FishDuck Article

Unlimited Official Visits Will Only Make College Football Worse

This is an important article with a surprising observation about it's impact on Oregon...

Franklin-and-Butterfield-Spring-Game-202
FISHDUCK.COM

College Football has always been composed of the "haves" and "have-nots" and that isn't going to change, but there is a desire to make the sport more...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I think the transfer portal, as soon as a kid proves he is elite he is gone, will do more damage to the lower tiered schools. The whole NIL will also have a larger impact, but the visitation situation is just another punch in the gut at the way it use to be.

Oregon will also have to be careful as we might become the amusement park everyone wants to see. How many kids actually are considering Oregon, or are they just wanting a free trip to see the best facilities in the nation. With unlimited official visits Oregon could become an add on after the decision is made.

If there is one thing for sure the NCAA is a toothless megalodon, destined for extinction.

Increasing options for prospective employees will only increase competition for them. The old, corrupt system that was the NCAA already created haves and have not.  The reason why Alabama and Ohio (the haves) are upset of the deregulation of their labor market is  because it promotes competition for that labor and it threatens the elitist schools privileged status. 

On 6/7/2022 at 5:24 AM, Haywarduck said:

Oregon will also have to be careful as we might become the amusement park everyone wants to see. How many kids actually are considering Oregon, or are they just wanting a free trip to see the best facilities in the nation. With unlimited official visits Oregon could become an add on after the decision is made.

Super happy you brought this up Haywardduck. 

This didn't make the final cut of my article but official visits do have a major impact on a programs ability to land recruits and even just bringing some recruits to campus who might only be thinking of Oregon as another hat in the table can be a game changer. 

Of course the staff doesn't want Oregon to just be a fun place to visit and not land anyone but they also use some of their official visits on long shots. Get those kids on campus, even if it doesn't seem likely they will come to Oregon. KT was really one of those kids. He didn't take Oregon seriously until he visited, and it didn't hurt that it was for the Washington game. 

I will probably do a deeper dive into this at a later date as I find the Helfrich era so interesting... But we often forget the impact of the Chip Kelly and Willie Lyles fiasco. (By the way... No one named Willie has turned out to be a good thing for Oregon). 

One of the sanctions put on Oregon was a yearly reduction of official visits from 56 to 37. This had a huge impact on recruiting as Oregon couldn't afford to use official visits on long shot recruits. They needed to use those visits on recruits who were actually considering Oregon. 

Overall Helfrich did recruit effectively within the norm for Oregon recruiting standards of the time, especially considering the sanctions. More on those in a future article. 

Mark-Helfrich-v-Washingotn-2015-John-Spe
FISHDUCK.COM

Mark Helfrich is generally considered the worst recruiter in modern Oregon football history. He is a coach who...

Recruiting is a mess of interconnected elements. 

• Thumbs Up 1

NIL and the Portal are problems.  Unlimited officials will be too.  What about, a kid gets 10, a school gets 112?  Lanning hinted at the loss of time with their families for coaches.  Those guys all work insane hours as it is, but those 5* kids from SEC country, this is the way to get more of them to Eugene.  Some may just want to see the world's best facilities, but some will see Oregon as a legit contender, and we may end up getting more of those type of elite recruits.

I already see this staff as coaches who can DEVELOP the players, which Mari Cristbal and staff didn't seem to do.  The schemes will be WAY better, which = wins.  We'll see this fall.  A big season with the existing talent could reap huge reward for the class of '23, let alone classes down the road.  Development will make kids believe OREGON will be as good as anywhere to help get to the League.  Playing for natty's doesn't hurt either.

While the toothless state of the NCAA certainly gives the impression of relinquishing any responsibility for the governing of college sports, I wouldn’t drop the entire blame on them. For me, it’s just another reason for SCOTUS to revisit their hasty decision to effectively remove the ‘student’ part from the ‘student-athlete’ equation.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:17 AM, David Marsh said:

Super happy you brought this up Haywardduck. 

This didn't make the final cut of my article but official visits do have a major impact on a programs ability to land recruits and even just bringing some recruits to campus who might only be thinking of Oregon as another hat in the table can be a game changer. 

Of course the staff doesn't want Oregon to just be a fun place to visit and not land anyone but they also use some of their official visits on long shots. Get those kids on campus, even if it doesn't seem likely they will come to Oregon. KT was really one of those kids. He didn't take Oregon seriously until he visited, and it didn't hurt that it was for the Washington game. 

