Charles Fischer

Report: Arizona Meeting with Big-12 This Week...

"Sources indicate to WildcatAuthority.com that there is a meeting between members of the Pac-12 and Big 12 that is scheduled for Tuesday. As of now, the meeting is to discuss Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado joining the Big 12. It is not clear how far down the line the conversations currently are, and this is not the first discussion, however, it has been stated that Tuesday is by far the biggest meeting of significance that has taken place."

Looking to Escape?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Hopefully Oregon can get out before the rest of the PAC explodes. 

On 7/3/2022 at 6:20 PM, David Marsh said:

Hopefully Oregon can get out before the rest of the PAC explodes. 

Notre Dame is holding things up if they don't join the Big 10 then Oregon would have no choice but to join the Big 12 in a merger

On 7/3/2022 at 3:25 PM, curtisd316 said:

Notre Dame is holding things up if they don't join the Big 10 then Oregon would have no choice but to join the Big 12 in a merger

That's assuming that the B1G wouldn't proceed with Oregon and Washington, or some other combination of schools.

Oregon would be invited to an expanded Big 12, if it wanted to be.  I hope that we wait and explore other, more ambitious options, first, as I don't think that a Big 12/Pac-10 merger moves the needle.

If this report is true, I imagine it is a reactionary response to the other remaining PAC XX teams heading elsewhere. Including OBD. The question still remains, but where? I would think that would be the B1G. I can’t decide which path I would prefer the ducks to head down, but if there is truth to the rumors that US&C left in part to screw the Ducks, I would love to once again spoil their party. Also the pleasure of being a thorn in their side year after year would be delightful.

Those two SoCal teams did the PAC 12 dirty. They were not helping to strengthen the conference, nor were they headed in that direction. So bailout in the dark of the night to another big boy league where they can reap the rewards of others hard work and generosity. They were being out recruited in their backyard by the likes of OBD and Utah. Maybe the B1G will help them recruit, probably not if they can’t put a winning product on the field.

I’m a lurker, native Oregonian now living in GA. Yes I have my tickets to the opener on Sep 3rd. Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2

On 7/3/2022 at 5:34 PM, OregonDucks said:

I hope that we wait and explore other, more ambitious options, first, as I don't think that a Big 12/Pac-10 merger moves the needle.

A Big12/PAC10 Merger is kicking the can down the road.  We'll be right here 5 years from now wondering how a Stanford or Washington could have stabbed us in the back to leave.

I'm not too worried about Oregon landing in a good conference.  UW will be okay as well.  I'd be sick to my stomach if I were a Beaver or Wazzu fan/alum.  They're going to be relegated to a Mountain West or AAC situation.  The only thing that will save either school is if the state boards at Oregon and Washington tether their institutions together. 

If Notre Dame joins the Big 10, they will bring along Stanford.  Cal may also find themselves in the same boat as OSU and WSU. 

The mild kitties need a new sandbox with less cactus to bury their "stuff".  UT, CO, ASU and AZ almost make a Big 12 pile of sense.  Oregon, mutts, Stanturd and Notre Dumb to the B1G.  Maybe WSU OSU and Cal will have to Big 12 it too or it'll be Mountain West, baby!  Duke, NC, FSU, Clemson to the SEC.  Mari Cristbal and his big swirling humid windstorm can win in the "new" ACC with 223 yds/game total offense

On 7/3/2022 at 5:41 PM, Phunteratc said:

Those two SoCal teams did the PAC 12 dirty. They were not helping to strengthen the conference, nor were they headed in that direction. So bailout in the dark of the night to another big boy league where they can reap the rewards of others hard work and generosity. They were being out recruited in their backyard by the likes of OBD and Utah. Maybe the B1G will help them recruit, probably not if they can’t put a winning product on the field.

This is the exact same thing that happened to the BIG 12.  I’ve seen report after report that the BIG 12 didn’t make the necessary changes to keep Texas and ou but what everyone leaves out is that both those schools (especially Texas) fought expanding beyond 10 every step of the way.  Both fought a Big 10 style Network when the conference was at its strongest in the late 90’s early 2000’s…only to have the offer taken to the BIG.  Both fought equal distributions until Nebraska left because of it.   Every “issue” the schools cited were issues they created themselves and forced the others to live with Until they bolted.

Edited by osu125
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe if AZ and ASU stay in the remaining PAC they could win some games?

Teams spend $$ to win and are willing to take $$ to lose?--doesnt make sense to me.

I would think that Oregon and Washington would accept a lesser share to join the Big-10.  Even if they had to split one share, it is more then they are getting now ($36M) and would be in line with what the estimated new PAC deal would have been with USC and UCLA in the mix ($50M)

On 7/4/2022 at 8:00 AM, GeotechDuck said:

I would think that Oregon and Washington would accept a lesser share to join the Big-10.  Even if they had to split one share, it is more then they are getting now ($36M) and would be in line with what the estimated new PAC deal would have been with USC and UCLA in the mix ($50M)

It would also put them at a permanent disadvantage.

On 7/4/2022 at 8:08 AM, McDuck said:

It would also put them at a permanent disadvantage.

So that is the ultimate question then.  Is Oregon at a greater disadvantage taking a reduced share in a super conference or taking a full share in a lower conference.  IMO, Oregon would be at a greater disadvantage being in the lower conference. 

It sounds like Stanford took the lower share to be included with ND….

E78A2031-60F6-45FA-A8BD-31011E977C3F.jpeg

Edited by GeotechDuck