Smith72

Where Are the Ducks In Study of Largest Fan Bases?

Surprising result?  I was surprised and couldn't believe it.

USATSI_16831014.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

If you’re a fan of the Oregon Ducks or have been aware of their existence over the past 10-15 years, you know one of the most common...

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am quite surprised that Oregon has more fans than Alabama?  Over 5 million? Wow.

Scary Fan_Kevin Cline.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Hmm, interesting.  Click the other link in the article to get a complete break down of all the fan bases.  Big 12's new teams have 3 of the 4 smallest fan bases in the Big 12.   TCU and Baylor would have done absolutely nothing for the Pac 12.  They have the same fan base as OSU as the lowest in the Pac 12 or lower.  TTU and Oklahoma St. would have the 6th and 7th largest fan base in the Pac 12.

A lot of people have repeatedly said expanding and taking some of the Big 12 was the way to go.  The fan base size says the complete opposite.  On average the Big 12, with the new alignment, will have half the average of the Pac 12.  TV people are going to see that and they are going to have a terrible TV contract.  Pac 12 dodged a bullet by not bringing on Big 12 teams.

• Applause 2

I blame this on Phil ( Nike ) and Chip. Chip put the Ducks on the map with the new age explosive offense, I remember he had Nick Sabin freaking out and trying to get rules changed to slow down the Ducks. Nick did not want to play Dennis Dixon and he made that quite clear.

When Tennessee came to Autzen I spent some time chatting with their unbelievably friendly fans and they were all talking about Oregon’s chances of knocking off Alabama for the top spot. They all knew they were not going to beat the Ducks. This leads me to believe that half the SEC was thinking the same thing.

We are fortunate to have the Ducks in Oregon and the whole country knows it.

Little surprised about Penn State being so high with all the internal problems in their recent past but at one time they were linebacker U and not a whole lot of teams in the northeast to chose from.

• Great post! 1

To me the surprise is the fact that tOSU is higher than ND and you can take us and USC together and we still don't match them.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:37 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am quite surprised that Oregon has more fans than Alabama?  Over 5 million? Wow.

Scary Fan_Kevin Cline.jpg

Alabama is the evil empire at this point. 

Oregon is the chippy (pun in intended) upstart that had the cool uniforms and cool offense. That has at a few points scared the eveil empire. 

And with Dad Lanning (not a typo he gives off serious dad vibes) leading the way, it really does feel like Oregon is going to challenge the blue bloods once again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2022 at 7:49 AM, Tandaian said:

Hmm, interesting.  Click the other link in the article to get a complete break down of all the fan bases.  Big 12's new teams have 3 of the 4 smallest fan bases in the Big 12.   TCU and Baylor would have done absolutely nothing for the Pac 12.  They have the same fan base as OSU as the lowest in the Pac 12 or lower.  TTU and Oklahoma St. would have the 6th and 7th largest fan base in the Pac 12.

A lot of people have repeatedly said expanding and taking some of the Big 12 was the way to go.  The fan base size says the complete opposite.  On average the Big 12, with the new alignment, will have half the average of the Pac 12.  TV people are going to see that and they are going to have a terrible TV contract.  Pac 12 dodged a bullet by not bringing on Big 12 teams.

Makes pac-12 expansion a risky business. 

Again it is about growing the pie so everyone gets a bigger slice rather than just adding more slices.

I do think USC is missing a generation of fans with USC having been "bad" for the better part of a decade. USC bad is most teams average, Oregon State would kill to have swapped records with them over the last ten years but USC hasn't won many fans over, especially kids. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure I would give this much credit since it ranked Oregon ahead of Alabama?   Really?  I love OBD, but...

Wonder how these numbers were determined.

After the subtraction of Texas and Oklahoma surprised to see West Virginia leading B12.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:46 AM, savagefund said:

Wonder how these numbers were determined.

After the subtraction of Texas and Oklahoma surprised to see West Virginia leading B12.

I lived just outside DC for 4 years and WVU was very popular in Va as well as parts of Maryland and So Penn. You would see way more WVU car flags and bumper stickers than the other colleges.

• Thanks 1

I'm not surprised.  I think it started with the uniforms and Chip added gasoline to the fire.

Wherever I have traveled for the last 20 years when I wear Duck gear, the local kids usually say Oregon is their favorite, or second favorite to the local team.

