David Marsh

Marsh Pac-12 Power Rankings (Week 4)

Last year I got a kick out of doing this every now and then. It is difficult for me to commit to doing this every week so I'll do my best. If you agree, disagree please post something or even post with your own rankings.

These rankings are subjective and a team's record only plays part of what goes into where I place them in my ranking, some teams are just better or worse than what their record suggests. This is also a snap shot look at where I feel these teams are at this moment, as if these teams were to play tomorrow they should beat those below them and lose to those ahead of them but nothing is obviously set in stone, teams grow as the season goes on.

12. Colorado (0-4) - Colorado is just bad this year. It is likely that Karl Dorrell will be the next coach within the Pac-12 to lose his job. It feels like it is only a matter of time.

11. Arizona State (1-3) - Arizona State fired their head coach in Herm Edwards and really looks like a program without a head coach right now. Granted with a head coach they didn't look good either but at least they had a direction, this team has a whole lot of problems with NCAA sanctions probably on the horizon for recruiting violations in the 2020 season.

10. Arizona (2-2) - Arizona is headed in the right direction but they aren't there yet. This program was in real bad shape before Jed Fisch took over and he is building something respectable but it is going to take some time to get there. It is possible they move up in these rankings in future weeks, but losing to Cal in the first conference game does not set themselves up for a bowl game this year.

9. Stanford (1-2) - Stanford is a program that might honestly not come back to power the way they were in the last decade. The transfer portal is something they really only lose players to rather than gaining any benefit from it. With Stanford's academic rules as they are talent does not come to Stanford via the transfer portal, only leaves. Stanford will take some teams out this year and they will be dangerous but this isn't the Stanford we got used to seeing for the past 15 years.

8. Cal (3-1) - Cal has had their moments this year. They haven't embarrassed the conference for starters. Their offense looks much improved but this team doesn't look ready to compete at the upper level of the Pac just yet. They beat up Arizona this last Saturday but that doesn't say much along with surviving against UNLV in the non-conference schedule. They did however, nearly defeat a Notre Dame team that is trying to figure themselves out with a new coaching staff.

7. Oregon State (3-1) - Oregon State is a good team and honestly should have beaten USC. They have a strong run game and a solid defense but they lack that passing game to really get take them the rest of the way. With four interceptions it is difficult to win a game and the Beavers almost did that to USC.

6. USC (4-0) - This is a pretty low ranking for an undefeated team but this isn't completely about records. This USC team looks weak on both their offensive and defensive lines. Oregon State was constantly in the backfield causing problems. Their secondary looks solid and their receiving corp is deadly but they were gutted by the Beaver's run game. What happens when they play any of the teams ahead of them in this ranking that have better offensive and defensive lines and can bully them in the trenches? It probably won't be pretty.

5. UCLA (4-0) - UCLA looks solid but they haven't played anyone of any note at this time. They have played Bowling Green, Alabama State, South Alabama, and Colorado, and they almost lost to South Alabama. They have a lot of returning pieces and that is pretty much the only reason why they are up this high at this time. This team has yet to be tested in any meaningful way.

4. Washington (4-0) - Washington is 4-0 which is a bit of a shock for a team that cleaned house of their coaching staff last year. This new staff is getting the most out of their players and this Washington team looks like they could be deadly. However, the Huskies have yet to travel and this team hasn't traveled well over the past few years. They also haven't played anyone that would be considered good at this point, Michigan State doesn't look too good, certainly no where near as good as last year. We'll see how well that win ages but it was still an important win for the conference.

3. Washington State (3-1) - The Cougs are going to be a problem for many in the conference this year. This is an aggressive defensive and a potent offense that is a bit weird to prepare for which will give them an edge. They could be better than Washington or they could be worse, it is difficult to tell at this point. But Washington State's away win over a mediocre Wisconsin team looks better than Washington's win over what appears to be a bad Michigan State team at home.

2. Oregon (3-1) - Oregon escaped Washington State but they really should have won by more. This Oregon team is probably the most talented and well rounded team in terms of talent in the conference. Sure USC has a ton of highly ranked DBs but their lines looks suspect. Oregon needs to get their defense in sync which is a big reason why they are not No. 1 and maybe No. 2 is too high right now but this staff and team is growing so fast right now that it really does feel like they could be ready to take on anyone in the conference next week. That week one loss to Georgia is this team's motivation now and a marker for how good they need to be in order to compete. This team has the highest ceiling in the conference, they just need to realize it and grow into it. And Oregon is the only team that has a win over a currently ranked top 25 opponent in BYU, so that has to count for something.

1. Utah (3-1) - A strong roster of returning players, a veteran coaching staff leaves Utah at the top spot for now. Utah tends to get better as the year goes on because they may not recruit the best talent but they develop the talent they get and that takes time. Right now it feels like Utah could probably beat anyone in the conference but that will probably not last.

