NJDuck

Canzano: Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff's Legacy Hinges on What Happens Next

One AD said George is great, but he had one job...keep USC in the fold.  

Wow.  Will you admit that you would have suggested Oregon to leave with a difference of that much?

"Former Fox Sports Network president Bob Thompson estimates that the Pac-12 would have commanded a $500 million-a-year television deal in the next round of media rights negotiations. That would have given each Pac-12 member an annual distribution of $41.6 million. With the move to the Big Ten, USC and UCLA will receive more than $71 million annually."

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Money talks.  A school could do a lot with an additional 30 mil per year…

It would have been nice for USC (and UCLA) to have been upfront with George and the Pac-12 conference, instead of secretly doing this behind their backs.  Perhaps the Pac-12 could have come up with a solution to keep the LA schools in the conference, including uneven revenue shares.  By the time it was leaked, it was too late.

I completely blame Larry Scott, FOX and USC for the situation that the Pac is now facing.  George has an uphill battle to climb.  If the B1G or SEC (unlikely) calls, I don't see Oregon staying and taking ~$30M less per year in television revenues.

Edited by OregonDucks

Saw an article (forget where but reputable brand) talking about ACC and PAC. 

Expect finances to be paltry under current framework being discussed. 

Arizona schools are staying in the fold until those revenue projections are presented.  

Then things get interesting.  Arizona schools could bolt to BXII which probably forces Oregon to that same league.  

But that wasn’t why the article caught my eye (yes, I am burying the lede). 

It offered an possibility I hadn’t considered but doesn’t seem totally far fetched: the ACC becomes the aggressor and raids the PAC and BXII (in some case for schools like Cincinnati and BYU that aren’t yet even in the league yet).  Most schools come from the PAC. 

Honestly, if that happened (1) I think it would be a great outcome for the the PAC schools involved and (2) you would have to respect the sheer audacity of it. 

Also, the BXII which is being a bit arrogant at the moment would, once again, find itself trying to figure out what just hit them (I don’t wish ill for them but their certainly of being in the driver’s seat at the moment is naïve given how crazy the dynamics of realignment are)

Edited by CalBear95
  • Applause 1

Trying to tie anything to George and the P12 is silly.  We didn't know it publicly, but the P12 was sinking.  USC and UCLA were already disgruntled.  Even if their sport teams didn't perform great, they were always the prom king and queen of the P12.  

Honestly, what could have George done in his short amount of time?  Do you think other P12 schools would have given up TV money to keep them happy?  Equal pay is nice an all, but when you are the biggest market, you need to be treated as such.

Honest, trusting and up front people always need to be leery of the snakes and vipers. Every indication from AD's and the media was that GK was working his tail off for the conference. ALL of the conference members .

George had no way to tell that a handshake agreement with the BIG and ACC meant nothing to the BIG.

George had no idea that behind the phony, fake smiles, pats on the back and attaboys from usc/ucla were a set of 2 faced liars.  Trust is everything, trust is everything. .   . 

I/we wish GK the greatest amount of success in moving the PAC 10 forward. No matter what course of action is takin...  

I might remind AZ/ASU where their roots are from before they snub BSU, FSU and SDSU.....

As for the traitors. Neither usuc or uclasuc have even held their own in the PAC for along time. The BIG is a gauntlet that just may chew you up. But no hard feelings. What goes around comes around.

GO DUCKS.........

What ever the outcome or landing spot between PAC, BIG 12 or ACC, Oregon is the prize. Only Clemson is our equal or better in the overall picture as a national brand. Those 2 schools should be talking and leading the way.

Sorry that was very arrogant and brash. Boy i have learned alot from the PAC Presidents.

• Great post! 1

On 7/8/2022 at 11:54 AM, CalBear95 said:

Also, the BXII which is being a bit arrogant at the moment would, once again, find itself trying to figure out what just hit them (I don’t wish ill for them but their certainly of being in the driver’s seat at the moment is naïve given how crazy the dynamics of realignment are)

There is probably a reason the B1G, ACC and Pac-12 did not include the Big XII in the "alliance."  I believe that the Big XII is the last option for the Pac teams, including the Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado. 

The other Pac schools should wait to see how things shake out and explore all of their options.  It's not like the Big XII is going to say "no thanks" in 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years.

• Thumbs Up 2

For Oregon the future could be hinged on beating Georgia--we do that and we will punch our own ticket.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

The reason I heard  on OBD that the B12 is with Fox alone while the PAC and acc are on ESPN and Fox. But that is why they can't be in the alliance.