Notalot

DB's Have Powledge Power

If you have concerns about the defensive backfield you might enjoy this update.

Edited by Notalot
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The talent is certainly there. I'm just looking for scheme to match the talent. Don't let the opposing team have a massive underneath cushion to play with... Make the opposing quarterback throw through small windows. 

I think we'll see a big jump in play this year. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I agree with both Notalot and David Marsh, the talent is on this roster. The secondary took its lumps in the Spring game but turned in the type of plays that swing momentum.

Key defensive injuries, soft cushions and overall schemes allowed teams to stay in games that should have been blow outs. Or take a loss to the referee assisted Stanford come back victory. (once again I threw up in my mouth)

Key defensive injuries did allow many talented youngsters to gain valuable playing time. Hopefully they can gel together and mesh in the Coach Lanning system. It will be exciting to watch them grow as a unit. There will be painful moments, for sure.......

May be this year with the throttle wide open and the shackles removed the offense can make those 3rd down conversions. The kind that close out games with a W.

This years schedule features some potent offenses that will challenge our Ducks. Georgia (maybe twice), EWU,  BYU, WSU, UCLA, Utah (maybe twice) possibly USC, and whoever we play before that rematch with Georgia for The Natty. (14-1 and a Natty is possible! Not likely but possible)

The Duck D could play great and still give up 40 points to any of these teams. (Maybe not EWU).

The Duck O will probably need to average 40 plus to win some of these games. Throwing reckless interceptions or pick sixes wont help the Ducks. And remember, Georgia plays defense at an A+ level. Utah plays D at an A level.

The O needs to score big and force their opponents to play catch up. With up front pressure this secondary will get some easy interceptions. Only the D will keep us in the game against the real DAWGS and the Utes.

Go Ducks. The day is drawing closer. Buy into Coach Lanning's system and execute your assignments. That will be the difference between 14-1 and 9-4.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

As I go over the Spring Game, (and there will be a couple more analyses coming up this summer) one thing I noted is how badly the safeties got burned and how often.   Bridges had a pick-six because the pass was thrown behind the receiver, not because of the coverage.  However, it was an incredible acrobatic catch to pull it in and stay on his feet.

Bennett Williams was trailing a ton of plays or simply could not stop some TDs.  I am going to hope that it is because of the offense exploding due to matchups and schemes.  But the experience in the defensive backfield is comforting, and gives me hope for the fall.

Williams in a showdown with a Buckeye Running Back...  (For those with desktop or pad...the picture below is the background photo at the top of the forum!)

Bennett ODFB Oregon Vs Ohio St-0272.JPG

• Oh no! 1

Mr. FishDuck

We shall see

The back end as a group is Oregons weak link. Mostly based on experience, which is HUGE for DBs.

I don't put too much stock into the Spring Game, as split squads hurt the D most. 

But we'll see. It's a concern 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 6/12/2022 at 7:43 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

The secondary took its lumps in the Spring game but turned in the type of plays that swing momentum.

Of course, the D Line was playing flag football, so the QBs had more time than in a real game situation.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/12/2022 at 10:03 AM, shawnski said:

We shall see

The back end as a group is Oregons weak link. Mostly based on experience, which is HUGE for DBs.

I don't put too much stock into the Spring Game, as split squads hurt the D most. 

But we'll see. It's a concern 

One thing we can take from the split squads is both coordinators ultimately executed ( took the defense a half to adjust).

I like Williams at safety over Hill, BUT Hill did improve this spring.  

The first play of the  Spring Game  an example of Dillingham exploiting decision conflicts in the secondary ( the safety had to choose between two "evil" choices).  That gave Nix an easy throw.  The type that keeps him out of trouble.

Nix will have tight windows he must complete accurately (against the more talented defenses).   Moving the pocket will help in his case when he starts to get consistent pressure in my opinion.  Max protection ( 7 blockers) is another option (I'd run the burners on  crossing patterns so they can separate in that scenario).  

I personally believe the defense is going to surprise lots of people.  And the offense will be more explosive if and only if we expose and exploit a defense's weaknesses early and often.

Can't wait until fall!!!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Spring games we always tough to determine. 

What's the pass rush going to look like with starters? How will the starting secondary work together? 

On top of all of that... The offense started out hot and then cooked way down as the defense took control of the game. 

Now imagine we have a hot firing offense out the gate and the defense follows up with a few stops. 

14-0 creates one crazy mental dynamic for opposing teams to deal with. This is what made so many Kelly -Helfrich teams so deadly. If a team is playing in a hole they will get more desperate. The more desperate, the more mistakes and that leads to more Oregon points. 

I'll reserve judgement at this time to wait for the first game. And though that I'd logical that is not fully in the spirit of the off-season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The injuries to a B Williams and then CJ Verdel were devastating losses for the Ducks season last year.

Hopefully this year will not repeat itself, where we lose two of our best players on both offense and defense.

If that weren't to plague the Ducks this coming year, I believe the sky's the limit for this squad.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:07 AM, Mike West said:

I like Williams at safety over Hill, BUT Hill did improve this spring.  

I like almost anyone else over Hill. Maybe safety with zone responsibilities will play to his strengths? Man to man sure ain't it.

I think B. Williams will play at an All Conference level.

The rest will depend on scheme and coaching. Maybe a Frosh will surprise like Bassa did? 

• Let’s hope! 1

Nobody has mentioned the magnificent Oregon linebacker group and how the play of the edge rushers and true LB’s will allow the DB’s to feast on deflections, Ill-advised attempts, hurry’s, and badly thrown balls.

I feel like opposing QB’s will have their hands full with fast-changing schemes, stunts, disguises and the flat-out speed, power, and athleticism of the Ducks LB’s.

CB’s and Safeties should look very good and much improved from last season. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1