Edited by David Marsh
  • Thumbs Up 6

Isn't it amazing how No. 7 and up are really good teams?  Now, that does not make us a "Top-Heavy" conference, but one that is very competitive, entertaining and balanced.

Time for us to be proud of the conference again.

Pac 12 Logo_video.jpg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

With the exception of UCLA, I like your rankings. I have a feeling that the Bruins will be 4-3 in 4 weeks after UW, Utah, Bye, & Oregon.

This makes a lot more sense then those polls ranking USC #6 in the country. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/25/2022 at 5:01 PM, David Marsh said:

Last year I got a kick out of doing this every now and then. It is difficult for me to commit to doing this every week so I'll do my best. If you agree, disagree please post something or even post with your own rankings.

These rankings are subjective and a team's record only plays part of what goes into where I place them in my ranking, some teams are just better or worse than what their record suggests. This is also a snap shot look at where I feel these teams are at this moment, as if these teams were to play tomorrow they should beat those below them and lose to those ahead of them but nothing is obviously set in stone, teams grow as the season goes on.

12. Colorado (0-4) - Colorado is just bad this year. It is likely that Karl Dorrell will be the next coach within the Pac-12 to lose his job. It feels like it is only a matter of time.

11. Arizona State (1-3) - Arizona State fired their head coach in Herm Edwards and really looks like a program without a head coach right now. Granted with a head coach they didn't look good either but at least they had a direction, this team has a whole lot of problems with NCAA sanctions probably on the horizon for recruiting violations in the 2020 season.

10. Arizona (2-2) - Arizona is headed in the right direction but they aren't there yet. This program was in real bad shape before Jed Fisch took over and he is building something respectable but it is going to take some time to get there. It is possible they move up in these rankings in future weeks, but losing to Cal in the first conference game does not set themselves up for a bowl game this year.

9. Stanford (1-2) - Stanford is a program that might honestly not come back to power the way they were in the last decade. The transfer portal is something they really only lose players to rather than gaining any benefit from it. With Stanford's academic rules as they are talent does not come to Stanford via the transfer portal, only leaves. Stanford will take some teams out this year and they will be dangerous but this isn't the Stanford we got used to seeing for the past 15 years.

8. Cal (3-1) - Cal has had their moments this year. They haven't embarrassed the conference for starters. Their offense looks much improved but this team doesn't look ready to compete at the upper level of the Pac just yet. They beat up Arizona this last Saturday but that doesn't say much along with surviving against UNLV in the non-conference schedule. They did however, nearly defeat a Notre Dame team that is trying to figure themselves out with a new coaching staff.

7. Oregon State (3-1) - Oregon State is a good team and honestly should have beaten USC. They have a strong run game and a solid defense but they lack that passing game to really get take them the rest of the way. With four interceptions it is difficult to win a game and the Beavers almost did that to USC.

6. USC (4-0) - This is a pretty low ranking for an undefeated team but this isn't completely about records. This USC team looks weak on both their offensive and defensive lines. Oregon State was constantly in the backfield causing problems. Their secondary looks solid and their receiving corp is deadly but they were gutted by the Beaver's run game. What happens when they play any of the teams ahead of them in this ranking that have better offensive and defensive lines and can bully them in the trenches? It probably won't be pretty.

5. UCLA (4-0) - UCLA looks solid but they haven't played anyone of any note at this time. They have played Bowling Green, Alabama State, South Alabama, and Colorado, and they almost lost to South Alabama. They have a lot of returning pieces and that is pretty much the only reason why they are up this high at this time. This team has yet to be tested in any meaningful way.

4. Washington (4-0) - Washington is 4-0 which is a bit of a shock for a team that cleaned house of their coaching staff last year. This new staff is getting the most out of their players and this Washington team looks like they could be deadly. However, the Huskies have yet to travel and this team hasn't traveled well over the past few years. They also haven't played anyone that would be considered good at this point, Michigan State doesn't look too good, certainly no where near as good as last year. We'll see how well that win ages but it was still an important win for the conference.

3. Washington State (3-1) - The Cougs are going to be a problem for many in the conference this year. This is an aggressive defensive and a potent offense that is a bit weird to prepare for which will give them an edge. They could be better than Washington or they could be worse, it is difficult to tell at this point. But Washington State's away win over a mediocre Wisconsin team looks better than Washington's win over what appears to be a bad Michigan State team at home.

2. Oregon (3-1) - Oregon escaped Washington State but they really should have won by more. This Oregon team is probably the most talented and well rounded team in terms of talent in the conference. Sure USC has a ton of highly ranked DBs but their lines looks suspect. Oregon needs to get their defense in sync which is a big reason why they are not No. 1 and maybe No. 2 is too high right now but this staff and team is growing so fast right now that it really does feel like they could be ready to take on anyone in the conference next week. That week one loss to Georgia is this team's motivation now and a marker for how good they need to be in order to compete. This team has the highest ceiling in the conference, they just need to realize it and grow into it. And Oregon is the only team that has a win over a currently ranked top 25 opponent in BYU, so that has to count for something.

