NJDuck

Canzano: Pac-12 Getting Itself Back Out There After Being Burned

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Clemson vs. Utah, anyone? Miami vs. Oregon?

The Pac-12 appears to be moving toward a loose partnership or some kind of entanglement with the ACC right now.  Here's hoping ND makes a decision soon with the Big 10!

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thanks 1

We'd have to merge with the ACC to get them out of their TV deal.  I suppose we could do that, but I'm not sure we would do that.  I'll feel bad for OSU, but we better not be married to have to taking OSU with us where ever we land.  I know I'm terrible, but we are at the point of everybody is out for themselves.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:41 AM, Tandaian said:

We'd have to merge with the ACC to get them out of their TV deal. 

I think the risk with this is that the top ACC teams would then be free to leave for the SEC or B1G. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon, IMO, should should hitch their wagon to B?G or the SEC. The progr'm Oregon has been striving to become lines up best in those two conferences.

I would love to see Oregon in the SEC. I think Ducks level up immediately. If I look at the recruits Oregon is pursuing. A lot of them are SEC kids that have Oregon in their top ?# with SEC behemoths. 

On 7/6/2022 at 12:59 PM, Log Haulin said:

Oregon, IMO, should should hitch their wagon to B?G or the SEC. The progr'm Oregon has been striving to become lines up best in those two conferences.

I would love to see Oregon in the SEC. I think Ducks level up immediately. If I look at the recruits Oregon is pursuing. A lot of them are SEC kids that have Oregon in their top ?# with SEC behemoths.

If all possible, best options is BIG or SEC.

Edited by NJDuck

I'd love to hear what a conversation between the SEC commissioner and Uncle Phil sounds like. Something tells me they'd be speaking each others language.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:47 AM, OregonDucks said:

I think the risk with this is that the top ACC teams would then be free to leave for the SEC or B1G. 

Absolutely.  We get the ACC out of their horrid TV deal and the SEC and B1G come in and cherry-pick the top names.  

Maybe this is just a scheduling agreement?  I just don't see how any of this pencils out.  George better know what he's doing.

For us, the B1G still the best option IMHO.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:06 PM, noDucknewby said:

Absolutely.  We get the ACC out of their horrid TV deal and the SEC and B1G come in and cherry-pick the top names.  

Maybe this is just a scheduling agreement?  I just don't see how any of this pencils out.  George better know what he's doing.

For us, the B1G still the best option IMHO.

How would the ACC get out of a new GOR?  ESPN isn’t going to just let them out of the current agreement and go on the open market.  The PAC isn’t going to sign a deal that doesn’t contain some termination scenario if the ACC somehow does manage to dissolve a new GOR

Said another way, the ACC will need to continue with a GOR for some period to ESPN in exchange for restructuring their current deal

Of couse everyone wants in either the Big 10 or SEC but thats a horrible idea of a loose partnership with the ACC it will be no different then the first supposed alliance the ACC will get raided soon and everyone will be abandoning ship looking for a life boat to get on when you had it with the Big 12

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, CalBear95 said:

How would the ACC get out of a new GOR?  ESPN isn’t going to just let them out of the current agreement and go on the open market.  The PAC isn’t going to sign a deal that doesn’t contain some termination scenario if the ACC somehow does manage to dissolve a new GOR

Said another way, the ACC will need to continue with a GOR for some period to ESPN in exchange for restructuring their current deal

Of course ESPN doesn't have to let them out of their current GOR, that's why the ACC is trying to entice them with more programming.  Any renegotiated ACC deal in conjunction with the P12 would have to be on ESPN's terms, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.  I just don't see how we can trust ESPN not to just herd Clemson, Miami, FSU and UNC into the SEC.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe if the P12 and ACC voluntarily dissolve to form another conference, the GOR becomes moot.  I can't imagine the feeding frenzy if that were to happen, though.

• Go Ducks! 1

I am warming to the idea of some type of merger with the Big-12.  Although I am fatiguing of reading and discussing the hundreds of variables, and am now ready to accept whatever comes along and make the best of it.

If it is the Big-12...then I think we could have some great games of superb entertainment.  But I am sure we would have to cut some sports, especially with a travel budget that will go through the roof whether we are with the B1G or Big-12.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/6/2022 at 2:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am warming to the idea of some type of merger with the Big-12.  Although I am fatiguing of reading and discussing the hundreds of variables, and am now ready to accept whatever comes along and make the best of it.

If it is the Big-12...then I think we could have some great games of superb entertainment.  But I am sure we would have to cut some sports, especially with a travel budget that will go through the roof whether we are with the B1G or Big-12.

I hear ya!! Everyday its something else, One thing remains constant though---We Love Our Ducks. Hopefully football will remain profitable enough to save the other sports.

• Go Ducks! 1