Charles Fischer

Wilner Advises ‘Flexibility’ for Oregon/Washington Over Two Years

It is subscriber, but Jon Wilner was suggesting that the two NW schools do not get tied into a Pac-12 contract over the next two years, because once Notre Dame decides, (or not) the dominoes might start falling in the Ducks/Huskies direction for invitation into the B1G.

This would also be good advice for joining the Big-12 separately as well.

However, our friend George K. will be working to lock in the NW schools into the Pac-12, and the pressure from the other schools...and politicians will be immense.  And Oregon's best interests may end up different than Washington's, thus one could muck it up for the other?

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Very good sound advice.  Let's hope both Oregon and Washington read his article and take heed.  A contract at this time could wind up being a mill stone around their necks.

Hopefully Phil Knight will help them in this matter.

Go Ducks!!

• Thumbs Up 1

It is excellent advice. The future of big time football is fluid and everchanging. Dont get locked into anything long term.

Of course the 4 border schools could bolt to the BIG 12 if they think the Ducks and dogs arent committed for the long haul.

Tough situation for GK.

Both the Ducks and dogs have boosters who will pay the potential buy out ro exit early. Especially for the BIG or SEC.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the NCAA were adept and capable, they would be the lead "agent" for college football and use their bully pulpit powers to bring the networks into a cooperative win-win solution.

Doesn't it seem inevitable to one day settle in to four 16-team D-1 superleagues and cover the entire country....each with its one championship (Bowl Games) that feeds a winner into the CFP?

That makes 64 teams.  The ACC, PAC10 and Big 12 create the 4th superleague and fill out the remaining 3.   BYU and ND football drop independence to grab a seat.

ABC/ESPN,  FOX, CBS and NBC can divvy up rights, rotate annual coverages and split BOWL/CFP revenues.

I would love to see a relegation element where low performing teams lose their spot in D1 to affiliated D2 conferences teams that win their league each year.

I realize this is Utopian and therefore unrealistic....but it made me feel good to post it.

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

A good rule to live by: When in doubt, do nothing. I agree that Oregon should take a breath, step back and wait for the right opportunity.  That doesn't mean sit idle.

Focus on what they can control. Development of these men on and off the field. Become a better progr'm. Prepare for and enjoy the upcoming season. The stuff inside the hullahoop.

I am convinced the perfect situation for OBD will present itself with in the next 12 months. Be prepared but build and enjoy what's in front of us. 

Season is 5 weeks away. It's going to be a blast. Ducks have a ton of talent and what I hope to be a great staff. Future looks great, let's not blow it up with knee-jerk reaction based on fear. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Charles, your GIF says it all. 

So what happens if the Ducks don’t sign a deal with massive flexibility?  IIRC, the PAC rights expire 2024 and I have never heard of a year by year GOR.   Also, the Ducks aren’t going to sign up to some largish exit fee because why would they?

If the four corners bolt and destroy the PAC (ceases to exist in 2024) and nobody takes on the Ducks because ND has an expiring 2026 media deal and they have made no decision by then which thereby keeps dominoes from falling, the Big 12 could force the Ducks into pretty much any deal because, are they just going to hang out in limbo?

The Ducks are in real trouble because they are utterly at the mercy of the B1G and SEC in terms of timing and are on the wrong media renewal schedule.  

• Wow 1

Doom and Gloom -------its what sells. Well it very well could be but PK will endow at least a few bill to the Ducks and $$$ talks. Im really tired of all the B.S. rumors

On 7/24/2022 at 1:08 PM, CalBear95 said:

So what happens if the Ducks don’t sign a deal with massive flexibility?  IIRC, the PAC rights expire 2024 and I have never heard of a year by year GOR.   Also, the Ducks aren’t going to sign up to some largish exit fee because why would they?

If the four corners bolt and destroy the PAC (ceases to exist in 2024) and nobody takes on the Ducks because ND has an expiring 2026 media deal and they have made no decision by then which thereby keeps dominoes from falling, the Big 12 could force the Ducks into pretty much any deal because, are they just going to hang out in limbo?

The Ducks are in real trouble because they are utterly at the mercy of the B1G and SEC in terms of timing and are on the wrong media renewal schedule.  

What about Cal and Stanford? The Bay area pays ZERO attention to college football.----just sayin. In fact those 2 teams are probably the least attended games in the PAC, especially considering the population.

• Applause 1

Stanford has the golden ticket called Notre Dame. 

I have no idea what happens to Los Osos Dorados

On 7/24/2022 at 3:25 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

What about Cal and Stanford? The Bay area pays ZERO attention to college football.----just sayin. In fact those 2 teams are probably the least attended games in the PAC, especially considering the population.

This is what I have believed throughout this discussion.  Yes, there are a lot of televisions in the Bay Area - and next to none of them are watching Cal and Stanford.  They are all waiting for the 49ers and Raiders to come on the next day.  I'd even be willing to say that there are more Duck viewers in the Bay Area than either Cal or Stanford.  I lived in the Sacramento region for a lot of years and there were many, many more Duck stickers and plate frames on cars than Cal.  The only place you saw a Stanford logo was at the doctors' parking lot at the hospital.  The Ducks are a brand that far outdistances the number of TV's in the State of Oregon.

As for the Fuskies, I would much prefer that we do not consider them a future league "partner."  Let them paddle their own boat. 

• Salute 1
  • Applause 1

On 7/24/2022 at 1:44 PM, CalBear95 said:

Stanford has the golden ticket called Notre Dame. 

I have no idea what happens to Los Osos Dorados

And....... The Ducks just beat the Buckeyes in the Shoe and have 2 NCG appearances. Plus PK--

The Golden Bears--well considering the area and it being a very good University that's just sad.

• Mic drop 1

It’s just a raw deal for the Ducks at the moment.  This happened at the worst juncture possible.  Everyone says they and UW are the most valuable brands left on the west coast board but if nobody is buying then that fact helps absolutely not at all. 

Timing is everything and this is just one more reason to hate Notre Dame.  

While I know it will pain you all to acknowledge this, the Ducks want to be paired with the Huskies.  Bigger market and more reputable brand as a university.  They are a good pairing in both revenue and vitriol.  

As for my Bears, it looks bleak.  Our only hope is that we stay in some power conference and the B1G wants a Bay Area pod to go along with LA and PNW.  And I am not hung up on the quality of our FB team.  But I do care about the sports the media deal supports.  

It would make me both depressed and angry if those sports went overboard as they are so associated with my time at Cal.  

The US Olympic medal total would certainly be less if there was no longer Cal Swimming.

As for the timing? There are two bright spots in all of this....

1) Thank goodness we hired this coaching staff before all this hit!  (Because the uncertainly would give pause to all the coaches)

2) We aren't Oregon State...

Beavers beleagured Video.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/24/2022 at 4:52 PM, TexasDuck said:

Let them paddle their own boat. 

I hear they're pretty good at that.