUCK.COM

Dan Lanning took the helm as Our Beloved Ducks' new head football coach this offseason. In just a couple of months, we are going to see if he'

• Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Alex for writing about "the need for speed".  Like you I feel Our Beloved Ducks are primed to explode this season!

I'm looking for Cardwell, Dollars, and Whittington to surpass Verdell and Dye.  I know McGee and Hutson will give defenses fits all season. Thornton, Franklin, and Cota will go deep and will stretch the field. 

Our  tight ends  Matavao, Ferguson, and Webb will bring that position back to a passing threat.   They will be like Dickson, Pelle, Wrighster, and Breeland - past receiving threats!

I have confidence that our good linemen under the tutelage of Coach Klemm will make this all possible.

Speed kills!  Our Ducks are built for speed!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

As much as we’re all excited by the potential in the running back room for speed and making plays in space, I’m equally looking forward to the potential of both Jordan James (205) and Dante  Dowdell (210) to balance that attack on the inside, and keeping lbs and secondaries guessing.

Great article and what I expect to see is a team which takes advantage of weaknesses in the opposing defenses. Instead of an offense limited by our qb, and coach we will see an offense exposing opposing teams mismatches. 

The previous seasons we were limited by our coach and his penchant for preventing our offense. We also had a limited offensive weapon behind center. Whether it was Shough's panic runs, passes, or AB's limited abilities we couldn't take advantage of what a defense gave us. This will all change this season with a new chef and like any fine restaurant, a great staff. 

Dillingham sees the whole field and Lanning will let, expect him take advantage of those opportunities. This will be the biggest change in our offense. No longer will there be the occasional unexpected play where our coach is a nervous wreck. What we will see is the occasional unexpected play where our coaches are excited, and dreaming up the next new item to dish out to the crowd.

We will also see our weapons on the field knowing they will get the ball if they play hard, and smart. No longer will they be limited to the sideline pass or run up a specific gap. These players will be sent to where the defense has weaknesses. This will be the massive shift in what we will see on the field.

The coaching and the player use will be the biggest shift.  The coaches will be, like a chef, cooking up what is freshly given them farm to table. Whatever the farm, opposing coach give them we will see served up. No longer will we see the same menu over and over, even when the ingredients have become stale.

The players will also become the ingredients and if there becomes an unstoppable weapon it will stay on the menu. If there are limits to what can be created with a player then expect to see him when the course, of action, calls for him. That is the menu I want to see. Who knows what will be on the menu, you just know the chef can create something exciting out of the ingredients he has on the sideline!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/30/2022 at 8:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

The previous seasons we were limited by our coach and his penchant for preventing our offense.

Yeah. that was annoying.

• Haha 1

In the running for the, "Best Moniker EVER" is 30Duck's description of Mari's creation, as the "Prevent Offense!"

RB Stuffed_Asan Awan.jpg

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

There is much hype among the Duck fanbase about the offensive potential, yes, the talent level at the Skill spots is deep as it's ever been.

But I've said this over and over, the offensive sucess in explosion plays will be QB driven. Sure, coach Dilly can scheme getting our speedy skill guys in space, but the QB has to make the pre snap reads, get through the progressions, make the throws on time, and put the ball into the correct window to take care of the football. The WR's need to read pre snap the route they will run for the play called and watch the coverage they are running into as the play develops. Do you expect 1 on1 cover and run the route out or zone cover and you're going to find the hole to sit into?

That's 5 levels of execution the QB/WR's has to make consistently to have an explosive passing game. If the QB play fails at any of those levels on a continuing basis, then you end up with screen pass - dink and dunk passing game. 

QB/WR coaching is huge if we want to air the ball out this year in a more successful way than last year.

I get that Dillys Shot passing plays even if not completed will draw more Cover 2 defense to get the safeties out to the sidelines to defend the deep ball to our fast WR's. That should open up the passing game in the middle of the field and the run game into Cover 2 sets. The QB still has to execute all 4 levels to get what the Defense gives up in the middle of the field. 

It's not a given Bo Nix is going to execute consistently at an Elite level. Elite QB play is rare and 5-star QB's can be a bust. Look at DJ Uiagallie at Clemson a 99 grade 5-star. He hasn't executed at what I would call and Elite level and as such Clemson's offense is a QB limited system.

