McDawg

Biggest Confidence On the Field This Week

On the Oregon defense it seems like y'all have put a lot of stock in Justin Flowe and Noah Sewell. I watched both of those kids flirt with UGA and wanted them in Athensl so I know what you have there.  Is there another area in defense that Oregon has a lot of confidence? 

And on offense, I have only heard Bo Nix and Seven McGee ( is that his real name?) 

Overall the Ducks are a good team. The unknown is whether our QB can perform when faced with adversity with an offensive scheme that relies on them making solid decisions. 

The offense has good RBs, receivers, and a solid OL. The defensive line will play tough, and we have some very good linebackers. Depth at defensive back may be in question, but the starters are going to be very good. 

Our season hinges on staying healthy at key positions. If our QB plays better than expected, then the Ducks are a formidable opponent that will win many games. 

Edited by Drake
  • Go Ducks! 1

Ya the front seven is our strength. We can have a legit six-man DL rotation

Brandon Dorlus and Popo Aumavae are 1st All Pac dudes. 

Taki the UW DL transfer was top 5 in Pac rated by PPF last year 

Hudson-Ware 4 star our of Mater Dei

The two Nebraska DL transfers Jordan Riley the senior and Casey Rogers the junior who has 43 tackles the last two years.

247 Composite edge guys DJ Jonhson and Mase Funa - both Top 80 dudes. Braydn Swinson is 3-star pass rush dude off the edge.

4-star backups to Flowe and Sewell are LaDuke, Brown and Bassa.

Star safety Bennet Willimas was freshman All-American 

Transfer Christan Gonzalez was All-Pac corner last year and some are saying might be a 1st rounder, I got see more. Donte Manning is a 5-star corner.

The Duck's defense is at a talent cycle peak like the Dawgs were last year. We will lose 7 starters after this year. Flowe, Sewell, DJ, Funa, Dorlus and Willimas all get drafted, but not 5 of them in the first round.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1

We are hoping on having a more balanced offense. Looking for a deep passing game that will stress the defense. The last couple years we didn't do that very effectively.

Defences were thereby able to stack the box to stop our running attack. Because of this, I believe we were constantly in tight ball games. It wore on everyone.

So we hope our talented WR's T Franklin, D Thornton, C Cota, C Chapman, slot WR's K Hutsen, S McGee, and TE's Ferguson and Molokai are used. And we see numerous deep balls all season long.

Bombs away!

On 8/29/2022 at 2:37 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Ya the front seven is our strength. We can have a legit six-man DL rotation

Brandon Dorlus and Popo Aumavae are 1st All Pac dudes. 

Taki the UW DL transfer was top 5 in Pac rated by PPF last year 

Hudson-Ware 4 star our of Mater Dei

The two Nebraska DL transfers Jordan Riley the senior and Casey Rogers the junior who has 43 tackles the last two years.

247 Composite edge guys DJ Jonhson and Mase Funa - both Top 80 dudes. Braydn Swinson is 3-star pass rush dude off the edge.

4-star backups to Flowe and Sewell are LaDuke, Brown and Bassa.

Star safety Bennet Willimas was freshman All-American 

Transfer Christan Gonzalez was All-Pac corner last year and some are saying might be a 1st rounder, I got see more. Donte Manning is a 5-star corner.

The Duck's defense is at a talent cycle peak like the Dawgs were last year. We will lose 7 starters after this year. Flowe, Sewell, DJ, Funa, Dorlus and Willimas all get drafted, but not 5 of them in the first round.

Donte Manning is going to turn a lot of heads this year. He is my break out player of this defense

• Cool 1

So, from what I am reading it seems like y'all have more confidence in your defense? Is that accurate? 

I have more confidence in our defense than our offense for sure.

weakness on our defense is a lack of proven pass rushers kavon Thibbs is gone.

dj Johnson was awesome rushing the passer in our spring game but I gotta see it in a real game before I’m sold

free safety is also a weak spot verone McKinley is gone and we have a converted wr playing that spot in Braylon Addison 

our starting cornerbacks (manning and Gonzales) should be good but there is no proven depth behind them 

On 8/29/2022 at 6:06 PM, McDawg said:

So, from what I am reading it seems like y'all have more confidence in your defense? Is that accurate? 

Depends upon the fan.  I am primarily an "offense" fan, but have stated that this Oregon defense will be "the" surprise of the Pac-12.

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/29/2022 at 6:14 PM, Southwest Duck said:

weakness on our defense is a lack of proven pass rushers kavon Thibbs is gone.

We will have more sacks than last year, and will be one of the best ever for pass rushing at Oregon this year between veteran talent and the Lanning schemes, IMHO.

Mr. FishDuck

Franklin and Thornton can exploit any defensive backfield in the nation. They just need the right QB (and OC). I think the OL is overrated. The same thing was said about the 2019 OL and Auburn’s DL abused them. Granted, those guys were studs. 

On 8/29/2022 at 6:36 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Franklin and Thornton can exploit any defensive backfield in the nation. They just need the right QB (and OC). I think the OL is overrated. The same thing was said about the 2019 OL and Auburn’s DL abused them. Granted, those guys were studs. 

Last years O line was pushed by Stony Brook and Fresno St basically had their way all game.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:23 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We will have more sacks than last year, and will be one of the best ever for pass rushing at Oregon this year between veteran talent and the Lanning schemes, IMHO.

I sure hope you are correct! 
Funa Swinson and DJ Johnson are so critical in providing a pass rush.

Their development, I believe, is the difference between a 7-5 or 8-4 season if they disappoint. Or 10-2 11-1 if they excel.

I'm concerned about the O the first game because since Taggart, there have been a lot of changes EVERY year since. The O has lost momentum. It might take a few games to gel.

After a year of short passes last season  many WRs lost out on valuable in-game experience and were frustrated. 

Losing both premier RBs doesn't help, but that's CFB. Are the RBs going to be ready the first game of the season?  I'm looking forward to watching Cardwell and McGee.

Relying on a Sr transfer QB hasn't worked out very well for Oregon. Nix can knock over a scoreboard with his arm, but sometimes pulls out the cannon on very short throws causing drops. He seems to sell the play action well. He can run. Does he stay focused?

Go Ducks!