Haywarduck

The Multi-sport Athlete Has A Huge Advantage!

After seeing the #1 draft choice in the NBA draft being interviewed and talking about playing qb, and running track in high school I began to wonder, again, just what are the advantages of playing multiple sports.

For a qb throwing the ball is critical. There have been a multitude of great throwers who have failed miserably.

Reading a defense is also extremely important. Knowing your offense is also paramount. Probably not lastly, but for my little brain, lastly knowing your teammates and how to lead is also maybe the overriding skill a qb needs.

So a multi-sport athlete may not throw the ball as much as a kid who goes to all the camps, but he gets so much more than the qb who just plays football.

He gets to learn the pick and roll in basketball and the nuances of the play. Timing and how to sell the play. He learns when to use it, and how to make it work. He doesn't just know how to make the play, he is probably at the level he can teach it. This is a critical level for a leader.

The refinement of how to compete at a high level crosses over then you pitch at a high level. There are invaluable skills which go into how and where to throw a ball. A pitcher needs to know every player, where they are and how they are going to react to a play.

All subtleties an athlete doesn't gain by throwing footballs at camps, and practicing without any competition.

When you compete at any sport you gain an understanding of how to lead and be part of a team. These skills, again, can't be gained by, going to camps, where everyone knows you are the man and the qb.

The interaction between players, coaches, and just the variations of sports are critical skills which can be developed, but best developed as a multi-sport athlete. 

So maybe Ty, Bo, and Butters are extremely talented qbs, and throwers, but we need an athlete who knows more than football. The nuances of games, and leadership can't be learned as well merely playing football, and going to camps.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 2

On 6/25/2022 at 3:35 PM, Haywarduck said:

The refinement of how to compete at a high level crosses over then you pitch at a high level. There are invaluable skills which go into how and where to throw a ball. A pitcher needs to know every player, where they are and how they are going to react to a play.

As we know--Justin Herbert won a State Baseball Championship as the star pitcher.  I wished I had watched him pitch...6'6" staring you down with 90+ mph fastball?

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/25/2022 at 4:15 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I wished I had watched him pitch...6'6" staring you down with 90+ mph fastball?

I wish you had faced him while in the batters box!

I remember a big lefty that had a nasty curve and every time the ball was headed towards plunking me I would bail out, and the ball would curve over the plate for a strike. Never did learn to hit the curve ball.

Interesting topic Haywarduck. 

This is exactly something I've thought before. 

Playing multiple sports helps in many ways, most are intangible, and difficult to measure objectively. 

The ability to think quickly, react and recover, helping with footwork, seeing the openman, anticipating a pass, ( like in basketball), dealing with difficulty, learning to be a team player.

Actually playing a game instead of only practice. 

Think how playing baseball could help; hitting .300 is considered good, but that's 7/10 times of disappointment. You have to learn to leave that last at- bat behind and move forward. That's a vital lesson for a qb.

I prefer multi sport guys. They have less chance to be burned out or to have learned too many bad habits.

Multi sport works more muscle groups and makes a better athlete. 

However, in the age of NIL I would think we see fewer because the need to be really good at just one sport will generate more NIL money than being a multi sport athlete. 

Additionally, less precieved chance of injury. Granted I think multi sport athletes probably weather the injury bug better than single sport. 

On 6/25/2022 at 4:28 PM, DanLduck said:

Interesting topic Haywarduck. 

This is exactly something I've thought before. 

Playing multiple sports helps in many ways, most are intangible, and difficult to measure objectively. 

The ability to think quickly, react and recover, helping with footwork, seeing the openman, anticipating a pass, ( like in basketball), dealing with difficulty, learning to be a team player.

Actually playing a game instead of only practice. 

Think how playing baseball could help; hitting .300 is considered good, but that's 7/10 times of disappointment. You have to learn to leave that last at- bat behind and move forward. That's a vital lesson for a qb.

I prefer multi sport guys. They have less chance to be burned out or to have learned too many bad habits.

It would be interesting to hear some of the benefits other see, as I doubt we have touch the tip of the iceberg of advantages. I do agree the greatest athletes play multiple sports and Oregon's Ashton Eaton was one of the greatest.

Can you imagine Ashton, if he had gifted hands, playing football? He ran a 10.2 100 m., 13 second 110 m. hurdle, long jumped 27' and almost high jumped 7', crazy athlete! He probably would have turned out much the same as Kent, another trackster who started football too late.

Look at Oregon high hurdlers Jerry Tarr and Devon Allen.  I'm certain the discipline to run the exact number of steps of the exact length to excel in the 120HH translates well to running a precise route as a wide receiver.

• Applause 1

On 6/25/2022 at 4:15 PM, Charles Fischer said:

As we know--Justin Herbert won a State Baseball Championship as the star pitcher.  I wished I had watched him pitch...6'6" staring you down with 90+ mph fastball?

I've seen a lot of Oregon HS kids who hit 90mph and they all went to OSU.

Wetlzer, Stutes, Patterson, Jayce Fry, Turpen, Greg Moore, ect.  I think 2 McMinnville kids threw gas when I was in HS went to OSU. The Mc has farm kids with arms

That's a trend Coach Waz needs to stat chipping into logically, right? 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Applause 1

^^ This is the other QB that the Ducks are recruiting.  He also plays baseball.  I'm not sure if the Ducks have moved on from him but KSU looks like the favorite to land him.  He's supposed to announce his commitment on July 5.  Dante is the priority but would the Ducks take two, if that option were on the table?  He would excel at most sports on sheer athleticism alone.

Edited by DuckIt