My expectation for this offense is that we will play with more Tempo with a 55-60% run to 45-40% pass ratio. I don't expect we are going to be flinging the ball all over the field like the Spring game. With the increased Tempo we will see the Shot plays, sideline to sideline plays to make the Defense defend the whole field.

I think Dilly is going to pound the ball into the 2 deep safety Cover 2 look, and he will take his deep shot when they put a safety in the in the Box and go Cover Zero. That is something we didn't do last year well. We ran into an 8 Man Box and when we did RPO a pass into an 8 Man Box it was still short route stuff. 

We can have an effective offense and get more explosion plays with Dilly's system next year. But I' pessimistic we are going have the type of QB play that will allow us to impose our passing game at will like CJ Stroud at The OSU and Bryce Young at Bama. I don't see Bo Nix slinging the ball 45 times a game for 400 plus yards every weekend. 

Bo Nix isn't a 1st round QB from what I have seen from him, and I think we will still be QB limited next year. 

• Great post! 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:31 AM, DazeNconfused said:

There is much hype among the Duck fanbase about the offensive potential, yes, the talent level at the Skill spots is deep as it's ever been.

But I've said this over and over, the offensive sucess in explosion plays will be QB driven. Sure, coach Dilly can scheme getting our speedy skill guys in space, but the QB has to make the pre snap reads, get through the progressions, make the throws on time, and put the ball into the correct window to take care of the football. The WR's need to read pre snap the route they will run for the play called and watch the coverage they are running into as the play develops. Do you expect 1 on1 cover and run the route out or zone cover and you're going to find the hole to sit into?

That's 5 levels of execution the QB/WR's has to make consistently to have an explosive passing game. If the QB play fails at any of those levels on a continuing basis, then you end up with screen pass - dink and dunk passing game. 

QB/WR coaching is huge if we want to air the ball out this year in a more successful way than last year.

I get that Dillys Shot passing plays even if not completed will draw more Cover 2 defense to get the safeties out to the sidelines to defend the deep ball to our fast WR's. That should open up the passing game in the middle of the field and the run game into Cover 2 sets. The QB still has to execute all 4 levels to get what the Defense gives up in the middle of the field. 

It's not a given Bo Nix is going to execute consistently at an Elite level. Elite QB play is rare and 5-star QB's can be a bust. Look at DJ Uiagallie at Clemson a 99 grade 5-star. He hasn't executed at what I would call and Elite level and as such Clemson's offense is a QB limited system.

My expectation for this offense is that we will play with more Tempo with a 55-60% run to 45-40% pass ratio. I don't expect we are going to be flinging the ball all over the field like the Spring game. With the increased Tempo we will see the Shot plays, sideline to sideline plays to make the Defense defend the whole field.

I think Dilly is going to pound the ball into the 2 deep safety Cover 2 look, and he will take his deep shot when they put a safety in the in the Box and go Cover Zero. That is something we didn't do last year well. We ran into an 8 Man Box and when we did RPO a pass into an 8 Man Box it was still short route stuff. 

We can have an effective offense and get more explosion plays with Dilly's system next year. But I' pessimistic we are going have the type of QB play that will allow us to impose our passing game at will like CJ Stroud at The OSU and Bryce Young at Bama. I don't see Bo Nix slinging the ball 45 times a game for 400 plus yards every weekend. 

Bo Nix isn't a 1st round QB from what I have seen from him, and I think we will still be QB limited next year. 

Bingo, the complexity of executing a passing attack is multi-faceted, but hinges on the QB. This is where the magic of Dillingham will either be applauded or criticized. There is an expectation, at this point, he will be able to turn Nix and others into what Oregon expects. Right now few expect anything other than flawless execution.

Well, I do not expect 400 yards passing in a game, because I believe Oregon wants to have a balanced offense with a superb running game balanced by a downfield passing attack.  It only takes a few long-balls in the early games to open up all the routes, especially for these tight ends, and it will help the running game that much better.

I really don't think Nix has to be a Herbert; just better than we had last year?

Dont'e Thornton and Bo Nix_Gary Breedlove.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/30/2022 at 10:49 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, I do not expect 400 yards passing, because I believe Oregon wants to have a balanced offense with a superb running game balanced by a downfield passing...