• Applause 1

On 6/28/2022 at 12:05 PM, Steven A said:

the local kids usually say Oregon is their favorite, or second favorite to the local team.

I think that's a big reason here too ... Oregon is a lot of people's second team. They'll watch Oregon and consider themselves a fan, even if they don't have a strong connection other than... Oregon is cool ... Which it is. 

I think this forum gives us a little taste of that as we have people from all over who would consider themselves Oregon fans even if it's not their primary team. 

Of the teams not located in the southeast, I will say from personal experience that Oregon, considering the distance, is well represented here.  

I do see more Ohio State flags and tags, but as someone mentioned, Oregon is a second favorite team for many in this area and most of these fans don’t have Oregon tags on their vehicle.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2022 at 1:31 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Of the teams not located in the southeast, I will say from personal experience that Oregon, considering the distance, is well represented here.  

I do see more Ohio State flags and tags, but as someone mentioned, Oregon is a second favorite team for many in this area and most of these fans don’t have Oregon tags on their vehicle.  

What did I say... "groove"... "1b". Being you are from the south, second cousin might ring well. 😁 just having fun, glad you are here. You bring depth to my favorite Duck site.

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2022 at 7:12 PM, Log Haulin said:

What did I say... "groove"... "1b". Being you are from the south, second cousin might ring well. 😁 just having fun, glad you are here. You bring depth to my favorite Duck site.

As long as its not a first cousin it’s fair game right……..kidding of course 😁.  Nice jab though, at the moment I can’t think of a proper retort for a Pacific Northwesterner.  Which adds to your ammo, I mean us southerners talk slow and in this case think slow as well😂.  Perhaps it comes to me in time lol.  

Really though, I’ve pulled for Oregon since I was a kid during the Chip Kelly days.  I admit I took notice of the uniforms, but that wasn’t why I started pulling for the Ducks.  I think in the beginning it was that I wanted to pull for a PAC-12-10 team that could challenge USC.  And Oregon was very good, that and the fact that you guys had a very cool program in the eyes of a teenage CFB fan lead to my allegiance.  Nowadays you guys have Dan Lanning, a coach I have grown to respect and think very highly of.  That gives me ties to the Ducks on a more personal level.  I expect and hope for great things for CDL and the Ducks.  It’s coming, selfishly I admit that I hope it starts after Sept. 3.  After that …….. Go Ducks!!!

• Cool 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Think Birkenstocks, granola, and Big Foot (some of the fairer sex goes all natural). 

When it comes to "fan base" I think TV ratings would tell the whole story?

This could also represent the hated teams as well though.

We have ties to Georgia now and I wish the friendly but fierce competition goes our way of course.

Of course you dawgs could win this one but it's awfully hard to win 2 games against a good opponent in a season. Just ask Alabama and your selves of course.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:29 PM, Duck 1972 said:

We have ties to Georgia now and I wish the friendly but fierce competition goes our way of course.

Of course you dawgs could win this one but it's awfully hard to win 2 games against a good opponent in a season. Just ask Alabama and your selves of course.

Absolutely, beating a good team twice in the same season is rare.  In this case, the winner of a second meeting would likely be even harder to predict.  We play against each other the first game of the season.  Oregon has had a coaching overhaul since last season and GA has had at the very least a personnel overhaul on defense.  If we are fortunate enough to meet again in the playoff, it’s likely to be two very different teams than met on Sept. 3.  Of coarse I say this discounting any injuries.  

Also I’ll add this. Yes it’s true GA is favored on Sept. 3. The 17.5 point spread on Sept. 3 is perhaps a bit misleading.  The average person placing a bet would have every reason to pick GA without a drastic spread, given that their the defending champs, past recruiting, coaching changes, venue, etc….  So the spread is set as such to even out the betting lines.  My point is that the oddsmakers didn’t set this spread bc they think GA is a three score favorite, heck it’s likely they have much less understanding of football than you or I, but they do know how to insure that the house always wins.  For the simple fact that they understand how the majority will bet. 

I think it will be a very good game.  Yes, I’m a die hard Dawg fan and a bit of a homer so I firmly believe GA wins.  But the spread doesn’t fool me.  It’s very possible that this is a highly competitive game.  And I hope we do meet again in the playoff.  It would make this season very rewarding for me no matter the outcome.  

• Applause 1