1. Utah (3-1) - A strong roster of returning players, a veteran coaching staff leaves Utah at the top spot for now. Utah tends to get better as the year goes on because they may not recruit the best talent but they develop the talent they get and that takes time. Right now it feels like Utah could probably beat anyone in the conference but that will probably not last.

Utah, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Washington. 

Utah has to be #1 until a PAC-12 team beats them.  

Oregon does not appear to travel very well.  But I leave them there at #2 until somebody beats them. 

I will not be surprised to see UCLA in championship game.  

I liked your post.  My only real disagreement is placing Washington State so high.  We should have beaten them easily.   

Thanks for posting that.  It was fun to think about.  

On 9/25/2022 at 7:10 PM, debbieduck said:

I liked your post.  My only real disagreement is placing Washington State so high.  We should have beaten them easily.  

In truth I flip flopped on who should be ahead Washington or Washington State. I went with Washington State because of their win against Wisconsin on the road is far more impressive than Washington's win. 

In truth I think it's a tie between the two they are close. I think Washington State has been challenged and lost... To us ... But they'll learn from that. And Washington hasn't been challenged yet. So we'll have to wait. 

I think this last game for Oregon has taught the team a lot about travel. They will need to travel better in the future. I think that might be more in the coaches' end at this point than players. But credit to both for not giving up. 

On 9/25/2022 at 6:32 PM, lownslowav8r said:

This makes a lot more sense then those polls ranking USC #6 in the country. 

My rankings might have too much USC anti-hype I am fuly expecting them to get exposed badly this year. 

On 9/25/2022 at 7:44 PM, David Marsh said:

My rankings might have too much USC anti-hype I am fuly expecting them to get exposed badly this year. 

I think the offense just got exposed. The surprise about SC to me, is the defense. It's better than I expected but I think a solid run team will give them fits.

On 9/25/2022 at 7:22 PM, David Marsh said:

In truth I flip flopped on who should be ahead Washington or Washington State. I went with Washington State because of their win against Wisconsin on the road is far more impressive than Washington's win. 

In truth I think it's a tie between the two they are close. I think Washington State has been challenged and lost... To us ... But they'll learn from that. And Washington hasn't been challenged yet. So we'll have to wait. 

I think this last game for Oregon has taught the team a lot about travel. They will need to travel better in the future. I think that might be more in the coaches' end at this point than players. But credit to both for not giving up. 

Good points.   What about UCLA?  
My hubby and brother think I am crazy but they really worry me.  

I’m off to bed . Hope everyone in Duck land sleeps well.  

On 9/25/2022 at 10:16 PM, debbieduck said:

Good points.   What about UCLA?  
My hubby and brother think I am crazy but they really worry me.  

UCLA has problems but I feel they are a more complete team that those I ranked below them. They haven't been tested yet, so hard to say how good they are. 

I have them placed where they are because they return some important pieces. 

But I'm not that convinced yet. 

They could be dangerous that's for sure and we'll get a real taste for this team this Friday when they play Washington. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:03 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think the offense just got exposed. The surprise about SC to me, is the defense. It's better than I expected but I think a solid run team will give them fits.

The USC-Oregon State game was as strange a No.6 against unranked team I've ever seen. My constant thought watching it was that Carroll's Trojans would destroy this bunch Addison was efficient, 1 throw, i touchdown, but didn't seem to live up to the hype...which is pretty much this USC team overall.

Four INT's. The Trojans had a part in this, Nolan didn't just throw all of them right to USC defenders, so credit the Trojans D some. But there is a disconnect when a team gets a +4 in TO differential and escapes with a win. 

Looks about right to me. I think Utah is on top, but not by much. If I put the team that lost to FL on the field with the Oregon team that beat BYU Oregon wins by three touch downs though. But that's a first week game vs. a third week game.

I picked the Beavers to beat SC. I didn't see the game and when I looked at the box score I was wondering why they didn't until I saw the 4 ints. 

USC is much more hype than substance at this point. Dye is playing well for them, which I expected. Guy has a lot of heart no matter what color the uniform he's wearing.

Haven't been able to watch much else, it's that trying to watch PAC games in Eastern time zone thing. Of course I've only seen Ohio St. play once and that was just one half. Just not a lot of free time on saturday lately.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:26 AM, David Marsh said:

UCLA has problems but I feel they are a more complete team that those I ranked below them. They haven't been tested yet, so hard to say how good they are. 

I have them placed where they are because they return some important pieces. 

But I'm not that convinced yet. 

They could be dangerous that's for sure and we'll get a real taste for this team this Friday when they play Washington. 

Well that makes sense.   Thank you for responding