I really don't think Nix has to be a Herbert; just better than we had last year?

Yes

QB IS the position that will define their season (as it did last year).

As it's doubtful Nix (or anyone) will be #8 or #10, it will require a TEAM effort to excell. Everyone plays their part. 

As Nix will throw better than Brown ever did, and the offense is allowed to do more, they should improve. 

More O, healthy D - can't wait!

Look how close they were last year, and now...

We'll see

Go Ducks 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/30/2022 at 10:49 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, I do not expect 400 yards passing, because I believe Oregon wants to have a balanced offense with a superb running game balanced by a downfield passing attack.  It only takes a few long-balls in the early games to open up all the routes, especially for these tight ends, and it will help the running game that much better.

I 100% agree he has to be better than AB. Less missed throws are a given.

But the huge improving we need from Nix over AB is not missing the reads or the throw that would have been TD's. 

We saw AB miss the reads for open throws way too many times, and then when he made the read make a bad throw.

Is it fair of me to say AB missed 8-10 TD's on missed reads or bad throws?

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Alex, great thought, an explosive offense reappearing at Oregon!

I'm salivating at the idea!

Yes, Seven should have a great year. He will invoke memories of DAT often.

We won't need Bo or whichever QB starts, to win the Heisman. We just need consistent good play with few mistakes. 

Our team is still young so we will have mistakes. We just need to limit them.

We need to remember that Nix started THREE years in the SEC. He is very experienced. That is a big deal.

He will have better receivers to throw to. He will have a better OC. He won't have to do it by himself. He has great talent all around him.

I absolutely expect the offense to be much more explosive then the past 3 years. I think our running game will be even better. There are some studs in that RB room!

Last thought, our defense is going to help our offense be explosive by getting the ball back for them quickly. We will score more points just by having more offensive snaps.

Just wait, Duck football is going to be fun to watch again.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I would like to think the defense will give us more turnovers, and some short fields?

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

As long as our coaches don't keep our QB's on such a short leash and let them play. (Think Mario)

From what I have seen Nix looks to have the it factor and can make plays and make football fun again

• Applause 1

I read somewhere that Nix is projected #15 to win the Heisman.  Catch lightning in a bottle and he could be in the convo. He definitely has the talent around him. If that happens, even briefly,  and the Ducks are probably in position for a NY6 game at minimum. 

As far as being young I have to politely disagree.

Offense

QB Nix 4 yrs Butterfield 3 yrs Thompson 2 yrs

RB Dollars 4yrs Whittingham 3 yrs Caldwell 2 yrs Irvin 2 yrs

WR Cota 4 yrs Chapman 4 yrs Crocker 4 yrs Hudson 3 yrs Franklin 2 yrs Thornton 2 yrs. McGee 2 yrs

OL all of them 4+ yrs

Webb TE 4 yrs Herbert 3 yrs Ferguson 2 yrs Maldovo 2 yrs

Defense

DL DJ Johnson 4 yrs Dorlis 4 yrs Almavae 4 yrs Tamani 4 yrs Riley 4 yrs Rogers 4 yrs Ware Hudson 3 yrs 

LB Funa 4 yrs Swinson 4 yrs LaDuke 4 yrs Sewell 3 yrs Flowe 3 yrs Bassa 2 yrs Brown 2 yrs

Safety B Williams 4 yrs Stephens 4 yrs Hill 4 yrs Addison 4 yrs Bridges 4 yrs Greenfield 3 yrs

CB Gonzalez 3 yrs Manning 3 yrs Barkins 2 yrs Dickinson 2 yrs Florence 1 yrs Tucker 1 yrs Turner 1 yrs.

Remember that the most improvements are made between 1st and 2nd yrs. The frosh above are all 4* or better talent and played significant snaps last year. Imho they should explode this year.  

This same team went on the road last yr and beat tOSU so they aren't afraid of the big stage.

That's why I believe we are not a young team.

Go Ducks Fly High

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I think in many of those examples, you were adding this year as a year, when for example the two sophomore tight ends have not been here two years, they played last season and that was it.

If we’re going to talk about experience, we have to look at the actual years they played, not the years of eligibility in total, adding a Covid year, etc.