I will probably do a deeper dive into this at a later date as I find the Helfrich era so interesting... But we often forget the impact of the Chip Kelly and Willie Lyles fiasco. (By the way... No one named Willie has turned out to be a good thing for Oregon). 

One of the sanctions put on Oregon was a yearly reduction of official visits from 56 to 37. This had a huge impact on recruiting as Oregon couldn't afford to use official visits on long shot recruits. They needed to use those visits on recruits who were actually considering Oregon. 

Overall Helfrich did recruit effectively within the norm for Oregon recruiting standards of the time, especially considering the sanctions. More on those in a future article. 

Mark-Helfrich-v-Washingotn-2015-John-Spe
FISHDUCK.COM

Mark Helfrich is generally considered the worst recruiter in modern Oregon football history. He is a coach who...

Recruiting is a mess of interconnected elements. 

I have to chime in on the whole Helfrich legacy discussion. Helfrich was a very good coach, and I wanted him to succeed as much as anyone. The fact is he didn't improve on the Chip Kelly's recruiting legacy, and that is how we should evaluate his recruiting history.

Helfrich came in after Kelly had improved our recruiting, and our standing, ability too recruit. Comparing Kelly's first year of recruiting against all of Helfrich's recruiting doesn't give a true perspective. While Helfrich's coaching, scheme allowed the players to continue to excel on the field, for a while, it didn't build off that success in recruiting.

Recruiting is easier when you have success, and Helfrich should have been able to exceed Kelly's recruiting and he didn't. He sucked at recruiting, bottomline. Putting perfume on a pig can make it smell better, but it is still a pig.

The reason slick and Mario were able to recruit to Oregon is because of what Kelly had done, and really the coaching success Helfrich had. They knew it, the student athletes wanted to believe they could be just like Mike, no not Mike, but our greats. The wanted to be like DAT, Marcus and others. Helfrich and Frost were dead wrong about recruiting to Oregon.

Sanctions do make a big difference in recruiting. Just ask USC!

On 6/7/2022 at 8:17 AM, David Marsh said:

(By the way... No one named Willie has turned out to be a good thing for Oregon). 

OK David, you are known for your great articles that provoke thought and discussion, and I never thought of you as a comedian....but THAT is funny!

Liar Taggart Mike Merrell.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Unlimited official visits for recruits will not make college football worse. Unlimited visits changes things. The recruiters and staff will need to adjust to the new environment.

Excellence will require keen pre-visit player evaluations, visit involvement of more staff members, effective time management, and prioritization of tasks. 

Accurate assessments of the character, motivations, goals, influencers, and monitoring changes throughout the recruiting cycle are more important than ever with more visits possible.

Those who will benefit most with the increased visits will be those who understand the character and motivations of the prospect before offering an official visit with high confidence the prospect will be signed. Also, the programs that identify weakness and stop investing time and resources into recruits with low probabilities of adding value to the program.

The number of official visits will vary from year to year depending the needs of the team and the quality of the class. It is important that the coach’s time spent on visitors is reasonable and productive.

Winnowing the wheat from the chaff will be more important than ever in recruiting. In business this process is known as qualifying the prospect.  If doubts cannot be satisfied and too many questions remain, then it is better to bail out and move on rather than committing more time and resources to the relationship.

Edited by Notalot
  • Applause 2

It just adds to our staff having to out work the staffs that have the advantage of the top recruits being close by. It's like they're not having to do it already.

Does more visits help or hinder them? When DL was asked the question of whether he liked the idea of unlimited visits he wondered when he and his coaches would have time for a family life. That's just sad 😥

On 6/7/2022 at 12:41 PM, Duck 1972 said:

It just adds to our staff having to out work the staffs that have the advantage of the top recruits being close by. It's like they're not having to do it already.

Does more visits help or hinder them? When DL was asked the question of whether he liked the idea of unlimited visits he wondered when he and his coaches would have time for a family life. That's just sad 😥

I know coaches wouldn't like it at all... Though I do believe that Oregon would be one of the few schools that would potentially benefit from unlimited official visits, as Oregon has the resources to put towards recruiting that most other schools do not. 

I do think that recruiting has gotten completely out of control and is continuing to get out of control.

• Thanks 1