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I did it that way to expound on the difference between 1st and 2nd yr players. 

On 5/30/2022 at 3:11 PM, DUCKS4OUUO said:

As long as our coaches don't keep our QB's on such a short leash and let them play. (Think Mario)

From what I have seen Nix looks to have the it factor and can make plays and make football fun again

You bring up a point to consider. Lanning has Popo, Dorlus All Pac D Line guys back with Taki who was top 5 D line rated by PFF. He has Funa on one edge, DJ on the other, both top 100 guys. He has Flowe and Noah at LB with Manning at CB all 5 stars, with Gonzales at the other CB. Mix in all the other 4 stars and he has a loaded defense. 

If the defense is lights out and the QB can't protect the football the leash is going to shorten up right quick. Lanning has preached QB's taking care of the ball since day one. 

We all want to see high powered offense, but we have a defensive coach. If the offense gives up 10-14 first half points off turnovers, the leash is going on. If turnovers become a problem, then our offense is going to look a lot like Monken's at Georgia. Run first setting up safer play action passing that didn't put Lanning's defense in a bind. 

I just got a gut feeling this offense comes down to how Bo can manage this offense to the point he throws the ball way to live another down, and that's what good QB's do so you don't have to put a leash on them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lots of great points in this thread.  I am a skeptical optimist....in other words, I wan't to see some improvements before I can confidently predict a conference championship.

One unit not mentioned may seem to be a strength, but I wonder:  offensive line.  Hear me out....

MC and mini-me were supposed to be amongst the nation's best OL coaches.  We had highly rated recruits throughout the 2 deep.  I was expecting dominance.  Instead I saw 2.5 yards and a cloud of dust.  I saw QB's scrambling to make plays as protection broke down.  Overall, an anemic offense.

I suppose scheme could explain all of that.  Or, as with most complex systems, the problems were multi-causal.  If it is the latter, then OL execution was likely a significant factor.

Now....we have a different offense that seems to require much different execution....from the same group.  If system changes aren't enough to improve results, then we had better hope that Klemm is a far better coach than the last duo.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree hobbas, never was I impressed with MC’s o line. Plus the play rarely went with the blocking scheme. Dye was good at improvising to get most of his yards. I hope Klemm nfl experience will help these young men develop beyond high school ability.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not an O line coach, but I think scheme had a lot to do with the run game. From what I've learned watching the old Fishduck game film breakdowns, MC's blocking scheme was less effective than in Chip's days.

Also listening to coach Klemm speak, he was careful not to speak bad about previous Oline coach, but made it clear he was teaching new concepts and directions. It sounded like he fully believes he is coaching up our Oline in areas they were lacking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps my realism will get me in a little hot water this evening, but I still need to be sold that the offense will be significantly better next year. I do believe that Dillingham will be far more willing to open things up and has a commitment to getting our guys in 1:1 matchups (instead of pistol plunging them into oblivion). And that could very well yield instant results (heck -- I would love that!). But I have reservations...

I see folks talking about improved QB accuracy. No doubt that we need more from the QB position. My heart may not survive another season like 2021! But Anthony Brown completed 64% of his passes for ~3,000 yards. For a 7.7yd average. Those are all better than any Bo Nix season thus far. I know -- he played against SEC defenses with subpar talent and is a former 5 star recruit. I so want to be proven wrong! But what kind of improvement (statistically) are we asking for? Justin Herbert's 2019 campaign saw a completion percentage of 66.8% for 3,471 yds (8.1 avg). That feels like a stretch. Do we think that's where Nix lands? Again, I'd like to be proven wrong but I'm skeptical. 

I expect bumps with a new coordinator. And Nix's career performance doesn't scream to me that he is a lock to immediately send our offense into the Chip Kelly stratosphere.

My sincere hope is for improvement. I could see Offensive PPG at 34 and Defensive PPG under 23 (would have put us in the Top 4 Pac 12 defenses this year). I want to don my green glasses and dream of vast improvement but -- I may need a little more nudging first.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo stats are against SEC defenses so it’s pretty hard to compare him with AB. The eye test was pretty bad when evaluating AB. Guy couldn’t hit the side of a barn at times and his throws were almost always late. He was extremely slow to make his reads for sure.

• Thumbs Up 3